Discontinued WizVape new portable in 2013

toros23

Just spent about 30 minutes with it after a 3 hour charge.. No way to tell if it charged fully, only three battery level indicators (red/yellow/green). I gotta say, I had very low expectations but this thing sunk so, so, so much lower. Hopefully I am jumping the gun here and this thing will turn out okay, but here goes anyway...

First I tried with .15 grams of flowers using medium grind. Stayed within their recommendations on load size. All testing on highest setting.. Let heat for three 60 second cycles (they recommend two cycles) and made a slight pull.. Nothing.. No flavor, not even any heat. The end of the vape near the heating coil was super hot to touch, so not sure WTF was going on. After 6 mins, I got a super tiny wisp of vapor and a tiny amount of flavor. That is as good as it got.. Went 10 mins total and still nothing. Dumped the flowers and to my surprise a few specks actually darkened at the bottom but the rest still had plenty of color. Then I doubled up the load, conduction style, and went another 10 mins.. Same thing, couldn't even get it to work with a tight pack. Toasted the very bottom layer, everything else looked the same as it did when I loaded it. The heat is not getting past the bottom layer of herb. I did not try a super-fine grind, not sure if I will.. The thing that makes it such an obvious failure to me is that I am not even getting any good flavor from the terps at any point during heat-up, so I know it is not even getting close to the proper temps.

Next, I loaded up some really nice concentrate and as expected, nothing much to see.. It melted it and turned to a nice amber liquid, but no vapor production I could really see. I could taste it and smell a little, but no real vapor to speak of. What was in there never even burned off completely on highest setting after about 10 mins... I am now out of battery power so I dumped some flowers in there to soak up what is left of the concentrate. I guess I will give it another go in 3 more hours.

Some quick observations on the hardware.. This thing is so small and light, I cannot see how the battery life will be as long as they say. So far I let it charge for 3 hours and only got about 30 mins of use. I also cannot see how it could ever heat the entire load in the so-called crucible. There is a heating coil sitting underneath a glass cup, that's it. There is nothing to direct the heat to the entire load and keep it there, the heat just radiates everywhere from what I can tell. The top of my load was always cool to the touch, even after 10 mins. Not sure what made them think a small cup of glass covered by a plastic cap could provide enough insulation to do what is needed here. Not sure what made me think they could pull it off...

Ever seen a dabbler? Well, take a small glass cup and rest it on the top of the coil and BAM - Wizvape!

Now… I have only spent 30 minutes with this portable so I reserve the right to change my opinion later, but for now I would tell people to direct their attention elsewhere. I'll spend some more time with it later tonight and post my results if they are different. Luckily I paid with CC that is consumer-friendly, so if I cannot get it to work I will be returning regardless of their return policy. By the way, my previous portables are the MFLB, Pax and Solo with my current go-to portable being a Pinnacle.

PS - I see a lot of posts on FC from people looking for a vape that doesn't put off a smell or burn your throat.. This very well just might be the perfect vape in that case! lol

toros23

Bummer! I had high hopes as well. Back to the ascent or maybe the puffit-x.

Well, maybe some of the others can get it to work right. I hate to post my opinions so quickly, but I'd hate to see others pull the trigger until someone can get some good results.

toros23,

toros23

Wowzers....sure hope its just the learning curve.
Yeah, I am seriously hoping you or someone else can prove me wrong once you get yours.

Did u try the whole range of heat settings?
No, I went straight for high. I will do some more testing tonight. Maybe I am overthinking it and giving up too easily, but I cannot see how it is gonna work. It really is just a heating coil with a glass cup on top.

toros23,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Sounds like it'd work about as we'll as putting some herb in the aroma therapy cup that comes with the solo and trying to vape it! Lol

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,
Reactions: toros23

smknochk

nosmknochk
You would think with this thing being in the works for a few yesrs they would get it correct....now I'm not so anxiously waiting for the ups man.

smknochk,
Reactions: Tweek

Poopman525

It is a bit early to be making judgements. However, if it doesn't improve it's pretty sad that it costs more than the ascent. Or maybe thats just a credit to the folks at DV. Again, perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions. Torros is most likely hunched over in a corner as we speak desperately trying to get vapor from this thing. Good luck and thanks for the updates, hopefully we hear from others soon.

Poopman525,

toros23

Just went in for round 2.. Tried again on high setting with the concentrate soaked herb I left in from last time and couldn't see vapor unless I turned out the lights and broke out a flashlight. Gave it about 8 mins on high and gave up.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy... Emptied the contents of the crucible into a Pinnacle bullet, turned my PN to low and a little over a minute later had lots of visible vapor.

Open to ideas.. Not sure I want to waste kief testing this thing, but I think that is next.

I tried the kief, no difference.. Usually when testing a new vape I worry about burning off the flavor and not getting desired medication, but with this thing it is like the session never happened. Put the same material in another vape and flavor is still there, which says a lot about the temps.

Playing with IR thermometer.. Without the crucible installed, pointed directly at the coil after running 10 mins it tops out around 422F. With the crucible installed, the temp pointing at the bottom glass, I got a reading as high as 335F after 10 mins. This is with an empty crucible, BTW. Their literature states up to 500F at bottom of crucible, so that is a 165 degree difference. I know IR thermometers are not always the most accurate, so I guess take this with a grain of salt, but my results seem to confirm what the thermometer is telling me. My ABV comes out really green on highest setting after 10 mins. Can't imagine this is a learning curve issue, I am not entirely new at this vape thing. Twice tonight I started with the Wizvape, got no vapor, then moved same material over to a Pinnacle bullet and on low setting was blowing nice vapor within minutes.

Maybe I have a bad unit? I will try to talk to someone at WizVape tomorrow. Hopefully others do better..

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I'm wondering if its a bad unit also. I'm sure they had to do more extensive temp tests than you did and I can't believe they'd push a vape out the door only hitting in the 330 range. Although stranger things have happened. I've hit a few vapes that for the life of me I couldn't understand how the hell a company ever pushed them to production! Looking forward to hearing what wiz vape has to say. Or atleast how the next member who gets one feels about it.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
You might have a bad unit.

How tight are you packing the crucible? I believe you will need to reduce the amount of air (insulation) so the heat can transfer better through the crucible. How much can the crucible hold if you load it pretty full?

Seems to me like you have a bad unit if you are getting such a low temp reading.

LeTchen

A toute vapeur !
Retailer
With manufacturing operations in Singapore, there is a risk that the resistances are not all the same .... the quality control is not the same as in Europe and Usa

LeTchen,

smknochk

nosmknochk
Damm that's a Buzz kill...I trust u know ur stuff I guess you can't trust every pretty vape with a stir cap.thanks for the review toros23

If mine doesn't work I'm calling the suite at wiz vape if they haven't shut down and moved to singapore..hahah

smknochk,
Reactions: LeTchen

EffedUp

Toros, your results sound like it is only hitting the low 300s. I wonder where the 500 degrees in their spec came from.

Maybe you got a bad unit or something.

The Wiz Vape website claims the primary heating method is radiation and not conduction or convection. Maybe a really loose pack would be better. Maybe it needs constant stirring too since infrared radiation would only be able to heat in a straight path. Seems like stirring on a different axis would be better though.

EffedUp,

toros23

Maybe a really loose pack would be better. Maybe it needs constant stirring too since infrared radiation would only be able to heat in a straight path. Seems like stirring on a different axis would be better though.

I tired loose packs and tight packs.. Half packs, full packs. Fine grinds and medium grinds.. Either this one is broke or it is a total gimmick. I am leaning towards total marketing BS after seeing this ridiculous stir thing in action. Also starting to understand why there were no review units before launch.

I think V&C put it best.. It is like using a Solo with an aromatherapy cup. Not once have I even got a hint of warm air on my pulls, even if I block all the intakes the air is cool with barely any vapor. that is after running on max heat setting for 10+ mins. Seems like the only thing that does not get warm is the herb, the cover and the mouthpiece. Everything below that gets super hot.

toros23,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Well after much contemplation, i went against my better judgement and decided to open up the box(was thinking about just sending it back for a refund.)

Anyway opened it up, charged for 4 hrs (im guessing its charged no way to really tell) packed it up and tried the highest setting and......nothing, no visible vapor, no hot air, just a hot unit. The herb didnt even turn light brown after trying to attempt to get something after 20 mins. I dumped it out and compared to my grinder and its basically the same color still. What a piece of junk. If anyone asks for a preorder for future vapes they should be immediately redirected here. I got this as a gift from my girlfriend so im not out any money but i will be requesting a refund none the less.

Hopefully toros and I just received faulty units, but im not even going to attempt to get a replacement. I will be requesting a straight refund before the company disappears

mrweed

vaporizer review blogger
Also starting to understand why there were no review units before launch.

they haven't send out any. tried to contact them more than once, but never recieved an answer.

i'm very sorry for your loss guys!

mrweed,
Top Bottom