Winterizing Rosin - Educate me please :)

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Very good videos and very good editing, thanks a lot...rly on the jump right now to order a magnetic steering/heating plate and some syringes/filters to try with my rosin...workflow would be adding the terpenes to the rosin first..mixing it up on the steering/heating plate and get it then filtered right?
But is the consitency liquid enuf ? In ur other video with winterizing i see u mixing the rosin with 1:10 alc
before filtering, i cannot imagine 10% terps would get the rosin to the same comsistency liquid state..?

Last edited:
gunmetalshark,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

Decarbing probably would help with carts, because decarbed concentrate is sappy. You'll lose all of the terps and be left with hashy tasting sap. You'd probably get the best results doing both, if you don't mind losing most of the flavor and entourage effects.

Decarb in a glass jar with a sealed lid, throw that in a hot water bath. You wont really lose any terps and it will
Turn the rosin into a distillate type consistency.

Mynameismud,
Reactions: EmDeemo
Just curious, has anyone ever tried distilling rosin as a way to polish and decarb it? I ask because I recently did some reclaim dabs of this beautiful golden honey from the stem of my banger (from low temp dabbing) and it seemed to be every bit as potent as fresh rosin and actually tastier.

Heisenburger,

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Can anyone tell me why its so important to purge 100% of the ethanol after winterizing before filling into
carts, i do not have a vac chamber yet to get out the very last bit but i also see tons of liquids that contain a
certain % of alc and get consumed all day long.

i see a point for a dry alcoholic or after blasting with BHO/Dexso or something but i wouldn´t care if there´s a tap of alc inside ..?

Enlighten me pls :)

gunmetalshark,
Reactions: PPN

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I think a full evaporation is enough with ethanol, I wouldn't worry too much about a fraction of 1 percent... although if you add some soft heat you can evap most of the residual ethanol.

PPN,

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
So, now I finally got the time to test the winterizing as @Mark shows in his videos.
My starting Material was 3G Flower Rosin pressed trough 160micron bags, I bought several syringes/Filters and
a magnetic steerer/heating plate and the first steps where u mix the all with the rosin and then let it steer worked flawlessly.
Problem that I encountered was that I had to use like 5 33mm Filters (exact same as shown in the video) to process my
alc/rosin mix...reason is I had two blowouts were I think a totally sealed filter caused the problem so I just used a filter until I felt it would nearly blow...good thing is it blew out to the side so it didn't get into my alrdy filtered mixture :)

the now filtered rosin/alc mix stood on the heating plate with steerer enabled for like 3h at 90C...that was when I measured the weight and from my 3G were only about 1,75G left, that's when I took the steerer away and let it sit on the heating plate for another 3h..I weighted the solution every 15-30mins, my solution went from the mentioned 1,75 to about 1,66 that's when I stopped, there is zero alc smell left and no taste aswell...I feel like there is maybe a tiny amount left but as also e-cig liquids use some alc for flavor I don't think that's a problem in carts..

I filled up 4 Ccells, 2 with 1,6mm hole, 1 with 1,8 and 1 with 2,0 and I have to say the difference is minor, all work very well with my 100% rosin carts..I didn't use any added terps or liquidizer and the consistent is still very thick but none the less it works :)

Flavor wise u can. def feel that a lot of (flavor) terps are lost, also they are not very discret when consuming...rly smells mostly like a dab at exhale. :lol: But they hit very nice, I don't want to add anything and did a 37micron bag press today...I hope this way I don't get the filters so dirty and can use some less...it also 3g again to see the direct difference :)
Pretty happy with the outcome but time and bud consuming, today with 37 micron I did 3g out of 20g bud pressen...if I think about loosing at least 1G again that's about 4 carts filled ^^

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Filtered my 37micron 3g today and had the same expirience as before...needed 5 syringe filters to get the whole ~40ml alc/rosin filtered so pressing through a tighter mesh did not rly help out as expected :p

What i am still curious about is how much winterized rosin will be left at the end..hope its a bit more than the 1.66g last time.

Maybe ill try a coffe filter before next time or i rly need to buy like a 100 pack of filters lool.

I rly like the end product, seems to me to be the way i need the smallest amount, is pretty stealth and nearly no side products but kinda complicated to produce and im still not totally happy with my workflow :)

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Ok, this time i managed to get 1,78g out after about 6h that i let it sit an the heating plate..thats a bit more then on the last run (0,12g) and seems to be cuz of the thinner mesh and therefore more clean starting material but at the end still 4 carts like the run before hehe :)
I will let the carts sit now for a day or two and try em out then but as its the same strain i dont think there will be much of a difference :)

Ok, this time i managed to get 1,78g out after about 6h that i let it sit an the heating plate..thats a bit more then on the last run (0,12g) and seems to be cuz of the thinner mesh and therefore more clean starting material but at the end still 4 carts like the run before hehe :)
I will let the carts sit now for a day or two and try em out then but as its the same strain i dont think there will be much of a difference :)

Good luck with your experiments, I abandoned my winterizing method because it's easier and cheaper just to vape it "dirty" and replace carts more often.

