what screen or mesh size to use for kief collection?

2clicker

Observer
ive been checking numerous sites trying to find what mesh/wire size that the MFGs use in their boxes and grinders, but cant seem to find a "range" or whatever

i know a finer screen can produce a more potent kief, but what size is that exactly...?

anyone know?

2clicker,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I've seen wikka boxes listed as having 100 or 120 mesh screens.

Also it's not just that you want necessarily finer, there are different sized trichomes. Indicas tend to have larger ones. You can even get fancy and screen out different grades.

rabblerouser,

Purple-Days

Also mesh size (wire count) isn't the only factor. Wire diameter is a consideration.

50 x 50 x .009 will make quick work of dried trim in a jar. The first batches will be the best and the longer you aggitate the more 'junk' you will get. But a subsequent screening of the later siftings will remove the 'junk' and leave you with the 'blonde'.

Going for nothing but the 'smallest' dust isn't a productive activity, IMO. There is a lot more 'stuff' to be had, that won't 'drop' through a 100 x 100 x .012 screen.

And the first shakes don't yield the trichrome stalks which are very potent in comparison to other plant parts. These can be gathered in the later shakings and are very worthwhile.

IMO there is no reason to try to collect kif from well trimmed buds. It's something to do with trim. Grinders with 'kif catchers' are a bit of a joke IMO. Remember I live where people openly grow in their back yard and buds are buds and trim is sometimes ( I know a guy) just thrown on the compost pile. :2c:

OBTW... "i know a finer screen can produce a more potent kief, but what size is that exactly...?" I really don't see why you would say that. Trichromes obviously develop (grow larger) as the trichrome ages. So the smallest ones are the youngest, or in an area that has the least light and nutrient uptake. Since trichromes mature (ask any grower with a microscope who uses it to judge trichrome color as a sign to harvest)) and since they enlarge with time, the most potent trichromes are not going to be the 'smallest'. And since 'quality' seems to be a factor of color, no screen sizing will yield 'better' kif, IMO. Get a screen that will do the job in a reasonable time frame and resift to remove 'junk'.

Purple-Days,

2clicker

Observer
thanks for the responses

im not one for going out of my way to collect kief, but my grinder does catch some from grinding alone. i dont really ever shake the grinder to yield more. but as it collects down there id like to at least use it.

i have a pollen press on the way. im going to make some cakes/wafers/disks.. whatever you wanna call em. the press i ordered will make .5" wafers which i believe will cover my dabuddhas wands screen perfectly.

thanks again

2clicker,

Purple-Days

My response related more to pints and quarts and gallons of material. Same principles. Good luck . :)
Again, I think fine screen is a lark. :cool:

Purple-Days,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
well, i think going for 'the finest' might be a lark. but certainly for bubble a lot of people are on board for screening out different grades.

I'm just getting started, but definitely some people with the 8 bag bubble sets have talked about breaking things up loosely into cooking hash (possibly at both finest and coarsest sizes), hash for guests, hash for people in the know...and i think they've said which is the best depends on strain

i think a fair amount of that carries over to dry sift?

lots of hash talk at fullmeltbubble, i've just started poking around there, not tons of traffic but all hash more geared toward bubble bags than dry sift tho

but yeah, it all works better with lots of spare trim

rabblerouser,

2clicker

Observer
rabblerouser said:
lots of hash talk at fullmeltbubble, i've just started poking around there,
yeah i read this there:

"When making hashish, you can vary the mesh size from about 65-125 microns (about 120-230 lines per inch). If the particles are larger than 125 microns, they are not very potent. As the particle size decreases down to 125 microns, the potency increases.

At about 125 microns, the powder is what most people would consider good hash. The potency increases as the particle size decreases down to 65 microns. At 65 microns, the trichome particles are at a point that most consider optimal. Particles smaller than 65 microns tend be broken or immature trichomes (medium"

Top Bottom