What should I get? (DBV, SSV, VB ect)

civre4monkey

The Vapist
Hi, Im new to this forum and (fairly) new to vaporizing. I smoked chronic everyday for a few years before I developed a lung condition that forced me to quit or find another intake method. Paying 200 dollars to get high seemed ridiculous (but I guess we pay that much for weed all the time...sigh...) so I got on Ebay like three months ago and spent 45 bucks on some ching-chong knockoff Vaporbros box shit. I think its called Noble Vapor or something.

Anyway, I get high as hell but sometimes I feel like I could do better. I definitely don't use herb as quickly as I did when I smoked (I can make an 8th oz last over a fking week now, if I try hard enough) but sometimes my vape does some screwball shit and doesn't finish the bowl.

But I digress.

I feel like a child among scholars when I surf these forums because everyone seems so well-versed in vaping, but I still can't pick out a good vaporizer that I can afford. Even people who dont smoke weed(let alone vape it) know that Volcanoes are the gold standard but I have a tighter budget than that would allow. Basically, I dont want to drop more than two Franklins on this mofo.

That being said, can I find something in that price range or should I spend more like 300? Or should I just say 'fuck it' and get a Volcano?

modnote: Moved. Question threads belong in Ask FC.

civre4monkey,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
It seems to me that you are looking for a Volcano type bag draw vape, but I am not sure.

I guess the first thing folks are gonna ask you is:

a) do you care about efficiency or just massive vapor hits or both

b) do you have a preference between bag , whip , PD type delivery or any other type of inhalation method

c) is it important for you that the vape be usable with a bong

d) do you require portability or for home use only or does this one vape need to do both reasonably well

e) how much of a factor is stealth-- portable stealth nor desktop stealth

f) do you need high temps or low temps

g) does it need to be ROHS compliant and free of controversial materials (such as brass and what not)

h) how fixated are you on an all glass vapor path

etc etc

If you are looking for a volcano type thing, look at the herbalaire and zephyr ion threads for good info, i'd give you threads but i am a little baked and cannot find the herbalaire one, here is the zephyr one:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2041

oh, found the other one too:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=315 :ko:

obelisk,

civre4monkey

The Vapist
a) Efficiency is most important.

b)No preference on delivery style, whatever will get me highest. Do any vapes do bag and whip?

c)No bong atm, but I might want to expand later. Not super important. As far as I know bongs filter out a considerable amount of THC when you smoke them so it seems like the same would be true for passing vape through.

d+e) I keep it in my garage so no one can really see it. The worst my dad might do is fire it up when Im not home.

f) I keep my vape at 372-415, according to the digital temp control. But I realize that might be faulty.

g+h)I dont care what its made of. My current setup is glass on glass but I havent found that to be any better in bongs or bubblers, does it make a big difference?

Basically I just want a setup that isnt expensive, something I can expand upon later. And most of all something that will get me fucked up. I dont care about all that other expensive shit, but a quasi-accurate temp control would be pretty sweet.

civre4monkey,

obelisk

i don't have much experience with vapes but have read around here quite a bit. my two cents are below, hopefully more folks with real experience will chime in.

if you want efficiency, i don't think you will be able to do better than the WDZ/MZ/PD style vapes. I own a WDZ and can vouch for its efficiency-- I do not think it gets better than this.

These style vapes do NOT have the option to control temperature however. But, they are perfectly calibrated to a lower temp for a headier high. I personally did not like this much at all when I got my wdz. I use a slightly higher voltage adapter with it now which produces hotter temps and thus more of those beeootiful toxins mm and it is perfect-- rips me. One stem does me pretty nice and two just takes me to all those angels in the clouds baby :ko:

so, in a sense the wdz does both low or high temps, though cannot do a specific temp of your choosing. but if you like the lower temp high, it is perfectly calibrated for it. but pick up a higher adapter for more juice and you're stoned like a motherfucker :D

the wdz etc. do not do bags whips etc. but you can use them through a bong-- the stems fit perfectly with 14.4 gong joints and ime, the bong gives very tasty hits and massive vapor clouds (too big too hold all of it in)

yes, there are vapes out there that do both bag and whip. the zephyr ion i spoke of earlier does it and i think the extreme is the other one. there might be more. go to the vape specific threads and start reading them-- all the info you need is out there. best of luck. :leaf:

obelisk,

lwien

obelisk said:
But, they are perfectly calibrated to a lower temp for a headier high.
Great advice, obelisk. One thing that I'd add is that I've had my PD on for 24/7 for about a year now and it has gotten quite a bit warmer. All the abv now comes out a very, very dark brown. Used to be golden brown. This really has to do with the wood and how it ages. I know the same things have been reported with the Zaps. Don't know about the WDZ.

lwien,

lwien

civre4monkey said:
Iwien, of the vapes that you own which one do you like best?
Efficiency is really important to me, so, for me, I like the PD the best.

lwien,

civre4monkey

The Vapist
Well more research has lead me to another decision: of the pd-style vapes, is the pd, wdz or mz the best?

Gotvape is the only site I can find with PD and its backordered 14+ weeks. Fuck that.

I read the threads and people say not to ask about WDZ vs. MZ cause it starts a "shitstorm". This shitstorm would probably help out alot in my decision, too bad I cant find it. I dont mind arguments anyhow, so which one is better?

civre4monkey,

obelisk

civre4monkey said:
Well more research has lead me to another decision: of the pd-style vapes, is the pd, wdz or mz the best?

Gotvape is the only site I can find with PD and its backordered 14+ weeks. Fuck that.

I read the threads and people say not to ask about WDZ vs. MZ cause it starts a "shitstorm". This shitstorm would probably help out alot in my decision, too bad I cant find it. I dont mind arguments anyhow, so which one is better?
well, i use the wdz personally and can vouch for both the device and the customer service behind it from Todd. I went for the wdz because I did not want to wait 14 weeks for my first vape too. I will probably pick a billy bowl and some buzzbutter from the PD crew at some point, but don't regret buying the wdz at all!

Rick the owner of MZ seems like a great guy as well and most MZ users vouch for the Zap and Rick wholeheartedly as well, but I have no personal experience with that company myself. Rick is a cool old school stoner in his 60s who turns some very nice looking wood. i'd love to buy something from Rick soon.

To be honest, it's really up to you-- whichever way you go, you won't regret it.

obelisk,

lwien

Ok. I think I can state this without causing any drama here.

Being that the PD is out of the question for you, it's between the WDZ and the MZ.

Some people are concerned with the fact that the bowl and the heat exchanger in the MZ is made out of brass, and typically, there is lead in brass, so to some, they are concerned about that from a health standpoint. Others will state that at the low temps we vape at, that that should not be concern. You're call on that.

The MZ has been around for a long while and Rick offers some of the best customer service in the business, so MZ has built their reputation over time and it's well deserved. WDZ is a brand new company and they are in the process of building that reputation, but until some time has passed, the jury is still out. The WDZ, however, does not use brass in their construction, but uses stainless steel instead.

Also, different woods are used as well as a different aromatherapy caps. Some woods are more prone to cracking than others over time, but mainly what we're talking about here is subjective aesthetics.

I believe that those are the main differences and I've tried really hard not to paint either vape in a negative light. Functionally, I would think that they are about the same.

lwien,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
civre...If I could only have one vape, it would be my PD. That being said, if you are looking for something that will bitch slap you over and over again, my SSV is the shit. From what I've heard, DBV is real close to it and in your price range.

I'd say get a WDZ/MZ if you highly value efficiency, and DBV if you more value getting punched in the face. Both vapes will smash you, but with the PD type of vape you will spend more time getting there.

stickstones,

civre4monkey

The Vapist
Okay. Im pretty much set on getting the MZ since, well, my mac cant even open the WDZ website properly (sketchball shit) and MZ is cheapest. American brass doesnt usually have lead in it, and if it does Im fucked anyways cause I have played the trombone (brass instrument) for almost 7 years now. Jazz musicians die young but I dont think its from lead poisoning.

I still dont understand how these PD style vapes work as far as the bowl goes... you put the herb in the silver part of the stem?

civre4monkey,

lwien

civre4monkey said:
I still dont understand how these PD style vapes work as far as the bowl goes... you put the herb in the silver part of the stem?
Yup. Then stick stem in vape and suck. Easy peezy !!!

lwien,

obelisk

awesome, Rick has some really nice wood, you should get a very good looking piece. do remember to post pictures if you have a camera once you get it. Happy vaping man!

PS- Todd DOES need to fix his website!

PPS- use linux instead of a mac! :D

obelisk,

civre4monkey

The Vapist
I'll be sure to post some pics. :D

Now I know that I'm buying an MZ (Ill send the paypal tonight most likely) but a few people on this site complain about the MZ not getting hot enough to produce thick vapor, even with a 13.5V adapter. I was gunna ask Rick in an email if he can insulate the heating element (or something like that) to make the vape hotter. What do you guys think?

civre4monkey,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
civre4monkey said:
I'll be sure to post some pics. :D

Now I know that I'm buying an MZ (Ill send the paypal tonight most likely) but a few people on this site complain about the MZ not getting hot enough to produce thick vapor, even with a 13.5V adapter. I was gunna ask Rick in an email if he can insulate the heating element (or something like that) to make the vape hotter. What do you guys think?
Another urban myth (IMO)

During the break in period, I would say that I wanted my Zap to get warmer. I got the coozie, I got the 13.5 and I got (small amounts) of combustion. Dont believe the hype - you will get PLENTY thick vapor from this unit once you get the correct draw down (and even more with some tubing for vapor leverage)

Even before it was broken in completely, I STILL got decent clouds from this vape. But remember - this vape wasnt designed to give cumulus and sirius stormclouds. (But it does its job nicely) Im willing to bet that you will be happy with the 12 AND the 13.5. I still like to pull my 13.5 out from time to time, but nowdays the 12 is more than adequate.

I dont think you will regret your purchase :)

*NOTE* Also keep in mind that bigger clouds dont always mean better utilization. It means less efficient in most cases. As stated by (either Vtac or Max) get a nice high powered light to blow your vapor into - you will be AMAZED at how incredible your clouds really are!

AGBeer,

obelisk

dude, to be honest, don't over think it. i love this forum, but there is so much info here that it is difficult to not say at some point- okay, enough research, gotta decide and go with it already

or, i got that issue anyway.

you will not regret the MZ. but yes, if you are used to smoking the leaf, do spend the extra 15 bucks to get the 13.5v adapter.

some folks say that with enough burn in time, these style vapes will start getting hotter, thereby removing the need (my need) for the higher voltage. however, my piece has been on 24/7 and i've yet to see this happen. i guess the burn in period is supposed to be longer than a month cuz i still need my 13.5v (though, i am pretty positive that different types of wood will affect the length of burn in).

but, if i ever notice the device natively reach the higher temps that i love, i will definitely get rid of the 13.5 volts. but until that day arrives- i dare anyone to pry the 13.5v adapter out of even my cold dead hands :D

you got just 3 options for this stlye vape. the PD you don't want to wait for. I can vouch for the WDZ. a bunch of others can vouch for the MZ. just get whatever man, in fact, i'd email both folks and ask them if they have any purty wood available. ask for pics of the wood grain and then decide which you want, you will be stoking and toking either way

obelisk,

Qbit

cannabanana
AGBeer said:
But remember - this vape wasnt designed to give cumulus and sirius stormclouds.
Hehe, close but no cigar. It's cirrus, not sirius. Sirius is a star (the brightest one in the sky). :p:D

Qbit,

Qbit

cannabanana
civre4monkey said:
Fuck it, Ill just get the MZ. :)
Nice 1 - you sure won't regret it. For efficiency, the Eterra-class vapes (PD/MZ/WDZ) are king.

Qbit,

mnmlh

With the 13.5v on my MZ, I can get as close to combustion as possible. Almost black, but not quite. There is no way it could effectively get hotter for vaping. On the 12v, after some break-in time, it cooks a stem-full just right for the heady side of things. I can't really imagine it getting any better with this style of vape, but I haven't tried the other ones.

mnmlh,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Qbit said:
AGBeer said:
Hehe, close but no cigar. It's cirrus, not sirius. Sirius is a star (the brightest one in the sky). :p:D
Surely you cant be cirrus!

LOL Thanks for that :)
Vape on my bretheren... Vape on...

AGBeer,

lwien

AGBeer said:
Qbit said:
AGBeer said:
Surely you cant be cirrus!

LOL Thanks for that :)
Vape on my bretheren... Vape on...
......and don't call me Shirley. :cool:

lwien,
Top Bottom