Why can't I get the same "high" than I used to get?

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
@pakalolo :rofl:You don't apply to this because you've never felt like you couldn't get the same high you used to get, correct? I'm curious, how often do you vape, and what quantities since you sound like a micro doser?

Are you SURE? :rofl:

I think you did get absolutely floored, like you do every time? :brow:

You are definitely an inspiration, as is Pakalolo! Wow! Even my micro dabs were about 0.015-0.02, which is closer to 0.1g flower.

When/if I return to cannabis, I don't see a more sustainable method than micro dosing, and moderating frequency. I don't think Cannabis is supposed to be used frequently IMO, unless at least one takes frequent breaks.

@CANtalk What would you say you vape on a "heavy" day, and what do you feel would be optimal in terms of usage to avoid withdrawal (or "recovery" lol) effects?

Respect to all three of you! :bowdown::rockon::clap::nod:

First, no I don't get absolutely floored. I reach the same level I always do, which I find comfortable but I'm definitely not in the state some of you (most?) are trying to re-experience.

I am indeed a micro-doser. My standard load (mentioned many times on here when describing my various tests) is .07 g. I used to weigh it every time but after a while you can estimate it pretty accurately. My approach (when not testing) is to take two or three hits to start (at low temperature for the flavour) and then one or two hits every hour or so, usually stepping up the temperature or increasing the heat a little. This maintains my level.

If I want to get really blasted, I will consume a whole load in one session, or perhaps indulge in some rosin. I do reach a condition that is somewhat stronger than usual. This won't achieve the same experience I had my first time, however. I don't believe that's possible for a simple reason: acclamation. You just get used to the feeling and you need to adjust your expectations accordingly. If you do the same thing repeatedly, you will get used to it. This is why changing things around seems to make a difference. A different environment, vapourizer, strain, mental state—all of these will give you a slightly different experience. You can only be a virgin once, however.

biohacker

If you do the same thing repeatedly, you will get used to it. This is why changing things around seems to make a difference. A different environment, vapourizer, strain, mental state—all of these will give you a slightly different experience. You can only be a virgin once, however.

Sounds like you need to take a longer break, and then use more weed to get "blasted" as you say. You won't get used to it, if you don't do it repeatedly. It's only been over a month for me, and I can barely even remember what the feeling is like :lol:. This happens to me on every break, but I do know when I go back after a month, the effects are not even close to 3 months. Due to the brains neuroplasticity, it can take a very long time to re-balance, and this even means 1-2+ years in many instances. It's common for many drugs that are used regularly or abused.

All those factors that you mentioned pale in comparison to receptor re-sensitization IMO. But I guess we're all different because with a tolerance I never had "vape signature", strain, mental state, or environment make much of a difference compared to healthy recovered ECS and Dopamine receptors.

@TheFatBastard What's the longest break you have taken?

@CANtalk Your last post deserves a "sticky"! :rockon::tup:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Sounds like you need to take a longer break, and then use more weed to get "blasted" as you say. You won't get used to it, if you don't do it repeatedly. It's only been over a month for me, and I can barely even remember what the feeling is like :lol:. This happens to me on every break, but I do know when I go back after a month, the effects are not even close to 3 months. Due to the brains neuroplasticity, it can take a very long time to re-balance, and this even means 1-2+ years in many instances. It's common for many drugs that are used regularly or abused.

All those factors that you mentioned pale in comparison to receptor re-sensitization IMO. But I guess we're all different because with a tolerance I never had "vape signature", strain, mental state, or environment make much of a difference compared to healthy recovered ECS and Dopamine receptors.

@TheFatBastard What's the longest break you have taken?

@CANtalk Your last post deserves a "sticky"! :rockon::tup:

My breaks were a) annual and b) 60-70 days long. Back in the day (70s and 80s) when cannabis was much much harder to get, I had several breaks of 3-4 months. Same thing.

People are different. It shouldn't be a surprise that some of us don't react the same way to long breaks.

As for re-sensitization, I tried the Sulak method. I concluded that it does work and would be of great benefit to some (many?) people, but it did not make much difference to me. I've watched some of his other videos and his ideas are similar to my own. In one of them he talks about individual differences and how they can result in widely varying dosages to achieve similar results. In other words, there is no formula that works for everyone. You have to figure things out yourself.

biohacker

@pakalolo has it ALWAYS been like this, or now just in your Golden Years? :tup: Or maybe you just have some unique gene variant, kind of like slow/fast caffeine metabolizers? And I assume your "first time" was combusting. That's a completely different variable. Personally, although not like the first time, even just a few days off when I have a tolerance, can come quite close. Or at least it "feels" like it due to the contrasting sobriety.

3 weeks.

I’m still thinking if it is worth to make a 3 month break for having several “good highs” (tolerance will appear again for sure) or if it is better to go microdosing and experience a decent high weekly.

If you're only vaping tiny amounts once a week, I think 3 weeks should be sufficient IMO, but I guess there is only one way to find out. Fortunately with your light usage, going 3 months shouldn't even be a challenge. I'm honestly very surprised that you and Pak aren't getting blasted like the first time after protracted breaks. That definitely sucks!

biohacker,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
@pakalolo has it ALWAYS been like this, or now just in your Golden Years? :tup: Or maybe you just have some unique gene variant, kind of like slow/fast caffeine metabolizers? And I assume your "first time" was combusting. That's a completely different variable. Personally, although not like the first time, even just a few days off when I have a tolerance, can come quite close. Or at least it "feels" like it due to the contrasting sobriety.

Always like this. My first time wasn't even flowers, it was hash on a pin, inhaled through a straw. It was an incredible experience that included near-hallucination. I have never since come close to it.

biohacker

Always like this. My first time wasn't even flowers, it was hash on a pin, inhaled through a straw. It was an incredible experience that included near-hallucination. I have never since come close to it.

I'd love for you to take a .1g of good live resin full spectrum extract off of a ruby/sapphire surface at 500f after a protracted break (several months) and then report back! :D

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
.1g of good live resin full spectrum extract off of a ruby/sapphire surface at 500f after a protracted break (several months)

That sounds wonderful!

I'd love to re-experience my first high. But that's not usually possible.
I just like to enjoy the herb for what it is. That should be good enough, right?!?

The first time is always unique and special. Like my first psychedelic experience. I'll never be able to recreate that...but that doesn't make future trips less valuable. I've learned and grown as a person since then.

I'm not the same person today that I was all those years ago. Why should I expect to be able to recreate the same experience in a different person?

Last edited:

biohacker

That sounds wonderful!

For some, it can be! For others, not so much! :lol:

I'd love to re-experience my first high. But that's not usually possible.

"Usually"? How long was your longest break?

That should be good enough, right?!?

That's a question for you to decide?

The first time is always unique and special.

Many don't even get "high" the first time.

Why should I expect to be able to recreate the same experience in a different person?

Experience and high are two different entities altogether.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I've noticed over the years that I have quite a different reaction than most people. I've been sat here comfortably stoned while friends are borderline tripping high through edibles. I just get high, and then if I overdose, I just sleep.

I'm now thinking its autism and the lack of neural pathway pruning during teenage years, OCD/ADHD and few other things making the high just level me out more than trip me out (diagnosis let me know that there's a tourettes element to me too, but I've come up with too many coping mechanisms over the years so I couldnt be properly tested for it). Plus years of meditation, mind control and now the medication I'm on...

Doesnt make it any less enjoyable but it does make it a bit confusing for describing reactions of substances to other people.

EDIT: Tho yeah, I think on the whole, acclamation, like @pakalolo said, is kinda inevitable.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
For some, it can be! For others, not so much!:lol:

I was speaking for myself.

"Usually"? How long was your longest break?

I've had breaks of various lengths. The longest was ~8-9 years.

That's a question for you to decide?

Exactly!

Many don't even get "high" the first time.

In my experience, that's usually more of a mechanical failure.

Experience and high are two different entities altogether.

I would argue that the high is a subset of the experience.

biohacker

In my experience, that's usually more of a mechanical failure.

For many it's due to a lack of sufficient receptors. This is part of the Dr. Sulak "re-sensitization" process as well. It can take a few times for someone new to cannabis before experiencing their "real" first time.

I would argue that the high is a subset of the experience.

That's cool, many tie the two together... but personally if I get that same medicated feeling now 25 years later, it's still the same as the virgin experience, even though the set and setting are completely different. Then again, many of us are not in the same physical shape and body composition as the first time, but some of us are in even better shape.

So with that said, it's even possible to have a better high than the virgin first time, especially with the popularity and availability of high quality extracts and wicked new technology such as vapes and gemstone dabbing surfaces. That first time for me was combusting weed, and I much prefer a vaporizing experience since then, since it's actually stronger and smoother. But I think many people also remember that "rush" of carbon monoxide depriving them of oxygen! :lol:

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

I feel like the duration of your vaporizing sessions can have a significant effect on how strong the effects feel, due to your metabolism and a pretty quick onset of tolerance.

When you smoke a bowl through a bong, you can completely consume a decent amount of weed in a few seconds. It reminds me of sitting down and knocking back a few shots of whiskey. You'll get pretty ripped, as it all hits you at once.

With vaporizing, if you take some time between each hit, and enjoy the whole ritual for a while, liek oyou might do while enjoying a few glasses of wine over a long dinner, you can stretch that same amount of weed over like 30-45 minutes, and end up basically extending the buzz from the first GonG-full, with the next one or two loads, rather than climbing higher and higher.

Morty

but I'd like to have one of these amazing, almost psychedelic highs that I used to have when I started vaping.

I only vape on weekends, but yes, what I've lost is the psychedelic effects of the high. Even vaping 2 days and having 5 days without consuming, doesn't bring back those awesome psychedelics effects, specially when listening to music or watching a live concert. I'm a musician myself and love to write and play with that psychedelic vibe of the cannabis.

Get a Supreme. Concentrate sandwiches in the Supreme is hands down the most psychedelic high I've ever experienced inhaling cannabis. Feels like an edibles high mixed in with a heavy vapor stone that lasts for hours & hours. Zero to a thousand instantly.
It's like mainlining thc :tup:

Pretty much. :rofl:

I hear 6 star bubble & hash rosin are pretty psychedelic too. :brow:

TheFatBastard

Well…it has been 4 years since I started this post.

I get used to get “not so good highs” as the first months, but still nice highs. I used to vape only fridays or saturdays….but I started to vap ocasionally on wednesdays. I noticed, of course, the more days between sessions, the better highs.

Through these years I’ve taken several, T-Breaks, changing vaps, strains…. But lately, even with a 15 days break, the first time I vaped was just like if I wouldn’t have taken that 15 days break.

I’m seriously thinking about trying Dr. Sulak’s resensitization process…to be honest, weed seems to have lost kind of its appeal to me. I miss these regular highs I’ve had these last 4 years. Now is just a little buzz and, sometimes, a nice high, if I wait 5/6 days.

Any advices?

Md_Hybrid

Stuck under a 🪵
Well…it has been 4 years since I started this post.

I get used to get “not so good highs” as the first months, but still nice highs. I used to vape only fridays or saturdays….but I started to vap ocasionally on wednesdays. I noticed, of course, the more days between sessions, the better highs.

Through these years I’ve taken several, T-Breaks, changing vaps, strains…. But lately, even with a 15 days break, the first time I vaped was just like if I wouldn’t have taken that 15 days break.

I’m seriously thinking about trying Dr. Sulak’s resensitization process…to be honest, weed seems to have lost kind of its appeal to me. I miss these regular highs I’ve had these last 4 years. Now is just a little buzz and, sometimes, a nice high, if I wait 5/6 days.

Any advices?
Are you still using the v-tower? If so, maybe it's time for a heavier hitting vape ?

TheFatBastard

Are you still using the v-tower? If so, maybe it's time for a heavier hitting vape ?
I use the V-Tower and the New Vape Flowerpot, which is a powerful toy. Also an Arizer Argo for ocassional experiences outside.

I don’t think the vape is the problem to be honest. Also, I’ve tried to vap like 0.5gr after a week T-Break (which is like double of what I usually use) and guess dosage is not also a problem, it provided the same effect thet I get with 0.2gr

Oh! I forgot: I also use rosin tin the Flowerpot from time to time….once a month maybe…. I can feel of course that the rosin hits harder, but the high is not as good as it should be.

Of course, I’m talking from a recreational use point of view…..

I use to listen to music when I vape, turn off the lights and enjoy a couple of good records in vinyl. I used to enjoy this A LOT, now, sometimes, I get bored when I finish the first LP, that is when usually mi high was at his top (45min maybe) and I could really “feel” and enjoy the music at another level thanks to THC.

Last edited:

Md_Hybrid

Stuck under a 🪵
I use the V-Tower and the New Vape Flowerpot, which is a powerful toy. Also an Arizer Argo for ocassional experiences outside.

I don’t think the vape is the problem to be honest. Also, I’ve tried to vap like 0.5gr after a week T-Break (which is like double of what I usually use) and guess dosage is not also a problem, it provided the same effect thet I get with 0.2gr

Oh! I forgot: I also use rosin tin the Flowerpot from time to time….once a month maybe…. I can feel of course that the rosin hits harder, but the high is not as good as it should be.

I use to listen to music when I vape, turn off the lights and enjoy a couple of good records in vinyl. I used to enjoy this A LOT, now, sometimes, I get bored when I finish the first LP, that is when usually mi high was at his top (45min maybe) and I could really “feel” and enjoy the music at another level thanks to THC.
I'd agree, the flowerpot is definitely a heavy hitter so it's probably not that. Not sure what else you could do but I do hope you find something that helps.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

It's probably the herb. Most of these modern strains with the huge THC numbers are weak.

Top Bottom