WhatsApp ?? what's up?

MinnBobber

Hi.
just heard about this and have some basic questions:

I'm in US but we are going to Europe in May.
I have an el-cheapo ZTE smartphone, with an el-cheapo TRAC phone/data plan.
I may or may not bring the smartphone, depending on if WhatsApp works with a tablet. Info on it always refers to "phones". The phone screen is too damn small to read emails etc.

I'm considering buying a Samsung Tab A 8 inch, 16 gig memory tablet as Costco has it for $175 instead of $199. For pictures, email, browsing FC :), google maps, maybe GPS
Does WhatsApp work with a tablet in a wifi area in Europe? Can a tablet with it send and receive e-messages AND actual phone calls?

It looks like it can send instant messages (or actual phone call???) to a smartphone (or to a tablet which has no phone number??).

Our host in Amsterdam suggested it and I know nothing about it. She gave me her phone number to use with WhatsApp but a tablet would have no phone number---- could she send to my tablet via my gmail addy or what?

Thanks for any info as trying to find out more about it

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Derrrpp

Maitri

Deadhead, Low-Temp Dabber, Mahayana Buddhist
Hi.
just heard about this and have some basic questions:

I'm in US but we are going to Europe in May.
I have an el-cheapo ZTE smartphone, with an el-cheapo TRAC phone/data plan.
I may or may not bring the smartphone, depending on if WhatsApp works with a tablet. Info on it always refers to "phones". The phone screen is too damn small to read emails etc.

I'm considering buying a Samsung Tab A 8 inch, 16 gig memory tablet as Costco has it for $175 instead of $199. For pictures, email, browsing FC :), google maps, maybe GPS
Does WhatsApp work with a tablet in a wifi area in Europe? Can a tablet with it send and receive e-messages AND actual phone calls?

It looks like it can send instant messages (or actual phone call???) to a smartphone (or to a tablet which has no phone number??).

Our host in Amsterdam suggested it and I know nothing about it. She gave me her phone number to use with WhatsApp but a tablet would have no phone number---- could she send to my tablet via my gmail addy or what?

Thanks for any info as trying to find out more about it

I know almost nothing about WhatsApp - but I know how to Google. :lol:

See if this tutorial may help.

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
I don't know anything about WhatsApp, but I use Google Voice to make calls and send text messages using WiFi. You just create a Google account (or use an existing one if you already have one) and sign up for Google voice, then you'll pick a phone number. Then download the "Hangouts" and "Hangouts Dialer" apps onto your mobile device, and you're all set. I've never used it outside of the US but it should work to call most numbers in the US and Canada for free.

One more thing to look into, I guess. Hope this helps.

:peace:

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
I don't think whatsapp will work without a gps cell phone to associate with.

Although I have found some install guides to work around the problem if I Google the following.

'Whatsapp on tablet without SIM'

I would just use skype instead tho.

If you try to by pass the SIM let us know how you get on.

MinnBobber

I did buy a Samsung Tab A and added 64 GB memory.

I was told by a user that Whatsapp works on a tablet but from their site/download page:
"
Minimum requirements:
  • Android OS 2.1 or above
  • Unlimited internet data plan recommended
  • Tablet devices are not supported"
Is this why I had found some whatsapp "several page instructions" :( that seemed to include entering a real phone number and then later deleting it. It gave me a headache so I left and now trying to find it again.

My host in Amsterdam wants me to use Whatsapp to contact her so I hope I get it downloaded somehow.

MinnBobber,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
What's app won't work without a valid phone number as far as my experience goes, so no tablet....

It is however encrypted now...

Last edited:
kellya86,

MinnBobber

The deed is done--only about 3 hours last night for whatsapp on a tablet.
I found 2 methods and worked slowly thru one until you had to have your smartphone scan a QR code---don't have that capability.
Method number 2 looked like no go thru Chrome but tips listed Firefox which I installed and after much work around, it appears I now have whatsapp--but have not tried it yet.

Top Bottom