what is reclaim?

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
Not flower reclaim, I think I have a pretty good idea of what that is...

But dabbing oil reclaim?

You know what I'm talking about...that thick, goey, dark, sometimes smelly, but not necessarily combusted, ashy, or tarry goo that we are always left with after vaping full-melt concentrates.

I have vaped full melts on hot-torched nails, e-nails, various conduction and convection vapes that are more suitable for flowers, that may utilize steel-mesh pads or oil cans, with or without cotton. Also on various types of "vape pens" (all of them are pure crap IMO) and currently, over the past couple of years I do almost all of my dabbing on the divine tribe v2.5 ceramic donut

And various types of melts: wax, budder, crumble, honeycomb, sugar wax, live resin, clear, co2, shatter, and amber hash. (still not rosin yet, for some unknown reason)

Depending on the quality and precision of the vaporizing device, and the quality of the concentrates, there will always be some reclaim oil left. At best, very little, at worst, very messy.

What exactly is this stuff?

9fKQU6c.jpg

Like, what exact chemical compounds is it composed of?

Is it trace amounts of THC and CBD? Also, probably alot of CBN and THCa? Perhaps several other trace, semi-broken down cannabinoids.

Probably very few, if any terpenes?

And...how about....plant crap? Like, dissolved chlorophyll, glycerides, fatty oils, etc.

Anything else I may not be identifying? Harmful stuff?

What is all this stuff?

And how desirable is it this reclaim oil?

And to get more functional... is it possible to vape (not smoke) dabbing-grade concentrates without generating any of this reclaim oil at all? Or any hints / tips on how to minimize the accumulation of reclaim?

It's kind of funny, how I look back to my earliest days of dabbing, when I first understood the meaning of "full melt" :o I was like WOW! It's so magical! :D It's all gone, no residue, no dust, no crust, no ash!

Well, that didn't last too long, and I would excuse this crusty buildup on my "vape pens" due to the inevitable pyrolysis they induce.

Now, with temp control box-mod vaping on ceramic donuts, the user can reliably eliminate combustion to almost non-existent, un-measurable margins. But I still have this stuff left over..... what is it?

TIA dab guys & gals :wave:

Last edited:

Vape Donkey 650

Thanks for posting that up for us ocelot :tup: I went and read through all that, even all the paranoid comments. :D

I would say my little pad of reclaim most resembles the second sample. The results of the cannabinoid contents in their tests seem plausible, but I think my reclaim might be even more cannabinoid-poor due the nature of the device that I reclaim it from.

My ceramic donuts regularly heat up to around 400-420F for brief, repeated bursts of about 4-10 seconds or so. They don't make a fully even heat pattern, (more like 2 semi-circles of heat) and that would be an average heat across the area. It has hot and cold spots. I agitate my semi-melt and reclaim in between hits, moving it to the center with a dab tool or whatever, but after so many hits and scrapes on the same load, some reclaim oil remains.

Even much of that stubborn CBN, vaping off last, around ~390-400F, must be gone.

I'm suspecting what I have left is alot more fatty oils and dissolved plant-ish stuff, since I have to raise temps above 500F to burn (not vape) away this final reclaim to get my donut clean again. Really, you have to switch to VW to clean it off all the way.

As informative as that MCR lab test is, it's only half the picture, for me. They're only looking for cannabinoid content, but their tests varied from 33-65% of total sample mass being cananbinoid content. That leaves alot of room for generic non-cannabinoid content, clearly.

I figure they would have to use a different type of machine to test the sample for those other contents. IDK, a mass-spectrometer... particle accelerator or something? :D:science: Or maybe configure they machine they used in a different way?

Until I figure out exactly what that other stuff is, I'm looking at dabbing reclaim oil with suspicion :suspicious:

It's not like I wanna load this stuff up on a fresh donut anyways, but I've been reading up on quartz bangers, titanium nails, etc, and many people are saying that it's good to "season" your new dab-ware with reclaim oil first.

Wonder why that would be good or necessary? Or to use reclaim instead of fresh oil?

Anyways.... ramble ramble.... :rant: thanks :wave:

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
The best use that I have found for reclaim is to make edibles. I can't take the flavor in any other way. I can refine my infused coconut oil to eliminate most of the foul taste. But there is still a "slightly weedy" flavor in everything that the coconut oil goes into. I have also put the infused coconut oil into capsules for ease and convenience. However, about 20 minutes after eating the caps, I occasionally will burp and taste weed.

Vape Donkey 650

However, about 20 minutes after eating the caps, I occasionally will burp and taste weed.

Ha :D Since we're talking about canna-gas :ko:

I like to make green dragons . . . . you know, your favorite bottle of 80-ish-proof liquor, infused.

A great low-effort concoction.

I just take a bunch of shakes, grind it, let it steep inside the bottle for about a month, then strain it all out and serve. (chilled) Turns my vodka amber brown actually. Gets you drunk and stoney at the same time, :o :science:almost instant, much quicker than edibles!

Side effect: Every time after I have a green dragon shot, the next day, my $h1t smells like flowers :lol: :rolleyes: Friends of mine who I have served these drinks to also confirm this effect :brow: :shrug:

I've never put concentrate into my bottles, sometimes a little kief. A green dragon bottle might be a good depository for a little extra reclaim oil too? Hopefully the non-cannabinoids would be dissolved and strained off with all the rest of the shake leafs. :hmm:

Besides that, I'm just using some of this stuff for experimental and 'tune-in-my-device' dabs.

And for now, I guess the mystery of what are the non-cannabinoid constituents of reclaim oil.... remains open . . . :sherlock:

Vape Donkey 650,
Top Bottom