• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

What is the ideal temp for a ceramic d-nail?

TanukiCoast

Fogbound
High fellow FCr's! I recently bought a new 20mm hive ceramic nail to replace the stock ti nail that comes in every kit. I'm concerned about heating the nail too high and was wondering if anyone had any experience with cracks and other damage above 600f, and any general tips for a ceramic newb. Thanks in advance, gotta go the fog's rollin' in :sherlock:

TanukiCoast,

herbivore21

High fellow FCr's! I recently bought a new 20mm hive ceramic nail to replace the stock ti nail that comes in every kit. I'm concerned about heating the nail too high and was wondering if anyone had any experience with cracks and other damage above 600f, and any general tips for a ceramic newb. Thanks in advance, gotta go the fog's rollin' in :sherlock:
You are going to need to use higher temps than I use on the only ceramic (Silicone Carbide) nail that I own since this one is heating from a 20mm coil. 20mm coils are not a quick way to heat ceramic, I found that the one I used to have took a good 10 mins to heat up properly (but was amazing once it was heated up!).

You are likely to need to use 600f-700f on the 20mm coil. The key is to start low, perhaps 550f, do a few dabs (pace yourself lol it gets hard to judge if you get too dabbed out from testing!) and keep increasing the temp til you hit the point that there are no more trails of vapor coming off the nail after the hit, without losing too much flavor from the hit. That is your ideal temp :)

TanukiCoast

Fogbound
You are going to need to use higher temps than I use on the only ceramic (Silicone Carbide) nail that I own since this one is heating from a 20mm coil. 20mm coils are not a quick way to heat ceramic, I found that the one I used to have took a good 10 mins to heat up properly (but was amazing once it was heated up!).

You are likely to need to use 600f-700f on the 20mm coil. The key is to start low, perhaps 550f, do a few dabs (pace yourself lol it gets hard to judge if you get too dabbed out from testing!) and keep increasing the temp til you hit the point that there are no more trails of vapor coming off the nail after the hit, without losing too much flavor from the hit. That is your ideal temp :)

Thanks!, also do I need to do anything special while its cooling to prevent thermal shock?

TanukiCoast,

herbivore21

Thanks!, also do I need to do anything special while its cooling to prevent thermal shock?
You should be good with the speed at which the coil/PID heat up (for dabbing temps that is).

I would be mindful if you heat clean it by turning the coil up to very high temps to do so in steps to prevent excessive thermal shock.

What I mean is to turn up the temp by say 100f at a time when you jack it up from dabbing temp to cleaning temp, so that the coil does not drastically boost the heat from hot to really fucking hot ;)

This is a practice recommended for those using quartz and sapphire halos on euro 220v coils too, which are double wound and more susceptible to uneven expansion etc.

Last edited:

TanukiCoast

Fogbound
You should be good with the speed at which the coil/PID heat up (for dabbing temps that is).

I would be mindful if you heat clean it by turning the coil up to very high temps to do so in steps to prevent excessive thermal shock.

What I mean is to turn up the temp by say 100f at a time when you jack it up from dabbing temp to cleaning temp, so that the coil does not drastically boost the heat from hot to really fucking hot ;)

This is a practice recommended for those using quartz and sapphire halos on euro 220v coils too, which are double wound and more susceptible to uneven expansion etc.

Okay, 3 more silly questions and I'll stop bugging you How hot does it need to get to clean it, do you heat it in a piece or on some heatproof surface, and what does cleaning involve? Thanks for all the info ✌️

TanukiCoast,

herbivore21

Okay, 3 more silly questions and I'll stop bugging you How hot does it need to get to clean it, do you heat it in a piece or on some heatproof surface, and what does cleaning involve? Thanks for all the info ✌️
I would suggest 900-950f for cleaning. I would heat it with the coil itself, just set the coil super hot for a while.

qtip your nail after each dab to keep it cleaner and reduce the time it takes to heat clean your nail.

Sorry it took me a while to respond here, I have been sadly dealing with a terrible loss, which I can't go into further for privacy reasons.

TanukiCoast

Fogbound
I would suggest 900-950f for cleaning. I would heat it with the coil itself, just set the coil super hot for a while.

qtip your nail after each dab to keep it cleaner and reduce the time it takes to heat clean your nail.

Sorry it took me a while to respond here, I have been sadly dealing with a terrible loss, which I can't go into further for privacy reasons.

I'm sorry for your loss, I really really appreciate you answering my questions, and I wish you the best.
Thanks for everything :wave: :peace:

Top Bottom