• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

What makes FC forums so special?

Krazy

Lifted from my responce to Dynavaper in a different thread.

In my experience those rare, few, special forums share some traits:
  1. Topic based. Things expand out but start from some shared geekyness.
  2. Benevolent Despot. Forums are started by an individual or group fronted by one.
  3. Huge! Forums become so large that new content is a constant.
  4. Lazy Benevolent Despot. Huge forums can't be run by an individual so moderators are enslaved.
  5. Shared culture of "niceness". New members bing reading discover that Admin, Mods, and Old Timers have a default setting of "nice/helpful". N00bs either assimilate or get gone with the value of the shared geekyness meaning even assholes often get nice.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-792

Feel free to add/subtract form the above. And please share specific instances of other members going above and beyond to help each other out.

Last edited:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
^++ I was there! I saw it in that other thread when @Krazy drop that knowledge on @Dynavaper & everybody. And Dynavaper was all noddin' sayin' "MmHmm, word!" That shit was, well, for lack of a better word- KRAZY! Everybody said so.

Truthfully, when I read Krazy's thesis I was nodding in agreement 100%. And I think @just_the_flu is on to something too, I think my wife would certainly agree that FC stokes my obsessions! Anyone else here know what I'm saying?

Anyway, these 2 members illustrate my first point perfectly: Insightful & Honest communication. We have intelligent people coming from many different walks of life coming together, (after agreeing to be nice and respectful) to exchange experiences, enthusiasms, and regardless of the subject at hand there's often an FCer with expertise in the area. I'm a creative person but I'm not bursting with "vape ideas"; Say I have 1 good vape idea/insight a year but here I can leverage all of the good ideas/experience/knowledge shared freely and the likelihood of my success goes right up! FC provides the space for everyone to throw out their ideas for the benefit of all. And there are some smart fuckers (of combustion) around here.

2) Something I noticed early on in my lurking days: every vaporizer on FC worth a damn has a patron saint, maybe 2 or 3. This person is always there to lend a helping hand or explain the nuances and virtues of that thread's topic. They will patiently (usually!) answer the same question they've answered on every page for the last ten. They're not on the company's payroll but they function as first-tier CS/guide. They don't act like they "own" the thread, but their influence on the culture or "feeling" of that thread is felt.

3) Fucking Excellent Mods (FEM) Seriously, they save us from ourselves; they remind us of the rules we all agreed to. Without them, FC's value as a resource and source of good vibes would be seriously diminished. Don't forget, they are regularly called out for public pissing matches by angry members, what fun! And they're not just judge&jury, they are the sexiest moderators on these interwebs! Can't wait for my copy of this year's Hot Mod Calendar, came with my membership dues and I got a space cleared off on the fridge!

4) FC has a wide range of age among members, hardcore vapists all, coming together over the many ways of not combusting this miraculously beneficial plant. Some are rec, some are med; some only use concentrates, others only flower. So many variations on the same theme. I like that at FC, respect flows in all directions. Respect for the elders, respect for the youngers, heck even respect for middle-aged fuckers like myself! Not enough of this in the world today, one must respect others to respect oneself.

5) Along the lines of @just_the_flu but different: FC helps me to not be isolated by pain, I've made friends here with an easiness that just doesn't happen as I've gotten older. Since smiling and laughing is good for one's physical/mental health, FC is good medicine for me. Chronic pain/degenerative illnesses can be rough at times, I have struggled with letting that shit define me. Becoming a part of this community was the best decision I've made in some time, lucked into it really. I never join forums, but this one is different.

EDIT: :smug:

Last edited:

Mirimi

5) Along the lines of @just_the_flu but different: FC helps me to not be isolated by pain, I've made friends here with an easiness that just doesn't happen as I've gotten older. Since smiling and laughing is good for one's physical/mental health, FC is good medicine for me. Chronic pain/degenerative illnesses can be rough at times, I have struggled with letting that shit define me. Becoming a part of this community was the best decision I've made in some time, lucked into it really. I never join forums, but this one is different.

I'm dealing with the same issues. The last months I have only been out of my house for medical appointments and it is damn hard not to wallow in negativity and become a bitter cripple. Vaping and FC are a significant part of my defense plan against this.

By the way if anyone knows of other forums half this active and nice, please++ give your good places on the internet :)

Prolusio

Personally what I like most about FC is the unique sense of community. I feel all the wonderful points listed above by @Krazy and @pxl_jockey really coalesce into forming a unique atmosphere that's hard to find elsewhere on the internet. But I'm not much of a forum person I confess; only really frequent 3 and reddit.

On FC it feels like the moment a new member comments we have a new friend/neighbor to share with.. We already know a little about each other just by being here and it creates a wonderful feeling of already "breaking the ice".

It's kind of like showing up to a concert or museum and meeting someone! That person wouldn't be there if they didn't share some of your interests. Finding common ground is already half way down the path to being friends in my books; so that atmosphere makes it really easy to feel welcome and want to share. I've had several times where members messaged to check up on me after not posting for a while, or to compliment a post.. I dunno about you guys but that doesn't happen to me anywhere but FC.

I like that the forum doesn't have a dislike button, but it does have an ignore.. That means even if you said something that didn't contribute in the way you hoped, you don't have to feel the shame of -1000 points and angry messages. It's really easy to just block someone, unbeknownst to them, and take a few days to forget why you were grumpy. I feel these features go a long way to making an inclusive, non-confrontational place, that still allows disagreement and discussion.

It can sometimes be tricky to debate without antagonizing people, intentionally or by accident.. But FC makes the tools available to you to do your best to follow the cardinal rule of "Be nice. Let’s have some engaging and intelligent discussion.". Which I really feel permeates the entire forum.

The other thing I really love about FC is the way it enables creative people to start selling/developing their ideas.

I've discovered so many amazing people here making unique, hand crafted things that just aren't available anywhere else. FC is one of the best platforms I've found for these people to share their idea, recieve feedback/testing from experienced enthusiasts, then begin a business based on the communities desires.

They can do a sort of soft launch; gradually improving their design and forming a production line for their unique product, all based on customer feedback. It's basically what I always wanted Kickstarter to be without all the BS! It brings me a lot of joy to see some of the businesses/creators I supported here having products pop up on shelves across the world.. Good people who care, making good products; what more can you ask for as a consumer?!

And finally I still have lots of friends I see fairly regularly.. But not all of them share my passion for cannabis. Most of them do not actually. It can be tiresome at times feeling like there's a part of your life you CAN'T talk about without making someone feel uncomfortable.

I might not be into sports, but I'll listen to my friends talk about their teams/games. But that same friend has no interest in my sick new VapCap stem..hand made across the world.. that there's only a few of in existence, with a cap I had custom laser engraved... and it works off fire, but I don't have to use that like a savage because i have this induction thing!... "WHY AREN'T YOU INTERESTED TOM! LOOK AT THIS! THIS IS SO COOL!":argh::shrug:.. Some people just don't care.

But here on FC, I'll always find someone interested in my cannabis journey. It feels really nice knowing there's a place I can go to share my stories and thoughts on something that brings me so much personal joy.. and when I do someone who cares just as much as I do about the topic (or more!) will be the one reading it.

By the way if anyone knows of other forums half this active and nice, please++ give your good places on the internet :)

A little different but if you're into board/table top games.. boardgamegeek.com is an awesome place to go and share your experiences. It shares a lot of the things I love about FC; active inclusive community from across the world with a wide knowledge base.. But with a far superior market! (makes sense when you consider the goods)

I've found soo many good deals on out of print gems and the like. The community is passionate, welcoming, and the people who design board games are very active on the site. But if you're not into board games and the like then it might not be of much interest to you.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
^^^ this. X 1000 this. @Prolusio really brought my thoughts together beautifully to the heart of what I was trying to say: unique atmosphere. It's really unique isn't it? It's not just me being a hippie? :haw:
All he wrote after the opening statement, I found myself nodding in agreement over & over. The bit about sports-loving Tom who cares not for vapcap kick-ass-ness? Who here doesn't have a Tom in their life? All I have around me are Toms. But here, I laugh with fellow FCers over the misunderstanding we must endure. I've used medically for years but FC made cannabis fun again, vaping has been a new grand adventure. Thanks @Prolusio again, I was excited to see your post here as I always enjoy getting your take on things.

Gigsabits53

This has become my "most visited" website, actually its been that way for a while. When I got back in to the magical herb I knew I wanted to vape. I had never even tried a vaporizer in my life. Bought the CFX ,mostly from research on Reddit, and I was off and running. Reddit led me to FC and I have been in love with the forums ever since.

Some of the biggest reasons I love this place:
-- People are civil to each other. I follow some other forums mostly about sports and they are a 24/7 pissing match, some of them anyway.
--People are so helpful here. I have learned so much here from various posters. I was basically clueless on all of this stuff. Basically all of the equipment I have is based on recommendations from FC posters as a whole. You come here and read through a thread and you can gain so much useful info, especially for a potential purchase.
--FC seems to have a wide variety of people from all over the world, male and female, black and white, you get the picture. I value diversity, very important in the current political climate.
-- This has been mentioned but I need you people!! Nobody in my inner circle is even remotely as interested in vaping as I am. They dont care what kind of new device I have, they just want to get high lol. This is really the only place and I can talk about this stuff :)

AJS

Calm Consistency
This has been mentioned but I need you people!! Nobody in my inner circle is even remotely as interested in vaping as I am. They dont care what kind of new device I have, they just want to get high lol. This is really the only place and I can talk about this stuff :)
I agree! Luckily though, my enthusiasm is contagious, and every single one of my friends has made the switch to vaping. Now ... they don't care AS much as me, but bet your ass, when I get a new vape, the "get your ass over here" calls start coming!

Gigsabits53

I agree! Luckily though, my enthusiasm is contagious, and every single one of my friends has made the switch to vaping. Now ... they don't care AS much as me, but bet your ass, when I get a new vape, the "get your ass over here" calls start coming!

My friends could take it or leave it. They have no issues with using my vapes, they just dont care as long as I show them how to use it. I think once they leave or whenever they are not around me they just go back to combusting. I just have to laugh and shake my head. I mean, on taste alone, one should never want to combust again after tasting what the herb really tastes like. Maybe its because I was always a gadget guy.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
My main reason for coming is actually just to talk about cannabis, since I don't have anyone anyone to partake with. I like the non-mainstream vapes that have massive followings here on the site. I've gotten friends to mostly switch to vaping, but some of them switch back to smoking sometimes. I don't even remember what a smoking high is like, but I remember it was different than a vape high. Anyway, I like to discuss vapes and shit, but I don't have anyone that cares to reciprocate with such discussions. The likelihood of me meeting another person who shares that interest or even owns one of the vapes I use is way out there. Like pluto, baby.

Top Bottom