Winegums' Woodcraft

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I did another blue maple stem yesterday and have plans to see how some other colours go today.
1MwIag8.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I worked on a prototype vape station this afternoon. I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy about the design or not. I wanted it to hold 18mm, 14mm, steel/magnetic items, and thinner things around the size of a pencil. The wood is 3/4" deep and the bottom is 1/4" thick. The main hole in the middle for grinder trays is 2-1/8" wide.

Thoughts?
F5xhPjo.jpg

gC11jsz.jpg

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Congrats. Finally you've made something like that!

A first nice step but you should screw some holes of different sizes into the unused space for holding adapters, dabbers, brushes, pliers and other vape/dabber tools.
Is it the same size as you abv tray? Would like to see a pic with both items side by side.

I prefer a longer rectangular tray out of a more vivid grained wood to hold more DV (up to ten, at least five?) with an integrated little box for replacement parts (screens, o-rings, hemp etc).

Maybe a modular piece (abv tray, tool and DV holder, base part with drawer etc) where all pieces fit together regarding size and wood?

And don't only think about VC owners. There are other vapes out there with a need for stashing a lot of parts as the NewVape Flower Pot for example. Edwyn from NV is already producing something like that out of alu for the FP but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of users who would prefer something like that out of wood.

59d3f22b6663fb64ec6939f5d01a8708.jpg

102fcec67ea761bba3a7730895ed9a19.jpg

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Congrats. Finally you've made something like that!

A first nice step but you should screw some holes of different sizes into the unused space for holding adapters, dabbers, brushes, pliers and other vape/dabber tools.
Is it the same size as you abv tray? Would like to see a pic with both items side by side.

I was already thinking about some smaller holes for other tools and what not. It's roughly the same size as the ABV box, 1/8" larger.
45Dr7sO.jpg

I prefer a longer rectangular tray out of a more vivid grained wood to hold more DV (up to ten, at least five?) with an integrated little box for replacement parts (screens, o-rings, hemp etc).

Maybe a modular piece (abv tray, tool and DV holder, base part with drawer etc) where all pieces fit together regarding size and wood?

I've been thinking about a modular design for a while but I haven't quite figured out what I want. I feel like I'm getting closer though.

And don't only think about VC owners. There are other vapes out there with a need for stashing a lot of parts as the NewVape Flower Pot for example. Edwyn from NV is already producing something like that out of alu for the FP but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of users who would prefer something like that out of wood.

59d3f22b6663fb64ec6939f5d01a8708.jpg

102fcec67ea761bba3a7730895ed9a19.jpg

I'm sure I could make something out of wood for the flower pot if I had all the dimensions. If anyone really wants a tray for their FP I'd be happy to design one with them.

Last edited:

Hogni

Why don't you integrate the tray features into the ABV box testwise?
Would only need a thicker piece of wood for the lid I guess?
For sure an interesting space-saving alternative for some people. I for myself prefer the pure form factor of the ABV box.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Good news for those that are looking for pieces with Blackwood accents. I've found and ordered Ebonite rods which will hopefully replace the fragile wood which has caused so much trouble. While Black Walnut is a good dark wood that can replace it, it's not a true black. Ebonite however is a beautiful solid black, see the Sailor pen below.

sailor-king-of-pen-gold-king-eagle-black-ebonite-uncapped.jpg

Ebonite is a hard vulcanized rubber that behaves like a plastic and is warm to the touch. It takes a high gloss polish and was originally developed to replace Ebony wood.

b2mcC9a.jpg

tAJ72KZ.jpg

SfDjxbx.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I worked on a second version of my organizer/ABV bin. It combines both ideas into one and ditches the space for the grinder which wasn't really working out anyways. I know that the laminated lid is a bit busy and I plan do do laminated sides with a solid top for production instead. This was more so a design exercise as to whether I like the placement of the holes and the over all form.

jxDHuJ5.jpg

Last edited:

Hogni

Nice! For sure one of your best vape pieces IMO.
Would like to see all the holes filled with VCs and tools to get an idea what they are suitable for.
Perhaps you should give horizontal composite woods a chance? Monowooden surface and you can look into the holes along different kinds of woods - hope you're understanding what I mean.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Nice! For sure one of your best vape pieces IMO.
Would like to see all the holes filled with VCs and tools to get an idea what they are suitable for.
Perhaps you should give horizontal composite woods a chance? Monowooden surface and you can look into the holes along different kinds of woods - hope you're understanding what I mean.
You mean like this? There's a fair bit of work and material waste involved with making pieces of plywood. It wouldn't be very efficient or easy for me to produce in my shop. I agree it would look pretty though, not with bright colours but natural wood tones.
rainbow-colors-handmade-wooden-spoon-wood-intarsia-layered-color-block-stripes-1stopretroshop-z51069-6.jpg

There's an 18mm, 14mm, two 7/16" and three 1/4" holes with a 1 inch ABV hole and a 10mm magnet. I'm not completely happy with the spacing and placement of the holes and plan it work on that tomorrow.
uLrbdWL.jpg

f80RiMt.jpg

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Perhaps you should take your Instagram adress to your signature? ;)
Good point, I should!

https://www.instagram.com/winegums/
I didn't realise you were going to do scales on a cylinder, that'll be really tactile when it's finished.

Nice to see the practice piece on IG, excellent stuff.
Yeah, I didn't think I was going to either but I had to know how it would look. I originally planned to put it on some cases and stands for grip in certain areas. I might experiment with some knot work carving at some point too. At that point I'd have to start forging my own chisels though.

The scales are interesting as they have directional grip, it's easier to slide your fingers from the tip to the mouth piece than the other way. The little accent cuts make it very easy to roll in your fingers and offer a lot of grip in that direction. Anyone want carved grip sections near the tip?

Something I missed out on was checking where this stem fit in a female joint before carving, as it no longer seals. I'm rediscovering my omni's airflow adjustment right now and taking a break from my glass as a consequence.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Later today I should have some good pictures of the desk stands/ abv bins. I had a lot of failures when I was trying to do the laminated lids. The side grain blew out on quite a few of them when they were in the router. Only one ended up surviving unfortunately. I'll have to make more laminate and try again with some stronger edge wood like Oak.

I also took another shot of the scaled stem after cleaning out some of the wood bits, but there's still more. :ko:
sMfqrtx.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I'm in the process of using up all my blackwood and so far only this 14mm body has made it through to the end. :shrug:I expected there to be failures with this wood, but it always surprises me how easily it cracks.

If you've messaged me in the past about wanting one of these please send me a fresh PM with the size and length. As much as I love this design it's a challenge everytime I try to make it due to the wood.
bgH4MaL.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I'll be heading out of the country on Janurary 23 through to February 2. I'll be keeping my store open this time but I will not be able to ship out until after I'm back. I hope everyone understands! This will be the last time I'm away for quite a while. I have time for custom orders before I leave if anyone is interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been thinking about ordering an induction heater to make cases for them but the lead time (2-3 mo) has grown too much for me. I'm sorry if anyone wanted something like this from me but it's looking less and less like I'm going to get my hands on one. :shrug:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also had this happen yesterday. My blackwood vong split in half and fell off of the steel core. I luckily found one more piece of blackwood that would work and turned an 18mm with no carb hole this time. This wood makes me so nervous, that I'm afraid to look at it wrong lest it split on me.

Kpj1VmN.jpg

I also spent some time in the shop the day before at my BIG wood turning lathe and made a handle for my hand forged V shaped chisel on the left. I enjoy making my own tools as it allows me to have exactly what I need without having to spend a lot of money.

9VHTeiX.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom