1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite torch or lighter to use with the Vapcap?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by Mr. Me2, Dec 10, 2016.

1. LesPlenty

LesPlenty Well-Known Member

I used one of these torch lighters a couple years ago, igniter did not last very long, so get a couple as they are dirt cheap.

2. bossman

bossman Well-Known Member

My Vertigo like this just broke with half its original butane left.

3. Ramahs

Ramahs Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

Sounds like you need another one. You might have gotten a defective one.

bossman likes this.
  4. steama

steama slightly stoopid

I have posted a couple of other times in this thread because I keep improving on my torch. Here is 'by far' the best torch I use with my vapcap; the JOBON High-Capacity Windproof Triple Jet Torch

[​IMG]

It has everything you need, a HUGE clear high capacity fuel tank, super easy adjustment (the easiest), and it's cheap for how sturdy these are. I got my three for $6.66 a piece ($20) or you can pick up one for $9. It is hard to beat a deal this good.

:myday:

5. ander

ander Well-Known Member

Do you think this one (located in China) is the bad copy of @steama one (located in US), and here's the reason for the even lower price? It has no logo, but apart from that I can't see differences from the pictures I can compare... Starting from the fact that chinese industry rules in this field (and I'm not saying it's bad, they simply rule. "Designed in whateverplaceoftheworld" and "Assembled in China"), this is something I always think about when searching for electronic gadgets and such: if I pay it double I am paying for the original quality? Or at contrary, when I get the best price I am getting the fake one... or I'm making the deal..? How many quality levels for components are out there to produce, apparently, the same thing?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  6. Hackerman

Hackerman The Fool

I just got 3 new lighters in today's mail. :)

I would recommend against the 2 Eagle models I bought. One is the table top model and the other is the pen model. Both work well and have nice large tanks but the "lock" button does not lock the flame ON. It just locks the trigger so the trigger can not be pressed. Simply a safety feature. Bummer.

The other is Aomai table top model with dual or single flame (selectable). I do like this one so far but this is my first dual flame lighter and I am noticing that I don't get as good a hit with the dual flame lighter. It does heat up faster but (and, maybe that's the reason) I definitely get better hits from using the single flame than I do using the dual flame.

Eagle tabletop https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Torc...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Eagle Pen torch https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-E...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Aomai (albeit, this one's appearance may not appeal to everyone). https://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Fla...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

7. Used2use

Used2use Sometimes to stupid to become a fool

@ander - here is the same even cheaper on ebay ;) and i second @steama a good quality triple for that price, in comparison to the hongjing triple cheapo definitive worth the 1,50€ more :nod:.

ander and steama like this.
  8. Phenix

Phenix Well-Known Member

steama likes this.
  9. bossman

@Used2use how long have you owned that Jobon? My last purchase was a three pack of the Vertigo triple torch lighters and they break after not much use.

It's strange to me that there aren't good options to spend a bit more for a quality triple torch, double triple or whatever. Searching Amazon and eBay yields nothing but cheap junky lighters and any reviews online are just monetized click lists for the same ones.

Wish I'd gotten on the @Pipes induction heater back in December when I first learned about it.

ander likes this.
  10. Phenix

Phenix Well-Known Member

lol, double triple jet lighters.. thats something with serious butane waste :D
    I never saw one tough!

bossman likes this.
  11. bossman

Double triple single ftw

12. Phenix

Phenix Well-Known Member

Double Triple Quadruple jet lighter ftw.
    See were this is going?

serious question: is there a study behind heat-delvery:flame count + nozzle size !?

13. bossman

I'm surprised to hear folks devoted to single flame torch lighters. I have some and they take too long for my liking. Like doing my best to heat evenly and my finger is getting tired and I start wondering if I missed the click. Of course triples are louder so even more risk of not hearing. I had to cut my VapCap session short last night when my last Vertigo broke.

14. Ramahs

http://www.lightersdirect.com/

bossman likes this.
  15. Used2use

Used2use Sometimes to stupid to become a fool

@bossman i bought 2 of them from 2 different vendors maybe 6month ago during a serious TAS attack :lol:
    I bought almost every decent looking lighter under 4€ on ebay :rolleyes: - so to be honest the usage has been spread out over a few (or more) torches, but one of those jobon triple gets decent usage sitting in my bicycle bag and holds up well so far.
    In my experience sometimes a different branding sticker on same looking torches can make a difference, but even the exact same looking and branded torches can be different quality/durability (guess different factorys/charges) - so ordering from different vendors is a good idea.

As i've got a good overview over different torches now - the most important feature to me is how easy the flame size can be adjusted, and this is most convenient/precise if the whole bottom part can be turned imo. Just like at the Jobon triple - there is also a decent single torch from jobon that adjusts the same way...

Phenix and bossman like this.
  16. bossman

@Used2use ordered 'em. Thanks for the tip and the extra clarification.

17. mccringleberry

mccringleberry Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing the Vertigo Stealth Antique triple flame. Runs @ $25 at lighterusa. Seems like it would be pretty high quality but at the same time IDK if I want to be the guinea pig.
    One thing that really irritates me is how it doesn't say if it's a V-pattern or inline. Literally the only way to find out is to order it and see for myself. The Photochopped image of the flames does no good, they use that same CG image for all triple flame lighters on that site, whether it's inline or not.
    [​IMG]

Helios and bossman like this.
  18. Ramahs

This pic should answer your question:
    (I prefer in-line, but they are harder to find)
    [​IMG]

almost there and mccringleberry like this.
  19. bossman

@mccringleberry be the guinea pig! I'll be the person who waits to hear the verdict. =P

20. Phenix

Phenix Well-Known Member

Is there a zippo style jet torch with site-mounted button?
    DuPont has some but I’m not fancy enough to spend that money..

analytika likes this.
  21. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

What do you mean with "site-mounted button"?

These are inserts of recommanded brands

Helios likes this.
  22. Phenix

Phenix Well-Known Member

Zippo=the shape
    Side-mount= Button on side of the lighter instead of right next to the nozzle

*sorry for the typo

analytika, LesPlenty and Hogni like this.
  23. Helios

Helios Well-Known Member

I prefer the Zippo style torches, I have been using a $10 double from a cigar shop 5 months now no issues, however I am interested in the Single Action Triple offered by vertigo seems easy to adjust the fuel and has a clear window through its jacket to see how much fuel is in tank. Has anyone tried using a flat flame torch?

24. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

How should this construction fit into the Zippo sleeve?

25. VanCough

VanCough Environmentalist

I wouldn’t recommend that one, the flint comes out like a little pokey (like on a clipper) but it’s held in place by a little oring.

Mine broke so it would always fall out, I purchased some others but they all broke as well.

Also the ignition wheel is so close to the flame that it gets ridiculously hot and after repeated prolonged heatings either becomes to hot to hold or will burn you.

Shame as it’s a nice lighter.

ander and RUDE BOY like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors