What does everyone think of tinctures?

C No Ego

I have not used them much but know from research that decarboxylated tincture is an ROS ( reactive oxygen species ) and effects can be similar to vaping in times of bio-availability ETC or Dose response curve...

C No Ego,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have not used them much but know from research that decarboxylated tincture is an ROS ( reactive oxygen species ) and effects can be similar to vaping in times of bio-availability ETC or Dose response curve...

I’m not making my own tinctures. I’m buying them at dispensaries. Combined with vaping, I think they help my medical problems more.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Are you using THC or CBD tinctures? Tried CBD tinctures that really helped with anxiety, but not much help with pain

I’ve tried a lot of different formulations, from several different dispensaries. 1:1 THC/CBD, 5:1 CBD/THC, 9:1 THC/CBD. I like THC dominant and Indica tinctures the best, even for daytime use. They help my pain better, and also my anxiety and depression. I use it at night and it helps my insomnia, although it doesn’t keep me asleep longer than 4 hours.

MinnBobber

I've been using more CBD tincture, for pain and sports injuries etc.
For me, it helps as a preventative agent and after the fact help.

I try to find the most potent, so fewest drops needed.
Hot chocolate CBD shooters hide that nasty taste and smell:
I use about 3 or 4 TBSP of half/half cream for better absorption with the butterfat.
Add some hot choc mix powder and some cinnamon and you have a tastey shooter :)

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I've been using more CBD tincture, for pain and sports injuries etc.
For me, it helps as a preventative agent and after the fact help.

I try to find the most potent, so fewest drops needed.
Hot chocolate CBD shooters hide that nasty taste and smell:
I use about 3 or 4 TBSP of half/half cream for better absorption with the butterfat.
Add some hot choc mix powder and some cinnamon and you have a tastey shooter :)

I always take a whole dropperful and just put it under my tongue. The tinctures I get taste pretty good, actually. Mango, orange, almond, really not bad at all.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I’ve only had home-made, but I’ve been quite dissatisfied with all the batches I’ve made: they have been weak enough(?) that I’ve felt virtually nothing from them, but then, I have the same difficulties with other oral forms.

I had a half a brownie once, that had me blissfully high (*not* stoned) for several hours...I spent it on the floor, doing yoga and playing with my friend’s dogs.

At this point I’m convinced that such things must not only be carefully made, but solidly dosed - weak medicine is not going to make the difference that people need. Dosing needs to be for the patient, not for fool Ofc. Freindly who’s just eaten a pan full of brownies....

I agree w/ the OP that an edible component - even if I can’t feel it - will increase the effect of whatever I vape or smoke, in terms of my own sensations. It makes the effect “bigger” somehow, more impactful...

Last edited:

Tranquility

I’ve only had home-made, but I’ve been quite dissatisfied with all the batches I’ve made: they have been weak enough(?) that I’ve felt virtually nothing from them, but then, I have the same difficulties with other oral forms.
I'm the same way. I've had edibles from the pre-regulatory "adult use" phase, before the severe limitations on dose, and they didn't seem to affect me much. While I haven't tried to really, really, DOSE with edibles to see the result, I've taken far more than those around me and still have had no real results. When vaping, I'm a lightweight. On edibles, a sumo.

I don't think they know why yet. The best theory has to do with hormones and the difference between taking it in through the liver over the lungs. But:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5260817/
The challenge of dose titration is further compounded by the high degree of variability observed in individual responses to ingested Δ9-THC. Clinical studies of dronabinol, an orally administered pharmaceutical stereoisomer of Δ9-THC, have shown that, for some individuals, 2.5 mg is sufficient to produce recognizable effects, while for others, higher doses are necessary—in some cases daily doses exceeding 50 mg (reviewed in Grotenhermen, 2001). Because of this variability, computation of an exact pharmacologic equivalency between a given mass of Δ9-THC contained in smoked cannabis and a mass of Δ9-THC contained in an edible is extremely difficult.

An independent report commissioned by the Colorado Department of Revenue used data from Colorado’s cannabis market and clinical research findings to develop one such metric for calculating dose equivalency across methods of cannabis delivery (Orens, 2015). Application of this metric to laboratory analysis of edibles and smokable cannabis available in Colorado suggests that 1 mg of Δ9-THC contained in an edible produces a behavioral effect similar to 5.71 mg of Δ9-THC contained in smokable cannabis. Current regulations in Colorado and Washington define a single serving of an edible as a unit containing no more than 10 mg of Δ9-THC. In order to minimize risk of accidental overdose, it is recommended that users of edibles gradually up-titrate their dose until they find an effective dose. It is important to note that evidence suggests that tolerance to the intoxicating effects of oral Δ9-THC develops after sustained exposure to high doses (reviewed in Grotenhermen, 2003).

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I make my own tinctures and elixers. Never bought any. They work fine, and much better the better I get at condensing it down. I don't use it much, mostly because I don't think of it. I make it so as not to waste trim, ABV, and bud I don't care for, not so much because I want tincture. Really, I will make more of an effort and try it before bed a few nights. See if it helps with sleep.

ClearBlueLou

Once it’s been through an alcohol extraction, you’ve freed the goo from the plant.
Fat also extracts the goo, the difference is that the the goo is in the fat, not in alcohol.
Neither of these will decarb the goo, that’s a separate step, and ‘requires’ heat.

Decarbing works best as the first step in the process, but you can still decarb the fat-laced goo; once the goo is in alcohol, it inhibits decarb, as decarb requires a min.temp of 200F. Alcohol boils @160F, which keeps the temp down below decarb temp. It can still happen, after the alcohol boils away, but then you have to make the tincture again...

MinnBobber

Does anyone feel the need to consume a fat before taking a tincture? To increase potency?
ME.... I take fat with the tincture. A couple TBSP of half/half cream warmed in the microwave, a dash of cinnamon, 25 mg CBD tincture and voila, a hot chocolate CBD shooter.
I try to maximize the effects so feel fat helps the uptake.

The other option for better absorption is drops under the tongue (sublingual) but my potent, non-flavored tincture tastes nasty

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I find the cbd tincture that I make with cbd isolate and mct oil has no taste just a slightly oily texture.
It has 5 mg per drop and I use it under the tongue 4-6 drops per dose.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Thanks for the replies!

I always put my tincture under my tongue, and the tinctures I buy here are oil based. That probably doesn’t matter, though.

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
Thanks @Vicki for that informative video.

In european medical market alcoholic tinctures are either made from fresh plants (mother tincture) or dried plants. No additives allowed. The final content of ethanol has to be in a certain range, depending on the plant and part of plant. But it is a strongly regulated market.

I think it is important to state what kind of tincture people are using and what additives (terpenes, lecithin, sugars, etc.), if known or unknown.

Alcohol based tinctures are the way to go if you want sublingual uptake. (Sativex is alcohol based IIRC and used as spray for sublingual uptake)
Glycerol based might/should work too.
Fat based might give a little uptake sublingual, but the main uptake will happen in the guts. Theoretically! I feel something pretty fast, too. What are your experiences?

Edit: Italics

I am pretty sure THC-a does decarboxylate in alcohol or fat over time.

Last edited:

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Thanks @Vicki for that informative video.

In european medical market alcoholic tinctures are either made from fresh plants (mother tincture) or dried plants. No additives allowed. The final content of ethanol has to be in a certain range, depending on the plant and part of plant. But it is a strongly regulated market.

I think it is important to state what kind of tincture people are using and what additives (terpenes, lecithin, sugars, etc.), if known or unknown.

Alcohol based tinctures are the way to go if you want sublingual uptake. (Sativex is alcohol based IIRC and used as spray for sublingual uptake)
Glycerol based might/should work too.
Fat based might give a little uptake sublingual, but the main uptake will happen in the guts. Theoretically! I feel something pretty fast, too. What are your experiences?

Edit: Italics

I am pretty sure THC-a does decarboxylate in alcohol or fat over time.

I need to experiment more. I’m still trying to figure out how to dose. i.e.-on an empty stomach or not, with a spoonful of Nutella, or not, etc.

CastIronHits

Slightly Crispy
Rinsing used concentrate jars with a quick wash of 190 proof gives me a clean jar and a strong tincture. Mix that alcohol with equal parts water in a 1 oz dropper bottle and it's good to go. With this on hand I havn't thought about trying to make tincture with buds again. If I notice precipitate in the tincture (normally sticking to the dropper) I'll add more alcohol to get it into solution. This is by far the most flavorful and strong tincture I've experienced.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Rinsing used concentrate jars with a quick wash of 190 proof gives me a clean jar and a strong tincture. Mix that alcohol with equal parts water in a 1 oz dropper bottle and it's good to go. With this on hand I havn't thought about trying to make tincture with buds again. If I notice precipitate in the tincture (normally sticking to the dropper) I'll add more alcohol to get it into solution. This is by far the most flavorful and strong tincture I've experienced.
A most excellent method, @CastIronHits. Do you now find yourself utilizing trim differently, or do you not grow? I look forward to trying your tincture method.

CastIronHits

Slightly Crispy
A most excellent method, @CastIronHits. Do you now find yourself utilizing trim differently, or do you not grow? I look forward to trying your tincture method.

Legal state, no personal grow. Everything I would use for tincture now goes into butter or honey for edibles. Tincture tastes as good as what you put in so I use The Organic Alcohol Company's grape spirit and rosin. It makes for an alcohol tincture almost as smooth as glycerine but much stronger. :drool:

ClearBlueLou

You can see from table 4, below, that THCA conversion reaches 87% after 30 minutes, and I’ll bet you that it hits 90% by the time it cools off enough to use. Extra time in the oven degrades THC into CBN, and cooks off terps and flavor.

decarb-chart2-gif.515442

Top Bottom