1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Will this PTC heater work as a heating element for a vaporizer?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Goatbass, May 14, 2018.

1. Goatbass

Goatbass DIWhy

This is the heating element I am talking about. I am lurking in the forums right now looking to build a simple handheld vaporizer with most of the parts sourced from AliExpress

2. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Shaman of The Pyramid of Orlin'Malah

Probably yes. You can try and attach it to a quartz banger with a SS or TI hose clamp and dab off that :)). It wont be powerful enough for heating air though.

Goatbass likes this.
  3. Goatbass

Goatbass DIWhy

Ahh. How would I know if the element is good enough to heat air for convection vaping?

4. Abysmal Vapor

Well first of all you will have to insulate it because it has samo electric tape on it and is unknown material.Also you will have to figure something that comes in contact with air and is ok to breath. Check the Glass Symphony Thread, you will see that the heater goes up to 600-700 F so air can reach vaping temps and thats for 100-150w heater.
    Do you have some concept in mind ?
    If you like you can check the Halo-log thread (http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/halo-log.26518/)
    Halogen bulbs are fine heat sources.

Goatbass likes this.
  5. Goatbass

Goatbass DIWhy

Well, I already made this from jerry rigging different atomizer parts and o rings, inspired by pipes.

[​IMG]

But the problem is that I used a wood drip tip as the air passage between the Tsunami's coils to the herb chamber I borrowed from a Serpent Mini's atomizer cover.

Another thing I'd like to have is a desktop that's super efficient. Everyone keeps saying log vapes so I'm getting the resistor now but I'd like to know in depth more about heating elements and heating methods that ensure efficiency in extraction.

6. Abysmal Vapor

Ahah nice Franken vape! Yes logvapes are efficient but i prefer halogen heat source to logvape resistors. Quicker heatup and more precise control.

Goatbass likes this.
  7. Goatbass

Goatbass DIWhy

Problem with halogen vapes are that they aren't exactly inconspicuous. A log vape can be easily stashed away or made to look like something else. Halogen vapes look like rice cookers. I could be wrong but that's the impression I have. I'm here to learn!

Another reason I'm doing this is because vaporizers can be really expensive in my country. A Vapcap was a fifth of my salary lol. So it's best I make my own.

Abysmal Vapor likes this.
  8. Abysmal Vapor

You can wrap the mesh with layers of SS mesh to dim the light and use SS tube instead of glass.
    http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/l...ign-and-build-thread-formerly-b1.26241/page-4
    Check out this project. There are quite a few nice ones in the DIY section.
    Haha i guess both our countries offer similar salaries.. We are considered the poorest in the EU ,life is tough on the Balkans . I wish you good luck with your DIYs ,hope you figure out a worthy concept.

9. Goatbass

Goatbass DIWhy

Thank you so much for this link! Would you suggest I start a new thread for my project once I have a clearer idea or should I use this thread? I have so many questions, though.

10. Abysmal Vapor

Well maybe it is best if you start a new one. We made quite a mess with back to back posts. ,probably would have been best if we took it to PM.
    This one is better suited for the ASK FC section.

Goatbass likes this.
  11. lazylathe

lazylathe Almost there...

The MiniVap uses a similar heating element.
    Longer, narrower and encased in a yellow plastic, Kapton film.
    It is then encased in an aluminum foam core that is inserted into either a Teflon or glass core.
    That is then surrounded by a thermal barrier stuff to keep all the heat inside.

So yes it can be used but you have to think a lot about insulating and containing the heat!

Goatbass likes this.
  12. Goatbass

Goatbass DIWhy

Thank you so much for this! Been reading all the stuff in the forums by you. I'm glad vaporizing has such a great community! I think I'll go for a halogen vaporizer. Seems easier. Airport design seems to be a bit tricky through.

lazylathe likes this.
  13. lazylathe

If you have the halogen isolated in the glass tube and keep it fairly short, you could grind in two slots for the wires to rest in. Think 90 degrees to the bulb.
    Air ports could be ground into the glass, sizes regulating airflow.
    Less metal in air path to heat up.
    It could be a very compact and small design!

14. Goatbass

Goatbass DIWhy

Abysmal Vapor and I talked over this in PM. I'm going to source the bulb in a few days and come up with stuff that's super easy for a third world country person to manage and then give the specs here. I first wanted to do The Project but realised that getting the housings will be very tough and some of the aliexpress links were dead.

AtomicPB and lazylathe like this.
  15. lazylathe

Can't beat open source community driven projects!

AtomicPB likes this.
  16. Goatbass

Goatbass DIWhy

A mighty costs a month's salary in Bangladesh. I have to make my own vaporizers if I want true quality! Coming from Reddit, loving the community here and looking forward to be a part of FC! Thanks for the help! Next post should be from the workbench.

AtomicPB and lazylathe like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors