What should I do with my Stems?

upriver

combustion-free
I try to eliminate them as i grind them, and as the grinder chokes on them, i stop and pull them out, but i don't really worry when small sub-stems get ground up. The vaporizers are amazing in not tasting terrible when a little leaf or stem gets in the mix, unlike pipes. However, I do try pretty hard to remove them no matter how "crystally" they may be. In general the resinous looking things on stems are not trichomes, but other botanical structures that resemble trichomes but are in fact not.

upriver,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
Twd277 said:
* Green Dragon/Tincture. I've never made it or tried it but I've heard pretty good things about it. Anyone have any experience with it?

What the hell is Green Dragon? sounds friggin' epic :p

Why don't you make some Tea :D?

Blackthoven,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Stu said:
HD, I have read your entire bud toaster thread and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have always meant to ask you why you never grind your herb. I've always ground my weed because I have read here (ad nausium) that to get the best performance you need to increase surface area and grinding does this and bla bla. Do you not agree with that consensus? Or is it something specific about the bud toaster that makes grinding unnecessary?

Anyway, good luck with your bud toaster and continued success!!

Cheers

The Bud Toaster vial is a vertical container, so if i grind, the bud all falls to the bottom. The hottest part of the oven tube is in the middle (where the middle of the heater coil is located). So i try to get the bud to be in the middle of the vial in the first part of the vape session when the oven tube and vial are reaching temperature equilibrium.

After several minutes of vaping, i do stir the contents of the vial, which breaks up the bud into essentially a grind consistency, and quite a bit more vapor is released. So perhaps for other vape geometries it makes sense to grind before vaping.

Also, thank-you for your comments on my thread ... i need to do an update, it's been an interesting week.

biojuggernaut said:
I think Hippie does not grind his bud due to the harmful toxins that can come off the grinder and onto your bud. I might simply be speaking from my ass however. Hippe what is your opinion on using sissors?

Actually, i'm more concerned that the trichomes come off the bud and stick to the grinder teeth/pins. And harvesting that hash is more work than i want it invest in that process ... so i just eliminate the problem.

Scissors would be good. i use tweezers to pull apart the pieces of bud and drop into the vial. i also use the tweezers to remove the 400F vial from the oven after the vape session -- so i have them anyway.

Cleaning the hash from the grippers of the tweezers is easy with a knive blade -- which i usually have close.

Hippie Dickie,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Hippie Dickie said:
The Bud Toaster vial is a vertical container, so if i grind, the bud all falls to the bottom. The hottest part of the oven tube is in the middle (where the middle of the heater coil is located). So i try to get the bud to be in the middle of the vial in the first part of the vape session when the oven tube and vial are reaching temperature equilibrium.
After several minutes of vaping, i do stir the contents of the vial, which breaks up the bud into essentially a grind consistency, and quite a bit more vapor is released. So perhaps for other vape geometries it makes sense to grind before vaping.

That makes sense now that I think about your unique glass bowl design. Thanks for clarifying that.

I actually find harvesting from my grinder to be a pretty simple process using qwiso. I get much more than when I qwiso my glass pieces. Then I put the harvested remains in my pollen press and I have a nice little supply of homeade hash for special occasions :brow:

Stu,

danalee48

I'd go for the green dragon. I made a particularly potent batch and two shots of said batch made me feel quite right ;)

Of course this was before a stage production of "Waiting for Godot", and my stage fright dissipated (which is quite an accomplishment for a shy person such as I)!

danalee48,

asquishyapple

AFAIK there's nothing in the stems only in the trichomes "crystals" that may or may not be on the outside of the stems. the trichomes will get you high just like weed no matter what method you use but smoking the stems tends to give headaches but i had a friend who did it once and seemed to be high and enjoying it but those were stems from some pretty dank bud.

asquishyapple,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
i cant believe all the people that toss their stems. :uhoh: my stems (talking about the stems that hold the bud together) are always covered in crystals. all high grade buds should have crystals on the stems.

i have a hash shaker box and it makes easy work of removing the trichs from the stems.

i always get a good bit of keif from the box after im done shaking. id recommend either getting a hash shaker box or just making green dragon.

gettin lifted,

upriver

combustion-free
gettin lifted said:
i cant believe all the people that toss their stems. :uhoh: my stems (talking about the stems that hold the bud together) are always covered in crystals. all high grade buds should have crystals on the stems.

i have a hash shaker box and it makes easy work of removing the trichs from the stems.

i always get a good bit of keif from the box after im done shaking. id recommend either getting a hash shaker box or just making green dragon.

I'd imagine its a case of diminishing returns. Those who either consume or grow vast quantities of cannabis are likely cognizant of the fact that the "crystals" visible on stems are not in general the capped resin-containing type. There are some of those, especially in certain strains, but in general their population is overwhelmed by the non-psychoactive structures. To be sure, a stem does have some THC (and other cannabinoid) content but it is orders of magnitude less than on the calyx or leaf surfaces. You could generalize that and ounce of leaf will yield 50-100 times more usable bubble hash than an ounce of "bud stems". I suspect that more of the resin found on the bud stems is simply due to physical proximity to (and contact with) the calyxes, whom eagerly share their bounty with any structure willing to rub against them.

So if you find a workable yield from shaking stems, more power to you and this is no attempt to talk you out of it. But imagine being able to grow or otherwise acquire all the bud, leaf, and hash that you want... the stems will quickly fall into their rightful place at the bottom of the pecking order. It just doesn't make sense to spend time processing a material with such little promise.

Your mention of an extraction is a good one, as that is so undemanding in terms of labor. However, in my experience the cost of the solvent is not justified for a pure stem extraction. In lean times, I have tried and tried to get anything worthwhile from stems. In rare cases, there were minor victories, but again I believe this has more to do with calyx contact than it does the inherent properties of stems themselves.

Again, if it works for you, keep it up. But I suspect if you shake enough stem to accumulate say a gram of "crystals", and then compare that gram to kief collected from leaf or bud, you will quickly determing that saving stems is not worth the trouble.

In my own routine, I will say that since I have switched to vaporizing, I do not meticulously separate them anymore. I just take a nuglet, stem and all, and grind it. I don't notice "stemless" hits being any better or smoother than those where I grind the whole bud. I believe much of tha bad taste associated with smoking stems comes from higher temperatures, and in a vapor context the stems add nothing offensive and probably nothing beneficial, they are just filler which is time-consuming to remove so I do not bother much.

When I mentioned using stems in my woodstove, I was referring to larger branch pieces, stuff 1/2" or more in diameter and up to a few feet long. It really is spectacular stuff for firestarting, as I am sure any grower with a wood stove has already discovered. The tiny pieces of stem from the base of a bud, I just put in with my ABV container or compost bin if I am thoughtful enough to do so.

Now all that said... just because I do not believe that there is not much vapable goodness on a stem does not mean hope is lost, far from it. Recently I have been hearing more and more anecdotal evidence about the efficacy of tinctures made from stem or root material having incredible medicinal value. Surely more research needs to be done here. I would just say from personal experience that those looking for an obvious mental effect would better spend their time learning to grow or otherwise acquire herb than they would dealing with stem processing. But for pure pain relief, you might be onto something, especially for an oral preparation.

Just wanted to explain why someone might "waste" what you see as a precious resource. Vape well!

upriver,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
i see what youre saying but regardless when i shake my stems in my hash shaker i get keif. it deff is thc and gets you high. but to each their own.

gettin lifted,
Top Bottom