• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

will this method of making hash oil work?

Bouldorado

That method will work, but you'll get very low quality hash with that long of a soak time. You can use that guide, but for step 3, only let the weed soak for ~1 minute max. Any longer than that and you'll start extracting chlorophyl and other plant matter, making the hash harsh and taste bad.

bad ninja

Repensum Est Canicula
I never allow plant matter to soak longer than 30 seconds for very high quality product

Use a paper coffee filter for the final " strain"
But pour the alcohol off the plant matter quickly to reduce soak time first
Plant matter will clog the filter and allow green nasties in ye oil

Then pour the liquid through a coffee filter. Evaporate in a Pyrex dish using double boiler method
Water at 180 deg f
Slow evaporate so you preserve the terpenes.
Scrape and enjoy

clouded vision

Also freeze your ground up bud and alcohol for 24 hours before you start and try to keep everything as cold as possible while the alcohol and weed are mixed. This keeps the water in the alcohol frozen so you don't pick up as much chlorophyll and plant waxes.

poonman

I never allow plant matter to soak longer than 30 seconds for very high quality product

Use a paper coffee filter for the final " strain"
But pour the alcohol off the plant matter quickly to reduce soak time first
Plant matter will clog the filter and allow green nasties in ye oil

Then pour the liquid through a coffee filter. Evaporate in a Pyrex dish using double boiler method
Water at 180 deg f
Slow evaporate so you preserve the terpenes.
Scrape and enjoy

This is our 2nd session ....hehe

How do you pour the iso off the weed quickly , so Not to let it soak ?
or do you mean start straining as quickly as possible ?
and
Do you ever do a 2nd qwiso rinse with the same used weed to get a 2nd reclaim ?

tia

bad ninja

Repensum Est Canicula
This is our 2nd session ....hehe

How do you pour the iso off the weed quickly , so Not to let it soak ?
or do you mean start straining as quickly as possible ?
and
Do you ever do a 2nd qwiso rinse with the same used weed to get a 2nd reclaim ?

tia
I wash the buds with ISO in a jar for 30 secs
Then I use my fingers to hold back most of the bud as I transfer the USO into another jar
Then I do it again using a coffee filter into a Pyrex dish

Also freeze your ground up bud and alcohol for 24 hours before you start and try to keep everything as cold as possible while the alcohol and weed are mixed. This keeps the water in the alcohol frozen so you don't pick up as much chlorophyll and plant waxes.
I never freeze the bud or alcohol
This is a solvent extraction not bubble hash
Freezing the oil in the trichomes heads makes it harder for the alcohol to dissolve them.
ISO works better at room temp as a solvent
And oils are more easy dissolved unfrozen

I want to use a no heat method.
Better to do very small batches.
ISO takes forever to evap at room temp... Days.

Leaving it out allows dust to contaminate the product

Not a good idea.

Covering it slows the process to a halt and causes the water trapped in the iso to start to get funky after a few days

I understand why people WANT to try doing this at room temp but it's more trouble than its worth in my opinion

You need to b able to evap the solvent without damaging the terpenes
You won't affect the thc at 140 but terpenes change at around 120 the longer they cook the more they degrade.
It's a trade off.

Last edited:
bad ninja,

clouded vision

alcohol is semi polar though so it picks up chlorophyll and waxes much more easily at room temperature which is what you are trying to avoid by a quick wash. You might leave some behind but you will get a much higher quality product, plus you can always do a second wash to get what you left behind.

clouded vision,

poonman

I wash the bus with USO in a jar for 30 secs
Then I use my fingers to hold back most of the bud as I transfer the USO into another jar
Then I do it again using a coffee filter into a Pyrex dish

I never freeze the bud or alcohol
This is a solvent extraction not bubble hash
Freezing the oil in the trichomes heads makes it harder for the alcohol to dissolve them.
ISO works better at room temp as a solvent
And oils are more easy dissolved unfrozen

I've been freezing my ground up buds in a mason jar along with a bottle of iso . ( only 12 hrs tho )
That's what I've heard and read , to freeze for 12 to 24 hrs first .
I'm wondering , if that's the reason why I'm not getting more yield .

I'll have to do more research on the freezing process.

I find my 2nd rinse is def. greener , and less yield , but still has a kick .

poonman,

bad ninja

Repensum Est Canicula
alcohol is semi polar though so it picks up chlorophyll and waxes much more easily at room temperature which is what you are trying to avoid by a quick wash. You might leave some behind but you will get a much higher quality product, plus you can always do a second wash to get what you left behind.

I have never advocated second washes
Defeats the purpose if you want quality
I find frozen oil much harder to dissolve in any solvent.
Pure ISO will pull h2o from the ambient humidity in a room
The h2o in the bottle of drug store iso is why it grabs the chlorophyll
I get a better product at room temp but I've been doing this for a decade.
I wrote the original qwiso tech and coined the term qwiso on overgrow.com
Lots of people have their own twist to the qwiso method

I still follow my original tech when I do these extractions.
Just a 30 second wash and I use a digi thermometer to monitor temps

I've been freezing my ground up buds in a mason jar along with a bottle of iso . ( only 12 hrs tho )
That's what I've heard and read , to freeze for 12 to 24 hrs first .
I'm wondering , if that's the reason why I'm not getting more yield .

Bingo.

bad ninja,
Reactions: poonman

poonman

I guess I'll just have to give the non-freezing method a try and see for myself .

Thanx bad ninja and CV for all your input .

poonman,

clouded vision

I am fully aware that pure iso (or anything above 95) is azeotropic, I use 91 though. claiming you wrote the original qwiso tec and coined the term without anything to back that up is a very big claim from someone who had been here 1 day. Every single tec I have seen that has posted pictures of translucent shatter qwiso as an end result always recommended freezing. When freezing the trichs don't necessarily dissolve into the icy iso but easily break off the plant while shaking and then dissolves while warming up. It is the same theory behind bubble but different result.

Yes freezing will have a lower yield but a much higher quality which is exactly why you can do a second run and get a lower quality yet still potent hash

that's all I have to say on the subject

(We'll call him B)

I have done this, but it almost always turns a low quality product. The instructions link posted OP are terrible I believe. Here is how to do it better, not the best, but better than some.
Freeze buds and put in bucket
Pour Everclear on buds until covered by 1 inch of alcohol. "you can use ISO but it'snot the best"
Slosh bucket for 1 minute or less "More agitation equals less quality"
Pour through strainer(s) "coffee filter"
Add a small amount of water and boil until hash. "pyrex double boiler"
Smoke and wonder why you even did this.

(We'll call him B),

bad ninja

Repensum Est Canicula
I am fully aware that pure iso (or anything above 95) is azeotropic, I use 91 though. claiming you wrote the original qwiso tec and coined the term without anything to back that up is a very big claim from someone who had been here 1 day. Every single tec I have seen that has posted pictures of translucent shatter qwiso as an end result always recommended freezing. When freezing the trichs don't necessarily dissolve into the icy iso but easily break off the plant while shaking and then dissolves while warming up. It is the same theory behind bubble but different result.

Yes freezing will have a lower yield but a much higher quality which is exactly why you can do a second run and get a lower quality yet still potent hash

that's all I have to say on the subject

Yes friend, I'm Ninja, the original qwiso author.
im not here to promote myself or anything like that.
Or to argue with you, but simply to add tips and advice from my own experience.
Overgrow has been offline for 8 years now.
If you want proof of who ii am google ninja and do your research and Then shoot me a pm
He is I and I am him.
I'm not certain about a lot in life but I am certain I am me.

I have done this, but it almost always turns a low quality product. The instructions link posted OP are terrible I believe. Here is how to do it better, not the best, but better than some.
Freeze buds and put in bucket
Pour Everclear on buds until covered by 1 inch of alcohol. "you can use ISO but it'snot the best"
Slosh bucket for 1 minute or less "More agitation equals less quality"
Pour through strainer(s) "coffee filter"
Add a small amount of water and boil until hash. "pyrex double boiler"
Smoke and wonder why you even did this.

Ever clear and grain alcohols contain starch(sugars) which carmelize when burned.
Better for use in edibles and drinks.

Iso works better if you plan on smoking or vaping

That said I prefer BHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

(We'll call him B)

Ever clear and grain alcohols contain starch(sugars) which carmelize when burned.
Better for use in edibles and drinks.

Iso works better if you plan on smoking or vaping
That said I prefer BHO.
I enjoy BHO much more myself as well. On the topic of starch and sugars in everclear, I would need a source on that if you could, as I have never had that problem using the 195% everclear.

Wizsteve

http://www.druglibrary.org/medicalmj/hash/hashmethod1.htm

^^theres the instructions. How much herbs should i use?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
for hash oil yes that will work any amount but for honey oil no they past the first two steps
if you want honey oil you need to first remove the chlorophyll.
this is really easy to do .first you need some bubble bags do full process to make bubble hash.
then take herb out place double boiler add water let herb soak in water while being heated.
the water should turn dark green pour out the dark green water and repete.

remove your herb let it dry once dry you can soak it in iso for weeks if you want or place in double boiler
for a few hours. than filter it thru charcoal .
you can go few more steps to make pure thc but that is overkill.
store in amber glass to avoid lose from light.

step 1 removes the trichomes (you could also use a iso wash (place herb on screen pour iso over it dont let it soak) than use that iso after step 2)
step 2 removes the chlorophyll (you can just boil it directly in water if you can keep it from touching the bottom of pan using charcoal on bottom.

Wizsteve,

bad ninja

Repensum Est Canicula
I enjoy BHO much more myself as well. On the topic of starch and sugars in everclear, I would need a source on that if you could, as I have never had that problem using the 195% everclear.
It's fairly common knowledge all grain alcohols contain sugars.
Just google it, my friend

bad ninja,

clouded vision

It's fairly common knowledge all grain alcohols contain sugars.
Just google it, my friend
perhaps you need to do some research instead of posting false information claiming it is common knowledge. Everclear is 95% pure ethanol (an alcohol, not a sugar in any way) the remaining 5% is distilled water as anything above 95 is azeotropic as discussed above. That means if there were any starches the alcohol percentage would drop below 95 as the ethanol would leach moisture out of the air. The common knowledge you may be referring to is that the body metabolizes alcohol into sugars when consumed but that has no relevance as we are fully evaporating the alcohol off.
Everclear actually makes a very good hash and preserves more of the taste than iso does. Also everclear is used regularly to winterize BHO.
@Wizsteve , i don't even know where to begin. once you've made bubble there is no point in using the plant material for anything as the trichs are all gone and that's what contains the majority of the actives. honey oil is made with butane and is an entirely different process. You want to collect the trichs not remove them from the process. You can however do a water soak by putting your herb in silkscreen or pantyhose then soaking in cold/room temperature water for a week to remove chlorophyll but there is no need to boil it and is unnecessary if you freeze everything so the polar parts in the alcohol don't pick up the polar parts in the herb.

Wizsteve

@
clouded vision

you need to do some research lol honey oil was here long before butane ever came in a can.
and that is the real way too make it .and yes there is still stuff you cant see after bubble is made
its called oil trapped in the plant fiber .yes boil the water thc has a much higher boiling point (+100 f)
so you lose nothing.

Wizsteve,

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
All I have to add is regarding a second wash. I dry my weed out after the first wash and then I grab my loupe. If there are still trichs I do a second wash. After that, I throw it away as the quality is really shit at that point.

As far as freeze/ don't freeze. I have always frozen, don't know the science behind it, that is just what I have always read to do for high quality.

clouded vision

I never said there was nothing left after making bubble but your yield would be a fraction of what it would be if you left the trichs in place. there have been scientific studies (i have seen the links to the reports on this forum but can't track it down right this second) that show the vast majority of the actives are contained in the trichs. Also there are a number of terpenes that begin to volatize at room temperature which is why MJ has such a pungent smell so boiling it will in fact degrade the flavor of the oil. if the goal is a dabbable oil why would you want the majority of your actives in a dirtier hash (dirty in terms of plant material only). Now you could make bubble then iso wash that which should result in an even purer oil but that's a lot of extra work and the expense of the bubble bags.

Last edited:
clouded vision,

(We'll call him B)

Yes friend, I'm Ninja, the original qwiso author.
im not here to promote myself or anything like that.
Or to argue with you, but simply to add tips and advice from my own experience.
Overgrow has been offline for 8 years now.
If you want proof of who ii am google ninja and do your research and Then shoot me a pm
He is I and I am him.
I'm not certain about a lot in life but I am certain I am me.
NINJA? I'm a HUGE fan.

(We'll call him B),

Wizsteve

@
clouded vision

not going to argue with you on this ,its how it been made for years long before you and i was even born.only thing been changed is it used to get screened instead of bubble bagged.

yes the flavors and odors are removed for a purer oil but it has its own flavor yumm.
this part of the purify process all waxes and color is removed.leaving rich thc amber oil.

Wizsteve,
Top Bottom