• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

What's your favorite torch or lighter to use with the Vapcap?

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I have been on my quest for the “perfect VC torch,” which seems to be a rite of passage for new VC owners.
I have a double flame (first one) and another triple flame (second one) on the way.

But I just wanted to voice my frustration with the lighter market as a whole. (Which is probably off topic, but didn’t want to start a new thread).
WTF is up with the lack of details from all of these guys?

Even on the manufacturers’ websites, not one of them (that I could see) gives you a measurement of the tank capacity. How is anyone supposed to know if one holds more butane than another? I guess you can go by the measurement of the actual lighter, but that can be very deceiving based on shape and build of each lighter.

Also, they rarely show pictures of the flame adjuster. Often they say “easy flame adjustment” but upon closer inspection on the few that do have pics, many of those “easy” adjustments require a screwdriver. To me, that does not qualify as “easy.” Since an easy flame adjuster is very important to me, my rule has become, if I can’t see the adjuster clearly in the pic, don’t bother.

Most don’t specify whether the lid auto opens and/or closes.

And many sites show only one picture from one angle, which makes shopping for a new torch a guessing game. (Which is why threads like this are so helpful!)

I could go on and on but I think I vented enough to get it out of my system.
Phew! That helps! :rant:

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
A triple flame Vector Urbano is my new dress torch. Great for the Vapcap and Sticky Brick lineup. Wasn't fond of the rose gold at first, the performance trumped the look. But the color is growing on me and may age to look steam punkish. :zombie:
Love how quiet the igniter is and can be dialed down fairly low and it still light each time. Big window to see remaining fluid plus fold out cigar thingy.

4KCxeZf.jpg

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I've been preferring this $15 Mantello to my Vertigo or Jobon triple torches. The chunky size of the Jobon is nice and the huge dial on the bottom is the easiest adjustment option of the three.

The top opens and closes automatically for the Mantello and it's quiet. My favorite thing is that it seems to heat more evenly or something. Maybe I should just say I prefer the performance of my Omnivap XL paired with the Mantello to my two other torches. No level indicator. Hasn't broken. Yet.

Mantello Catador Triple Jet Torch Lighter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6C8F34/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_b4TdBbM1ABK7X

bossman,
Reactions: Jill NYC

vapeanderson

Is there a consensus on most reliable triple flame torch? I may be in the market for a new one soon. Old Vertigo triple inline flame often gets sputtery.

vapeanderson,
Reactions: SloJimFizz
A triple flame Vector Urbano is my new dress torch. Great for the Vapcap and Sticky Brick lineup. Wasn't fond of the rose gold at first, the performance trumped the look. But the color is growing on me and may age to look steam punkish. :zombie:
Love how quiet the igniter is and can be dialed down fairly low and it still light each time. Big window to see remaining fluid plus fold out cigar thingy.

4KCxeZf.jpg
Vector is the best brand I have found. I have a vector lighter and also a torch. The torch was not purchased with the vapcap in mind but works very well. I'm a big fan of vector quality! Very civilized products.

BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious

I’ve used them a few times and have always had a good experience. Great customer service. I picked up my fancy lighter, a Xikar Executive II from them for $18 during a sale and chat with the CSR. They have sales during all the major holidays, including 4/20.

I use single torches for all my butane vapes, I like the cheap Eagle torches from eBay for my OmniVap.

Tronzo669

This thread is way easier to follow than the main DV thread:lol::lol::lol::lol: saw a link while trying to catch up over there and though i'd throw in my :2c:

After having my 2018 m for just over a month, i have amassed a decent collection of 3 torches for my varied needs.

The first torch i bought was the vertigo zplus dual flame Which was a great starter torch. having the 2 flames angle into each other allows me to get as precise as a single flame, but it shortens the heat up time a little bit, and helped me develop my spinning technique since the flared out base of the flames provides an easier visual reference for where you need to hold the flame. The main drawback is the tank size. I usually do about 4-5 heat cycles on a bowl and with the zplus im lucky if i can get through 3 or 4 bowls on one fill. I still love it just for the zippo form factor so i often bring it as a backup in my jeans change pocket or just in situations where i don't want to be carrying one of the more "alien ray gun" like designs that most torches seem to have... which brings me to my next torch...
The Vertigo cyclone. I have the version1 with the sort of ribbed body rather than the v2 that DV carries on their site. Honestly thought i would be refilling this thing after every bowl just because i've never had a triple flame... anything before :p so i assumed it would just eat gas like nothing. But honestly i get at least double the tank life of my zplus with he cyclone and haven't had any clogging or any weird things, as someone here posted earlier though, i do notice i need to crank the flame up quite a bit when the tank starts getting low. I mainly got the cyclone to use outside since the heat up time was close to doubled on my zplus when trying to vape outside at work in a slightly windy environment. It definitely delivered in this department. I've heard people say that triple flames tend to cook more the outside of the bowl and sometimes stirring is necessary to even things out, but this hasn't been my experience, i just adopted a slightly faster spinning technique when using the triple and i still seem to get the same amount of cycles per bowl without any combustion or charring.

My most recent addition is an 8 dollar single flame torch that my gf found in a random convenient store near her place. i dont have it on me right now but i think the brand is pro-lite or pro flame, something like that. Anyway it looks kind of similiar to the honest torches except its a single action ignition (no cap to remove or flip up it just raises as you depress the fire button). Although it's a little awkward as a pocket torch, this thing has been my go to single flame. The tank lasts me easily a week between fills and the angled portion where the flame comes out makes holding it against the vapcap much easier and more ergonomic. This little single is what i use most of the time when capping at home or other indoor locations and it's been great.

My favorite though, has been a combo of the single flame and my cyclone.... allow me to explain :D. This is a system i've been using to really get FULL extraction in a minimal amount of time when vaping indoors at home. I start my first heat cycle with my single flame torch low on the cap to get a nice solid extraction base going throughout the chamber. Immediately after the cooldown click i hit it with my cyclone. The second hit is a beast, after that i let my vapcap cooldown for a minute or so and then repeat the same process about 2 more times (obviously results will vary depending on setup/ herb used). Im using an '18 M fully stock, and after doing the above process the abv i get is extremely dark and earthy with 0 charring or ash.This process takes about 7 minutes in total, but takes me from 0 to space in about half that time:p:ko::brow::lol:

I am STILL waiting on 2 aomai torches i ordered over a month ago from dhgate, really excited to just have a torch that lights with a flint. After finding them on dhgate for about 7 bucks a piece i was surprised to find the same lighter on amazon for 30 bucks :o:o but then i remembered that dhgate ships from china:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:amazon wouldve gotten it to me in 2 days, this is looking more like 2 months, but at least i ordered 2 lighters :lol::lol::lol:
EDIT: thought I would try my hand at posting some pictures on here to show my single flame torch if any of you come across it, it's a good one and very cheap

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Z-Plus 2 (Dual Torch)
I used to love my Z-Plus single, right up to when the 5th one shit itself (always the igniter) when camping and left me botting a light for the weekend. :disgust:
I hope you have better luck, :tup:.

LesPlenty,

Tronzo669

I used to love my Z-Plus single, right up to when the 5th one shit itself (always the igniter) when camping and left me botting a light for the weekend. :disgust:
I hope you have better luck, :tup:.
Funny you mention the igniter, my zplus was a total PITA for the first day or 2 I had it, would barely light unless I had the flame almost at full, even though my tank was full and I could still see a spark coming off the igniter. I was pretty pissed since I had just paid about 25 bucks Canadian to order the damn thing, but I was determined to see if I could get it working.
Found a few videos recommending bleeding the tank as the main fix for most torch lighter issues but it didn't seem to make a difference. Then I found a video where this guy goes super in-depth on everything that you can fix without just buying a new lighter. at one point he mentions the position of the igniter.apparently just moving the igniter a tiny bit can make a big difference in performance, some lighters being sensitive enough that less than 1mm of movement would make the difference. So figuring I had nothing to lose, I grabbed a small screwdriver and just gently pryed the igniter up a hair. I also nudged it a little to sit more centrally between the 2 gas valves. After that I haven't had a single missfire on my zplus. I guess if your igniter was just completely dying and not making any sparks this wouldn't help, but still a helpful tips for any lighter.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I had fine tuned all of them, problem was the clicker stopped clicking with no resistance in the button any more, in other words rooted(this was back in my combustion days so it got a lot of use). I have said it before that hopefully the newer ones are better, I gave up on them a couple years back so they may have got better since then. I went on to the Zippo Blue after that as it had a lifetime fix or replace warranty (I ended up selling it as it was rather large, wish I had kept it for the Vapcap now)

LesPlenty,

Tronzo669

I had fine tuned all of them, problem was the clicker stopped clicking with no resistance in the button any more, in other words rooted(this was back in my combustion days so it got a lot of use). I have said it before that hopefully the newer ones are better, I gave up on them a couple years back so they may have got better since then. I went on to the Zippo Blue after that as it had a lifetime fix or replace warranty (I ended up selling it as it was rather large, wish I had kept it for the Vapcap now)
I guess either they have improved or I just got lucky for now :p also I wonder if it might've been a different manufacturer that made your z plus single? I have seen a few different single flame zippo inserts from a bunch of different brands but only the duals seem to be vertigo, at least in the stores where I'm looking.

Tronzo669,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I think there are 3 different manufacturers of the zippo insert, the ones I had were Z-plus branded, I also used them a lot, at least 40 clicks per day, sometimes more, a lot more if I had damp weed..
How many years(or months) has your Z-plus actually lasted?

Last edited:
LesPlenty,

wkndwarrior

Oh - good to know on the Z-plus 2. I had only been using mine about once a week so I will watch out for it. There is something about me that is self conscious about some of the more crazy looking torches. Like if I pull it out in front of a friend they are going to look at it like a cr@ck pipe. Will watch out for issues.

wkndwarrior,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Duba81

I've been buying and trying quite a few torches the last few months, as they seem to be the biggest variable when it comes to the overall dynavap experience. I've bought at least a dozen different ones over the last few months, including 2 different dual flame zippo inserts, in all different flame configurations. My overall favorites at this point are Zico. They are fairly cheap, and seem much more well made from a fit and finish standpoint. I've got 3 different ones right now, and they all light first time every time. Some of them are all metal and very heavy and well made. My favorite thing about them though is that although they are a singlr flame, it's significantly wider and more powerful then my other 5 or 6 single flame torches. They seem to give the best mix of precision so you can heat the cap where you want and speed. It heats like a dual flame torch with much more precision. The only downside to them is that they tend to be pretty large. Since I use my M at home most of the time, it's not an issue for me. I do think that this brand will be the one I stick with going forward. If you guys want any insight on some of the others that I picked up let me know. I was thinking about doing an in depth review with pics on all of them if anyone is interested, as torches in general seem to be the source of most of the frustration I hear about with butane powered vapes. I haven't personally experienced any issues with any of these torches that can't be fixed by using good butane, purging and burping as needed, and tweaking the little wire to be a bit closer to the burners if you aren't getting them lit every time. Moving that little wire has instantly fixed the few that I was having minor issues with.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I was thinking about doing an in depth review with pics on all of them if anyone is interested
Very interested, I think we are all still looking at different torches, not just the best either as it is good to know what to avoid as well.

Duba81

Very interested, I think we are all still looking at different torches, not just the best either as it is good to know what to avoid as well.
Excellent. I will work on getting something put together over the weekend when I have a bit of time to sit down and get it done

Phenix

Great, man! A comprehensive list (comparison had be even nicer) had be really helpful.

Phenix,

Tronzo669

How many years(or months) has your Z-plus actually lasted?
Not years haha, i actually only got it about 1 month and a half-2 months ago when i got my first (and currently only) vapcap, my beloved 18 m. I have used torch lighters before but i've never spent more than like 10 bucks on one before the vapcap... now im seriously considering saving up for an st dupont and a titanium omnivap after seeing @Quint 's recent post about his dupont lighter.
My lighter has z plus branding on the actual insert but the zippo case says vertigo and it did come in the same fake carbon fiber looking pouch that my cyclone came in. this one is the dual flame where the flames are angled in toward each other.

There is something about me that is self conscious about some of the more crazy looking torches. Like if I pull it out in front of a friend they are going to look at it like a cr@ck pipe.
I totally feel you on this, that's the main reason i kept the zplus after considering selling it. it just adds to the overall stealth factor having a lighter that looks like an actual lighter. When i'm at work or just generally outside by myself i always bring my cyclone, but any situation where im going to interact with other humans and show them the VC for possibly the first time, i bring the zplus along. also, with a full tank in the zplus it is a great little backup to just pop in your jeans pocket just in case something goes haywire on another lighter. I found this on the lotus/vertigo site and it definitely peaked my interest :

they market it as a table lighter though so my instant thought is that its quite a bit bigger than a normal zippo, the measurements don't seem too unwieldy though, sadly i cant find any shops carrying it so far.

Newcastle

Stoned!
Okay so my lazy ass finally picked up some butane!....Been out for a few days. I got a can of BLINK 5X but you have to choose a fitting that snaps out of the lid. There is a choise of 5 different tips. I think I have the right one but it makes a mess and butane goes every where....but hey I don't care......I have Dynavaps glowing again!

Top Bottom