What was your favorite psychedelic song ?

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Try "Uncle Meat" by Zappa (aka "The Mothers of Invention")
The vinyl is much better than the CD only because the CD has elongated "penalty tracks" but you could always skip past the parts that aren't music.
King Crimson, "In the Court of the Crimson King"
for mellow, try "Amazing Blondel"
or experiment with The Incredible String Band.
Massive Attack is very cool.
For a real mind blower check out the band Television, the album, "Marquee Moon."
For parties anything by The Bonzo Dog Band can't be beat.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
forgot to mention my dear friend David Peel's seminal album, "Have a Marijuana" or his third album, "The Pope Smokes Dope." doesn't warrant repeated listens but worth hearing once.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
and I would be totally remiss to not mention "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys.
it you're put off by the idea of the Beach Boys as being sappy, check out this album - it will stop you cold.
it's really a world onto itself, that's the only way I can describe it.

jeffp,

reece

lwien said:
Do you guys remember The Deads spinoff band, New Riders of the Purple Sage ? Great stuff.
I'm pretty sure they're still around. One of the members is a DJ on Sirius (or was a year or so ago).

I've got to go with Maggot Brain by Funkadelic. Anyone not familiar with this song should check it out. There are album and live versions on youtube.

reece,

owin

Television - Marquee Moon was the first record I bought for my record player. Love them. And Spirit.

owin,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
reece said:
lwien said:
Do you guys remember The Deads spinoff band, New Riders of the Purple Sage ? Great stuff.
I'm pretty sure they're still around. One of the members is a DJ on Sirius (or was a year or so ago).

I've got to go with Maggot Brain by Funkadelic. Anyone not familiar with this song should check it out. There are album and live versions on youtube.
Yes, Maggot Brain, also Love Sculpture (Dave Edmunds) Khachaturian's Sabre Dance from '68.

jeffp,

chucku

Charles Urbane
jeffp said:
reece said:
lwien said:

Yes, Maggot Brain, also Love Sculpture (Dave Edmunds) Khachaturian's Sabre Dance from '68.
My God, Maggot Brain is incredible. Also check out......

Spanishj Jam - 6/23/74 GD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9PGHT3Sef4

and

Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam (acoustic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhcnKYvzfZc

chucku,

Postman

Wow some good tunes listed.
One that I always like was the Chambers Brothers "Time Has Come Today". Not something you would expect from a band that started out playing Gospel

Nice site, after 40 years of combustion I decided to give the vape a shot.
Peace

Postman,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
There are so many, it's really hard to name just one... so this isn't definitive, it's just the one that comes to mind:
Probably not well known to many but check it out:
James Gang Rides Again is the album, the first few songs on "side 2" (from lp days) starting with "Tend My Garden" . Around 1972. Got high to this many times.
(maybe not "psychedelic" like some Airplane tunes I could have said, but this is very stoney. Does that count?)

MoeOnTheMoon,

VapoFish

Any music, if its good music, usually works for me.

I love to listen to Coltrane on shrooms, sometimes Miles Davis or Charlie Parker are good too. Jerry Garcia/David Grisman is another good choice, especially when they are doing improv instrumentals. Pink Floyd has been my friend through a number of trips.

Another obscure artist that I think is good for tripping is (guitar instrumentalist) Andy Mckee. Wow, what an amazing dude. Mellow but intense.

:peace:

VapoFish,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
VapoFish, I'm a big fan of Bird and Coltrane too bu never thought to listen to them on shrooms! I like to lsten to Bird on caffeine! ;)
My fave stuff for shrooms was Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Captain Beefheart. I think if I were to get high on shrooms now I might listen to Anoushka Shankar with Karsh Kale or Deuter. The Master Musicians of Joujouka are pretty psychedelic.

MoeOnTheMoon,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Check out Alice Coltrane on shrooms or vapor. Really great. I think that maybe Alice Coltrane was more of an impetus for John Coltrane to go into an Eastern direction than the other way around. Don't think I'd opt to listen to Trout Mask Replica while tripping, it's a demanding listen - maybe Clear Spot.
Side #3 of Zappa's "200 Motels" is pretty magical.

jeffp,

VapoFish

I have listened to Alice Coltrane on vape just a few days ago. My fave J Coletrane on shrooms: A Love Surpreme ... especially when the back up musicians start chanting.

VapoFish,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Some years ago I was talking to a girl at a bar near me, a young black girl, and as we talked she told me that John Coltrane was her grandfather. She understood, I would say, based on how she expressed herself to me, only to an extent how culturally significant he was. I mean I don't think she got the utter reverence. "Yeah yeah, they were ALL at the house all the time when I was a kid, they were always hanging out, making music....no, I'm not a musician, I'm a haircutter."

jeffp,

VapoFish

Great story, and interesting that she didn't understand her grandfather's legacy. Bet she is a great hair cutter.

VapoFish,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
This is rare: people talking about Alice Coltrane and John Coltrane in an active forum - about vaporizing...

I'm into Alice too. Did anyone like her collaborative effort with Carlos Santana, "Illuminations"? I like that a lot. Carlos can really make a guitar sing.

I know what you mean about "A Love Supreme". One of the great things about Coltrane is that he went through so many periods and styles of playing. I love all of them. From "My Favorite Things" to "A Love Supreme" to "Ascension" - now THAT is a demanding listen! And one of my favorite cd's is the collection they put together of "The Gentle Side of John Coltrane".

JeffP wrote: " Don't think I'd opt to listen to Trout Mask Replica while tripping, it's a demanding listen - maybe Clear Spot"

My friends and I first heard Trout Mask Replica while on mushrooms and we all became instant fans! For us it was like the shrooms opened our minds to be able to understand and appreciate that music. But yeah, it is demanding. We sat and just listened, laughed at times, and at times just looked at each other like "Wow! Did you HEAR that?!" :ko: :D

MoeOnTheMoon,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Yes, I have a copy of "The Gentle Side of John Coltrane" - it's a great collection.
For some reason I'm iffy about "Illuminations" as I am about "Love Devotion Surrender" with McLaughlin but these are albums I wanted to like.
There's just something about Santana that feels slightly, for lack of a better word, "disingenuous" or predictable, or something. I just don't get Santana.
One album that I really like alot and have great respect for is McLaughlin's "My Goal's Beyond" on Douglas.
The last time I tripped on LSD I listened to "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" and it was totally mind blowing as you can imagine.

Just some random other suggestions - Steve Tibbets "Northern Song" and "Amazing Blondel" - great mellow music for vaping...

jeffp,

VapoFish

I'll check those tunes out - I'm listening to Tony Futado, Magpie On the Gallows right now. Nice stuff too.

I can listen to almost anything Coletrane, but sometimes am challenged by Bird & Miles, to the point where it's distracting and I can't really enjoy the music. I still do listen, and love the music. Just sometimes ...

I recently discovered Hubert Sumlin - old blues guy - great stuff!

:peace:

VapoFish,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I like a Dead jams, especially if they are extensions of tunes I know well. Garcia just noodles the hell out of the lead, or when Duane Allman was alive, how the melody could soar with twin leads. think: "Jessica", for example. Damn everytime I hear that tune I see in my mind's eye a car with the top down, speeding along a leafy fall country road. On and on.....

macbill,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I'll second Dead jams and McLaughlin's "My Goals Beyond". Just about all of John McLaughlin's stuff is good; well much of it, anyway. Hubert Sumlin I have never heard of but I like blues so I'll check it out. McLaughlin's "Inner Mounting Flame" can be mind-blowing but it's quite frenetic.

MoeOnTheMoon,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I can remember a strange and wonderful concert many years ago at the Berkeley Community Theater: Cheech & Chong, and John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I'm tellin' ya, It was a strange combo for me, and I'd have to say my first encounter with such free form whateveryoucallit:jazz.

Now listening: Guitar Trio: Paco de Lucia/John McLaughlin/Al Di Meola

macbill,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I had a friend who lived in Berkeley - we used to go to the Keystone Korner there and in S.F. for jazz. I think I've been to the Community Theater as well but not sure.

I saw McLaughlin at a small venue in 1972 I think it was, with the Mahavishnu Orchestra. It was great!

That Guitar Trio cd sounds interesting. I'm going to see if I can hunt a copy of that down on the internet...

MoeOnTheMoon,
Top Bottom