Why is no dry herb vaporizer powered by a box mod/510 battery?

abby

If an arizer air can run off a single 18650 battery, then what prevents arizer from making a dry herb atomizer that works like the oven of the arizer air? Why isn't there a dry herb vape that can be screwed on top of a box mod?

abby,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Because a Box Mod device is basically a glorified battery. Even the fancy ones with OLED screens are simply there to control how much energy is sent to the heater.

The problem is there are simply no "brains" inside a box mod to regulate temperature. A dry herb atomizer would basically just keep cooking until the temperature exceeds the combustion temp and the herb combusts. There is nothing telling the heater when to shut off or stop heating up except the user pressing the power button to send juice to the heater.

"But wait! Aren't there temperature controlled Ecigs on the market using a box mod??" Why yes little timmy, you are correct! Box mods do have one fancy trick up their sleeve - they can measure the resistance of the heater. Hotter wires have less resistance than cold ones (or vice versa, I forget). Basically a temperature controlled E-Cig is not actually using a "temperature probe" to monitor temperature, instead it uses a mathematical formula to calculate the temperature based on the voltage supplied to the heater, and the current resistance of the heater.

The problem is these temperature regulators don't work properly with dry herb atomizers (the math gets all fucked up due to the different heater), so you can't use that method for controlling temps (unless you hack the firmware of the boxmod and update the calculations with the proper info about your heater. But even then doubtful.

So basically it comes down to temperatures and regulating them so you don't accidentally combust your dry herbs. The good news is there are a few devoted people out there who are building DIY atomizers which CAN work with a 510 box mod, but there really isn't any sort of accurate temperature control or anything

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I'm pretty sure bad ones are available, that may be more smoke than vape. But there are atomizers with herb chambers that you can buy and screw on to a box mod. I'm just pretty sure they aren't very good.

rabblerouser,

herbivore21

Because a Box Mod device is basically a glorified battery. Even the fancy ones with OLED screens are simply there to control how much energy is sent to the heater.

The problem is there are simply no "brains" inside a box mod to regulate temperature. A dry herb atomizer would basically just keep cooking until the temperature exceeds the combustion temp and the herb combusts. There is nothing telling the heater when to shut off or stop heating up except the user pressing the power button to send juice to the heater.

"But wait! Aren't there temperature controlled Ecigs on the market using a box mod??" Why yes little timmy, you are correct! Box mods do have one fancy trick up their sleeve - they can measure the resistance of the heater. Hotter wires have less resistance than cold ones (or vice versa, I forget). Basically a temperature controlled E-Cig is not actually using a "temperature probe" to monitor temperature, instead it uses a mathematical formula to calculate the temperature based on the voltage supplied to the heater, and the current resistance of the heater.

The problem is these temperature regulators don't work properly with dry herb atomizers (the math gets all fucked up due to the different heater), so you can't use that method for controlling temps (unless you hack the firmware of the boxmod and update the calculations with the proper info about your heater. But even then doubtful.

So basically it comes down to temperatures and regulating them so you don't accidentally combust your dry herbs. The good news is there are a few devoted people out there who are building DIY atomizers which CAN work with a 510 box mod, but there really isn't any sort of accurate temperature control or anything
Bingo! Couldn't agree more and would like again!

I guess though we could argue that a Milaana for example is an unregulated 18650 battery which doesn't even have VW/VV control. Only difference in my eyes is that obviously it isn't a threaded heater but an all in one unit :2c:

bagelbanger

Y'all gotta check out @Pipes Project. I've had mine since April and it just WORKS AND WORKS WELL! I got an upgraded sleeve mid summer after my wood sleeve got a bit beat up and it hasn't failed me yet. Always ready to go and adjustable temps all the way up to rich dark chocolate colored abv. Really lots of options for connecting all sorts of stems and glass and lots of room for customizing!

I use mine on the go at least once a day, sometimes a whole lot more than that!!

Tranquility

If an arizer air can run off a single 18650 battery, then what prevents arizer from making a dry herb atomizer that works like the oven of the arizer air? Why isn't there a dry herb vape that can be screwed on top of a box mod?
At the Divine Tribe thread there is a link from the FC member (@divinetribe) for just such a device. As to how well it works, I don't know. But, I'm preparing to buy some more equipment as I'd love to move to a mod-centric plan for dosing either concentrate or "dry herb" and will probably include this just to try:

http://ineedhemp.com/product/fcuserspecial1/

Tranquility,

abby

I'm asking less as a personal use question and more of a "why isn't the industry headed this way".

Even if the box mod is nothing but a battery, vape companies would make good money by making ovens that use those batteries - just because there are already so many people who own box mods/battery devices.

Ratchett's answer does clarify it I guess. I still feel that with enough technology put into the atomizer/oven part, it shouldn't be impossible. Temperature control wouldn't be from the box mod but from some tech in the atomizer (or both).

abby,

ZC

Grasshoppers tech is small enough to fit well on a 510 box mod and be very discreet. I can't think of another vape who's tech would work well at a reasonable size for a box mod. Hopper labs has enough on their hands just getting off the ground. There's probably more money in releasing a full vape with a battery than just releasing a 510 "atomizer" without a battery though.

Most dry herb heater designs are just too big to fit well on a 510 mod. No offence meant to Pipes as his project is incredible, but it's quite a damn long system once you have the box, heater, and stem in place. Hardly the best form factor IMO.

This is why vapes like the Zion (heavily based on ecig design) puts the heater down low, next to the batteries instead of up top.

Another one to check out is the tubo evic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/54whhq/the_tubo_evic/

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
There are mod boxes with the RDA located low next to the battery rather than on top. The Project might be long using the stock stem but you can use shorter stems. Anyways it's by far the stealthiest of all my vapes as it clearly looks like an e-cig.

Performance is not far from the Milaana. TC mode on the evic is not as good as a dedicated sensor, but we will try to improve the firmware to make it more efficient and idiot-proof.

I also had very good results with custom RDAs and various kinds of wires/coils/ribbons etc. Like said above, we invite you all to join the Project and BULLI threads in the DIY subforum. Those are the most under-rated solutions around. Near instant on-demand regulated convection for less than $30 (+the cost of the mod, which is below $40)

Top Bottom