What's the next war / conflict?

bcleez

With the South Korean ship sinking my friend and I were just discussing what we think the next major conflict would be... Iran seems too obvious just like India & Pakistan.

One scenario we came up with was the U.S. & Europe defaulting on their debts to Asia and the Asian countries refusing to get screwed like most other regions have throughout history and taking a stand.

I was born way after the Korean War & Vietnam but for a few hours I was kind of nervous with this news. I am a history buff and not to take anything away from any military conflict but history has shown all the Asian wars to be so brutal and awful.

These things just seem to pop out of no where, so was just wondering what you thought could be next...

(for U.S. members remember we are in 3 wars right now. Iraq, Afghanistan, and international war on terror - pakistan etc)

bcleez,

fidget

bcleez said:
(for U.S. members remember we are in 3 wars right now. Iraq, Afghanistan, and international war on terror - pakistan etc)
Four if you count the war against correct use of the term war.

fidget,

lwien

bcleez said:
In my mind, 3 wars. A war, by concept, needs to be able to be won or lost, and being that international terrorism has been going on since the dawn of man and will continue to go on, I don't see it as a war. It's an ongoing concept that needs to be delt with and contained as much as possible, but it's never going to be won or lost.

If I was a bettin' man, I'd say a war between Israel and Iran. Also, there could be a major conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia for the title of the strongest Arab country in the Middle East.

And if Iran ever does get nukes, believe me, it's not just Israel that will feel threatened, but every Arab nation in the immediate vicinity will feel compelled to own their own nukes, and that WILL be a major cluster fuck.

I remember sitting around the table having this exact same discussion with my Dad over 50 years ago when we were right in the middle of the Cold War with the Soviet Union and he told me, "Mark my words son. The next big war will not be between the Soviet Union and the US, but instead the Soviet Union will be allied with the US in a war against China.". Well, imho, while he was off the mark by quite a few decades, I do think that eventually, maybe 20 to 50 years from now, he may, very well, be right.

lwien,
mnmlh said:
Liberals vs. Conservatives
I guess I'll be alone in that war. I don't trust the narrow view points, and beliefs of either. To add to this thread, I think that something is going to happen between Israel and Iran. Too much tension to just go away without conflict.

SkeletonLips,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Like 98% of the ppl i know, I think the US needs to just bring it's troops home and focus on defending it's borders and not policing the entire world. As Iwien said, there will always be terrorism, and "wars" without clear, achievable goals just end up being a bottomless pit to toss money and lives into. This WMD paranoia/scare has been going on for decades and will continue despite the efforts of any military force. When was the last time a nuke was used by one country to attack another? Yeah. Paranoia, as i said. Even if they get A nuke, how many do you think our country and our allies have to send back at them. I don't think any country is so reckless and foolish enough to start a nuke exchange. The only ppl who are insane enough to use a nuke are terrorists, and you CAN'T fight terrorism in any conventional sort of way IMO.

One thing i know for sure, whatever the conflict, you'll find me far, far from it.

steiner666,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
fidget said:
bcleez said:
Four if you count the war against correct use of the term war.
Wait a minute,.. what about the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty, the War on Homelessness, the War on Hunger, and the ever present War on Illiteracy?

oh wait,.. those must all be part of the war on the correct use of the term war... my bad.

I think the next conflict will be a 2 day excursion to some south american country to make it look like we (*USA) are doing something worthwhile on the world stage.

Bruce@Zephyr,

lwien

mnmlh said:
So let's see. I'm fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. What in the hell does that make me?

I really do think that for most of us, we fall somewhere in the middle, but hey, politicians are in a constant war. They are always in a situation of either winning or losing, and therefore, must have definitive concepts to be able to base their political wars, with those concepts being liberalism, conservatism, right wing, left wing, etc etc etc. And then the news outlets, be it radio, tv or newspapers jump on the bandwagon in order to make their profits. For me, I refuse to get caught up in that shit, but there are those that buy into those concepts hook line and sinker and wrap themselves in a liberal or conservative flag and go around yelling, "Look at me. Look at me !! " :rolleyes:

lwien,

lwien

Bruce@Zephyr said:
I think the next conflict will be a 2 day excursion to some south american country to make it look like we (*USA) are doing something worthwhile on the world stage.
Kinda like what we did in Grenada ? :cool:

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
There might also be the possibility of US military involvement in Mexico (beyond posting national guard at the border, which they have been doing for months now). If things get any worse with the war between the cartels and government.... Ya never know.

DevoTheStrange,

mnmlh

lwien said:
mnmlh said:
So let's see. I'm fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. What in the hell does that make me?
I don't know.. I'm sure there is a political party that suits your viewpoint, but I'm not trying to be that specific, and my comment was said in jest to some degree. Conservatism implies quite a bit these days that is outside of it's exact definition. Maybe fiscally moderate is a better term? Extremists start conflicts like this, and I don't think that it's going to happen for no reason. It's the right wing that is gathering angrily, and they could set it all off. Say there is an assassination by some redneck extremist - you can bet that people who find themselves uninvolved in politics will start to take a side - who cares about politics at that point. They are just representative, and I'm saying that what the two major parties represent is a cultural divide that is deepening.

Also, I'm not saying that it's some widespread conflict, but at this point, tension is very high in our media driven age. I heard Glen Beck is going to release some sort of manual about how to take this country back, and will be on tour, "teaching Americans." We could say that it's a constant battle, but this is more than that. It's a cultural clash that has some extremist on one side that look like they are ready to start a revolution. It could be hot air and never catch on in the real world, but the media and the internet's ability to bring together the masses is something that has not existed in it's current, corrupt form during the last time that people were so divided. The bandwagon can grow really fast.

mnmlh,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I agree that an Israeli / Iranian conflict will arise. Israel will take out Iran's nuclear capabilities, similar to their attack on Iraq nuclear power plant in 1981.

macbill,

reprobate

vaporer
SkeletonLips said:
To add to this thread, I think that something is going to happen between Israel and Iran.
There is precedent: Israel took out Iraq's potential nukes and there is no reason to doubt they'll do the same thing if Iran gets too brazen.

And much of the 'civilized' world will breathe a sigh of relief, although they'll condemn it publically on general principles. :D

[crosspost]

reprobate,

lwien

macbill said:
I agree that an Israeli / Iranian conflict will arise. Israel will take out Iran's nuclear capabilities, similar to their attack on Iraq nuclear power plant in 1981.
Yeah, but this time, it's going to a lot more difficult. In Iraq, it was one plant above ground. In Iran, there are numerous plants spread all around the country and all well fortified and most underground. It won't be a walk in the park like Iraq was but I can definitely feel Israel's trigger finger getting a bit twitchy here. If it wasn't for the US pressuring them to hold off, I think they would have gone in a long time ago.

And I also believe that the other surrounding Arab countries would privately applaud the action, but would publicly condemn it. The last thing that they would want to see is Iran with nukes.

lwien,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Of course it would be best if no country felt the need for nuclear weapons, including the USA. That's not going to happen in my lifetime.

During the Cold War, the mantra was "Mutually Assured Destruction". It was MAD that kept the USSR and USA from each other's throats, and kept them building arsenals that could destroy the world 100 times over.

If my enemy had a nuclear weapon, I would want one, too, kind of like insurance: MAD. I don't blame Iran for wanting one. I sure don't want them to have one. Why does the UN get to decide who can get one and who can't? Israel didn't get permission. I agree with trade sanctions and whatnot as a carrot and stick approach - they just generally never work in the long term. But to bomb their nuclear development program out of existence? It's bound to piss somebody off real bad.

macbill,

lwien

macbill said:
Of course it would be best if no country felt the need for nuclear weapons, including the USA. That's not going to happen in my lifetime.

During the Cold War, the mantra was "Mutually Assured Destruction". It was MAD that kept the USSR and USA from each other's throats, and kept them building arsenals that could destroy the world 100 times over.

If my enemy had a nuclear weapon, I would want one, too, kind of like insurance: MAD. I don't blame Iran for wanting one. I sure don't want them to have one. Why does the UN get to decide who can get one and who can't? Israel didn't get permission. I agree with trade sanctions and whatnot as a carrot and stick approach - they just generally never work in the long term. But to bomb their nuclear development program out of existence? It's bound to piss somebody off real bad.
The problem is, is that if Iran gets nukes, than every country within the region will also want nukes. As unstable as the Middle East is, can you imagine what nuclear proliferation in that part of the world would be like? If Israel took out their plants, the only country that would be pissed off is Iran. Sure, other neighboring countries will publicly throw a fit, but privately, they'll be like............."Whew".

What's kinda funny macbill, is when I was reading your post, I couldn't get Dr. Strangelove out of my mind. "Gentleman, you can't fight here! This is the war room!" :lol:

lwien,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Dr Strangelove is one I watch at least once a year. Sellers was fantastic. Slim Pickens was great!

macbill,

lwien

macbill said:
Dr Strangelove is one I watch at least once a year. Sellers was fantastic. Slim Pickens was great!
So was George C Scott.

lwien,

Rick

Zapman
Looks like our new President has very much heavy stuff on his plate, much of it there because past administrations/congress did not do tough decisions. I think by the time he comes up for re-election we will have a very good idea if he is a good leader(or not). I do know he surprised many of his 'opponents' on health care(yes, a misnomer......maybe health insurance expansion?). They were sure he was going down. No, I do not like the solution but it is a start in a different direction.
Wonder about the real stuff, what you all are talking about. How will he do there?

Rick,

bcleez

I think Russia and China would align against the USA. India would align with us. That is why we have great relations with them. The US - India alliance is probably one of the most powerful and least talked about. I assume that our alliance with Pakistan plays into that.

I am incapable of believing the Russians don't have bad intentions.

bcleez,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Matters are very precarious right now in the overall picture, for sure. Like collective psychosis on the world stage.
I see a form of soft martial law unfolding in the US, as part of the "war on terror,"
there is incredible anger and major distrust of government at the same time. We've become the Bizarro Comics version of America (The Bizarro planet was populated by backwards Superman beings - everything opposite of Superman, like a fully deranged Superman; a whole planet of them. Hysterical).

Within and without we seem to be in a period of "correction."

It may be wise to think toward being far far away from whatever shit does unfold.

As Jerry Garcia said, the only way to fix world problems is for everybody to take one step backward and two steps sideways and let the whole thing collapse, and build something new from there.

Can this be done?

jeffp,
Top Bottom