Whats a class to take that would teach one to grow?

Nosferatu

I want to learn the basics of growing plants and such so I can put the skills to use with cannabis. My local community college offers botany, would that be a course to look for if you want to learn the basic fundamentals of growing plants? Or is that too general, is there a more in depth course I should go strait into that I dont yet know the name too? Sorry because i know nothing about this but to anyone who grows or knows alot about plants, where do you recommend starting?

Nosferatu,

crawdad

floatin
"Jorge Cervantes' Ultimate Grow DVD"

i have it and it's very good. he goes pretty slow and leaves (ha, no pun) very little untouched. covers various ways of growing as well as indoor and outdoor. he focuses on explaining things using the "ok, let me just show you" versus "ok, i'm going to explain it and just wave my hands around".

im a backyard farmer for edibles and can tell you that a green thumb in growing plants and vegetables is major bonus. i grow plenty of herbs. you use similar concepts making some adjustments for the specific plant requirements.

you could start growing some herbs, tomato, and peppers and learn the old fashion way. good luck!

crawdad,

2Supra4U

instead of getting the dvd just buy his medicinal grow bible.....less money and has way more informaton. everything you will need to learn. :2c:

002.jpg

004.jpg

2Supra4U,

Nosferatu

Thank you! I would like to learn to grow all sorts of other things also, not just weed, like your saying it helps. Ill check out that video also but I;m still thinking of taking botany at my CC unless someone suggests a better course?

Nosferatu,

crawdad

floatin
check for your local country extension office for plant or grow clubs and workshops...mine has them. they are usually run by local "master gardeners".

book looks cool, the video is nice though...would be great if local libraries had it to check out.

crawdad,

2Supra4U

if your looking for an actual class then just check your local schools (high school, universities, etc)
most cities have programs that teach all sorts of things through the schools.

2Supra4U,

Nycdeisel

I have that book up there^^ and it has a lot of information. Its not really in order though, you may or may not learn better from seeing it on the DVD, I would say try growing other plants first till you get some sort of foundation, then you can relate your knowledge from other plants to cannabis.

Nycdeisel,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
reading online forums and grow journals - icmag.com, rollitup.org, there's a vertical forum site that's fairly new, really wacky but fun stuff to draw from

try coco and coco nutes (or hydro nutes + CalMag), hand water 1x daily (enough to see some run-off)

outdoors just needs 5 hours a day direct sun
use "light dep" to simulate the season changes (cover every night, uncover every morning, has to be exact, every day)

using HPS you'd need 400w or 600w
peel off every other fan set as it grows to avoid blocking the light (it will be okay and not reduce yield if you do this as they develop)
if you cheap out and get a 150w HPS you'll need to use a round tube of screen around the bulb to maintain the best distance from the light to the flowers (no more than 12" with 150's)

encourage as large a root system as you can, to support production - it's key to maximizing flower production
pot-up from small to larger sizes to avoid root rot and encourage root development

veg to a good size, or follow 12/12 from seed if you have only micro-space
don't move plants outdoors (step down number of hours daylight from 24/7 to avoid shocking them into flowering too early and wasting valuable veg time
avoid any light during their night, nothing more than 5 minutes of moon-light strength light, or you risk them flipping back to veg, and wasting 2-3(-4) weeks for them to flip back

each mature plant evaporates or transpires supposedly half a liter of water everyday, so provide plenty of ventilation (don't cause mold in your house's walls) - buy a used 6" "inline fan" off craigslist, and buy a new small carbon filter

that's really most of what i know, hope it helps

VWFringe,

crawdad

floatin
thats real good advice there, although id say your 5 hour min should be more near 10. you have good results with only 5 of direct?

crawdad,
Top Bottom