Why is my everclear tincture dark brown?

david8613

Hi guys I just finished my everclear/avb tincture through the magical butter machine, for about 7 hours at 160 degrees, I wanted it to be potent. I filtered using cheese cloth and its very dark brown, not nice and green like I have seen in other pics. Do I have to use a coffee filter to clean it up further?

david8613,
Reactions: macbill

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
ABV is normally going to make your tincture, oil, etc brown. Fresh unvaped cannabis would make it green. There's no green left in the ABV.

Have you not noticed the color of the ABV? It's brown.
Nothing I've ever made with ABV has been green.

david8613

Here is a pic of my tincture, shouldn't it be golden brown then not solid brown right? Think I need filter through a coffee filter? The first 2 pics have flash on, the last one does not very dark..

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Looks like cheesecloth let too much powder through.

Did you only use a single layer of cheesecloth?

With alcohol, given how much thinner it is than oils that we use for extraction, I would suspect (I say suspect, due to my limited experience with this) that you would want to filter it once or twice through a coffee filter.

Ramahs,

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
Yes. Run it through a coffee filter to make it clear. It won't remove the brown, but all those floating particles.:tup:
It often is much easier to do a coarse prefiltering like you did with the cheese cloth and use the coffee filter with the prefiltered tincture/solution after.

Sick Vape,
Reactions: david8613

david8613

no I did not do water curing, but I saw troy from 420vapezone do it and that seemed like a long process, I just didn't want to do all that stuff.

david8613,

Baron23

no I did not do water curing, but I saw troy from 420vapezone do it and that seemed like a long process, I just didn't want to do all that stuff.
Well, that may well be the source of the dark color. See this pic from the article I posted....this is from water curing....notice the darkness drawn out from the AVB.

Maybe next time give it a try.

I have a giant jar of AVB and have been planning to do this but I'm a lazy ass and haven't gotten to it....for months! haha

david8613

I will definitely try this in the future. I did coconut oil butter with out lecithin using the pressure cooker method with no water curing and it came out pretty good, a table spoon had me dancing in my bed!!!

I am gonna try and run my tincture through a coffee filter, I am reading that my tincture is a dark but that's a good thing, and quick pass through coffee filter should clean it up some. I am just a little worried about taste. I reading red hot candies can help with this.

after I get my tincture complete, I am going to do the coconut butter again but with the magical butter maker and this time I will add some lecithin to the recipe for potency.

I haven't run it through coffee filter yet, i dont have any we use an espresso maker, lol. Would it be ok to just use like that dark and murky?

Last edited:

david8613

Sorry for posting right after my post.

Great news guys, coffee filter worked great!
Nice clean and green! :tup::tup::tup:
This beautiful plant gives so much!!!
Did a little test and yep it works. I'm so happy!

I ran it twice but it didn't look like it caught much material, but the end result did look cleaner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom