1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite torch or lighter to use with the Vapcap?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by Mr. Me2, Dec 10, 2016.

1. JetHead

JetHead Well-Known Member

Have zero complaints for the Xikar Tech Dual Flame. It's just under $40 but holds quite a bit of fuel (enough so that I don't have to refill every day). Bulky enough to not have to fumble around with it but small enough that it fits in pocket.

I had horrible luck with the cheap lighters even with good fuel.

Gets to click in 15 seconds or less in snowy/windy conditions and when cap is warmed up the third heat cycle takes less than 10 seconds. I highly recommend it.

www.amazon.com/XIKAR-Double-Torch-Lighter-Clear/dp/B009CBBUWK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1520942473&sr=1-4-fkmr0&keywords=xikar+tech+dual

MAbud, needalift and DeeCee5 like this.
  2. BabyFacedFinster

BabyFacedFinster Capo di tutt'i capi

I had a hell of a time with damn torches when on vacation recently. I flew to another state and didn't know if I would have access to any herb since I didn't bring it on the plane. I did bring a well cleaned vc along just in case. Broken down into parts, it looks like nothing scattered in a toiletry bag. But of course, no torch on the plane either.

So the story takes a real good turn when I manage to score some nice cannabis. I thank the cannabis gods for that one, trust me.

So now I have a vape and some weed. All I need now is a torch, but not so fast, I don't have the means of easily getting to a store that would sell torches.

So the first night I try heating the vc on a kitchen stove, but it's fucking electric ceramic so that was a waste of time. I find a regular Bic lighter and while you needed to keep wiping off the nasty soot build up on the cap, it got me through.

The next day I go in search of a torch. No stores selling torches. I find a gift shop that has these little flip top lighters that have a tiny little torch flame in them. 8 bucks later I'm back in the room trying that piece of shit out. The flame is so damn tiny that I can't even get a click on the vc. So back to the Bic lighter.

The next day I go searching again. This time I find a liquor store that has these tri torch units for another 8 bucks. Now I'm excited. I go back to the room and get about two good hits. On the third attempt, the fucker runs out of fuel. Back to the Bic lighter.

The next day I'm searching for a can of butane. Finally find a drug store that sells cans of tane. Unfortunately it the biggest fucking can of butane I have ever seen. I end up filling the torch twice and now at the end of the trip I got this enormous can of butane that I have to get rid of. But I'm afraid to just throw it in the garbage because I don't want someone to get hurt. It's a big fucking can of tane. I end up giving it to some dude on the street who was smoking a cigarette. I said, hey want a big can of butane? He said yeah, took the can and never asked any questions. I gave him the torch too.

The sad part was flushing several buds of nice quality weed down the toilet before leaving.

Next trip, I might try bringing a battery vape. Fucking torches.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Easywider, KidFated., pigfoot and 4 others like this.
  3. Used2use

Used2use Sometimes to stupid to become a fool

hm, many will probably suggest an IH but a simple candle or tealight works probably better than a bic in that case :2c:
    I never had any trouble with 2-3 torches on air travel so far (mostly EU)

needalift likes this.
  4. Newcastle

Newcastle Stoned!

I guess I better order a couple torches. I found my one torch being chewed on by my Aussie this morning! :doh: I am using a triple flame now. What would yall suggest?

needalift likes this.
  5. szai

szai Well-Known Member

A bunch of different ones to try and decide what style to pursue

However if you want a decision recommendation I'd say this one. The Xikar Allume Dual Torch Cigar Lighter - Ashton https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011AJ3SGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jqOQAbH67RJDK

This link is to some branded copy if the item that costs half the normal price. It's my favorite lighter you just have to be sure to fill fully and Purge and maybe order giottos rocket too. The rocket is this rubber air blower that's really useful for alot of things besides cleaning the Jets from time to time.

HughJundys and needalift like this.
  6. MyCollife

MyCollife Well-Known Member

I ordered a Lotus Cyclone Triple Torch Lighter. I'll post a report /review once I give it a go a few times.

needalift, cybrguy and Newcastle like this.
  7. Newcastle

Newcastle Stoned!

@MyCollife That is what I have now. I found the adjustment knob in Mishas mouth this morning. I was able to push it back on. I am still in business but see how that could change with only having one torch.

needalift likes this.
  8. szai

szai Well-Known Member

Yeah I usually have three or four torches on me these days.

The max I've used is three torches in one heat up. The first two ran out of butane and the third allowed me to finish the hit like normal.

Newcastle likes this.
  9. BabyFacedFinster

BabyFacedFinster Capo di tutt'i capi

When I use one at home, this one has lasted me the longest
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAES9TY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is no "good torch" in my estimation. There are made so cheaply in other countries that the quality control is shit. You could buy a sack of one particular model and a good percentage of them would be for shit. But you will end up with a few that work well and last long. I say, find a model that you like the way it handles, then buy a few and keep the one that works the best.

The torch is the albatross around the neck of the vapcap. If I continue to use my vapcaps I will need to buy an induction heater.

Fucking torches

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    pigfoot and Newcastle like this.
  10. steama

steama slightly stoopid

I happen to really like using a torch and I do not find it difficult to find a good, quality torch either. I have noticed that when buying a torch price often has less to do with quality than most other types of products. I have been pretty lucky buying torches.

The induction heater is great and definitely worth having if you have a vapcap.

:tup:

11. abjake55

abjake55 Tech Geek

So far my quad and twin vertigo from DV are working well . Of course, now I need a triple, and waiting for the aomini(?) Single from ebay! TAS is alive and well .

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    needalift, steama and cybrguy like this.
  12. needalift

needalift Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I have a black one of these Colibri lighters . I have mentioned it s real times in this thread , but I have used it regularly for quite some time with no issue . I also made the mistake of washing it with a pair of pants last week . When I got it out of the washing machine , I tried to use it and nothing ... I thought “ well damn , I finally killed it “. Then out of the corner of my eye I see a can of duster ( compressed air ) , so I grabbed it and blew the burners out . A lot more water than I expected came out and it lit immediately . That has been a week ago today and I have used it everyday since with zero issues . This has been a very good lighter for me !!! BUT , I talked a friend into buying one and his lasted less than 3 months . The igniter went out and it won’t light ... I don’t know it’s him or myself that was the exception in this case ....

pigfoot likes this.
  13. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Have you got a link for these?

needalift likes this.
  14. needalift

15. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Thank you. I have been having a little difficulty finding my favorite and that looks similar.
    Can you tell me how it compares size wise to these 2 guys? I vastly prefer the larger one, but the smaller one functions very well too and is readily available. I just like the bigger size.

I suppose I should have something else in there for perspective but this is a pic from earlier in the thread.
    [​IMG]
    I DO like the look of it...
    [​IMG]

Hmmm... Looking closely at the picture and using the push button for scale it looks like this torch may be the larger size. I may have to order one to find out... ;) (no TAS here...)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    szai and needalift like this.
  16. needalift

Sorry , I never owned either one of those to make the comparison , but if I had to guess , I’d say it is closer to the size of the vertigo .
    On a side note , I set the butane flow just high enough to keep the flames solid from all three jets , and I get some pretty good mileage before I have to refill the tank .

szai likes this.
  17. szai

szai Well-Known Member

I just got the Blazer pocket micro torch the pb207 in. I'm liking it but it's quite different from my expectations. I think it's designed to have one consistent flame and the adjustment is designed to adjust fuel flow not flame length. It's really pretty powerful and it's taking a bit of adjustment.

They other thing is that there is an industrial model. The only difference is that it doesn't have a trigger safety. It's the version I opted to get.

Edit: wow this thing is something else! Two hit bowl with even abv and amazing extraction and it's quite easy to achieve I think. Merits more testing but the Outlook is looking more positive.

Forgot to mention also got the xikar stratosphere ii and it's pretty interesting. The flame is really bright and different and hard to see. Still you can tell wheres it hits because of the light. It's really weird but I kinda of like it.

Edit: oh snap that was the first hit! Probably biggest hit I've ever gotten from my dynavap.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    asdf420 and needalift like this.
  18. needalift

I like the look of the pb207 , but It usually run around $50 . Is it worth the cost ?? This seems pricey for a pocket torch . I guess if it is well built and last the test of time though , it’s probably gonna be worth the price tag ...

19. szai

szai Well-Known Member

Try to get the clear industrial version it's a little cheaper.

I'm not sure yet. I like it, it's much smaller than I expected.

The best thing is that it doesn't get hot. That alone is worth the cost imi. It's like the larger butane torches that don't get hot from heating a dynavap.

needalift likes this.
  20. Ramahs

Ramahs Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

Here's what I just found with a bit of googling about it:

"The adjustment is made inside the torch and is
    not really meant to be done by the owner but it can be done with a bit
    of fiddling.

Remove the two small screws either side of the wind-shield and pull
    off the top. there are no springs to jump out but the dust filter may
    come off from around the fire nozzle. this is easily put back on.

There is a metal plate held down by one screw. turn the screw a couple
    of turns to loosen the plate - no need to remove it completely. With
    "the black flame adjustment lever at the max position, lift it off the"
    "ratchet , move it back a bit then push it back down onto the ratchet."
    Then push it forward to the high flame position again. Press the
    plunger to release the gas and apply a light from a match or another
    lighter to check the size of the yellow flame. This should be about 2
    cm long.

the fiddly part is getting the top back on. The wire has to go up
    inside the the hole that leads to the copper electrode that you can
    "see in the top, and the valve that the gas comes out of goes inside"
    the hole in the base of the nozzle. i put the wire in first and then
    wriggle the top around and it goes in fairly easily. If you don't get
    it right the wire bends and you get no spark.

Don't make the flame too big or it is slow to extinguish. To reduce
    "the flame size push the lever backwards, lift off the ratchet, move it"
    to the maximum seting then push down onto the ratchet again. It's only
    "a matter of repositioning it on the ratchet, and with intelligence,"
    "which i am sure you have, you will understand what you are doing."

szai and needalift like this.
  21. sativasam

sativasam NO SMOKING

I have used 2 torch lighters with my Omnivap; one good, one bad:

1) I used to use the Honest lighter that Vapefiend sells. It looks high quality and solid, comes in its special box and leather case; but to be frank it was a pain in the arse overall, as I couldn't see how much gas was in it; it would constantly run out of gas after maybe 3 bowls or so (as such I would carry around a butane canister everywhere!); and would take what would seem like eternities to heat up the cap; plus by the end of using the Honest lighter (around 4 months i think) it started playing up and I would have to click it up to 20 times before the flame became constant if at all.

2) Lucky for me a friend donated me his Atomic torch (left it at my GF's after a party). It looks cheap because its made of plastic but its actaully well built, powerful, and heats the cap up in mere seconds. It has a huge see through tank that never seems to empty of gas, lasting week/s of daily use (3-6 bowls a day) rather than half a day like the Honestly Shit lighter. I couldn't find any shop selling the Atomic model I have online -my friend said he picked it up in Camden market - but I did find a picture of the exact lighter I'm using. Highly recommended no nonsense!
    http://www.socimage.com/media/1355871229684378633_2679963623

RUDE BOY likes this.
  22. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    pigfoot and needalift like this.
  23. needalift

@cybrguy , I hope you have the same awesome experience that I’ve had with my colibri !!

cybrguy likes this.
  24. needalift

Forgot to mention that my colibri came empty and I’ve kept Newport butane in it since I received it . It seems to really like that stuff ...

cybrguy likes this.
  25. muunch

muunch hotboxing the cockpit

A bit large, but these are great for single torch lighters if you're not willing to get a vapman lighter, which is the king of single torches imo. These ones stand up on their own easily (much easier than any other handheld torch lighter I've used) and have a lock feature which is nice. The adjustable range is also massive (which is nice but also useless since for my purposes it's always on lowest)

I also got this and while hella nice looking and feeling, I'm a bit bummed on performance... It's not 'in-between' a single and triple like I thought. It's somehow worse than both. Maybe it's just the way the jets are on this one. I have to heat the cap kinda oddly.

I still like the cyclone triple best, but singles are nice. I feel like it's more of a session with those, while the triple is a quick blast done by 4 cycles tops

needalift, Hippie and szai like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors