• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Which vape to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapeguy

I had an LSV for 3 years and its performance seems to have degraded significantly over that time to the point where I want a new vape to replace it, hopefully one that won't degrade in performance with time (unless it's my imagination, does the LSV degrade in performance after 3 years?)

I used to have a Volcano which was awesome and I don't think its performance ever degraded like the LSV's, but I ended up being extremely poor for a few years and could no longer afford to fill its ridiculously big chamber so I sold it for the LSV that has a much smaller chamber and allowed me to use less.

I'm tempted to get a Volcano again but also realize that lots of new vapes must be out since I last shopped for one years ago. I was suggested an $800 vape when I last asked here but I can't find where to see my old threads so I can't see what it was called, I was tempted but my financial situation went down since so it's no longer an option, $500 would be my absolute limit.

I also would prefer one that can be used directly like the LSV but that can also inflate bags like the Volcano.

What would be good options at $500 or less?

Thanks

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I had an LSV for 3 years and its performance seems to have degraded significantly over that time to the point where I want a new vape to replace it, hopefully one that won't degrade in performance with time (unless it's my imagination, does the LSV degrade in performance after 3 years?)

LSV performance shouldn't degrade after only 3 years, how often did you run it?? @Herb-nerd should be able to comment, but 3 years seems quite short for the vape.

There are lots of vapes in your price range, but you seem to want your vape to do a lot of things ( a jack of all is a master of none).

I'm still in love with my LSV, but if I had to buy another desktop vape, my next purchase would probably be the Herbalaire H2.2 (although I still really like my E-Nano as well)

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

I used to have a Volcano which was awesome and I don't think its performance ever degraded like the LSV's, but I ended up being extremely poor for a few years and could no longer afford to fill its ridiculously big chamber so I sold it for the LSV that has a much smaller chamber and allowed me to use less.

I'm tempted to get a Volcano again but also realize that lots of new vapes must be out since I last shopped for one years ago. I was suggested an $800 vape when I last asked here but I can't find where to see my old threads so I can't see what it was called, I was tempted but my financial situation went down since so it's no longer an option, $500 would be my absolute limit.

I also would prefer one that can be used directly like the LSV but that can also inflate bags like the Volcano.

What would be good options at $500 or less?

Thanks
NANO AND BUY some cannabis!

Herb-nerd

7th Floor: Engineer & Designer
Company Rep
LSV performance shouldn't degrade after only 3 years, how often did you run it?? @Herb-nerd should be able to comment, but 3 years seems quite short for the vape.

There are lots of vapes in your price range, but you seem to want your vape to do a lot of things ( a jack of all is a master of none).

I'm still in love with my LSV, but if I had to buy another desktop vape, my next purchase would probably be the Herbalaire H2.2 (although I still really like my E-Nano as well)
Yeah that doesn't sound normal let a-lot expectable unless more information is given.

Sorry to hear that your LSV stopping performing, though the heater does not generally "Wear" in that manner.

(Side note, just filled a basket screen using the super surfer......... i like)

mixchu69

I believe if you go with stickstones retailer or find a coupon, you should be able to get the herbalizer in the low $600s. I think it is worth the extra $100 so you can do bags, whips, or straight hydro tube. If $600 is out of budget (I know you said $500), sorry for recommendation. My personal feeling (I know a lot of ppl don't share this opinion) but I think the extra $100 is worth it over the long run.

Herb-nerd

Company Rep
Also - all the hate on bags confounds me. Pretentious, uninformed and elitist nonsense haha. Really - it makes me chuckle.:clap:

How can someone with compromised lung function use a whip vape? or a direct draw with the throat irritation.

How can a novice, disabled or otherwise handicapped (could be mentally - autism or similar) understand the parameters of vaporization enough to use the whip or direct draw method in a medical manner. They simply can't.

For medical use, it is obviously best to remove the user from the extraction process if repeatability and consistency is desired. This requires at the very least - forced air which in turn requires a receptacle for collection of the vapour efflux, AKA the bag.

I am a fan of bag vaporizers, i am a fan of whips, i am a fan of direct-draw - desktops and portables.

Only a fool would declare something the best or better than something else with out criteria for assessment.

As for something that mixes the LSV and the Forced air, you will be struggling.

The LSV and log type vaporizers can be easily handles due to their size, adding a fan and some more electronics and fixings removes that.

I'm currently using my super surfer in place of my LSV (which i use when im low with 0.1g bowls).

Its on my profile is you look

Mod note: post modified to be within commercial member rules

Last edited by a moderator:
Herb-nerd,

vapeguy

I think there may be 2 possible explanations for why my LSV's performance seems to have degraded. Firstly I'm now in a location where more things are on the same electrical circuit, meaning that if the AC or heating is running (most of the year one or the other is running) the voltage can drop from 120 to 110-115 volts. Since the LSV has no active temperature control, it can't automatically compensate for this as virtually every other vape would since most have a thermostat. Secondly, I used to hold my 4 piece grinder upside down to get a finer grind, but this caused herb to get between the two grinding pieces causing them to eventually solder themselves together, to avoid this I now hold it right side up resulting in a coarser grind.

So one thing I absolutely want in my next vape is a thermostat as with the fluctuations in voltage my temperature is going all over the place based on the AC/heating starting and stopping. Also only since I'm at this new location, I've had the contents catch fire several times when this had never happened before. I suspect this is when I put the temp up to compensate for the AC/Heat starting, and when the AC/Heat stops the LSV's temperature jumps and causes combustion.

I think it's clear a "dumb" vape like the LSV is simply not an option when you have large voltage fluctuations like I do and I think this may be the main reason why it seems to be working so horribly since I moved.

I've looked at the HerbalAire and its pump setup is absolutely ridiculous, there's no way I'm going to take out 2 separate machines and make all those electrical and tubing connections, I'd only consider it if I didn't want bags.

When you recommend the Nano, I seem to find more than one vape that has Nano in its name, so which Nano are you referring to? One of the Nanos seems to have "dumb" temp control like the LSV, if that's the case it's not an option, I NEED active temperature control with my roller coaster voltage.

I also want to mention the reason I wanted a vape that can also do bags was that I thought it would help get more consistent results by having a controlled airflow, but it seems my voltage issue is mostly to blame, so I may not want one that also does bags after all.

Herb-nerd: You said there's a new vape and to check out the site, but you don't say what the vape is called or what the site is, I did check the LSV website and it seems to just have the LSV, can you please tell me the name and website of the one you're taking about?

vapeguy,

chimpybits

I think there may be 2 possible explanations for why my LSV's performance seems to have degraded. Firstly I'm now in a location where more things are on the same electrical circuit, meaning that if the AC or heating is running (most of the year one or the other is running) the voltage can drop from 120 to 110-115 volts. Since the LSV has no active temperature control, it can't automatically compensate for this as virtually every other vape would since most have a thermostat. Secondly, I used to hold my 4 piece grinder upside down to get a finer grind, but this caused herb to get between the two grinding pieces causing them to eventually solder themselves together, to avoid this I now hold it right side up resulting in a coarser grind.

So one thing I absolutely want in my next vape is a thermostat as with the fluctuations in voltage my temperature is going all over the place based on the AC/heating starting and stopping. Also only since I'm at this new location, I've had the contents catch fire several times when this had never happened before. I suspect this is when I put the temp up to compensate for the AC/Heat starting, and when the AC/Heat stops the LSV's temperature jumps and causes combustion.
Sounds like you need a VVPS like The Voltage Keeper
These are typically used with DC-powered log vapes like the Heat Island (Hi) or the Underdog. Offhand, this is what I'd recommend. The AC-powered vape E-Nano doesn't use a VVPS, instead using a rheostat-type control. Given your voltage fluctuations, a VVPS and DC log makes sense.

I've looked at the HerbalAire and its pump setup is absolutely ridiculous, there's no way I'm going to take out 2 separate machines and make all those electrical and tubing connections, I'd only consider it if I didn't want bags.

When you recommend the Nano, I seem to find more than one vape that has Nano in its name, so which Nano are you referring to? One of the Nanos seems to have "dumb" temp control like the LSV, if that's the case it's not an option, I NEED active temperature control with my roller coaster voltage.
E-Nano from Epicvape
Herb-nerd: You said there's a new vape and to check out the site, but you don't say what the vape is called or what the site is, I did check the LSV website and it seems to just have the LSV, can you please tell me the name and website of the one you're taking about?
Super Surfer Vaporizer is the 7th floor vape with bag blowing capability

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker

I think it's clear a "dumb" vape like the LSV is simply not an option when you have large voltage fluctuations like I do and I think this may be the main reason why it seems to be working so horribly since I moved.

I also want to mention the reason I wanted a vape that can also do bags was that I thought it would help get more consistent results by having a controlled airflow, but it seems my voltage issue is mostly to blame, so I may not want one that also does bags after all.

If that's the case, I would avoid the E-Nano. There is no active temperature control

Delta3DStudios,
Reactions: chimpybits

ginolicious

May I suggest the Vapir Rise 2.0?

Does Bags, balloons, or a 4 person hook up( never use it though, no need)

Price is $249.00 which is excellent for the quality.

ginolicious,

max

Out to lunch
the voltage can drop from 120 to 110-115 volts.
That's actually a normal fluctuation. In many cases you may not ever measure 120v from the outlet. It could range from 127 to below 110. And if varying voltage was your problem, I wouldn't expect any vape to be able to deal with it. You'd be better off using a good power conditioner. Some of those won't even address smoothing out line voltage.

vapeguy

That's actually a normal fluctuation. In many cases you may not ever measure 120v from the outlet. It could range from 127 to below 110. And if varying voltage was your problem, I wouldn't expect any vape to be able to deal with it. You'd be better off using a good power conditioner. Some of those won't even address smoothing out line voltage.

I do have a UPS but it doesn't kick in even with the voltage down to 110 which as you say I think is normal. Anyway any vape with a thermostat would automatically cancel out any voltage variations as it's actively maintaining a set temperature regardless of the voltage, unless the voltage was so low it couldn't reach the proper temp to begin with. Another reason I absolutely want one with a thermostat is that it maintains (or at least tries to) the same temp regardless of how fast or slow you inhale, I don't like the "dumbness" of how temperature is "maintained" on the LSV, it's still a very good vape but I miss having accurate and consistent temperature control.

I like consistency and repeatability, so I'd like a vape with digital temperature control so that I can have the same experience over and over without having to guess if a knob is at the right place or if I'm inhaling at the right speed. With the LSV, setting the knob a bit too far and/or inhaling a bit to slow or fast causes a big difference.

So I'm adding another criteria, I want ideally digital temperature control, or at least mechanical like on the original Volcano. I'm also willing to give up the bag requirement as I wanted that to get consistency, but digital temperature control should be able to do that.

I don't think anyone commented on this, but would the Volcano be a good choice or are the newer vapes better? I really liked my Volcano other than having to use fairly large amounts, though if I'm not mistaken I think a load would last me 2-3 days but it was so long ago I'm not sure.

Thanks

vapeguy,

HD Springer

How about looking at the EQ Does everything you are wanting at a completely reasonable price. It doesn't get a lot of love. But it does everything you have asked in your requests with a vape. I've owned mine for a couple yrs and won't get rid of it. I will buy a log vape eventually but that's a dif. story.

HD Springer,
Reactions: flotntoke

vapeguy

@vapeguy have you considered the Cloud EVO?

I think the glass part for it is very expensive and I know I would break several per year so it's not an option for me.

How about looking at the EQ Does everything you are wanting at a completely reasonable price. It doesn't get a lot of love. But it does everything you have asked in your requests with a vape. I've owned mine for a couple yrs and won't get rid of it. I will buy a log vape eventually but that's a dif. story.

I had the EQ and found it to be the most horrible vape I ever had as it barely made any vapor. Based on other reviews I had to assume mine was defective but because the company said that if I return it and it's found to not be defective they would charge me a fortune I just gave up on it as there was no clear way to know it was defective, it's not like it didn't power up, everything seemed fine other than extremely weak vapor. I really hope mine was defective but there's no way it would get the reviews it has if they all worked like the one I had, but because the company was threatening to charge me if they decided it wasn't broken I decided to give up on it and I wish the company would have helped me rather than threaten to charge me more money for a useless vape.

vapeguy,
Reactions: ataxian

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
My top recommendation is slightly out of budget, The Herbalizer. If temp control, consistency, bag blower/whip and water flexibility are a must. It is a great machine. I use it very often.

Others to consider, perhaps the Aeromed 4.0 at a price lower than Herbie you can have many of the same features/ benefits, Halogen heating element, digital temp control, easy to use with or without water. Minus -bag capibility. I have never used one, though I have kept up with thread. It seems to fill your request as well. It can be had under the budget stated.

Or maybe the Herbalaire Elite, comes in under budget. It is capable of whip/bag, and multiple bag/whip usage. supports up to five users at once. Digital temp control. It seems to be fully adjustable to fit the user. You contol temp and can adjust the output of the pump to best suit you/strain. I Never used one, but heard and read great things about there 2.2 model. This particular vape (brand) has a very strong following.
Those are the three I think may be able to fit your needs. I hope this helps :tup:

Last edited:

hoptimum

I think the glass part for it is very expensive and I know I would break several per year so it's not an option for me.

Not necessarily. Some people use their Clouds inverted with regular bubblers. Something like this will work, and you won't shed too many tears if it breaks.....

http://www.dhgate.com/product/d020-bubbler-hand-blown-glass-vase-perc-water/175832535.html

I had the EQ and found it to be the most horrible vape I ever had as it barely made any vapor. Based on other reviews I had to assume mine was defective but because the company said that if I return it and it's found to not be defective they would charge me a fortune I just gave up on it as there was no clear way to know it was defective, it's not like it didn't power up, everything seemed fine other than extremely weak vapor. I really hope mine was defective but there's no way it would get the reviews it has if they all worked like the one I had, but because the company was threatening to charge me if they decided it wasn't broken I decided to give up on it and I wish the company would have helped me rather than threaten to charge me more money for a useless vape.

