Winegums' Woodcraft

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
No idea if this will work for you, I had 4 attempts at the piece before I made the jig up.
One side is cut short on each of the pieces of angle. It all got clean cut and started again.
4veBqvhm.jpg
Umqwhw8m.jpg
SDfh3Zvm.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
14mm Vapcap WonG with glass inside please!
Just to get this straight you're looking for a glass lined VonG body to avoid reclaim soaking into the wood? With my stems and vapcap wood stems the wood isn't exposed to vapour, only clean air in normal use. Though if you don't clean the piece you can get reclaim dripping onto the wood from the tip area.

I had a think over of it. If I could find SS tubing that was 8mm ID that I could line the stem with, it would prevent reclaim from soaking in. It would also make the stem pretty much unbreakable from a splitting apart stand point. I might end up doing this for all my stems anyways to increase the strength and open some new possibilities up like adding bronze rings to my stems. I wouldn't add any cost for this as it would be a major improvement to my products and the tubing would be a consistent diameter.

I also thought over the glass lined stem idea too and it would work, but I would have to hand fit each stem and buy the glass parts from dynavap or raw glass tubing and cut it my self which would increase the price. I'm willing to go this route but it's not going to be the easiest nor the cheapest.

No idea if this will work for you, I had 4 attempts at the piece before I made the jig up.
One side is cut short on each of the pieces of angle. It all got clean cut and started again.
4veBqvhm.jpg
Umqwhw8m.jpg
SDfh3Zvm.jpg

I ended up doing something similar with a vise, two stiff planks in the vice like rails and one clamp end to end. It's an absolute pain in the butt to get the pressure right but so so worth it. You would be surprised how little pressure is actually needed, even finger pressure is enough ( but who has the patience to hold a wood blank for 30 mins while it dries?).

Last edited:

Squiby

14mm Vapcap WonG with glass inside please!
Just to get this straight you're looking for a glass lined VonG body to avoid reclaim soaking into the wood? With my stems and vapcap wood stems the wood isn't exposed to vapour, only clean air in normal use. Though if you don't clean the piece you can get reclaim dripping onto the wood from the tip area.

The Dynavap VonGs fit over a stainless steel condenser just like their straight bodies and stems and the wood is not exposed to the vapor airpath.

Would a glass or stainless steel lined custom VonG still fit over the stainless steel condenser or does it take the place of one?

I get that the ss would reinforce the VonG strength wise, but what does a glass lined one do? Is it to have a glass airpath rather than use the ss condenser?

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
The Dynavap VonGs fit over a stainless steel condenser just like their straight bodies and stems and the wood is not exposed to the vapor airpath.

Would a glass or stainless steel lined custom VonG still fit over the stainless steel condenser or does it take the place of one?

I get that the ss would reinforce the VonG strength wise, but what does a glass lined one do? Is it to have a glass airpath rather than use the ss condenser?
The idea is to protect the wood from absorbing any reclaim. The standard stainless steel condenser will fit inside the stainless steel tube.

An additional plus will be that it keeps any glue or other things in the stem construction from being in the air path. Since it will be all stainless or titanium, it should be cleaner tasting when using the carb. I also believe it will prevent wear on the o-rings a little bit as the stainless will be very smooth. Over all this should be easier to clean and assemble as well as being more durable. A solid improvement in my eyes.

Last edited:

DreamHaze

Psychonaughty
So, you're making a condom for the Arizer Air stems?
I would totally buy one. Almost broke this one stem like 7 times already.

DreamHaze,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
So, you're making a condom for the Arizer Air stems?
I would totally buy one. Almost broke this one stem like 7 times already.
Either a slip on style aka like a condom, or a threaded style that would work with the tipped stems. I've yet to determine which route will be taken with these stems as I'm waiting on the glass for prototyping.

EDIT: Totally for got to post that these two stems are up in my store.

Taper #1
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/500895864/wooden-taper-body-1-for-vapcap-ti?ref=shop_home_active_1
il_fullxfull.1149828108_spm1.jpg

Amphora #11
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/514...-body-11-for-vapcap-ti?ref=shop_home_active_2
il_fullxfull.1149825840_8c6d.jpg

Last edited:

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Just to get this straight you're looking for a glass lined VonG body to avoid reclaim soaking into the wood? With my stems and vapcap wood stems the wood isn't exposed to vapour, only clean air in normal use.

My idea was to have a wood on glass adapter with a glass lined inside to be used directly with the Ti tip without the condenser to allow for a shorter connector.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
This is likely all I will do for today. The walnut didn't quite have the figure in it I thought it did. It's very smooth and balanced but bland to my eyes. There's a sister piece that might have more promise.

The t-shirt blank turned out really interesting. It acts like fine liner on a water colour painting.

As always these will be up for sale in my Etsy store shortly.
25q98hy.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Winegums, these are amazing. Are these 18mm tapers?
Most of them are meant for 14mm and some will fit 18mm. I can always make something that will work with 18 mm if wanted. You can message me about any pieces you're interested in and I can confirm the fitment of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't wait for my Stainless tubing to arrive so I can get to work on some really interesting pieces. I'm aiming for something closer to what I do in my knife handles, which involves laminating different metal sheets. Some materials aren't suitable for a vapour path or require glues that aren't exactly what you want in the vapour path. Metals like Bronze are notoriously hard to bond materials to so the stainless will become the core of the piece.

fuhs0.jpg

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I had a relaxed day in the shop and made a little bit of material for a custom order. I've got lots of stuff arriving this week that should drastically increase what I can do.

The t-shirt madness continues with this piece and it should have a darker tone than my previous pieces.

k99vo5.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I've got great news for those looking for threaded Arizer Air mouth pieces. I found a matching tap and drill bit that will work for the stems and will have a prototype ready around noon tomorrow morning. They should screw onto the threaded mouth pieces with no issue and will be stainless steel lined.

The glass stem is another story. It will be very difficult to make a wood sleeve for them and it will be rather clunky in comparison to the threaded pieces I create. Call me lazy but I'm not one to fight an up hill battle for a hollow victory.

Last edited:

Prolusio

For me at least, the stainless steel lined wooden stems you have suggested are just as good if not more so than a glass lined wooden stem. I'm not too fussy on the best flavour chasing, so I think having the added strength/consistency of steel is definitely the way to go. As long as it fits my device I have no problem with SS; so if it's easier for you to develop designs with that material I am all for it.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
For me at least, the stainless steel lined wooden stems you have suggested are just as good if not more so than a glass lined wooden stem. I'm not too fussy on the best flavour chasing, so I think having the added strength/consistency of steel is definitely the way to go. As long as it fits my device I have no problem with SS; so if it's easier for you to develop designs with that material I am all for it.

I should probably explain my aversion to glass inside of wood a bit more as it might seem like I don't like it. The opposite is true, I love glass especially borosilicate glass. It's the gold standard for chemical resistance, flavour, neutrality, ease of cleaning, and is Chemist backed and approved. I've put hundreds of hours into studying glass blowing and lamp work because I originally intended to do it for a living. I had ideas to make an entire series of ocean based pipes and water pieces with beautiful colours. That all fell through though and I ended up getting into the furniture making business with my dad. Which has lead me to where I am today working with wood. I hope this conveys how much I love glass.

The issue with putting Wood and glass together is how they are formed and shaped. Making wood stems and wood working in general is very close to the world of machining and straight lines. The act of removing material in a linear fashion is how the majority of all production is done. Wood working is a subtractive art.

Glass on the other hand is an additive art media that is plastic in nature when heated, thus it always has an organic nature to it. Gravity, surface tension and other factors all control how it moves and solidifies, and thus glass is never perfectly straight unless it is ground after the fact. And there lays the rub, the organic nature of glass to deform and have variances clashes hard with the straight lines of wood working.

The fitment between the two isn't easy unless the glass is treated like the wood and ground to shape or threads are formed in the glass. So unfortunately I will not be offering glass lined products.

Top Bottom