What does your Cannabis-friendly doctor think (legal regions only)?

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
As you already mentioned, perhaps someday these studies will have been performed and said data compiled.

No self respecting doctor will currently be able to confidently answer any of these questions you are wanting answered because they don't have a pool of data to draw conclusively from.

They can hypothesize the same as any other person can, but any doctor whose opinion you respect will work. A more correct answer will not materialize based on their willingness to give an mj recommendation, again, because the peer reviewed studies needed to draw an informed opinion from, do not exist.

EverythingsHazy

As you already mentioned, perhaps someday these studies will have been performed and said data compiled.

No self respecting doctor will currently be able to confidently answer any of these questions you are wanting answered because they don't have a pool of data to draw conclusively from.

They can hypothesize the same as any other person can, but any doctor whose opinion you respect will work. A more correct answer will not materialize based on their willingness to give an mj recommendation, again, because the peer reviewed studies needed to draw an informed opinion from, do not exist.
Well, I'm sure some of these doctors have done some more research into the subject, and can come to better conclusions, reading the current studies, than the avg. forum member. Also, if they are dealing with people who are honest about their Cannabis usage, due to it being legal, they could put together correlations between long-term use, and certain health issues, in their patients (do life-long users perform worse on memory tests, are life-long users more likely to show Depressive symptoms, etc.).

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Well, no, because of the legal status, it is very difficult to get permission to research marijuana, and so these studies, which would be nice to have done, are not able to be done.

Slowly some of these studies are occurring, but a lot of these answers will be decades away, even if allowed to be researched.

A doctor can make observations regarding correlations in his particular subset of patients, but he/she can't be confident that their observation is backed up by research or what variables might have affected their own observational outcomes.

Things will be different as research is allowed to be done, and as data is collected and reviewed.

Here is a good article arguing what the difficulties (in the US anyways) are towards MJ research:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-expanding-marijuana-research-matters/

EverythingsHazy

Well, no, because of the legal status, it is very difficult to get permission to research marijuana, and so these studies, which would be nice to have done, are not able to be done.

Slowly some of these studies are occurring, but a lot of these answers will be decades away, even if allowed to be researched.

A doctor can make observations regarding correlations in his particular subset of patients, but he/she can't be confident that their observation is backed up by research or what variables might have affected their own observational outcomes.

Things will be different as research is allowed to be done, and as data is collected and reviewed.

Here is a good article arguing what the difficulties (in the US anyways) are towards MJ research:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-expanding-marijuana-research-matters/
By research, I meant reading the many published studies and understanding into what they mean, from a more medically educated perspective.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
@EverythingsHazy

I'm with you man. But that's not how science, of which medicine, works.

They need studies like @C No Ego posted right above, and then just because preliminary evidence is found, these results need to be able to be duplicated in third party studies before the idea actually gains any scientific traction.

Things have been progressing in these past few years and more and more, as mentioned, people will be aware of how cannabinoids interact with our bodies.

Until then, the data does not exist, and the studies that do, you are just as likely to find and read about here, where the community is most passionate about exactly the issues you are bringing up.

EverythingsHazy

@EverythingsHazy

I'm with you man. But that's not how science, of which medicine, works.

They need studies like @C No Ego posted right above, and then just because preliminary evidence is found, these results need to be able to be duplicated in third party studies before the idea actually gains any scientific traction.

Things have been progressing in these past few years and more and more, as mentioned, people will be aware of how cannabinoids interact with our bodies.

Until then, the data does not exist, and the studies that do, you are just as likely to find and read about here, where the community is most passionate about exactly the issues you are bringing up.
What I'm saying, is that while we might find the same studies here, something such as "there is a X% volume difference in the amygdala or hippocampus" means more to a medically trained professional, then the average forum member. A doctor is more likely to know what kind of health effects something like that might cause, the odds of those results being nothing more than correlation, etc..

I know that the studies we currently have aren't as good as they should be, but they are better than nothing. I'd trust a doctor's opinion on them more than just anyone else online who came to conclusions without any medical training.

EverythingsHazy

This my friend is a massive mistake IMO. :2c:
How so? Doctors spend hundreds of hours studying human biology. Most forum members here come to conclusions based on what other forum members say, or by reading a few studies online (often with questionable sources). Just look at how many people, here, think Cannabis is 100% free of negative effects.

biohacker

Although I do agree about what you say about how people here think cannabis is 100% free of negative effects, consider the demographic that mostly visits this forum.

Doctors spend 0 hours studying nutrition, biophysics, and the overall picture of health as the pharmaceutical industry essentially brainwashes and corrupts these poor bright souls. It's a very sad state of affairs, i'd much rather trust people that know how to actually conduct research, there are plenty out there.

The doctor (neurosurgeon) I trust most is Dr Jack Kruse, he knows the real deal, and he's not against cannabis! Dr Joseph Mercola is another (most popular natural website on the net, he is also an MD but practices natural medicine).

Open your mind, MD's are not GODS. And be careful with so called "studies". Alot of the time, common sense trumps all.

Fortunately, my MD doesn't give a fuck about the College these days, and is super pro cannabis, and his wife practices Ayurvedic medicine.... he's non biased, but he's a needle in a haystack.

chris 71

“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.”

Galileo Galilei
:D

something like too many cooks in the kitchen , lol . to many egg heads scrambling for answers , making it more complicated to get the right ones . perhapes ?!?

there are to many varibles to tell what results are from what . and to take any studies as fact especialy when studing brains in the wild lol. especialy with something so advanced as the human brain . and it is very plastic in nature so changes perhapes are not an indication of damage . if thats what your worried about . maybe some damaged brains are working better then some virgin brains lol .
could changes = enligtenment ? maybe whos to say changes couldnt be improvements :rofl:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
There may be FC members who are off-the-charts intelligent who have educated themselves in this area and there are some dumb as rocks doctors out there too. So if you're giving me the choice of a dumb doctor or a brilliant FC member..............................I'll take the FC member for $100 Mr. Tribek

On the other hand I'd take the average intelligent doctor over that brilliant FC member because that doctor is tasked with staying up to date on all things medical not just those cannabis related. Plus there are some states that legalized medicinal that require the doctor to take a course so they can issue a med card and that's better than nothing.

The neurologists I mentioned in my post a ways back were open minded, personable and professional. Our current neurologist was recommended by the neurologists I posted about because he was known to be open to MJ and other more non-mainstream holistic approaches as well as the standards for care and that's what we wanted. No way would I be taking direction from a FC member over these professionals. I may hear something from that brilliant FC member and ask the docs about it but I'm not going to follow the FC medical advice if the doctor says it's wrong.

biohacker

You are your own best advocate. Putting all of your trust in someone with some letters behind their name is unwise IMO. But, some continue to say "how high" when the "authority" says "jump" and drink the koolaid.

Whatever works for you, and let your conscience be your guide. Consider that the government and pharmaceutical companies pay their wages, and the war on cancer is no different than the war on drugs IMO. Most still believe that saturated fat kills when the lipid hypothesis has been proven to be a fucking fraud, even the government has acknowledged this, but people continue to be blind, because they are to distracted by watching "big brother" :rofl:

chris 71

oh damn !! i thought i was in the cannabis effects of the brain thread lol and to think i havnt even had any cannabis in my brain for the last three days lol :brow:

MinnBobber

IMO, very very few doctors know much of anything that is correct and current on cannabis and more importantly the endocannabinoid system (ECS). In talking with some very well respected doctors I found very few that had any knowledge of the ECS which is critical to understanding cannabis.

What do others find with doctors, what % of doctors do you think are knowledgeable about ECS and cannabis?
I'd guess 10% ?????

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
IMO, very very few doctors know much of anything that is correct and current on cannabis and more importantly the endocannabinoid system (ECS). In talking with some very well respected doctors I found very few that had any knowledge of the ECS which is critical to understanding cannabis.

What do others find with doctors, what % of doctors do you think are knowledgeable about ECS and cannabis?
I'd guess 10% ?????

Based on my experience .... somewhere around 33%. I think the ECS is important but given the choice I'll take one with limited ECS knowledge as long as they have some exposure to medicinal cannabis trends and studies. I would of course prefer both.

Edit: My % may be higher than most because we've been dealing with neurology a bunch lately as well as others that may be more exposed to the area. I could be wrong but I don't know if my GP is expected to be a ECS expert but I would think knowing the trends and available cannabis related treatments might be more his expected area.

Last edited:
His_Highness,

EverythingsHazy

Name one illness the modern medical establishment has cured.
The modern medical establishment successfully cures tons of infectious diseases, immunized against others, and treats even more. Many psychiatric disorders need modern medicine to be kept under control, and no, you can't just homeopathically treat many of them, with the same efficiency.

Modern medicine cures many people of cancer, bacterial infections such as the common cold and strep throat (which can easily kill if left untreated), fungal infections, etc. it also makes life with depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorder, etc., manageable. It's prevented millions from dying of small pox and polio. The list goes on.

Remember, doing a 180 from one extreme, just makes you the opposite kind of extreme, and extremes are usually flawed. I don't believe the entire pharmaceutical industry is benevolent, at all, but I definitely don't believe it's all useless. Without modern medicine, we would still be dying before hitting 40yrs old.

I'd guess 10% ?????
This thread is about doctors who are Cannabis-friendly. Usually, doctors who are cool with something, have done some research on the matter. I wouldn't trust a doctor who believes Cannabis is nothing but harmful, to tell me about Cannabis' health effects, due to obvious bias, but one who has studied enough to come to the conclusion that it's ok, is much more likely to know about the ECS.

biohacker

Modern medicine cures many people of cancer, bacterial infections such as the common cold

It also kills hundreds of thousands in just America alone. There is a cure for the common cold now??? :rolleyes:

It's prevented millions from dying of small pox and polio

So has not drinking the very same water that has been shit in. Correlation does not equal causation.

Without modern medicine, we would still be dying before hitting 40yrs old.

I could not disagree more.

Usually, doctors who are cool with something, have done some research on the matter.

Or have much $ to profit from.

Thanks for giving me a reason to unsubscribe from another thread. Your posts are starting to seem the same as the Driving Whilst High thread.
I really need to get a life! :doh:

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
"Cure" means everyone who does it no longer has a particular disease or illness, without aquiring one or 50 horrible side effects. In other words, the illness just goes away. 100% of the time.

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: Alexis

EverythingsHazy

"Cure" means everyone who does it no longer has a particular disease or illness, without aquiring one or 50 horrible side effects. In other words, the illness just goes away. 100% of the time.
No, that's not what "cure" means.
Wiping out cancer on someone who has it, and allowing them to live a healthy, normal length life, IS curing them if their cancer.

Allowing someone who was depressed to no longer be depressed, IS curing them of depression.

Regardless, this thread isn't about everyone's opinion on modern medicine. It's about Cannabis-friendly doctors, and their opinions.

Top Bottom