What's The Most Popular Type Of Cannabis For Your State

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The top takeaways: edible items dominate menus in Colorado, California, and Arizona, while flower is king in Washington and Michigan. Meanwhile, concentrate options are top in Oregon.

Click on the image to enlarge it. 11/4/15

What Does It Mean?
To many dispensary owners, this information might not come as much of a surprise. But we can make a couple of assumptions from the data. The high percentage of edible options on menus in Colorado and the high number of flower options in Washington could have something to do with the powerful brands in those respective markets. Edible manufacturers such as Denver’s Dixie Elixirs could easily help contribute to 4 out of every 10 products on the average Colorado menu being an edible. Meanwhile, in Washington, growers like Dutch Brothers Farms dominate the market, and their brand recognition could help drive the high percentage of flower options on dispensary menus.

he propensity of concentrate options across Oregon menus is interesting, and might have something to do with the state’s medical-only recent past. There’s a chance that the health appeals of vape pens might also be catering to an older demographic of patients in Oregon.

Additionally, the data revealed a few more surprising trends:
  • There's a relatively low percentage of pre-roll items in Colorado (1.64%) when compared to the percentage of items available in Washington (10.18%). This could be linked to Washington consumers’ preference for flower, as well as the fact that the relatively new recreational market in Washington attracts new consumers who are interested in the convenience of a pre-roll.
  • A high percentage of “other” options in Colorado (e.g. topicals, cannabis pills, glass pieces, vaporizer chargers) is possibly indicative of the market’s longevity and sophistication.

I thought this was an interesting article from our friends at Leafly.

Last edited:

StheDubya

I'm thinkin that the graphs are so different because of the state laws. Each state has way different regs that are going to skew the results. I do know people are dab crazy in Oregon and Washington has a ton of dank nugs. When Ive been to Colorado they seem to push the edibles and have a lot of companys selling them. If it was legal on the fed level and there wasn't such a difference in laws from state to state do ya think the graphs would be more similar between the states?

StheDubya,

Gunky

The data tells less about what is popular than about the variety of choices in different places. More choice of concentrates does not equal more concentrate by dollar amount, volume, or whatever. The entry is misleading. Not about popularity but product choice and differentiation.

MinnBobber

Wow, I am shocked that flowers are not #1 in every state.

Also shocked that edibles are so big in many states.
I've only purchased one edible and didn't eat it until months later

MinnBobber,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I prefer flowers and I see WA state's most popular was that. I don't understand the popularity with edibles either. I use them but not all the time. Same with wax, just every so often. shoots my tolerance too high. I can get medicated very nicely with flowers.

I love the taste of the various cannabis strains, like tasting different flavored wines. I have a wonderful Premium Blackberry Kush I just bought at the market.

If a state only allows edibles or wax that would scew the results. Agree some areas don't have a good selection of all the choices stated. All the states listed all allowed flowers.

Some of the medical states have whacky laws as to what cannabis products are allowed. Weird they would allow an edible but not a flower? It just shows whoever is making the decisions doesn't know what they are doing.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
The data tells less about what is popular than about the variety of choices in different places. More choice of concentrates does not equal more concentrate by dollar amount, volume, or whatever. The entry is misleading. Not about popularity but product choice and differentiation.

Exactly this. There can be 20 different edibles on the menu, and 10 types of flowers. Even if the flowers account for 50% of all sales from the dispensary, it won't show up in the data.

It's interesting to see, but agreed, it's fairly misleading unless you understand it's only showing the number of options.

I'd love to see the % of sales that go to each category.

MinnBobber

Exactly this. There can be 20 different edibles on the menu, and 10 types of flowers. Even if the flowers account for 50% of all sales from the dispensary, it won't show up in the data.

It's interesting to see, but agreed, it's fairly misleading unless you understand it's only showing the number of options.

I'd love to see the % of sales that go to each category.
Thanks. At first glance i assumed it was % of sales for each category, not % of menu items.
% of menu items is an almost worthless measure IMO.
The meaningful data is the sales $$/volume for each category

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Roth

Gunky

Sadly, the most popular form of cannabis in my state is of the "100% illegal" variety.
We are going to change that and sooner than you might think. Several of the 2016 presidential candidates, even a repub or two, have now taken stances favorable toward legalization. I was thrilled to hear Bernie say take it off the schedule! I think there are something like 16 legalization ballot measures in 2016. Momentum is building.

Gunky,
Top Bottom