Why Do People Use Nicotine?

Most Dangerous

• E-Cig

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Normal Cigarettes

Votes: 22 91.7%

• Total voters

andrew_jay

Modnote: This question was posed by a spammer who has since been banned. The responses are good though, so the title has been fixed and the discussion can continue. :)

My Today's Question is Why Peoples use Nicotine in e-cig or others when they know about its side effects on health?

Waiting some reasonable Answers...:hmm::nope::huh::(:|:\

Last edited by a moderator:
andrew_jay,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Nicotine is a heavily addictive neurotoxin but you are better off vaping it rather than burning vegetative matter to get your dose. The tars, benzene, CO etc from smoking anything, plus the taste and unpleasant side effects, means it not an option for me.

honorface

vape weed; eat yogurt
I have never seen nicotine ever ever have beneficial effect on someone who could have not had that problem fixed by another drug wit FAR less side effects. Not saying you are guaranteed to have all bad side effects but currently there are none know benificial side effects tht cannot be fixed more proper with another drug.

honorface,

honorface

vape weed; eat yogurt
Smoking+is+bad...+mmmkay+_cfd83c5ce6e5f6850d0c1211d33d06f7.jpg

Tom Funk

I have never seen nicotine ever ever have beneficial effect on someone who could have not had that problem fixed by another drug wit FAR less side effects. Not saying you are guaranteed to have all bad side effects but currently there are none know benificial side effects tht cannot be fixed more proper with another drug.

Not sure about that. I've seen articles in New Scientist mag that suggest that nicotine/tobacco may be an appropriate medicine for some disorders. The delivery method is the major issue. Plus it's too addictive to be a smart thing to use aside from medical necessity.

TF

honorface

vape weed; eat yogurt
Not saying that nicotine can have positive effects for people just that already available Alzheimers drugs would be a better choice, and already available diabeetus meds would be a better choice.

And for people who say nicotine helps them chill after work... welcome to the ganja vaping world my brother.

honorface,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Research now suggests that people with brain disorders smoke at a high rate partly because nicotine reduces some of the cognitive dysfunction that is a common symptom. In fact researchers are now working to identify and develop nicotine-like drugs they hope will provide even more relief but without the addiction and negative health impacts of cigarette smoking.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/smoke.htm

The self-medication hypothesis argues that people with schozphrenia use nicotine to compensate for the cognitive deficits that result from schizophrenia, the antipsychotic medication used to treat schizophrenia, or both.
The cognitive effects hypothesis suggests that nicotine has positive effects on cognition, so smoking is used to improve neurocognitive dysfunction.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia_and_smoking

Despite the well-known adverse health effects of tobacco smoking, numerous studies have shown that nicotine, the principal pharmacologically active alkaloid in tobacco smoke, exerts neuroprotective properties in several animal models of neurodegeneration. Furthermore, cigarette smoking appears to significantly reduce the risk of developing Parkinson's disease in human subjects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15681815?dopt=Abstract

Some people enjoy the effects of nicotine. I drink coffee and vape ejuice everyday pretty much. Coffee contains acrylamide, which is listed as a cancer-causing chemical under California's Prop 65. So do french fries. It's a byproduct of roasting coffee beans or frying 'taters. Coffee also contains caffeine, which is a stimulant drug, in the same class as nicotine. Honestly I have a harder time upright quitting caffeine than I do nicotine. I enjoy the effects of both and know that there are risks involved. Then again, there's construction going on at my campus, and lots of formaldehyde floating around in buildings anyways (hell, we breathe it out naturally).

So... why? Because some people like it. Hedonism I guess?

andrew_jay

Thanks for all can i leave this addictive? if yes then how any body tell me

i get no answer right now

Last edited by a moderator:
andrew_jay,

Ansel

it was attempted to ban it in the US sports as it is said to be a performance enhancing drug... ie. the baseball coach who would chew tobacco...

Ansel,

supreme_cloud

Vapor only
Isn't nicotine the tobacco plants natural pesticide?
When I heard that, it all kinda shows red flags for me.

Maybe I should look that up before posting...

supreme_cloud,

Quetzalcoatl

Isn't nicotine the tobacco plants natural pesticide?
When I heard that, it all kinda shows red flags for me.

Maybe I should look that up before posting...
It's thought to be, yeah. I know it's used as a pesticide, or was at some point...

Then again I've also read that the cannabis plant produces cannabinoids for the same reason, so...

Pick your poison I guess?

I mean, fuck, I enjoy my ecig, cannabis, and coffee at the same time... and pretty much every morning...

Dunno how much farther we can take this topic now since OP got banned for spamming and such :shrug:

supreme_cloud

Vapor only
It's thought to be, yeah. I know it's used as a pesticide, or was at some point...

Then again I've also read that the cannabis plant produces cannabinoids for the same reason, so...

Pick your poison I guess?

I mean, fuck, I enjoy my ecig, cannabis, and coffee at the same time... and pretty much every morning...

Dunno how much farther we can take this topic now since OP got banned for spamming and such :shrug:
The spam turned into a pretty good discussion like the mod noted in the edited first post.

True enough, just about everything can be considered a drug if your being extremely critical about it.

I think that if you have to inhale anything other than oxygen or nitrous, you should vaporize it/e-cig~for the sake of this thread/due to the obvious reasons that this site has its name from.
Fuck combustion, it's nasty and introduces more "poison" than "needed".

If you get the desired effect from not burning it, then :)

For me, nicotine was not at all a priority.
I quit nicotine after 9 years, but never herbs.
Maybe off topic, but caffeine is also out for me now that I'm in my 30's.
I've noticed that if I've had any caffeinated beverages before medicating that it takes more meds to get where I want my mind to be.

Can't stand the jitters.
I've read that nicotine is a stimulant as well, so maybe that is why I don't miss it.
Never been a fan of the uppers.

Quetzalcoatl

Nicotine is a really weird stimulant, though. Well, in cigarettes and other smokable tobacco forms, it is. It can both stimulate you and sedate/relax you, dependent on the dose (and how fast or slow you smoke). Plus burning tobacco releases MAOI chemicals which your body gets used to. That is, in part, why it's so hard for so many people to quit.

Interestingly enough, cessation products lack any of the MAOIs and just provide nicotine, much the same as ecigs... But you still get (almost) all of the rituals of smoking with an ecig so people usually find the transition much easier.

I was never an upper kinda dude either. Opiates are way better :tup: no racing heartbeats and jaw clenching and psychosis... Just waking up an hour later to find you drooled all over your keyboard :lol:

I do agree though that if you want to ingest nicotine that there are "better" ways to go about it than smoking. Some people just like smoking, and it's their choice.

Side note: I want to get up but my pup is the little spoon right now and he has my arm hahaha.

grokit

well-worn member
I enjoy a drew acid cigar or a shisha hooka session very occasionally (maybe 2x/year). For myself, nicotine is a fun buzz for a change up, it really depends on the company and the occasion.

Smoking is bad, but interestingly cannabis smoke is nowhere near as harmful for the lungs. This is because it has a heavier density than tobacco smoke. Elite long-distance runners will puff on a doobie occasionally to increase their lung capacity because the smoke gathers at the bottom of the lungs, and expands.

Tobacco smoke has the opposite effect because it is lighter in density, and gathers at the top of the lungs congesting the bronchial pathways. And when you get into the toxic additives that big tobacco chooses to include in commercial cigarettes, all bets are off health-wise.

Second-hand smoke is way worse to inhale (carbon monoxide), so I can see the point of all the laws.

I would love it if American Spirit could publish data about how many occasional organic tobacco users have health issues related to smoking: my guess would be none.

edit: The list of 599 approved additives in cigarettes is something every smoker should see. That's how tobacco, not nicotine, kills. While nicotine is physically addictive, it's not deadly.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

I enjoy a drew acid cigar or a shisha hooka session very occasionally (maybe 2x/year). For myself, nicotine is a fun buzz for a change up, it really depends on the company and the occasion.

Smoking is bad, but interestingly cannabis smoke is nowhere near as harmful for the lungs. This is because it has a heavier density than tobacco smoke. Elite long-distance runners will puff on a doobie occasionally to increase their lung capacity because the smoke gathers at the bottom of the lungs, and expands.

Tobacco smoke has the opposite effect because it is lighter in density, and gathers at the top of the lungs congesting the bronchial pathways. And when you get into the toxic additives that big tobacco chooses to include in commercial cigarettes, all bets are off health-wise.

Second-hand smoke is way worse to inhale (carbon monoxide), so I can see the point of all the laws.

I would love it if American Spirit could publish data about how many occasional organic tobacco users have health issues related to smoking: my guess would be none.

edit: The list of 599 approved additives in cigarettes is something every smoker should see. That's how tobacco, not nicotine, kills. While nicotine is physically addictive, it's not deadly.
You ever tried making your own ejuices? If you try, you'll find you can get some pretty concentrated amounts of nicotine which will absorb through your skin. I think it was like 60mg pure nic to kill a person? My juice is 24mg per ml of juice and that's "strong" juice. You can really concentrate nicotine, and in doing so you can definitely die from nicotine OD. yes it's deadly but I doubt you'll come across nicotine in such a form.

grokit

well-worn member
You ever tried making your own ejuices? If you try, you'll find you can get some pretty concentrated amounts of nicotine which will absorb through your skin. I think it was like 60mg pure nic to kill a person? My juice is 24mg per ml of juice and that's "strong" juice. You can really concentrate nicotine, and in doing so you can definitely die from nicotine OD. yes it's deadly but I doubt you'll come across nicotine in such a form.

Yeah I have experienced nicotine toxicity, twice. It's a very unpleasant experience!
And no I'm not counting those "copenhagen experiments" back in hs:puke:

Nicotine is a neurotoxin and a common pesticide, the use of which, is wiping out the bee colonies imho

I agree, but neonicotinoids are a class of neuro-active insecticides chemically similar to nicotine, not directly derived from it. Another words, synthesized in a lab to be even more deadly than the original.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I agree, but neonicotinoids are a class of neuro-active insecticides chemically similar to nicotine, not directly derived from it. Another words, synthesized in a lab to be even more deadly than the original.
Reminds me of this saying I grew up with except I think Bayer makes the pesticides . . . ;)

0.jpg

grokit

well-worn member
There's so many fucking horribly criminal multinationals it's hard to keep up, but I believe that you are correct, bayer is the big player in this case. But fuck dupont too!

grokit,
Reactions: t-dub

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I believe the only problem with nicotine is that is much more addictive than some other substances since it is as addictive as heroin, whilst providing relief for people prone to anxiety conditions or other related and unrelated conditions and diseases.

I don't see it as a coincidence that so many people with IBD and Crohns resort to tobacco, as well as schizophrenics and people with OCD, ADD and such. Usually people who are prone to get fat and eat a lot, are also more commonly seen with a cigarette between the fingers than your average joe (not talking about your health freaks out there, of course they are less likely to smoke)

So, in conclusion, the effect of nicotine in the dopamine pathway is IMO the biggest indicator of whether someone enjoys smoking or not. Usually the ones who can't quit are the ones with some kind of problem is this pathway IMO and resort to cigarettes as an easy way to correct the "faulty pathway".

Top Bottom