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
With Rosin alone (Flower, not hash) my carts clogg up to much and to soon,
most of the time the last 1/3 is barely useable and i get somethimes better hits, sometims worse....those winterized carts work way better, on the next run i will try to use less temp while evaporatinc the alc out of it to preserve more terps and get a lighter color :)

But u are correct it is def. more time/money/bud consuming than just using Rosin as is :)

windtrader

With Rosin alone (Flower, not hash) my carts clogg up to much and to soon,
most of the time the last 1/3 is barely useable and i get somethimes better hits, sometims worse....those winterized carts work way better, on the next run i will try to use less temp while evaporatinc the alc out of it to preserve more terps and get a lighter color :)

But u are correct it is def. more time/money/bud consuming than just using Rosin as is :)
Winterizing to remove the waxes and lipids that cause cart clogging clearly is effective. All my cart clogging incidents disappeared once winterizing QWISO and filtering to 10 microns in sub zero freezer.

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
How do you filter if u dont mind me asking, as said its a pita to get my alc/rosin solution trough the syringe filters,
the gum up quickly and i have to use several as stated..and with what kind of ratio are you working, i use 1:10 rosin/alc...maybe i should add more alc but at the end of the day the lipids that clogg up my filters remain the same ^^

gunmetalshark,
So, I stumbled upon something once that I never got around to experimenting more with...

I wanted to see what I would get by cold evaporating through aeration without any heat, so I put some solution on the magnetic stirrer with a CPU fan on top of the beaker pointed up. I don't know exactly how long it took, but I checked it after about 12 hours and the stir bar was stuck. A really dark green (almost black) tar-like substance formed all over the stirrer and sides of the beaker. Most of the solution was still unevaporated so I poured that off and heat purged the rest of the way, I don't know if it was completely filtered but it was nice and clean.

The gunk came right off the utensils with hot water.

Heisenburger,

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
One more thing that's still hovering around my mind...wikipedia and many other sites state that the temp
alc evaporates is at about 78,xx°C but from what I know and see it alrdy evaporates at room temp...the guy in the video also says that the water temp is just 37°C...am I using way too much heat at 90°C ? It makes sense from what I've seen at Marks videos and what wiki says but this video makes me curious again....?

gunmetalshark,
One more thing that's still hovering around my mind...wikipedia and many other sites state that the temp
alc evaporates is at about 78,xx°C but from what I know and see it alrdy evaporates at room temp...the guy in the video also says that the water temp is just 37°C...am I using way too much heat at 90°C ? It makes sense from what I've seen at Marks videos and what wiki says but this video makes me curious again....?

78C is boiling point, ethanol will evaporate well below that.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
You'll want to evaporate ethyl alcohol with good ventilation away from flame. Some folks just cover with cheese cloth and evap outside in the shade.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Many filter their liquid with a Buchner Funnel which filters with vacuum assist. After chilling, fats and waxes form a soft ball that remains in the funnel.

Jesus, look at all that oil that's still in the round flask at the end of the video. They don't try to collect that in some way? I could vape for months just on the loss with each transfer.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: macbill
Jesus, look at all that oil that's still in the round flask at the end of the video. They don't try to collect that in some way? I could vape for months just on the loss with each transfer.

They probably just use a heat gun lightly on the glass while it's upside down, starting from the top. The oil will flow away from the heat so you can work it down and out.

Heisenburger,

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Thanks for the input, next time i will try and use well lower temp on my Magnet steering/heat plate and let it sit longer ! :)

gunmetalshark,

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
So as im right now looking for a small batch buchner funnel setup (up to 10g) this is what i came up with
for now, i would like to hear some opinions if that will work as i expect it too :)

Feeding Bottle :
https://www.carlroth.com/de/de/Labo...material/Saugflaschen-und-Dichtungen/Rotilabo<sup>®<-sup>-Saugflaschen/p/0000000f000255a600010023_de?text=NY65.1

(100ml)

Buchner Funnel :
https://www.carlroth.com/de/de/Labo...chner-Trichter)/p/00000000000364db00060023_de

(125ml)

Vac Pump :

i would love to use this
https://www.fishersci.de/shop/products/pvc-vacuman-vacuum-pump/10688242

small and easy stowable anywhere...would that be enuf ?

and if not

file:///C:/Users/rundphi/Downloads/Data_Sheet_N86KN-18__E210.pdf

i want to use that one to have no hassle with oil, those are dry running but as i am no expert on pumps..will this one work..?

And final question, anyone know where i can get 55mm Filters with like 0,45 micron ..?

gunmetalshark,
Top Bottom