1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

What materials are considered safe to be used as a heating element?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by rokinsokin, May 6, 2020.

1. rokinsokin

rokinsokin Member

Hello there! I'm designing a vaporizer and wanted some opinions from more experienced builders. Below is the list of materials I feel comfortable using at vaporization temperatures.
    • 316l Stainless Steel
    • Ceramic
    • Glass
    • PURE Brass
    • Quartz?
    • 304 Stainless Steel?
    Am I mistaken on any of these materials, or did I forget any materials? Thanks :)

2. Hippie

Hippie Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard :wave:

Halogen bulbs are a great place to start as the element itself is encased in a glass bubble and fittings are readily available.

A few others I've tried
    Heater cartridges
    Soldering iron elements
    Ohmite resistors
    Nichrome, Kanthal, SS ... ecig wire or mesh

3. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

Brass can be of concern.

Ceramic is too vague of a term, some are very porous, you'd have to know the exact composition which is pretty hard when it comes from Asia. Glazed ceramic is definitely better, you want the surface as close to glass as possible.

For steels the jury is still out. But SS cookware does release some chromium for instance. People with Nickel allergy can have problems with it. There are alloys with less or no Nickel content though like SS430, but usually it comes at the cost of less corrosion resistance, so it depends on the type of application (heater element, vapor path, stem?)

There is some lead in some types of glass but it's unclear whether it's perfectly trapped or if it can leach out.

4. Hippie Dickie

Hippie Dickie The Herbal Cube Manufacturer

materials: borosilicate glass tube for heater oven, nichrome 80 ribbon for heater, thin stainless steel sheet for heat shield. airflow is entirely within glass.

5. GetLeft

GetLeft Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, NewFC has opened a materials thread where the always relevant discussion of material safety can be focused. It's under the medical discussion. Spread the word if you run across simliar conversations. It will be valuable to have a common place to discuss these issues and others related to them. Thx

Summer likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors