Why Does My Silicone Whip Get Sticky?

bilson94

Hi , I've recently changed my standard whip from my Arizer Extreme-Q to a medical grade silicone whip and now after a little bit of use when some rezin has built up, the top of the whip near the elbow gets all sticky like the rezin has soaked through, it's really annoying and I'm sure it's not supposed to happen, anyone else had this problem or know why it's happening? I never had this problem with the standard whip which is supposed to be worse

bilson94,

MoltenTiger

it's just a property of silicone unfortunately.
Silicone is better than the standard PVC due to the lack of dangerous off-gas potential as well as its flexibility.
Once it becomes dirty like this, you can give it a hot water rinse which gets rid of a lot of the residue.
Some people have also used a cover over the silicone (like cable braid) to avoid looking at/touching the hose, but I just replace my silicone once it gets too dirty for my liking.

BTW welcome to the forums, Bilson (nice name)
If you're into the EQ billies be sure to check out the Arizer EQ thread where all sorts of mods and info can be found

MoltenTiger,

bilson94

Thanks for the reply mate ,just what I needed to know guess I'll have to cover it up with something , my whip seems to get sticky after only a day lol

bilson94,

MoltenTiger

Thanks for the reply mate ,just what I needed to know guess I'll have to cover it up with something , my whip seems to get sticky after only a day lol
That sounds either like one day of a lot of use, or a lower grade silicone tubing.
If you can get your hands on the official Arizer silicone whip, it's really good value. Very high quality (the inner bore is very smooth, cheaper tubing collects residue faster) at a reasonable cost.

MoltenTiger,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
The oils that only builds up inside some whips(eq whip, vapolution 2 that i've used) actually seeps completely through silicone whips with time or tons of use, I noticed it's always stickiest in the first inch or two closest to the bowl.

every few months my whips always get a few inches shorter.

RUDE BOY,

bilson94

My initial thought was that it must be seeping through but I use silicone glue at work for waterproofing so wouldn't think it would seep through lol

bilson94,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
yeah, silicone glue and medical grade silicone tubing are two very different forms of silicone.

RUDE BOY,
Top Bottom