why did this ice water hash attempt fail so bad....

ictus

Attempted a water based hash recipe. I tried using shake. The recipe I followed called for freezing it, and then putting it in a blender with water and ice for about 1 minute. Then put into a mason jar into the fridge to separate.

I used around 3-4 grams.

In theory, the white kief was supposed to fall to the bottom and all the plant matter was supposed to rise up.

What happened was after 15-20 minutes, basically EVERYTHING fell to the bottom, green bits and all. Only a bit of frothy foam is up top.

What the heck did I do wrong?

ictus,

ictus

Well I took this overly green result and baked it at 200f for around 15 minutes which dried it out enough for a try.

It definitely tasted like ass, but it was highly effective. So basically it worked in the crudest sense, but I obviously over blended and got way too much plant matter mixed with the trichs.

I also did my 2nd test last night using a QWISO rinse and it turned out infinitely better. Actually looks yellow/white, and reached close to full melt with a decent taste.

Was a fun experiment but I think next try will be more gentle and pre-freeze the material longer.

ictus,

weedemon

enthusiast
never tried to make hash this way, but I have heard of it before. I have used the bubble bag method, and think maybe you would need a setup more like that?

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Ya man the blender totally pulverized and contaminated your product IMO. The best product is obtained by minimal force. Full melts clear domes obtained from bubble screening are normally gently hand stirred for under 3 min to get the best product. Then further processed for consecutive lower quality runs maximizing returns. Good luck

hektik8625

Attempted a water based hash recipe. I tried using shake. The recipe I followed called for freezing it, and then putting it in a blender with water and ice for about 1 minute. Then put into a mason jar into the fridge to separate.

I used around 3-4 grams.

In theory, the white kief was supposed to fall to the bottom and all the plant matter was supposed to rise up.

What happened was after 15-20 minutes, basically EVERYTHING fell to the bottom, green bits and all. Only a bit of frothy foam is up top.

What the heck did I do wrong?
Don't put it in the blender! Just break it up by hand! Also try not letting the mix sit and settle on its own, agitate the bag and help it drain ...the bags will act like a screen, you should be left with gold depending on the bag....
or maybe your bags are in the wrong order ,
make sure use only cold r/o water and ice! dunno just wanted to try and help!

farscaper

The method u tried really works best on trim that is fresh frozen as the added ice in the plant material will cause it to float... Then after it has been blended the large plant material mass is scooped off the top and the remainder is ran through a stainless steel tea strainer to collect the smaller plant particles... That can then be filtered through a coffee filter. The hash is then scraped off the filter and dried... There is no way to get full melt in a blender though.

That was how i got into hash making... Thee bags seem cheap enough, but i had all that lying Round so it fit the bill for free low tech hash

Just sayn, i get why someone might do a run of "gravity hash" lol

farscaper,
Reactions: Puffers

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Man, tell me why you didn't watch some videos on youtube beforehand? I know how to make bubble hash even though I've never even touched a bubble bag! Give me a tube, some 'tane, and dank, and you'll see something awesome. All the information you need is out there!

What I do with shake is grind it up and make ISO hash. I get around .4 back, it's shake I get for free, and I can concentrate all that I want into a small ball.

Man, tell me why you didn't watch some videos on youtube beforehand? I know how to make bubble hash even though I've never even touched a bubble bag! Give me a tube, some 'tane, and dank, and you'll see something awesome. All the information you need is out there!

What I do with shake is grind it up and make ISO hash. I get around .4 back, it's shake I get for free, and I can concentrate all that I want into a small ball.

This is solid advice. Q, do you run said hash in your DART?

kingofnull,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
This is solid advice. Q, do you run said hash in your DART?
I did with the AVA, actually. I think it's a bit too much plant matter to vape properly in it. Nothing some ISO and a boil can't take care of, but the taste got funkier faster as opposed to butane-based concentrates that get "spicy" almost like burnt marshmallow taste when it runs dry. If it vapes cleanly I'll put it in the DART. I don't want to risk it :wave:

It does, however, do very well on a skillet, or on a bowl. It's just got a bit more plant wax in it than I'd like, for the particular runs that I did. I think if I changed my first wash time to somewhere around 5-7 seconds I would have a cleaner product to work with. Maybe then I'd run it. I know some people abused their Revolutions and they worked fine after a thorough cleaning. If you're up for it... :spliff: :science:

Quetzalcoatl,
I did with the AVA, actually. I think it's a bit too much plant matter to vape properly in it. Nothing some ISO and a boil can't take care of, but the taste got funkier faster as opposed to butane-based concentrates that get "spicy" almost like burnt marshmallow taste when it runs dry. If it vapes cleanly I'll put it in the DART. I don't want to risk it :wave:

It does, however, do very well on a skillet, or on a bowl. It's just got a bit more plant wax in it than I'd like, for the particular runs that I did. I think if I changed my first wash time to somewhere around 5-7 seconds I would have a cleaner product to work with. Maybe then I'd run it. I know some people abused their Revolutions and they worked fine after a thorough cleaning. If you're up for it... :spliff: :science:
Well I just picked up some high grade Mango QWISO, but afterwards you bet I'll try it. I mean, what's the worst that could happen - ISO/Boil the dart clean!

Top Bottom