The EQ should function well enough to create decent vapor, if it turns on at all and the fan works. I revisited mine after putting it away, and was surprisingly impressed.

hoptimum,

Herb-nerd

Company Rep
This is why you think people don't prefer bags, "Pretentious, uninformed and elitist nonsense haha." You make me laugh! You're a smart guy it shouldn't confound you that some people don't like bags — it is just a preference thing my friend.

Well i made that generalised statement based on my subjective experience, being that the general consensus among the "chronnoisseurs" is to hate on bags, which just irks me when no-one has any decent reason to other then as you say - preference. Why make noise because someone bought a blue car and you prefer red?

Not many seem to realise that the introduction of forced air improved the medical viability of vaporizers which in turn accelerated their acceptance, use, and subsequent classification as class II medical devices such as the Volcano.

Its the same thing with aluminium heating elements and parkinson's, people just repeat opinions they hear with no factual validation.

It's not that i don't understand why people don't like bags of-course that is just silly, more that i am confused by the infectious nature of popular opinion on message boards (which i shouldn't be being a user of them for 15 years now).

Its the chorus i hear from the circling bandwagon whose driver is blind and deaf that confounds me.

I do have a UPS but it doesn't kick in even with the voltage down to 110 which as you say I think is normal. Anyway any vape with a thermostat would automatically cancel out any voltage variations as it's actively maintaining a set temperature regardless of the voltage, unless the voltage was so low it couldn't reach the proper temp to begin with. Another reason I absolutely want one with a thermostat is that it maintains (or at least tries to) the same temp regardless of how fast or slow you inhale, I don't like the "dumbness" of how temperature is "maintained" on the LSV, it's still a very good vape but I miss having accurate and consistent temperature control.

I like consistency and repeatability, so I'd like a vape with digital temperature control so that I can have the same experience over and over without having to guess if a knob is at the right place or if I'm inhaling at the right speed. With the LSV, setting the knob a bit too far and/or inhaling a bit to slow or fast causes a big difference.

So I'm adding another criteria, I want ideally digital temperature control, or at least mechanical like on the original Volcano. I'm also willing to give up the bag requirement as I wanted that to get consistency, but digital temperature control should be able to do that.

I don't think anyone commented on this, but would the Volcano be a good choice or are the newer vapes better? I really liked my Volcano other than having to use fairly large amounts, though if I'm not mistaken I think a load would last me 2-3 days but it was so long ago I'm not sure.

Thanks
You shouldn't see a noticeable power variation from that sort of voltage drop.

As P = E^2 / R - when E = 120V and say the resistance of the element is 288 Ohms (arbitrary numbers) then the output power is 50W

Now if E drops to 110V then P = 110^2 / 288 = 42W which amounts to a 16% drop in output power which could be accounted for by turning the dial 16% more, assuming it isn't already at max.

But then again i wouldn't expect the supply stiffness to even factor in (though, we have different supply grids in the UK with different specifications of variation).

The LSV and all 7th floor vaporizers thus far use Open-Loop control or "dumb" control as it was called.

I totally agree on removing variables from the extraction process for consistency and efficiency and it was a subject of research in my education. I could maybe post some of my thesis where i detail the development of an autonomous forced air herbal vaporizer.

I really like using the prototype i ended up with as i graph the heating process to let me see it in real time on my small LCD.

Last edited:
Herb-nerd,
Reactions: ataxian

ginolicious

Vapir Rise 2.0. Really easy to clean. Cool looking. You can use the whip with a fan or without a fan. Has the option for bags if that's your thing. Still yet to use my bag. Vapor is quite nice. I use it at 185C. First few pulls are real nice.

Unless you are looking for portability. I actually opted for the Vapir rise over the Arizer air or solo.

ginolicious,

Herb-nerd

Company Rep
Yet another generalized statement about people that have decent reasons not to like bags. You said, "Being that the general consensus among connoisseurs is to hate on bags, which just irks me when no one has any decent reason to other then as you say — preference?"

What the hell are you talking about? So connoisseurs don't like bags according to you. You are simply wrong and your ignorance is irking you about something that is real and valid regarding bags and why some people may prefer not to use them.

Below is a valid reason a why a person may prefer not to use a bag:

Bags also take a lot more time for me to use in comparison to other methods.

I was simply saying that in my subjective experience peoples distaste to bags is misinformed and their valid uses are rarely acknowledged when discussing forced air as a feature.

Herb-nerd,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom