Why did carb holes go out of fashion?

quentin123

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about this recently, and most high end scientific glass bongs have slides that you pull to clear. Now, I do like this system, it works and is perfectly convenient with say, a whip with a gong adapter on the end. However, when using a solo with a PV gong stem its somewhat inconvenient to have to pull it all out, for this reason I prefer using some of my bongs that have carb holes with the solo.

I also find that a carb hole clears better, and is actually smoother (may be in my head), then a slide. This could be due to the increased resistance of clearing the bong through water, or because the air you are using to clear the bong will be colder than room temperature.

While I see the advantages of slides for cleaning and stuff, it was never a massive hassle to simply plug the carb if you have a rubber stopper.

I suppose you could always drill your own carb. . .

quentin123,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Maybe it's has something to do with rigidity of the glass, by putting a hole in the side they are more prone to crack/break.

I've seen on a video here, sorry not sure from who, where they use a glass Y adapter to act as a carb. Looked pretty slick.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I've always hated them because they are easy to spill from and if you try to clear faster than the hole can take you can get some splash up

CentiZen,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
PV sells the GonG stems with carbs (optional). After using the non-carb version that I bought, I wish I had gotten the carbed one as it'd be much easier to clear than physically lifting the stem and solo from the waterpipe.

:peace:

Stu,
Reactions: ou812?

dannkk

Carbs might be making a comeback. I saw a few scientific pieces on GrassCity that had them.

I think they went out of style, because they usually sucked. I remember in the 90s, with those Graffix bongs, they'd always be to small, or in a bad spot. Getting a slide was the only way to clear them completely and quickly.

dannkk,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
PV sells the GonG stems with carbs (optional). After using the non-carb version that I bought, I wish I had gotten the carbed one as it'd be much easier to clear than physically lifting the stem and solo from the waterpipe.

:peace:

Only problem is the hole is so close to the heat that you can't comfortable hold your finger over the carb for a good long hit. After the first two hits the stem is just way too hot. Also, the hole is cut rather cheaply it seems and mine has cracked. I don't miss it, and my finger feels better too :)

aesthyrian,
Reactions: Stu

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
You did...

Making a statement that you thought carbs might be making a comeback by implying that you saw " some scientific pieces" with carbs holes on grass city.

Tea Party,

dannkk

You did...

Making a statement that you thought carbs might be making a comeback by implying that you saw " some scientific pieces" with carbs holes on grass city.

I didn't imply anything. I SAID I saw some scientific pieces with carbs on GrassCity. YOU INFERRED that I thought GrassCity was an overall barometer for the high end glass market. Stop putting words in peoples mouths.

dannkk,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
They are your words.

"Carbs might be making a comeback"

" I saw a few scientific pieces on GrassCity that had them."

Tea Party,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
DoubleFacePalm.jpg

And to respond to the OP. Yeah, I've often wondered the same thing.

BigDaddyVapor,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I personally prefer the no-carb style.

I find it's easier to clear a piece properly without the carb, pulling the slide always clears a piece well for me.
My Cyclone is my only carbed piece (not counting the cheap grommeted pieces I used to combust through), and the carb is too small.

When you release it to clear the piece, the downstem keeps on chugging...
Other carbs I've seen are in the wrong spot, and don't really let you clear the piece properly either...

I do like the Y adapter as-a-carb, I've done it once or twice, It works well for me.

EDIT:
I also like that you can hold a non-carbed piece any way you want.
With a carbed piece, you have to hold it in a specific way to cover the carb.

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
I personally prefer the no-carb style.

I find it's easier to clear a piece properly without the carb, pulling the slide always clears a piece well for me.
My Cyclone is my only carbed piece (not counting the cheap grommeted pieces I used to combust through), and the carb is too small.

When you release it to clear the piece, the downstem keeps on chugging...
Other carbs I've seen are in the wrong spot, and don't really let you clear the piece properly either...

I do like the Y adapter as-a-carb, I've done it once or twice, It works well for me.

EDIT:
I also like that you can hold a non-carbed piece any way you want.
With a carbed piece, you have to hold it in a specific way to cover the carb.

IMO nothing to be added! Well explained Fred!
Here for me: no carb. holes, no downstems, no arm percs (my HT yes) in any of my pieces...more or less for the same esthetical/functional reasons!

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
IMO nothing to be added! Well explained Fred!
Here for me: no carb. holes, no downstems, no arm percs (my HT yes) in any of my pieces...more or less for the same esthetical/functional reasons!
You basically described my taste in glass perfectly right there :lol:

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: FLskwat

dequelo

Plant Abuser
"]Why did carb holes go out of fashion?"

do not know if they went out of fashion but during operation pipedreams

you could not sell a three hole pipe as it was a bong, now they are waterpipes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pipe_Dreams

"US Customs considers any tobacco accessory with more than two holes to be paraphernalia"

for awhile they would sell them with a cork in the carb hole

peace and be safe

Dequelo

Takavor23

Lev of Leviathan
Glass Blower
Styles honestly come and go. People went nuts for the coil / shower head / 8 arm at one time and now people rarely order them. Now the rage is disks, lattices and honeycombs. In a few years who knows. As glass evolves there will always be a divide between old school and new school.

Takavor23,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Unless I'm misunderstanding what fixed stems means I disagree.

Imagining a carb hole on my mobius bubs... :uhoh:

Frederick McGuire,
Top Bottom