1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite torch or lighter to use with the Vapcap?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by Mr. Me2, Dec 10, 2016.

1. bossman

bossman Well-Known Member

I have a Mantello triple torch that I tried for the first time tonight (it looks like a Scorchtorch if you know that model. Unlike my Jobin triples it doesn't display the butane level but I was just using leftovers in my Dynastash and the same size load in my Omni seemed more effective.

Does the Dynastash help dry your herb maybe? Do some triple torches just heat more evenly fit better extraction? I'll have to try the same shit with my Jobon torch now to see what's up.

2. LesPlenty

LesPlenty Well-Known Member

I find different configuration lighters give quit different results, experimenting is the key. So now I have VAS,GAS and what do we call torch/lighter collecting....TAS or LAS? I come from Tasmania so I will call it TAS.

Helios, Summer, Phenix and 4 others like this.
  3. Phenix

Phenix Well-Known Member

= you mean a empty wallet ;)

Summer, Jill NYC, cybrguy and 3 others like this.
  4. Jill NYC

Jill NYC Portable Collector

Anyone use these guys?
    https://www.lighterusa.com/
    They seem to have a good selection in lots of price points. And free US shipping. And easier to browse than lightersdirect.com.
    Excuse my over abundant use of the word “And”.

bossman, Squiby and Ozyzj like this.
  5. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

They have a lot of variety, but some of their prices are high. $12.95 for a lighter I got from Amazon for $9, for example.

Squiby and bossman like this.
  6. Jill NYC

I like my Vertigo Cyclone lighters except they need to be refilled a lot. And a lot of fuel isn’t used before it won’t light anymore. In My pic below, it’s hard to see the leftover butane so I pointed at it. Anyone have any suggestions how to use more of it? Otherwise, I end up pouring it down the drain and it leaks all over my hands while doing it. I must be doing something (many things) wrong.
    [​IMG]

steama, Hogni, bossman and 2 others like this.
  7. asdf420

asdf420 Well-Known Member

Jill NYC likes this.
  8. VaporWare

VaporWare Well-Known Member

There should be a dial or a screw you can use to adjust the amount of butane coming. It’s usually on the bottom near where you refill it, probably with + and - symbols next to it.

That’s the most likely cause of the issue I think. Otherwise, maybe low quality butane?

Try to run it out before refilling, and apply firm and even pressure when refilling. Holding it upside down and pressing with a small screwdriver or something similar in the hole you use to fill it also releases other gasses which might help.

Jill NYC likes this.
  9. Jill NYC

Thanks @asdf420
    Unfortunately, I live in an apartment building where it’s really not conducive to empty the lighter outside.
    But I will definitely try holding it at an angle and see if that helps.

Edit:
    Thanks @VaporWare . I am using Colibri butane, so that isn’t issue. But turning the dial all the way up did help a little! There is still butane in there, but a little less than before.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    asdf420 likes this.
  10. bossman

@Jill NYC I think you're already doing a better job than me if that's any consolation: my first Vertigo torch stopped lighting before it was even down to a third of the butane it came filled with and I assumed it was broken and moved on.

One rudimentary tip I learned was to bleed the propellant out with the lighter upside-down. Maybe you have too much compressed air in there and it's fucking up the lighter?

I've only had torches since I got my first Vapcap last fall so take all this noob advice for what little it's worth

Jill NYC likes this.
  11. bizwaxzion

bizwaxzion Enigmatic Cannabist

Mine need to be bled completely every other filling. I've been using the same pair for almost a year now. Initial dial setting is good for 2/3 of the tank, then I have to start increasing gradually until it finally won't stay lit. There will still be a bit of butane left that has to be vented - either via partial trigger or valve depression. I can get by with one refill without completely emptying, but a second attempt usually yields poor performance.

Jill NYC likes this.
  12. VaporWare

I was in a hurry and I may not have explained bleeding the propellant (which pushes the butane into the torch but also gets in with it) very well, but that’s the other thing I know of that might help.

I’m pretty new to butane lighters too, but I’m getting better. At least I don’t *usually* get a lot of spray on my hands anymore. ;)

steama and Jill NYC like this.
  13. Alexis

Alexis Peace keeper, fun maker and 3/4 time vaporist.

I just recently received my 4/20 Dynavap Vertigo Cyclone Triple torches.
    It functions very well. Better buikt than the inline triple. A good bit easier to ignite as well.

And adjusting the flame couldnt be any easier- you just turn the bottom left or right. No fiddly little lever to pull up which is so loose it is like turning a blind- taking up the slack. Then whoops too far, back the other way again, with fine increment adjustments more tricky.

The Cyclone is DEFINITELY much more windproof than the inline triple and previous $15 quad torch Dynavap used to sell. It is the most wind resistant torch I have tried yet.

But there has been a learning curve to get that technique right. I had it perfect every time with the Quad for 3 or 4 heat cycles per bowl, with usually 3 equal but perfect size and smoothness "big" hits from a full bowl.

Never combusting, rarely getting ghost or unsatisfying hits. I was able to always go a half second or more past the click to whenever I wanted to make sure I got a decent hit, with little risk of combustion.

Anyway, off the bat I just couldnt get the same hits with the Cyclone. Going to the click the hits were weak. Going just past it, looking for that line...I must have combusted 5 or 6 times with it.

Last night I got much better results. Basically by holding the tip much higher above the flame, like a full cm plus above the inner blue flames, so that the flame narrows and can be focussed on the bottom of the cap. I got those spanking milky hits again consistently this way.

With the quad, I was practically rolling the cap on top of the inner blue flames. With the Cyclone this causes an earlier click and wispy hit, but going past click always gave harsher vapor or combustion.

So keeping the tip higher in the narrower converged flame, aimed at lower half, seems to be the trick.

Tronzo669, Mulchmaker, steama and 2 others like this.
  14. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

I seem to have better luck than you guys with these lighters. They DO stop working well before they run out of butane, but refilling them does the trick and brings them back to working well.

I DO bleed out air or propellant every time I fill them. Turned upside down the air goes to the top (lighter than butane) and burps out pretty well. I DO hold them steady (lighter butt up and butane can tip down) for 20 or 30 seconds before filling, and it is always good to stop about halfway and bleed air before continuing to fill. I also close the filling valve before filling and open it again after. I don't know if this helps but it is a habit I picked up from recommendations.

I would say I refill when about a third is left on these. I have some torches that can go all the way to near empty before they start to fail, but not these guys. But they do work well past about 1/3 full.

If a more full torch starts to misbehave, burping it usually works. The only time I fully empty them and bleed all the butane is if they are misbehaving when more than a third full.

BTW, I find that a lot of butane torches work way better when more than 1/3 full. Not just these guys. I nearly always refill them before reaching this point.

15. VaporWare

In my limited experience with the Poseidon triple torch, while it consumes fuel faster than I’d like it seems to keep going until it’s about empty, which does help to keep me from spraying it all over my hands when refilling. I think it’s my favorite overall right now, but I’ve only tried 3 so far.

I’ve taken the Z-Plus out a little too, but I haven’t run through a whole tank with it yet. I like the form factor, and have always thought that Zippos were fun, so I’ll reserve judgement on it for a while.

For now, on the plus side it’s not one most people would notice or question, on the minus it has to be removed from its tight case to fill or even to adjust the flow (which requires a screwdriver or something rather than being a simple dial). Still, I expect to keep using it at least some of the time.

I also dug up an old single flame torch I’ve had in a drawer for many years and refilled it (surprisingly it still had some butane in it, but it was low). It’s not as powerful, and if you open it up too wide it can leak a lot of butane after you let the button go, but it looks like a dragon so I have to give it a shot... ;)

16. Jill NYC

I have been on my quest for the “perfect VC torch,” which seems to be a rite of passage for new VC owners.
    I have a double flame (first one) and another triple flame (second one) on the way.

But I just wanted to voice my frustration with the lighter market as a whole. (Which is probably off topic, but didn’t want to start a new thread).
    WTF is up with the lack of details from all of these guys?

Even on the manufacturers’ websites, not one of them (that I could see) gives you a measurement of the tank capacity. How is anyone supposed to know if one holds more butane than another? I guess you can go by the measurement of the actual lighter, but that can be very deceiving based on shape and build of each lighter.

Also, they rarely show pictures of the flame adjuster. Often they say “easy flame adjustment” but upon closer inspection on the few that do have pics, many of those “easy” adjustments require a screwdriver. To me, that does not qualify as “easy.” Since an easy flame adjuster is very important to me, my rule has become, if I can’t see the adjuster clearly in the pic, don’t bother.

Most don’t specify whether the lid auto opens and/or closes.

And many sites show only one picture from one angle, which makes shopping for a new torch a guessing game. (Which is why threads like this are so helpful!)

I could go on and on but I think I vented enough to get it out of my system.
    Phew! That helps! :rant:

17. steama

steama slightly stoopid

Many people do not realize that many butane lighters are made from the same internal parts. Just because a lighter may be more expensive or made with a nicer outer package does not necessarily mean it is any better than a cheaper lighter.

Most of these lighters are pretty much the same with small differences here and there. Maybe this is why lighter manufacturers don't provide much information.

:2c:

18. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Good summary of mostly missed infos but list could be longer

steama, Hippie and Jill NYC like this.
  19. steama

steama slightly stoopid

You do not need to purge the remaining butane unless you are having problems. All you really need to do most of the time is simply release a little pressure before you fill.

Here is a video from George of dynavap. Since I watched this video I never purge my lighters and they work just peachy.

How to fill a butane lighter

Click to play YouTube Video

:myday:

20. SloJimFizz

SloJimFizz Unknown Member

A triple flame Vector Urbano is my new dress torch. Great for the Vapcap and Sticky Brick lineup. Wasn't fond of the rose gold at first, the performance trumped the look. But the color is growing on me and may age to look steam punkish. :zombie:
    Love how quiet the igniter is and can be dialed down fairly low and it still light each time. Big window to see remaining fluid plus fold out cigar thingy.

[​IMG]

21. bossman

I've been preferring this $15 Mantello to my Vertigo or Jobon triple torches. The chunky size of the Jobon is nice and the huge dial on the bottom is the easiest adjustment option of the three.

The top opens and closes automatically for the Mantello and it's quiet. My favorite thing is that it seems to heat more evenly or something. Maybe I should just say I prefer the performance of my Omnivap XL paired with the Mantello to my two other torches. No level indicator. Hasn't broken. Yet.

Mantello Catador Triple Jet Torch Lighter
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6C8F34/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_b4TdBbM1ABK7X

Jill NYC likes this.
  22. vapeanderson

vapeanderson Well-Known Member

Is there a consensus on most reliable triple flame torch? I may be in the market for a new one soon. Old Vertigo triple inline flame often gets sputtery.

SloJimFizz likes this.
  23. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

Vector is the best brand I have found. I have a vector lighter and also a torch. The torch was not purchased with the vapcap in mind but works very well. I'm a big fan of vector quality! Very civilized products.

Evilevile and SloJimFizz like this.
  24. BT Bean

BT Bean Bredda Gravalicious

I’ve used them a few times and have always had a good experience. Great customer service. I picked up my fancy lighter, a Xikar Executive II from them for $18 during a sale and chat with the CSR. They have sales during all the major holidays, including 4/20.

I use single torches for all my butane vapes, I like the cheap Eagle torches from eBay for my OmniVap.

Jill NYC and Phenix like this.
  25. Tronzo669

Tronzo669 Member

This thread is way easier to follow than the main DV thread:lol::lol::lol::lol: saw a link while trying to catch up over there and though i'd throw in my :2c:

After having my 2018 m for just over a month, i have amassed a decent collection of 3 torches for my varied needs.

The first torch i bought was the vertigo zplus dual flame Which was a great starter torch. having the 2 flames angle into each other allows me to get as precise as a single flame, but it shortens the heat up time a little bit, and helped me develop my spinning technique since the flared out base of the flames provides an easier visual reference for where you need to hold the flame. The main drawback is the tank size. I usually do about 4-5 heat cycles on a bowl and with the zplus im lucky if i can get through 3 or 4 bowls on one fill. I still love it just for the zippo form factor so i often bring it as a backup in my jeans change pocket or just in situations where i don't want to be carrying one of the more "alien ray gun" like designs that most torches seem to have... which brings me to my next torch...
    The Vertigo cyclone. I have the version1 with the sort of ribbed body rather than the v2 that DV carries on their site. Honestly thought i would be refilling this thing after every bowl just because i've never had a triple flame... anything before :p so i assumed it would just eat gas like nothing. But honestly i get at least double the tank life of my zplus with he cyclone and haven't had any clogging or any weird things, as someone here posted earlier though, i do notice i need to crank the flame up quite a bit when the tank starts getting low. I mainly got the cyclone to use outside since the heat up time was close to doubled on my zplus when trying to vape outside at work in a slightly windy environment. It definitely delivered in this department. I've heard people say that triple flames tend to cook more the outside of the bowl and sometimes stirring is necessary to even things out, but this hasn't been my experience, i just adopted a slightly faster spinning technique when using the triple and i still seem to get the same amount of cycles per bowl without any combustion or charring.

My most recent addition is an 8 dollar single flame torch that my gf found in a random convenient store near her place. i dont have it on me right now but i think the brand is pro-lite or pro flame, something like that. Anyway it looks kind of similiar to the honest torches except its a single action ignition (no cap to remove or flip up it just raises as you depress the fire button). Although it's a little awkward as a pocket torch, this thing has been my go to single flame. The tank lasts me easily a week between fills and the angled portion where the flame comes out makes holding it against the vapcap much easier and more ergonomic. This little single is what i use most of the time when capping at home or other indoor locations and it's been great.

My favorite though, has been a combo of the single flame and my cyclone.... allow me to explain :D. This is a system i've been using to really get FULL extraction in a minimal amount of time when vaping indoors at home. I start my first heat cycle with my single flame torch low on the cap to get a nice solid extraction base going throughout the chamber. Immediately after the cooldown click i hit it with my cyclone. The second hit is a beast, after that i let my vapcap cooldown for a minute or so and then repeat the same process about 2 more times (obviously results will vary depending on setup/ herb used). Im using an '18 M fully stock, and after doing the above process the abv i get is extremely dark and earthy with 0 charring or ash.This process takes about 7 minutes in total, but takes me from 0 to space in about half that time:p:ko::brow::lol:

I am STILL waiting on 2 aomai torches i ordered over a month ago from dhgate, really excited to just have a torch that lights with a flint. After finding them on dhgate for about 7 bucks a piece i was surprised to find the same lighter on amazon for 30 bucks :o:o but then i remembered that dhgate ships from china:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:amazon wouldve gotten it to me in 2 days, this is looking more like 2 months, but at least i ordered 2 lighters :lol::lol::lol:
    EDIT: thought I would try my hand at posting some pictures on here to show my single flame torch if any of you come across it, it's a good one and very cheap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors