What's your occupation or field of study?

hd_rider

I'm a senior software engineer for my company, managing our ERP system (Financials, Human Resources, and Procurement), Kronos Time Keeping System (Employee Time Records), and Business Objects reporting system. I pull down a healthy, six-figure income and am blessed to be able to work from home full-time.

I have two Associates degrees, a Bachelor's degree in Occupational Education, and a Master's Degree in Management Information Systems.

Who says "stoners" are unmotivated and never amount to much?

InspireAndAdmire

I'm a senior software engineer for my company, managing our ERP system (Financials, Human Resources, and Procurement), Kronos Time Keeping System (Employee Time Records), and Business Objects reporting system. I pull down a healthy, six-figure income and am blessed to be able to work from home full-time.

I have two Associates degrees, a Bachelor's degree in Occupational Education, and a Master's Degree in Management Information Systems.

Who says "stoners" are unmotivated and never amount to much?
Oh man. You just really motivated me. I'm into coding/programming. I started the basics of HTML/CSS and I'm considering Python as my first step into the real world. Should I start with another language first?

KingKannon

You basically described my job as well but I have a Computer Engineering Degree and although I don't make a 6 figure salary (mostly due to cost of living) I can work from home whenever and come and go as I please.

Some days / Usually I don't really do much, and I feel guilty so I'd rather go in the office and do nothing and then when I'm at home I really do nothing. But I always have a few projects on the verge of completion so when I'm at work and I complete like 3 big issues in a day, no one questions my true 'slackerness' lmaoooo:rofl::lol:

u just really motivated me. I'm into coding/programming. I started the basics of HTML/CSS and I'm considering Python as my first step into the real world. Should I start with another language first?

I do a lot of programming, and I would def recommend Python as a beginner language and learning Html is also good because from there you can touch on Java script and JSTL then possible onto straight Java class coding. If you never programmed before get Microsoft Access and create some databases and create your function using VBA instead of the Macros... this will help you to understand more about data manipulation when dealing with HTML/JS

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I play with fire and electricity, to heat different metals to thier melting points, where they then fuse together and become stronger than their parent materials.

Some call this an act magic or sorcery but I have better luck calling it welding/ brazing during the interviews.

Alan Partridge

Smell my cheese
Aha! I had previously hosted my own TV show on the BBC before turning down a second series. After that and becoming single, I worked for Radio Norwich, presenting my own morning show 'Up With The Partridge'. After some 'issues' I returned with an evening show, and currently host a military based quiz show on Sky TV channel UK Conquest called Skirmish, which has the highest audience share for any programme at that time of day- in the Norfolk area. I have also written a book, Bouncing Back, which was described by Shakin' Stevens as, and I quote, "lovely stuff".

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I'm in the process of getting back to school to finish up a degree in Computer Science or Information Science & Technology.

I work as somewhat of a "jack of all trades" for an engineering company that retrofits and installs control/automation. Our jobs can range from completely ripping out the "brains" of a hydroplant and reinstalling our newly configured "brains" to more HMI upgrades (Best example I can think of is we automated snow blowers.......guy can sit in his nice warm shack and turn on/off and the amount of snow just right there from the computer)

The coolest/funnest job is there is this big model of the city in olden times at a local science center and its supposed to be a "living city" so to speak, so we have every individual piece set up to their office so they can run it as they see fit. They want the water mill going all day, it can go all day. They want the amusement park lights on, cars moving left or right, etc. Give the user full control from another source (A computer). Enjoyed setting it up and watching all the kids get a kick out of it.

Like I said though, I don't have a degree, so a lot of the core engineering is kind of lost on me. I'm not the guy writing logic. Things I do, do, however:

- Design graphics to use with our HMI's
- Simple logic. Logic that is kind of redundant but takes time to write. (Making databases of Input/Output Tags and where they correspond.......
- Assemble "brains" on racks for later installation in office. ()
- Field Service (deconstruction & retrofitting of control systems on site)
- Sales. Both cold calls and low hanging fruit calls.

It's certainly different and keeps me on my toes. Some days are more stressful than others.

Today, is not one of those days. Made some follow up calls to people who emailed me this morning. Didnt' take too long at all. Spending the afternoon doing research on people I'll be calling next week. I know they were interested in X product and that they bought it for roughly Z cost. I'm trying to find out how much lower we could price the product so we make money but that it is less than the Z cost they spent prior.

I don't do this all the time. Our business cycle kind of though promotes it to be done at this time of year. I'm doing sales, other engineers are doing smaller engineer work. I'm trying to find the "big fish" so to speak.....for instance last year we retrofitted a hydroelectric dam. Once that is hooked, my job duties will be more inline with assembling together things for that big job, and then going on site and installing it. Then rinse and repeat.

Just for example, we won a bid on the job I mentioned above in March or April of last year. From January til then, I was mostly doing sales calls. From then, until September, I was assembling together the individual pieces and parts and doing graphics/simple logic. From September til end of October I was out of town deconstructing and reinstalling. Minor sales calls and other small jobs to finish up the year. We really do strive though to hit that big fish every year and devote lots of resources usually to one giant job.

It's a decent job, especially since I don't have a proper secondary education. Lots of opportunities and good experience. My end goal is to parlay the Computer Science or IST degree (I have 60 credits of gen ed, just unsure of where I which path to pursue) in conjunction with the work I'm doing now to apply to a tech/control industry out west.

I also wouldn't be against parlaying it into a full time field service position at some other company that would enable me to travel more often. I'm only 24, so I do have (hopefully) lots of life to live. But I have been relatively "culture sheltered" so I wouldn't mind traveling the world and seeing some stuff while working. When I was on site, lots of the older guys were telling me that I should pursue something more field service, that when you're young like me, that it's the best time, because no one wants to do that shit when they get older :lol: I had a kick spending 2 months in West Virginia of all places just because it was something new and fresh and got to see some different stuff and experience some different people.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
High school drop out here (kids stay in school the real world sux!) & I have worked for a fortune 100 company in various roles over the last decade+. I am currently a senior pricing analyst & was poached from another division 3 years ago. Previously I was a national account director & get asked at least once a week when I am "coming home" by various sales teams I work with.

Most of my work involves high level sales & strategy advisement on contract lifecycle profitability & flagging commercial risks to the executive team for approval. This involves large scale tenders over $1M in value although to relax I will take a small one in the $500k region as whilst the work is often the same the pressure is completely different.

I was in a debrief for a $25m tender lost because my advice was overruled & it was one of the ugliest scenes of schoolyard bullying I have ever seen in the workplace. Once a week/fortnight I have to present my findings in what everyone calls "tribal council" & it is not unusual to see people physically sick before these meetings. I have seen careers ruined in the boardroom when people get out of their depth on things they don't quite understand.

I on the other hand swagger in with a cup of coffee & am unafraid of aggressively challenging anyone in the room if they are talking bullshit. I have my laptop for a reason & that has multiple scenarios I prepare in anticipation of being challenged by an executive. You may be the VP of finance or operations or sales, I don't give a fuck as I deal with commercial facts not personalities & will directly challenge you in front of your peers.

It genuinely scares me when I see multi million $ decisions approved when every measurable variable indicates you will lose money over the contract & should back away. I have seen $20M contracts lost because of ego/pride getting in the way. I may not be book smart but I am street smart & reasonably capable.

At my company there is an award for the top non sales associate & I have taken it out 2 of the last 3 years with a runner up to a woman I hold in the highest of regard & the award has been around for only 3 years. That is probably the clearest indicator of my value as that award is decided by a 1, 2, 3 nomination by all 50+ managers & my team has been at war with sales for the last 4 years with serious bad blood. The kind of bad blood that cuts a good mates salary by $25k on last year based on my teams creative ways to reduce commission payments.

I am very good at my job but am feeling extremely burnt out & unengaged right now. I quite like my job as I am a highly respected at all levels & as I work in "black ops" I pretty much do what I want so long as I deliver. I am kind of stuck at that mid 30's crossroad where I need to look at what I am doing as I earn a reasonable salary but have a soulless job. I have no real education & have no idea on what I would study for a career change or even what the fuck I want to do.

I may look to see if there are any interesting positions going in Europe or the US this year as that may keep me interested but I feel like I contribute nothing of value to the planet in my job just a corporate's profit targets :|.

hinglemccringleberry

This is something I've always wondered about since there are many jobs that drug test, not just once during the hiring process, but as an ongoing practice. Additionally there are those jobs that dont test ongoingly, but will if you're involved in any sort of accident, even if the accident wasn't your fault. And I take it no one here works for the government, lol.
So what jobs do you have that allow you to not only have a body loaded with cannabanoids, but also dose 10 times a day like some here do? :lol:

I'll start it off - I work for a small publishing business. I'm considering looking for a 2nd job but my love for cannabis is going to limit my options in my area. Either that or I can just quit and start vaping peppermint :\
Recreational just became legal here in California this past November (Prop 64) and that makes me wonder if more companies who maybe previously didn't test are now going to step up their testing game in response to Prop 64 :/

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Software architect and developer. (I shudder to think the quality of developers somewhere would get if they tested for cannabis!!! eliminate a lot of potential candidates!)

Baron23

I just retired after over 35 years in the telecom infrastructure business as a project manager and strategic customer program manager.

Part of it was working on contract for Federal Govt and those contractors had to test employees by both company policy and by Fed Govt regulation, I believe.

I hated it, deeply resented the intrusion into my personal affairs, and got out of Government contracting as fast as I could and back to the commercial world. While I have held security clearances in the past, I intentionally NOT pursue many work opportunities requiring a high level clearance because, even though the pay was spectacular, I will not subject my private life to Government scrutiny every again. Fuck em'.

Still, my job was such that there was no possibility of my being at all intoxicated in any way. The pace was incredibly fast and I needed to be as nimble and sharp on my feet as possible. By the end of the day I was in quite a bit of pain but would still try to hold off until close to bed time. Even now retired I really don't get baked much during the day as I seem to still have LOTS that must be done and MJ always makes me very lazy if not comatose. LOL

Top Bottom