• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

What was your favorite psychedelic song ?

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
MoeOnTheMoon said:
That Guitar Trio cd sounds interesting. I'm going to see if I can hunt a copy of that down on the internet...
You Tube: they have everything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ

They make me sick: here I am stuggling to learn the different major scale shapes: The ascending "E string" , The decending "E" string, the ascending "A string", let along the shapes of the Pentecostal (I think it sounds more holy than the pentatonic) scales, and they do it effortlessly.

macbill,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
macbill said:
You Tube: they have everything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ

They make me sick: here I am stuggling to learn the different major scale shapes: The ascending "E string" , The decending "E" string, the ascending "A string", let along the shapes of the Pentecostal (I think it sounds more holy than the pentatonic) scales, and they do it effortlessly.
Wow! Great video.
I play guitar but I don't even know what you mean by descending E and ascending A and the pentatonic. I'm a "play along with the record" kinda guy. That way, no matter how bad I am, the band tends to bring me up. ;-D

MoeOnTheMoon,

VapoFish

It's been a long time since I listened to McLauglin & Mahavishnu O. Thanks for the reminder - always like them.

VapoFish,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Yeah I vaguely remember Stoneground.
So many people lived their lives following the Grateful Dead around.
They created a society, pretty amazing.

jeffp,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Probably not the same psychadelic music you guys are talking about...

but Suliman by Infected Mushroom is really sick IMHO. Makes me feel like I'm in a video game or something.. LOL check it out on youtube, it's psy trance IDK if you guys are into that.

EDIT: here you guys go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuZNLKTUlsY

aznfknpride,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
MoeOnTheMoon said:
I play guitar but I don't even know what you mean by descending E and ascending A and the pentatonic. I'm a "play along with the record" kinda guy. That way, no matter how bad I am, the band tends to bring me up. ;-D
Major Scales
=========
Much of Western music is written in the Major Scale. There are seven tones to a scale, you know them as "do, re, mi...". Any note can be a starting point of the "do, re, mi.. etc." It is knowing where the next notes are depends on where you start the root or "tonic" note. If you start on the "E" string ascending (going up: do, re mi,...), there is a certain pattern. If you start on the "E" string decending (going down: do, ti, la,...) there is a certain pattern, etc.

Petatonic (5 Tone) Scales
==================
Pentatonics are very cool, and you need to learn them if you want to screw around with leads. Any song is written in a what is called a "Key Signature", for example, a song written in the Key of C. Within that key, the chords that may be used and that sound good together are C, F, G (or G7), B7, Am, etc. Pentatonic (5 tone) scale will work across the full set of chords of the Key signature, so you can improvise effortlessly. There are 5 shapes of the five tones (I think: - I'm a rookie learning on my own). So, for example, Up and down the fretboard you can utilize the C pentatonic in 5 different spots in a 14 fret span, using the five different shapes.

Of course, it could all be bullshit, but I think I wrote it right.

macbill,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Thanks for the info, macbill.
I have just always played "by ear", by listening to what they do on cd's (records, originally!) and trying to duplicate or approximate it.
It's more fun that way, I think! ;-D Though the results may not turn out as good...

MoeOnTheMoon,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I'm sure you play far, far, better than I. I started late (53), and it is a kind of an obsession. Since I am learning it alone, I've acquired all sorts of weird knowledge and useless facts that swirl within my brain taking space Your way is probably best.

macbill,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I think both ways are good, and probably the best way is to combine them.

I started learning to play the blues harp a year or so ago but haven't really followed through.
It's an easier instrument to learn the basics of, but in a way it's a challenge to learn the more advanced techniques.

Learning any instrument - like learning a language - is difficult when you get into it deeper. The basics are fairly easy, but then when you try to get into advanced playing, it takes an even deeper commitment which I never really had. So though I've been playing for most of my life, it's just something I do for fun once in a while. I would say I can play the guitar - "somewhat competently".

If I can get to that point with the blues harp, I will be pretty happy about it. What it takes is practice, practice, practice, and I haven't yet put in the time. I keep thinking maybe one day when I get to finally retire from this rat race, or at least semi-retire, I can spend more time learning to play the blues harp, and the piano, and the saxophone. (One at a time...)

MoeOnTheMoon,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
A Way-Back Stoner Song is White Rabbit, by Jefferson Airplane. The words imply (to me) an acid trip.

macbill,
Top Bottom