What do Californians (and the rest) think of AUMA?

Gunky

No I am not a commercial grower; I do the occasional small medical grow for my own use. However I took the main curriculum at Oaksterdam University, have investigated the economics of small grow, and know people who do commercial grows. Do I have a dog in this fight? Yeah probably because of my breeding activities. But the question is not and should not only be: in the scheme of things how does this harm or hurt me personally? When rich dudes try to pull a fast one and put a lot of people out of work I don't like it.

I cannot conceal how disappointed I am in the callous and cavalier attitude of posters in this thread. Apparently small grow is doomed in CA because of ignorance and the short-term self-interest of consumers.

Last edited:

Tranquility

It has already begun.

Just got back from lunch and saw a billboard for thcdesign.com and they seem a commercial grower. The website is nice and has some interesting corners. As to why they felt the need to advertise on a billboard, I have no idea.

Tranquility,

lwien

It has already begun.

Just got back from lunch and saw a billboard for thcdesign.com and they seem a commercial grower. The website is nice and has some interesting corners. As to why they felt the need to advertise on a billboard, I have no idea.

Here's their vid:

Baron23

We are what we SMOKE???!!?? (About :24) What kind of hacks are those guys?
What is your problem with that? Vape some inadequately flushed herb with metals in it and guess what...you will indeed be what you vape.

I don't know this guy from Adam, but his emphasis on consistent product is, to me, laudable. As an MMJ patient, I want to know when I go back for Grower X's strain Y that its the exact same thing I got the previous month.

I note on their website they list terpene type/qty for their strains, also something I like.

Now, I'm not completly crazy about these folks. I found him touting on his website his wife as Genetics Supervisor with her associate degree in biology to be a bit underwhelming.

But none of this make them 'hacks'.... in my book at least....nor would I consider this to be a big corporate grow operation from the size visible in the video. When the Fed's legalize it and large agro-corps get involved, then you will see what big grows are, IMO.

Cheers

Last edited:

lwien

^^ Agree. Drives me nuts when I get a strain that I've had before and it's nothing like the strain that I had before and that can happen pretty easily with different grow and curing methods.

Also, from the vid, the size of this operation is minuscule as compared to the vids of some of the growers in Colorado. Not even close......These guys are a small mom&pop shop operation by comparison.

Compare their operation, as an example, to this:

And in regards to the big boys driving out the little guys, that too is a bunch of hooey, for if the little guys do it right, they can survive very well along with the big guys. The small growers can tout themselves as "specialty growers" catering to the "boutique" high end market and can therefore price their product accordingly while the Kmart growers will continue to do their thing and promote their product to a different segment of the market. Both can survive and do well but the small growers will have to differentiate themselves. If they can do that, than they're good to go.

Last edited:

Tranquility

What is your problem with that? Vape some inadequately flushed herb with metals in it and guess what...you will indeed be what you vape.
It was a joke. See also: fuckcombustion.com

I don't know this guy from Adam, but his emphasis on consistent product is, to me, laudable. As an MMJ patient, I want to know when I go back for Grower X's strain Y that its the exact same thing I got the previous month.
I completely agree. I remember the story of Savitex (http://www.gwpharm.com/sativex.aspx) and how getting a standardized doses of different strains of cannabis was hard. I think recreational users may enjoy repeatable results as well.

I note on their website they list terpene type/qty for their strains, also something I like.

Now, I'm not completly crazy about these folks. I found him touting on his website his wife as Genetics Supervisor with her associate degree in biology to be a bit underwhelming.

But none of this make them 'hacks'.... in my book at least....nor would I consider this to be a big corporate grow operation from the size visible in the video. When the Fed's legalize it and large agro-corps get involved, then you will see what big grows are, IMO.

Cheers
I completely agree.

MinnBobber

So what is Prop AF?:
Mendocino’s cannabis farmers are at the table. They simply want laws and regulation to protect the future of the most important industry in our county and keep large corporations out of Mendocino.
Tax and regulate to protect from large corps---how??

I'll try to find more but what do folks here know about it?

MinnBobber,

Gunky

And in regards to the big boys driving out the little guys, that too is a bunch of hooey, for if the little guys do it right, they can survive very well along with the big guys. The small growers can tout themselves as "specialty growers" catering to the "boutique" high end market and can therefore price their product accordingly while the Kmart growers will continue to do their thing and promote their product to a different segment of the market. Both can survive and do well but the small growers will have to differentiate themselves. If they can do that, than they're good to go.

The beauty of this opinion is that you can hold it regardless of the circumstances created by the measure. It is nothing more than a fond hope, unmoored from any facts. Whatever the proposition says, you can still pontificate: "The little guys, if they do it right, can survive very well along with the big guys." With six plants? This is my great sorrow, that people come to a judgement about the feasibility of small growing with absolutely no concept of the costs, the profit margins, the impact of the new regulations, and the impact of this measure.

Last edited:

lwien

The beauty of this opinion is that you can hold it regardless of the circumstances.....

I realize that you didn't state that as a compliment but for some strange reason I'll take it as such. ;)

lwien,

Gunky

This is unfortunately the same phenomenon we see with Trump's followers. I guess it is just a truth about human nature: when you tell people what they want to hear they are very likely to believe it, and this is so regardless of the actual truth of what is being said.

Gunky,
Reactions: j-bug

MinnBobber

This is unfortunately the same phenomenon we see with Trump's followers. I guess it is just a truth about human nature: when you tell people what they want to hear they are very likely to believe it, and this is so regardless of the actual truth of what is being said.
The more I read the proposed law, the more positives I find:
- the penalties for grow, distribute, transport, intent to sell change from mandatory felony to misdemeanor.
What's not to like about that? Are cops really going to focus on fricken misdemeanor offenses?

- medical patients --can cultivate as much as required. Sounds good to me.

- Larger cultivate allowed in 2023. You want to be protected forever?? And as legal cannabis spreads, bigger players are coming anyhow
- beyond that, Mendocino County is doing a Prop AF to protect current growers, so get to work on your county

- the unbiased legal summary said most of Prop 64 provisions are modified by a simple legislative majority. So, where does your 2/3 info come from?

I am "disturbed" about your characterization of those that support the prop, including :
callous, cavalier, ignorance, self-interest, unmoored by facts, having no concept of the impact, they are like Trump's followers, etc. I don't think those words foster discussion of the issue.

One could use some of those same adjectives to describe opponents, but we won't :
- self interest as the issue is much bigger than CA. A Yes will help other states in the US AND the worldwide legal movement. Stop thinking of just you :)
- it was put forth that anybody can fake a med issue to get MMJ but many do not want to go this route.
They want legal and not going the fraudulent mmj route.
- Legal CA would be a place where us unfortunate slobs that have no legal or even decent mmj can go to get a clean, legal supply and not buy off the streets. Your neighbors would appreciate a little help here on the vote.

Prop 64 might not be perfect but it's way better than what 40+ states have currently. You don't know/appreciate how good you have it compared to the rest of the world. The glass is 3/4 full.

Our fricken MMJ program has $200 per year reg fee , only 2 producers/ distributors, no flowers and only oils that cost 5X what CA oils cost, NO home grow, product costs that run up to $2000 per month for some patients with no insurance of course.

Anybody want to trade State programs with MN??

MinnBobber

....I do not subscribe to the theory that police need another tool....to stop and frisk black guys...(or women).

Not sure what you mean ? What is the "another tool to stop and frisk"?
Thanks

MinnBobber,

lwien

With that response, I'm outta here. Said all I needed to say. CYA........:wave: (.......holding door open so it doesn't hit me in the ass....)

Im done with a certain poster's attitude of intellectual superiority. But for those others engaged in rational exchange of ideas with respect I present a link to a small farm Mendocino grower who has been a judge and master of ceremonies for presentation of awards at The Emerald Cup for all 13 years, who argues for a YES vote on 64: http://www.swamiselect.com/why-i-support-prop-64/

He says "Much as I might wish certain other details be changed, I must look at the wider picture than my own self interest. Passage of Prop 64 is a symbolic act and an historic moment."

MinnBobber

He says "Much as I might wish certain other details be changed, I must look at the wider picture than my own self interest. Passage of Prop 64 is a symbolic act and an historic moment."

Thanks for the link. It's not perfect but CA legal is a GIANT step forward for many reasons. After passage, work to improve it, but adding mega-CA to the legal total gives the legal cause a huge boost IMO.
CA going legal plus other new legal states would be a reason to celebrate, not perfection but nothing is.

It would help our cannabis brothers and sisters all over the world. They need every bit of help possible.
Picture below of legalize cannabis march/ demonstration in Passau, Germany this year. I had the remarkable privilege to march with Deutsche cannabis activists.
Passau%20demo%20river%20park.jpg

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
• The Dept. of Pesticide Regulation is to issue standards for use of pesticides.
• The state shall establish an organic certification program and standards for recognizing regional appellations of origin (26062-3).

THIS concerns me. They could very easily pull a WA state here and I'd be seeing red.

c'mon, don't play fast and loose with 'organic' like all flavors of manufacturers have done with the label 'Natural'... while this may be a pile of tax money to lots of people, it's our lives (or for many at least it's the quality of their life) so I don't need any pesticides or fungicides in my medicine while I fight a very deadly cancer, regardless of it somehow achieving 'organic' status by edict of the state :(
it is just scientifically absurd on it's face, isn't it?

recovering from the santa ana winds here in so cal...
97F in the fall, been curled up in the corner in the fetal position :(
(they call 'em the Devil Winds for a reason)

I forget who it was who mentioned the carbon footprint, but yeah, you're on the money :(

I'm too tired to see how this meshes with Prop64, but IMHO optimally we:
- shouldn't cause a big odor problem <get them air handlers and activated carbon goin'!>
this applies regardless of an indoor, greenhouse or outdoor grow (sufficient land/distance to neighbor)
- be smart by not advertising your presence to draw in ne'erdowells, have security cams,
fencing and locking access gates
- are using the most efficient form of lighting possible <induction lighting?>,
bonus points for using alternate forms of energy (solar, wind, hydro)
additional bonus points if you're using a greenhouse equipped with blackout panels
gold star kudos if your water supply comes from a filtered rain cache

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
So far I haven't seen any organic flowers at the few state states that I've gone to. I've heard that in WA state the rules are so strict for organic cannabis that it makes its hard for the producers to abide by the ruling.

I used to go to an organic farmers medical cannabis market before the changeover this past July. Prices were very reasonable and we had a very large variety of strains and products to choose from. We didn't know for a fact that the flowers and concentrates were organic we just took their word for it. We will never see cannabis that cheap ever again. Any organic cannabis would be priced pretty high I'm afraid.

Our prices at the cannabis stores aren't as high priced as I was afraid of. It ranges from $10 to $16 a gram. Sometimes you can find ounces for $150. The edibles are so over priced because of the regulations though. I have mixed emotion regarding the changeover from the medical dispensaries. A lot of very wonderful people lost their living.

The medical dispensaries were told early on that the recreational would be separate from the medical. The dispensaries didn't need to worry. So some didn't get their spot in line for a license. Then when they found out they needed to get a license, it was whoever was in line first and qualified. That left many dispensaries that had been in business out of the market. The rec and medical would be combined thanks to our lawmakers in our state. A total of around 556 licenses to sell medical and recreational cannabis were given out.

I had a fav dispensary that didn't close when they were suppose to and was raided by the police. They haven't gone to court yet. This will probably make them ineligible for a license to sell cannabis I'm afraid, if they ever start giving out lisences again. They were on the list but they were further down. Early on they were told they didn't need a license as long as they paid their taxes and followed the rules. They assumed they would be grandfathered in.

What I don't like is people can get a license for the $2000 fee from the state or whatever it is and turn around and sell their cannabis license for like say $250,000. That's what has happened I have read but I don't know for a fact. I haven't seen it first hand. That glitch in the system needs to change if that is indeed happening.

Also clones and seeds haven't been available for the medical patient yet in the area where I live. That was another thing that the state overlooked. Can you imagine, something that important they didn't think of.

There's so much packaging too that's added as you can see. The 4 gram and the other is 2 grams. I wanted 8 grams so I ended up with 4 - 2gram packages of Gorilla Glue. The other is Platinum Girl Scout Cookies. You don't get a good deal buying in bulk unless you want the $150 Blue Dream that they were selling. You can't smell if first because it's already packaged. I bought a 1/2 ounce of Gods Gift in just the one package. The Blue dream would have been great for edibles if I were looking for that.

6aoy7tr.jpg

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
On the medical side in CO, I get my meds from a clean green organic caregiver. It's more than most caregivers/dispensaries say. I take them at their word for it as well, and ironically their meds are cheaper than most others. They have a rec division that is sky high, upwards of $400/ounce. Perhaps that's their bread and butter, and there's more compassionate prices for medical.

lwien

Our prices at the cannabis stores aren't as high priced as I was afraid of. It ranges from $10 to $16 a gram. Sometimes you can find ounces for $150.

What about quality, CK? Has the recreational quality changed from the the quality available at the medical dispensaries? I guess this question may be a bit hard to answer being that I've noticed quality variances between different medical dispensaries as it is.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
So far the quality of what I have been buying seems to be good to excellent. Some seems to be a bit drier than what I had bought at the dispensary. I noticed that the PGSC was packaged back in July. We aren't able to smell before we buy because everything is prepackaged. It has a good smell and taste - it medicates well.:smug:

I'm not yet ready to judge the quality. I just started buying at the state stores. I had bought back at the end of June. I stocked up before the dispensaries closed. I've been to 3 different stores in my area this past month.

Last edited:

herbivore21

^^ Agree. Drives me nuts when I get a strain that I've had before and it's nothing like the strain that I had before and that can happen pretty easily with different grow and curing methods.
One major problem is that before we get to drying and curing and handling of the material, a strain is not a meaningful distinguisher of phenotype (the physical expression of the plants genetics) nor chemotype (the chemical profile that the plant produces). Some varieties have many different phenotypes and some phenotypes from within the same variety can be very different to others.

The same phenotype should give you much more repeatable results (but environmental/epigenetic factors can still lead to variation and even development of new phenos over time). A 'strain name' (more accurately 'variety'), if applied accurately (ie: isn't just some grower making up a word to name their bud grown from unknown bagseed or such), all you have there is an idea of which possible phenotypes you might have.

Until dispensaries (and the culture for that matter!) stop thinking that strain names are a meaningful descriptor of the effects/smell/appearance you can expect from the material - this problem where we buy a 'familiar' strain only to find out that it is not the same in flavor/smell/effect/all of the above will persevere.

Top Bottom