• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

will hercules sr74x work on a variable voltage e cig mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
The herc runs at 7.4v

That mod only goes up to 5.5v...

Also, the herc needs aw Imr batteries due to the high discharge rate, which I'm not sure if that mod would be compatible with?

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: SamuraiSam

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
Yes they are chinese made and but they have 90 day warranty. I dont see how the Persei is cheaper? The Cloupor boxes are around $70, last I saw the cheapest price for a Persei is $169.

Can you point me to where you found that they overstate their power output?

I've tested mine on my multimeter and although the Resistance reads off by .1 (1.6 Ohm would read as 1.5 ohm) the voltage and power are correct and it can handle extended periods of 30w output. Most people are using these with 1.0 ohm-2.0 ohm coils @ 30w all day everyday.

There are a few known issues:
- 510 connector in the head is a little too large and can cause a short with atomizers who's center pin is flush with threads
- sometimes the unit requires 2-clicks to fire (1 click to turn on screen, 1 to fire)

Persei is still tank but this device, being 510 and having 30w is my daily driver since I can swap between my Kayfun and my Herc on the go. Also the on-board USB charging is nice.

mmnJQh7.jpg

@THC SCIENTIFIC Can I run two cells (7.4) on the 8?

cloupor.jpg

source

I think the DNA mods arnt the best for the Hercules for few reasons. 1 being

At 1.5 ohms resistance at 30 watts runs 6.7v and 4.47 amps.

But when the Herc heats up resistance changes to about 3.0ohms effectively making the battery run at 9.4v and 3.16 amps.

This is because these types of mods are made to run at the set wattage no matter what the resistance is. Effectively making the mod a ticking time bomb.

Someone please verify this. I'll have my engineers look into this but currently busy with other things.

DNA 30 vs the Iris

Iris does not boost so a set voltage of 6.7 delivers 30 watts to heat up as the resistance changes the watts change and the current drops. Effectively allowing your battery to run stress free.

In short mods are made for wire heaters aka outdated technology.

Hmm, i've never seen my white rod read at 3 ohms(its gone from 1.5 up to about 1.8). I remember you mentioning this a while back when you first released the SR71. Basically you explained that it takes much more power initially to get the rod hot, then once its heated, it uses less power due to the higher resistance.
i dont run the dna30 above 25w with the herc, because its never needed. I would think that you agree with me since your SR74 is was limited to 28w instead of the 40w+ that the original SR71 could use - there was wisdom in that decision. The SR74 can handle anything thrown at it - shatters included.

The sr74 is limited to the voltage set that is being pushed out.

Your still using 1 battery to push a constant 25 watts no matter what the resistance is. When the resistance drops less current will be used to keep the rod hot, translating into less watts. Just saying it's not the best application for the Herc.

Also what are you using to measure the resistance when hot?

When I had a working Iris (god I miss my Iris!! :cry:) I checked my 7.4v SR-71 heating rod resistance many times immediately after use (using the built-in Iris function) and never saw a reading above 1.9 ohms. This is a rod that reads 1.5 ohms at room temperature. (Also at room temperature the Iris measurements always agreed with my DMM.)

I have no doubt that a bare 1.5 ohm heating rod could get to higher temps and higher resistance when powered but inside the Herc the heating rod is bathed in oil all the time. Just as a pot of boiling water stays at 212° until the water boils away I believe the heating rod will stay close to the boiling point of the oil (400°?) unless the rod loses its oil bath. All the extra energy goes into making those massive vapor clouds we all love so much rather than raising the temp. Just as with the pot of boiling water turning up the heat just makes the water boil faster but does not raise the temperature. If the rod in the Herc ever becomes dry the temp will soar and you will scorch the oil that is close to the rod, hence the carbon build-up on used heating rods. This is what makes priming the Herc a bit touchy. You want to melt your concentrate into the oil coil but since the heating rod is bare initially you have to be extra careful not to burn the oil. This is why I go very slowly when priming or, if I get impatient, I just use my heat gun to speed up the process.

I like that the heating rod increases in resistance as it gets hotter. This is an important safety feature as it prevents the possibility of thermal runaway. I agree with you that a constant wattage supply is not the best match for the Herc.

Hedo

What you're having to do is a function of using the "battery" you've chosen. I think what G means is it's constant varying wattage means the voltage it applies is increasing in relationship to the increasing resistance of the ceramic. This is causing you to want to turn down the setting on your battery as the rod gets too hot. What I'm curious about, not knowing a ton about e-cigs, is if in you set it to variable voltage and just leave it at 4v or 3.7V will that solve the problem?

If you were using the Persei you would be using straight battery voltage so it wouldn't be increasing in overall wattage. It would also be nicer to the battery. The circuitry of a vw/vv battery, is taking a 3.7v battery and stepping it up. the increased drain on the battery to create the higher voltage causes more strain on the battery, too.

DNA30 is a VW device, therefore the user can only change the power output and the chip adjusts the voltage based on the resistance reading at the time of firing. So from a cold start @ 20w the Herc will read 1.6ohms/5.6v, then after my first big cloud, I will fire it again and the resistance will read 1.9-2.0 ohms/6.1-6.3v.

@THC SCIENTIFIC If I set my power to 20W, whats wrong with running the herc at 5.6v? what are the issues if it climbs to 6.3v?
Worst case scenario is that if voltage on the battery dips to 3.2V (drained battery) I will be pulling 7-7.5A/23.5W (assuming the DNA has 85-90% efficiency) - but with a 30A limit I have about 93% of headroom. And I should be getting about 20-25min of runtime when battery is charged.

As for the DNA being a great device it is. Just not for the Hercules.

@thevaf please understand we are not fans of boost systems. All im saying is just be careful when using such a device. Remember ecig atomizers do not run for 10-15 seconds at a time they are more on the 2-4 second bursts.

But a constant what is the question. The Herc is really looking for constant voltage supply not a constant wattage supply. The fact that Herc increases in resistance during the first few seconds of operation is a performance feature (as well as a safety feature) that delivers a boost of energy initially to get the vapor going and then automatically lowers the power as the resistance increases from the heat. If you use a constant wattage supply, the supply will try to cancel out that automatic drop down in power. Not a fatal problem but I like the natural way the heating rods behave.

The standard Persei top is not a pure mech mod as I understand them because it has a lot of protection circuitry built in but it does no regulation. But if you are getting significant voltage drop in 10-15 seconds I would think you need better batteries! No one's discounting a device with a regulated voltage output.

Again, regulated voltage output. The Iris because it runs off two batteries in series so can deliver constant regulated voltage up to 7.4v while keeping the current limited to no more than 5 amps. This provides for up to 37 watts of regulated voltage output without the ridiculously high current levels that a single battery would have to supply in a boost type configuration.

Hedo

Last edited:

thevaf

you cant use the Herc with the iStick because the iStick just doesnt have enough power (you can use the Kiss Carts with the istick+ 510/601 adapter, but dont go over 4.9v or you can pop the coil).

The quotes from @SamuraiSam are referring to my 30W Cloupor dna box, which I still use to this day with my herc with no issues (its my daily driver when im out and about with my herc). Nowadays that Cloupor 30w box mod is completely outdated, and there are new boxes out that have chips which can go up to 100watts. And many of these new chips use 2x 18650 batteries with voltages up the 8.5-9.0v, so they don't have to "boost" voltage when your using the herc in the 7.4v-8.0v range. As long as you have the 510 to 601 adapter you can use the Herc on these higher powered devices. Also note that the herc I am using has 1.5ohm white rod, which was changed in the herc 74x to a higher resistance 2.0ohm white rod. THCScientific did this to conserve battery life because and his concern was when the rod heats its resistance raises (its thermodynamics, not a "feature"), thus causing the voltage to raise in the Dna box making the battery work harder.

Last edited:

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
Could you recommend any of those new amazeballs 2x18650 boxes in particular? If they have good voltage control in the 5-6 volt range then I'm curious :nod: Yup I would love to use my -71 on the go, since I don't have an Iris I only use it with my Core.

spoutti

I would love to hear more about mod box firing the sr71 @thevaf , specially a vv one. My sr71 only fires when I use the core, or bodywarm my v3 persei top with 2x18650. I still get lots of missfires that way anw.

I think I prefer killing batteries quickly with a reliable top vs my current situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom