Why can't I get the same "high" than I used to get?

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I think we encounter plateaus...I used to think of it as tolerance, but now I tend to think that it has to do with ECS activation, as if we get enough concentration built up that things start to switch on/off, and things are different, so our response is different.

I think part of it too is an adjustment we make; we come to realize we’re not acting weird, that we’re not being “obviously stoned”, and so we adapt to being stoned by not feeling tripped-out and self-conscious about it. I think this is the point where it actually gets more fun, we start to tackle new things, like walking to the store and back, trying to not get lost among the munchies, not tripping over our feet, not losing the thread of the conversation, watching movies.... as we do this, our capacity for more and more detailed and precise behaviors increases. I think it’s around this point that people take up new hobbies or interests - or take them more seriously.

Something you might try doing is change up your routine. If you typically vape as soon as you get home, wait until you’ve fed the dog, changed clothes, put things away. If you wake’n’bake on the weekends, try waiting until after your coffee, or after your morning errands - almost any variation in your schedule will shift your expectations of the experience and yourself, and that will shift the experience for you. Likewise, if you usually vape alone, invite a friend over, or try it by yourself, if you haven’t. I find it all worthwhile. Be flexible!

I find I like microdosing most when I need my timing sharp and my attention unfurled, and *also* when I’m studying or researching. Most other times, I’ll do the equivalent of two or three vapcaps over the course of an hour, just going with the flow.

Hopefully you’ll find some of that useful.

I agree with this a great deal. I have taken 1 T break in over 25 years of daily smoking...and I didn't like it. :rofl:

For real though, I did switch to concentrates, and my tolerance is high, but I just "get stoned" differently than others now is what I call it. My eyes don't get red, I can still work, play, drive, I'm not paranoid, it's just all of the good things without the bad. BUT I don't feel fucked up at all off of it, haven't for years. I just consider it a mild mood-altering drug and a mandatory part of my sanity. It's just not a strong drug to me anymore, but I kinda like it like that!
Sometimes I see a friend get high as fuck off of 1 dab and I get so jealous, then they talk about how they couldn't go to work like that and I remember why I'm not actualy jealous.:cool:

Last edited:

Nina

Interesting and weird that you don't get the intoxication part of the high anymore @mrbonsai420 , I suppose it could be to do with the upregulation of some biochemical pathway for cannabinoid metabolites or some other such thing?
Whatever it is I wonder what triggers it?

I still get the intoxication part of the high but if I start using it again after a break I find that the high is much more buzzy and weird/trippy and then after a couple of weeks it goes back to being mostly a sedative effect

I'd quite like to get the trippy side of it back again, I know people say that it depends on the strain that you use but they all just seem the same to me

If you don't mind me asking @mrbonsai420 was there a point when things changed for you, when you were no longer able to get the trippy sort of high from cannabis?

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

Interesting and weird that you don't get the intoxication part of the high anymore @mrbonsai420 , I suppose it could be to do with the upregulation of some biochemical pathway for cannabinoid metabolites or some other such thing?

I still get the intoxication part of the high but if I start using it again after a break I find that the high is much more buzzy and weird/trippy and then after a couple of weeks it goes back to being mostly a sedative effect

I'd quite like to get the trippy side of it back again, I know people say that it depends on the strain that you use but they all just seem the same to me

If you don't mind me asking @mrbonsai420 was there a point when things changed for you, when you were no longer able to get the trippy sort of high from cannabis?
I'm pretty sure he still gets a buzz, it's just more more functional and less intense/trippy.

It's the psychedelic aspects that see to fade first, with a growing tolerance.

This seems to happen when you vaporize more than once a day, or when you start needing to use more for the same buzz, which is indicative of you using too much/too frequently to prevent tolerance increase.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....

NOT MrBonsai, clearly, but may I have at it?

Maybe the word I want, rather than adapted, is acclimated. Once we’re acclimated to a particular level of ‘current cannabinoid load’, I think it does require that we reach beyond the amount we’ve become acclimated to, in the same way that we get used to having the hoodie on, and need a jacket over it to stay warm when the temperature drops further. I put it this way because of what I know about the function of the ECS: it manages homeostasis, feedback loops, messaging systems within the body, so if I’m acclimated to a general altitude, and I want to go higher, it would make sense to add to my current cannabinoid load to do so. The “intoxication” is still there, and I smoke one hell of a lot less than some folks (tho plenty more than others). So in my case, no, there has been no ‘point’ beyond which I couldn’t get *that* high.

From your description, it almost sounds like your stash is deteriorating rather rapidly; I find that if the weed I have can get trippy, familiarity with it won’t give it couch-lock, and likewise, herb with a good body high rarely if ever feels trippy. I don’t live in a dispensary state, so I can’t speak to whether or not different names provide different highs, I’m pretty sure I’ve had none of the hip monikers being sported in legal states. I can say, however, that indica and sativa are different in what they have to offer. A case could be made that a Kush is a Kush is a Kush - and likewise for cheese, haze, skunk cookies, widows, etc. so it may be very possible that the things you’ve been smoking *have* been all alike. The only thing I ever got sealed from a dispensary said ‘Super Lemon Haze’, and that stuff gave me the weeble-wobbles, for sure, but it was never sedating.

Hope this at least gives you things you can use

Nina

Thank you for your insights and explanations @ClearBlueLou and @EverythingsHazy
Yes it does seem to be the psychedelic aspects that fade first with tolerance, then again I have heard reports that after using more 'hard core' psychedelics cannabis becomes a more psychedelic experience
the mystery deepens but I shall continue with the very important research aka 'getting very stoned every night':D bouyed up by the knowledge that you're all with me in this vital endeavour!

Last edited:

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

If you don't mind me asking @mrbonsai420 was there a point when things changed for you when you were no longer able to get the trippy sort of high from cannabis?

I still get high, I feel great, my mind opens up and thinks in a different way, but no one else can tell if I smoke or not. I sometimes wake up on a weekend and don't take a dab until maybe 4-5PM, having several hours of "sobriety", compare that to a weekday where I wake up and take a couple of dabs to start the day and honestly not many people would see the difference on the outside, probably nobody. But I surely can, it just doesn't feel like it's impairing me at all. Unlike stronger hallucinogens (LSD, MDMA, Psilocybin, DMT, 5-MeO-DMT) where my behavior is OBVIOUSLY different. Don't get me wrong, I love getting impaired! I have had the most awakening, mind-expanding, friendship bonding, soul finding adventures on stronger hallucinogens. I just don't use THC for that.
So although I am in a non-legal state I use cannabis for the medicinal side effects I get from it, mainly Stress relief, I don't have a lot of anxiety and worry like a lot of other adults. I am able to go to work 50 hours a week, make bank, and still party all night on the weekends when I want to like I was a kid or something. and I attribute that partly to living a stress-free lifestyle with the help of cannabis. People in my professional world do comment that I am pretty "Laid Back". :lol:

I want to add that IF I want to get fucked up off of Cannabis, it's really easy for me, I just eat it. The way your liver metabolizes the THC transforms it into quite a strong drug for me. I tend to eat a lot per dose, around 100-250mg of THC depending, but I DEFINITELY get that trippy feeling off of edibles still. I always laugh when new cannabis users are scared to vape, smoke, or dab, so they say they are going to start lite and eat some!!! WTF, that is so backward, eating it is by far the most intoxicating method, oh well. They will live and learn.

Nina

Unlike stronger hallucinogens
I wonder if the use of stronger hallucinogens could be a key thing which changes the way that cannabis is experienced for people?
Thanks, I appreciate your elaborating on this, and the idea that cannabis can make you feel enhanced but not in any way impaired is very interesting!

ClearBlueLou

I personally find that cannabis has a *moderating* influence on LSD, MDMA, and psilocybin. My experience doesn’t support the idea that psychedelics make cannabis MORE psychedelic.

Sorry...

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...i believe cannabis is just a 'weak' drug in a sense... the same as coffee, or tobacco (going of what other people have told me with tobacco)...

...meaning, people who do the above infrequently notice greater effects than the people who use regularly...

...and unlike other drugs out there, IME and other people ive talked to about this, you can only get 'so high' off cannabis- once you get to 'that' place your only just consuming more but not getting higher...... unlike alcohol and many others...

ClearBlueLou

I’ll agree to the extent that one can only get ‘so high’ from a given batch, but this gets into nuances like how the plant material was grown, dried, cured, and stored on its way to you.

There are numerous sativas that are known as having “no ceiling”, but they aren’t commonly available: they are strains of their own, they can take up to 16 weeks to finish flower (most commercially available bud is harvested around 8 weeks), they tend to be tall and bushy, and they tend to produce a lower bud-weight per plant. All of that makes them “less desirable” from a commercial grower’s POV.

Last edited:

Tranquility

...i believe cannabis is just a 'weak' drug in a sense... the same as coffee, or tobacco (going of what other people have told me with tobacco)...

...meaning, people who do the above infrequently notice greater effects than the people who use regularly...

...and unlike other drugs out there, IME and other people ive talked to about this, you can only get 'so high' off cannabis- once you get to 'that' place your only just consuming more but not getting higher...... unlike alcohol and many others...

The nicotine in tobacco is a fairly strong drug, it's just we get acclimated to it pretty quickly. If you don't smoke, get a cigar (A real one, not a cigarillo-type.) and puff it down.

The walls will vibrate.

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
The nicotine in tobacco is a fairly strong drug, it's just we get acclimated to it pretty quickly

...i have a problem and that other people seem to get my points across better than i'm able to get them out, lol... i need someone to translate my thoughts for me :lol:

...the bold, underlined and italic text i quoted is what i was getting at...

Baron23

Yes, I'm about to be a bit rude....but everytime I see the title of this thread:

"Why can't I get the same "high" than I used to get?"

I have the immediate thought...

"probably for the same reason we don't get wood like we did when we were 18 y.o."

Yes...this is actually how I think.....sad, isn't it?

Last edited:

ClearBlueLou

Not so much rude as graphic, still, it works...

An on-topic note: after 19 years of solid regular usage, I took a break that lasted 16 months. When I returned to regular consumption, I did not suddenly get “blasted like the good old days”, although I would have been a cheap date for a while, had occurred to anyone....

Nina

I don't personally find that the effects have changed much overtime for me, it feels the same now as it did 25 years ago

I suppose individual biochemistry and things of that nature would be the greatest variable when it comes to how people react to cannabis?

There are numerous sativas that are known as having “no ceiling”,
Well I wish I could get ahold of some of them!:D

Last edited:

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I don't personally find that the effects have changed much overtime for me, it feels the same now as it did 25 years ago

I suppose individual biochemistry and things of that nature would be the greatest variable when it comes to how people react to cannabis?

Well I wish I could get ahold of some of them!:D
Well, I posted this in another thread, but I think this may be of interest for a lot of people that has changed to vaping.

I have an Extreme V-Tower, and when I started vaping, I got really GOOD HIGHS, I mean, I could watch a concert and really feel the music, enjoy the images, like if I were just there, watching it live! Also, almost psicodelic high, with colors changing, body floating, introspective thinking... really awesome, and using little amount of herbs.

After some time, my vapings sessions had less effect and I feel really sleepy, and I never had again that kind of high that I really enjoyed. Even sex was great in my first highs, but now I even can't "function" sometimes :lol:

After taking 5 or 6 puffs in about 10 minutes, I get a nice high, but not as "high" as I described before, just a nice buzz....then I continue vaping and at a point, the high goes away and I get really stoned, sleepy....

I also adquired a Ddave mod kit, thinking I could get that kind of high again with new glass in the V-Tower...even bought a bong to use wit it, but didn't help much.

In my first session, as I was experimenting, new to the Extreme V-Tower, I used to have hits very slowly, and very spaced between them, 5/10min or so.... maybe that is the secret? I tried to do the same in my last session but, again, can't get that same cool "high"

I use pretty much the same quantity of herbs, and for sure I've not created tolerance as I only vape weekend nights.

Any idea of how get that nice high, great for listening to music, watch vids, introspective thoughts, etc????

Thanks all in advance!!!
Try dabs man, good concentrate has an extremely high ceiling. And the flavor of fantastic hash rosin, BHO, or live resin is so good. And if you can get ahold of Diamonds or sauce with diamonds, those little nuggets are pure THC and guaranteed to get you ripped. And if that doesn't work, I make some reclaim brownies that will shoot you to the moon.
I find that when my tolerance is high off of one or the other, switching from concentrates to flower, or flower to concentrates helps he achieve that "High" feeling again.
Although I probably go through 1 gram of concentrate every 2-3 days or so if I don't share. I hadn't vaped flower in over a month until last night. I was sent a little Boundless CF Lite to test, and test I did. It's just a little palm-sized baby conduction vape, not even huge clouds like a my evo or supreme, but it thoroughly vaped the weed. I haven't used a conduction vape since my Haze 2.5! but low and behold, 4x .2g bowls in and I was pretty damn high. Higher than a dab or 2 would get me currently, but if I had been smoking flower a lot, the concentrate always wins. Strange how the body reacts to different cannabinoids, stains, and even methods.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Try dabs man, good concentrate has an extremely high ceiling. And the flavor of fantastic hash rosin, BHO, or live resin is so good. And if you can get ahold of Diamonds or sauce with diamonds, those little nuggets are pure THC and guaranteed to get you ripped. And if that doesn't work, I make some reclaim brownies that will shoot you to the moon.
I find that when my tolerance is high off of one or the other, switching from concentrates to flower, or flower to concentrates helps he achieve that "High" feeling again.
Although I probably go through 1 gram of concentrate every 2-3 days or so if I don't share. I hadn't vaped flower in over a month until last night. I was sent a little Boundless CF Lite to test, and test I did. It's just a little palm-sized baby conduction vape, not even huge clouds like a my evo or supreme, but it thoroughly vaped the weed. I haven't used a conduction vape since my Haze 2.5! but low and behold, 4x .2g bowls in and I was pretty damn high. Higher than a dab or 2 would get me currently, but if I had been smoking flower a lot, the concentrate always wins. Strange how the body reacts to different cannabinoids, stains, and even methods.
Excellent suggestion, @mrbonsai420 . Dabs would be an excellent idea. If the OP hasn't access, there is always rosin and a hair iron to help get there.

TheFatBastard

Well, I replied to a forumite who asked about my 15 day vaping break, so guess I’ll share the info here to anyone interested in my experience:

Hey!!! Sorry buddy, been out for bussines until today.

I did 15 days with no vaping at all.On the 16th day, I did like 0.2 in my Extreme Q and the high was very good, not as good as when I started vaping, but definitely way better than the last ones.

Guess I was vaping too much weed in each seasion trying to get that “first high” back, and that built a tolerance.Now my intention is to keep vaping once a week (or maybe two) and little amount of weed, let’s say 0.1 / 0.2 per session.

Indeed, it has been 6 days since I vaped last saturday, so to ight I’m gonna give myself a little treat and see how it goes.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
I hadn't vaped flower in over a month until last night. I was sent a little Boundless CF Lite to test, and test I did. It's just a little palm-sized baby conduction vape, not even huge clouds like a my evo or supreme, but it thoroughly vaped the weed. I haven't used a conduction vape since my Haze 2.5! but low and behold, 4x .2g bowls in and I was pretty damn hig.

Hi ... what was your overall opinion on the Boundless CFC Lite? ... Thanks

https://www.planetofthevapes.com/products/boundless-cfc-lite

Last edited:
Top Bottom