When would one profile post?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
When I was very new here I mistakenly asked a mod a question in his profile about posting test posts that probably should have been a PM. I meant to ask at the time, but I didn't and am asking now. ;)
Why is it possible to post in other people profiles, and when would that be the right place to post?

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
It's possible because xenForo thinks it's a useful feature.

I can't think of many reasons to make a profile post. One would be to let someone know that PMs are turned off, but anyone who turns off PMs has probably turned off profile posts too. We've had a few members post in Classifieds but who forgot to allow PMs, which means frustrated potential purchasers either give up or contact a moderator.

I don't like profile posts. I don't think I've ever made one. I do know that as I go about my moderator business, I sometimes notice profile posts that clearly have been missed by the intended recipient. A profile post generates an alert, but some people turn them off. Another undesirable possibility is that a profile post leads to a lengthy discussion in the profile, but so far I've never seen that happen here.

max

Out to lunch
I can't think of many reasons to make a profile post.
That's the truth. It really is a bad place to post anything regarding questions/answers. It's public so you can't ask about buying/selling anything, and whatever you post may not be seen for a while. I rarely look at my profile. Posting something like 'I like your avatar' or whatever is fine, but for the most part profile posting is a poor feature at best and at worst can get you in trouble, rules wise. For communication purposes, it's best to 'start a conversation'.

cleeb

Can someone tell me HOW to leave a profile post for another user? I can search them and view new ones, but I can't find any option to creaate one. Thx

cleeb,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Can someone tell me HOW to leave a profile post for another user? I can search them and view new ones, but I can't find any option to creaate one. Thx

Click on a profile to view it. If profile posts are turned on, there is a message box beneath the profile. As discussed above, however, you should probably start a conversation instead.

pakalolo,
Top Bottom