What vape glass and where to get custom work

korupt

Hey guys.

Haven't posted in a while since I got some pretty sweet recommendations here on what vape to buy, ended up with the VapeXhale Cloud Evo. Since I got it I have only combusted once to see if I still enjoyed it, and boy oh boy, never combusted again after that. When I'm traveling it is the VapCap that is my companion :)

So my two questions are as follow:
1: What should I look for in glass if I exclusively vape? Currently I got Leisure Swiss Tree Incycler and it is sweet in the sense that I can customize the flavor and harshness based on the amount of water I put in it. Would however like something *exclusive* with a different profile tailored to vaping though. Dry-hitting the swiss tree is horrible according to me, I assume it is because the vapor is in contact with a lot of glass. If I dry hit I tend to just go with the whip the first 2-3 hits then switch to the bong.

2: Do you know of any artists that do custom heady work on finished pieces?
I don't have any social media accounts but if you know of anyone on instagram/something else that does custom heady work I'd appreciate it. I'm not even sure if artists do work on other peoples pieces if they don't collab from the start. So far only contacted @stokeglass without any success. Idea is that the work should be done on the Swiss Tree.

Here is a video
of the function for my current piece, I like higher water levels. Clouds aren't big as I've hit it (hash) 5 times before that one and video doesn't really do it justice.

Setup:
Dial is at max for concentrates. Hash starting at 14:00, finishing at 15:00. I start weed at 12:00 and finish it around 14:00.

ILFXLSp.jpg

ILFXLSp.jpg

If I am in the wrong forum I apologize.
Any help is appreciated.

/k

Kanna_Kult

JODA does often does custom glass specifically for vapes, as do a few other blowers. It really depends what YOU want, I assume you're wanting more flavor? Try something simple or old school, or something with a 1-4 hole diffuser. That really helps preserve flavor. Although when buying a piece specifically for the evo, keep in mind you're gonna need at least a few inches of clearance between the joint and the can of you want to use it inverted.

That Swiss tree is a beautiful piece btw

Mr. Whitewall

1: What should I look for in glass if I exclusively vape?

Usually 14mm joints, for reduced airflow in portable vapes, but having an EVO it isn't an issue I guess?
Other than that there's no limit, only your imagination!
"Tailored to vapes" wouldn't really apply, as any vape is theoretically usable with almost any rig, all you have to take in consideration is function.
For example, smokers tend to prefer big tubes and beakers, but those are still usable for vaping and many members here use either or both.
There's vapour rigs, which are usually oilers for concentrate use, but then again its just a name, you don't have to get a vapour rig in order to exclusively vape through it.

If it is of any help, I personally have gone for different function in each new rig I get:

First was a tube, as I was coming out of combustion and it was the most familiar form I was accustomed to.
Then a small cheap hand bubbler, to use dry with my MiniVap. Function is horrible anyway.
Next a vapour rig/recycler, the Gordo Scientific, that was mostly a snipe on ALT, they had three rigs with different labels (including gold) and female 14mm joints, which is pretty rare IME for a Gordo, so I pulled the trigger on it!
Was rather cheap too. Function is amazing, in the sense that water barely touches the vapour, so flavour loss is minimal.

Then a Sov Kingstem; I started downsizing tubes. Also because my Sublimator likes 18mm too and it went into a rotation. It was also heady with a sandblasted circular design, so quite a unique piece. Bit of a snipe as well.

Then the Fatboy FTK, and totally fell in love with recyclers! Although they do rob a fair bit of flavour IME, they are pretty smooth and allow for nice hits.
Next were two more recyclers and then I got into small rigs and next heady a bit... But my prime interest is function first and foremost: I find it hard to justify another purchase unless it really brings something new to the collection.

I also like to change colours, combine them, so there's some sort of theme to the whole collection, not just a bunch of glass shoved into a corner.
Another thing I look for are different types of glass work in each piece: UV, fuming, fillacello, murrinis, etc, etc... Anything that catches my eye!
Don't get me wrong, I love the simplicity and beauty of clear glass too, it just depends on the piece itself.

2: Do you know of any artists that do custom heady work on finished pieces?

I seriously doubt that, unless they are broken :uhoh:. Never heard of it before.

For repairs you can hit up Fishbone on IG if available, he's absolutely amazing and his work does look like actual collabs!
He may be able to recommend somebody else if not. But again that MUST be a repair not a redo.

I'm not a glass blower either, but I think there's a couple of reasons at least: first they have to re-kiln the piece and it is never guaranteed that it'll survive. :ugh:
I'd keep that baby safe if I were you!

Secondly many may refuse just out of respect for the original blower's art.
Although, some may actually do it for the cash, I'd personally NEVER let a blower like that anywhere near my glass if I could avoid it.

If I were you, I'd find what I want the most first; for example prodo with accents or full heady, then search between options available, next either buy directly if totally sure or ask somebody reputable on IG (@Kanna_Kult 's advice was good for example) to replicate that with more colour. Most blowers there seem to have a preference towards certain work, say recyclers or banger hangers, or even their own designs which is what makes IG a great place.

Good hunting! :tup:

Sorry for the massive post, there's one thing I love almost even more than vapes! :science: :freak:

Last edited:

korupt

PS:
Yeah, my postscript goes on top:p I just wanted to ask, is there any logic that hitting my swiss dry is so much harsher than hitting it with the whip? I mean my pull is essentially the same. /PS

Oh damn guys, thanks a lot for the feedback. The flavor retention on the swiss is really good with lower water levels, but sadly, I feel it becomes a bit harsher than I want it to be. This is the reason to why I wanted to try a "vape specific" bong. Thanks @Kanna_Kult for the recommendation, I'll check the artist out just to see how it feels with few hole diffy. Chances are I'll buy something cheap, to see if it even comes close, then invest in something that is a little bit nicer.

@Mr. Whitewall, don't apologize for long posts, they are the most informative ones and give a perspective that can be hard to see in smaller ones since they talk about a broader topic :) I'm very appreciative that you had the time and energy to write something like that. Many thanks brother.

In regards to your answers on question #1:
I'm on a similar track. Was looking for a piece that functions very differently than the swiss, but that that was "optimized" for vaping. Thing is, I'm not fully sure what I am looking for but I guess flavor-saver like @Kanna_Kult said and smoothness. I'm not entirely sure if they are mutually exclusive so that you need to make a compromise. Might also go for a big tube just to have something very very different from the swiss. I used to have a hollow foot peyote pillar that got confiscated but at that point in time it was my favorite piece. Granted, I was combusting, but the flavor still managed to shine through with that one. The peyote pillar hollow foot didn't have that large of a can either, so might be why it was so smooth. I also see that you have the mini-pillar, mmmm :p That one might be quite close in function to the one I have though.

What is your fav small piece and large piece in that collection? Thinking a king stem might be nice for a larger piece but I'll check the rest out.

On question #2:
Yeah, I really had no clue about any of this. I was almost a little bit ashamed to ask because I don't want to insult the guy that does the work and don't feel like being disrespectful to Luke. @stokeglass actually answered yesterday that he is busy and to... contact Luke :D! I'm not sure if it was a "go away guy" answer or if Luke/Leisure actually adds custom work afterwards. I, much like you mentioned, was always worried about adding work to an already finished glass piece because of annealing/re-kilning. I know very little about the full glass process so I have no clue if it is possible or not.

I've been in contact with Fishbone a few years back to get my peyote pillar neck repaired but I want away before that so never happened. I might even have talked a little custom work with him, need to start digging through the mail.

Thanks again for great answered you guys, wish we had more friendly and helpful communities like this one.

Mr. Whitewall

Hey!

Glad to read my reply has been of use. It's my pleasure :)!
I feared posting a massive boring brick about my wonderful pieces and how I got to buy them and why, etc, etc.
I'm happy you appreciate the time and effort invested, by all means ask anything you need! :tup:

...So now, beware of the following massive text slab. :p You asked for it! :lol:

Reply to PS (still goes on top, but I can actually blame it on you haha!):

I don't really hit things with a whip if I can avoid it, for reasons many people here have already explained (its hard to fully clean, etc). But I might venture that it is because of the longer vapour path, and since its a different material, might absorb heat differently (as in faster)? Some other people here favour them for that very reason. It's a matter of choice and/or adapting their existing pieces I guess?

FWIW I think you're doing it right anyway; a recycler always needs a little more water to be able to fill the drain. Otherwise its just another bong?
Its the fun thing about those IME/O!

question #1:

If you want different function, I'm afraid the short answer is that you get another piece! :brow:
That is both good and bad, of course. I personally buy my pieces at a discount if possible, during 420/710, BFriday, etc. I can only afford about three per year, but I do a very extensive research, want list and hit list so I can fire away at a moment's notice if I can indulge in a new member for the family or promo time is there...

By the way you say it, you seem like yet another GAS case (welcome brother, find a seat!). Please don't ask me whether there's an end to it, I may not be the right person to answer that! :science:
But if you really care for the advancement of science, you'll find few limits in your endeavour I can tell you that much! :freak:

I think you may be overusing the same piece; to me it feels a little harsh always hitting the same thing after a while. The throat is forced to repeat the same effort over and over.
I heard from a glass blower on IG that it is good to trick your system by changing the function, and must admit he was quite right!
No matter how much I may like the piece. I need to use something else instead if it gets too harsh.

Another good thing I found in my rotation is to use two different pieces at the same time (at least). I started doing it because I have both the Sub and the FP, so I found myself hitting very different pieces and liked the experience from a functional point of view, not just from a vape X vs Y point of view. The tubes feel surprisingly smooth if I, say, hit the Mini Pillar too much.

I also changed from distilled water + RezBlock to Piece Water, for a variety of reason (which I have already explained in the PW thread). Now I can use half the collection at the same time!

Sorry if I digress a little, you hit many interesting points in your post.

Regarding size, most people favour 8" to 13" pieces because they're easier to hit whilst sitting at a desk. An Aussie member recently pointed out the contrary, for example: he was used to hit beakers and tubes on the couch. So a smaller rig may lose its appeal in that setting.
Others like minis a lot, but I guess that is favored for dabbing? No reason why you couldn't stick a vape to it (apart adapter considerations, which is what mostly puts me off). I personally hate 10mm joints but there's at least another member here (I think its @mrbonsai420 ) that only swears by them, maybe he can illustrate us on this mystery? :sherlock:

Its purely a matter of choice, and yes they're all good! Reason why I went for a tube first, but also got smaller pieces later.

OMG don't get me started about the Peyote pillar! Been looking for YEARS for the right one, but its more elusive than expected (fully worked with nice colour). They seem incredibly popular, and even on classifieds they are pretty rare.
Even Inverted 4-arms are a PITA, which was my original choice for vapour, since it seemed to be more flavourful and a faster hit from what little I read on glass forums regarding peyote vs 4-arm.

The Mini-Pillar is one of my favourite pieces hands down, you really hit the nail on the head there mate!! :lol:
It's a nice full hit with a lot of flavour and a funky function. The base MUST be hollow as it holds a little more liquid and actually makes the piece have a greater volume than its little brother, which is what makes all the magic.
I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but Sov pieces are just perfect in function IME. You really can't go wrong with any. IDK how they do it, but they hit amazingly well.

My fav small piece is the Toro Mac XL (although I just received the Econo today so its subject to change).
I was blown away first time I tried it. Was deceived by its simplicity, but it really hits like a dream, very smooth for such a simple perc and amazing flavour, as expected in a small piece.

My fav big piece is the Fatboy FTK! Also demands a bit of water to get it going, but it is the best of both worlds IME; 13" perfect for desk, hits like a tube, good filtration and still preserves flavour very decently.
Also cleaning is very easy... Although that may be too close to what you already have?

A King Stem is very nice if you have good lung power. Many smokers don't seem to like them on forums, they're the ones I see the most for resale (all styles combined, G-lines, up or down grids...seems pretty arbitrary, so I guess common denominator is size) maybe too big of a hit?
I got it because that turtle neck reduces the height whilst the bigger can retains a good volume. Its a 25" inside a 15"! Also flavour is pretty well preserved. I only managed to fully stack it ONCE with a MiniVap, but that was absolutely EPIC! Effects lasted a very long time, spent all afternoon nicely high.

Regarding tubes, I'd get a 50x50 Sov stemline if I couldn't have my Migrant.
22" at my age seems a little too ambitious, but I love that the inverted bell perc makes the pull incredibly easier. Amazing tube!
If I could do it again, I'd buy the 15" version. Don't know if he still blows glass tbh, apparently he was a very well respected guy among the community, but seems to have disappeared mysteriously.

I'd go for things completely different, so you can clearly feel the difference and later get something more akin to your tastes, same as I did, if you see you like recyclers then get a few.
I didn't find hard to get the Liquid Glass Arts for example, its a smaller piece than the Fatboy with three drains, clear glass and less volume.
The Mini Pillar could be considered as a recycler too, I do not have the technical formation to say so, but it feels that way. I like that its sturdy, compact, as opposed to the LGA which is more delicate.
At this point, for me I find hard to get more, unless its a museum piece, like a Ryan Fitt or similar.
This may also mean I'm in remission of GAS? [Hard to say yet.]

On question #2:

@stokeglass seems like a sensible guy. :nod:

I'd strongly advise you leave your beautiful piece as it is. Doesn't really need anything else, it properly fills the function for what it was made. If you want more, by all means GET MOAR :razz:

I'd rather ask Mr. Wilson how he feels about elaborating on something you may want. That way you have an exclusive custom piece AND a beautiful clear glass piece to match with a function that may complement the other instead of negating?
In this regard only the artist himself may help, its his baby after all! We just get to play with their creations.
Also he may have a prototype or some weird idea lying around, its worth asking too!

Re-kilning is possible, but only as a last recourse from what Fishbone told me. You may actually lose everything so you gotta be committed, its not like adding a mod to a car but more like an exorcism I'd say...

Fishbone is a great guy, really understanding... I have a lot of respect for him and his work. Seems not to be taking repairs anymore but IF you have the luck to hire him, he'd do an outstanding job I'm sure.

Otherwise I'd venture you have two choices: established artists that still take customs but will charge a fair bit of cash, or upcoming ones that want to make a name and are willing to experiment and work with you.
Both seem a good choice, the expensive ones are a sure shot, the cheap ones a bit more versatile?
They also happen to sell to shops their most popular designs, so that may be another approach, if you're not sure about how it functions, or if its going to please you?

Let me know what you think!

And again, glad to be of service. Just trying to give something back for everything I received from these folks too! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom