• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

With or without water, your experiences

bleak

Stoner Gear Peddler
Accessory Maker
Thought I was just being snobbish about the "vapo-water" smell, and surprised to find how many others have noticed this! Compared to the combustion days, it seems like many of our tastes have evolved, our flavour perception has shifted and become more finely tuned.
I say that because the vapo-water smell is like 5% as bad as combusion-water. Yet, many of us used to smoke dirty combustion bongs on a daily basis and didn't think it smelled that bad. Nowadays, I can't stand the smell of a used bong, to my nose its exactly the same smell as the cigarette-butt filled ashtray down at the local pub. The vapo-water just smells slightly bitter.

I always thought this smell is a chemical reaction. Like, when the essential oils and weed dust mingle with warm water and oxygen, it causes a very fast process of oxidization and the oils become rancid in hours. But if concentrates don't cause this smell like people are saying (I don't have enough experience with concentrates to confirm this myself), it seems like the oils are not the source of the smell. It has to be something that is removed in the concentrate process (chlorophyll, waxes, plant matter etc). Either that, or the concentration process changes the molecular structure of the oils which reduces the smell (Kinda like decarboxylation - but wouldn't that also reduce the flavor? I don't know. Plus, some concentrate processes don't use heat)

Personally I don't believe the smell is caused by additives/pesticides, or from sub-par weed that hasn't been cured properly. I've vaped around the world, thousands of samples from thousands of growers, in multiple continents. Everything from Ugandan bush weed to American top shelf, commercial, homegrown, "private collection" from growers, stuff has been cured for 3+ years, I've even vaped stuff that is freshly cut from the plant minutes earlier. it all makes the same vapo-water smell in my experience.

C No Ego

Thought I was just being snobbish about the "vapo-water" smell, and surprised to find how many others have noticed this! Compared to the combustion days, it seems like many of our tastes have evolved, our flavour perception has shifted and become more finely tuned.
I say that because the vapo-water smell is like 5% as bad as combusion-water. Yet, many of us used to smoke dirty combustion bongs on a daily basis and didn't think it smelled that bad. Nowadays, I can't stand the smell of a used bong, to my nose its exactly the same smell as the cigarette-butt filled ashtray down at the local pub. The vapo-water just smells slightly bitter.

I always thought this smell is a chemical reaction. Like, when the essential oils and weed dust mingle with warm water and oxygen, it causes a very fast process of oxidization and the oils become rancid in hours. But if concentrates don't cause this smell like people are saying (I don't have enough experience with concentrates to confirm this myself), it seems like the oils are not the source of the smell. It has to be something that is removed in the concentrate process (chlorophyll, waxes, plant matter etc). Either that, or the concentration process changes the molecular structure of the oils which reduces the smell (Kinda like decarboxylation - but wouldn't that also reduce the flavor? I don't know. Plus, some concentrate processes don't use heat)

Personally I don't believe the smell is caused by additives/pesticides, or from sub-par weed that hasn't been cured properly. I've vaped around the world, thousands of samples from thousands of growers, in multiple continents. Everything from Ugandan bush weed to American top shelf, commercial, homegrown, "private collection" from growers, stuff has been cured for 3+ years, I've even vaped stuff that is freshly cut from the plant minutes earlier. it all makes the same vapo-water smell in my experience.

the funk is from the chlorophyll... if you have ever tried liquid chlorophyll supplement the vape water smells like that but more rancid... take grass clippings and put them in water then come back a few days and it smells like vape water

Jethro

I use my Vapcaps with water almost exclusively due to being able to see how thick the vapor is going to be. Different strains with different moisture contents require different heating times and the glass helps me gauge how well I am heating. I could do it without water but I like the cooling effects.

LabPong

bleak......I agree....but for me.....combusted B water is super harsh to my nose....vaped B water is just mildly dirty smelling to me. When I smell the tar from a combustion bowl, bong, or roach.....it is so nasty smelling and makes me gag....lol

bleak

Stoner Gear Peddler
Accessory Maker
bleak......I agree....but for me.....combusted B water is super harsh to my nose....vaped B water is just mildly dirty smelling to me. When I smell the tar from a combustion bowl, bong, or roach.....it is so nasty smelling and makes me gag....lol

Yeah man, thats exactly what I'm saying. I used to DRINK my vapo water back in early days, thinking there might be THC in it :lol: Its mild, compared to combustion water. But compared to vaping dry, the vapo-water still smells a little.

LabPong

Yeah man, thats exactly what I'm saying. I used to DRINK my vapo water back in early days, thinking there might be THC in it :lol: Its mild, compared to combustion water. But compared to vaping dry, the vapo-water still smells a little.

WOW I think I would rater break my glass stems and suck on the chunks over drinking vapor water....ewwwwie
puke.gif

I prefer using a water tool for my vaping. I find dry vapour too harsh on my lungs and, being an asthmatic, is a trigger for symptoms to occur. I use the Arizer 2 solo with a bubbler tool and it does the job fine, but makes it less portable as a trade off. It cools the vapour pretty well and I see that it does filter out some of the tars and stuff a little bit when the water becomes opaque, but I do notice a slight decrease in the vapour flavour. Since I prioritize my health first, I try to use the water tool as much as possible. Plus it lets me go up to higher temperatures from about 190 C to 210 C max for multiple sessions, whereas I can only handle up to about 180 C without one. 220 is still too hot, even with a bubbler.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I see that it does filter out some of the tars and stuff a little bit when the water becomes opaque

There shouldn't be any tars in your vapor, unless you are overheating and combusting. What's giving your water that cloudy color is all the low-temp terpenes and whatnot that condensed out of the vapor (that's where the flavor went).

There shouldn't be any tars in your vapor, unless you are overheating and combusting. What's giving your water that cloudy color is all the low-temp terpenes and whatnot that condensed out of the vapor (that's where the flavor went).
Ah. Good to know.

Does it still act as a filter of sorts for any of the harmful byprodcuts? I'm still guessing that an extra layer of filtration can't hurt.

Last edited:

habitat-fc

Some vapes I prefer with water, like the Grasshopper or the FlowerPot, I find without water these vapes are harsh on my throat. The Evo I like with and without water, both are nice but if I want a higher temperature then its definitely smoother with water.

I find that the Grasshopper is an unusual vape in that the vapour tastes better after water filtration, this is unique in my collection. I don't understand how this could be.

Then other vapes I prefer dry such as Milaana, SSV and Omnivap XL, I notice I prefer the hit off of these vapes with no water.

So for me it depends on which vape I'm using.

C No Ego

Ah. Good to know.

Does it still act as a filter of sorts for any of the harmful byprodcuts? I'm still guessing that an extra layer of filtration can't hurt.
my vape water is so stinky there is certainly some absorption going on. the lipophilic phytocannabinoid compounds in cannabis are not water soluble so do not stick in there... just any water soluble material in the vapor will lodge into the water when going through it

florduh

My daily driver is the TAF Saionara. The only "harshness" I ever experience is when terps hit you in the back of the throat. Water does little to prevent that. But I still usually use it with water because I can use a directional carb cap, that leads to more even heating and more satisfying hits.

I should test using my water piece dry.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I started without water using all -glass airpath and convection... Eventually i got tired of coughing and irittating the back of my throat with hot vapour. I got a bubbler and it feels great... but it does mean I am getting more medicated than I want sometimes, it's easy to get carried away when the vapour is cool.

I was pleased to find that the d020 bubbler does not mean loss of flavour. Another, bigger bong I had tried before took out too much of the good flavour which is why I was sticking with dry vaping for a while. I think the small size and very open/ unobstructed and relatively direct air path of the d020 help to get the terpenes through.

Ramahs

Ah. Good to know.

There shouldn't be much of anything harmful in there, but sure...it couldn't hurt.

For me, it just depends on mood. If I want all the flavor, I vape dry...when I want larger hits, I use water.
I rarely dab dry though....but once in a while I want to go to flavor-town there as well :spliff:

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I run my solo II through water and ice and like the coooool Vapor. Change my water after every session.

hans solo,
Reactions: arb

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@arb that’s got an awful lot of diffusion with 2 matrix-y percs, so wouldn’t be first choice for the Nano. If you’re referring to clearance, then yes I believe the nano with gong will be fine and clear of the can. If you appreciate the flavour your nano delivers of your flowers, I’d look for less diffusion imho. But you know me.

pxl_jockey,
Reactions: arb

arb

Semi shaved ape
Well shit......trial and error as usual.
Should be ok with my lsv and oils on high temps at least.

arb

Semi shaved ape
IMG_20180921_182301.jpg

Turns out I really like this piece it does not take out too much flavor and produces large,smooth clouds.
The issue is I now have several more pieces on the way and still looking at others.
I got gas and you all gave it to me........lolz.

Ramahs

Well shit......trial and error as usual.
Should be ok with my lsv and oils on high temps at least.

Go ahead and use that for a while, then get something later with a simple diffuser (one or two holes at the end of the downstem, and as little water as necessary), and you'll see how much more flavor is saved with less diffusion.

With smoke, you want maximum diffusion and plenty of water. With vapor, you want minimal diffusion and minimal water.

Not that you won't enjoy that piece, of course.
So, congrats on the new glass! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

P.S -
Oooh. What's that sculpture looking thing in the back left of the photo?

arb

Semi shaved ape
Go ahead and use that for a while, then get something later with a simple diffuser (one or two holes at the end of the downstem, and as little water as necessary), and you'll see how much more flavor is saved with less diffusion.

With smoke, you want maximum diffusion and plenty of water. With vapor, you want minimal diffusion and minimal water.

Not that you won't enjoy that piece, of course.
So, congrats on the new glass! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

P.S -
Oooh. What's that sculpture looking thing in the back left of the photo?
IMG_20180925_072131_hdr.jpg

Thanks for the advice and it is a Gary Ross piece.

Gigsabits53

I use water 80-90% of the time. Found a decent bubbler with a matrix perc and I can barely tell the difference in flavor with or without water. The only bad thing about it is the mouthpiece. Its flat, not flared, and I hate that. I have a few others but the matrix perc has worked the best for me.

Top Bottom