What do Californians (and the rest) think of AUMA?

Tranquility

Stay classy Kushy Punch...

https://www.ganjapreneur.com/kushy-punch-raided-authorities-allege-unregulated-market-dealings/
A licensed California cannabis company is accused of manufacturing products for the illicit market after the Department of Consumer Affairs served a search warrant last week at Kushy Punch’s Los Angeles facility, according to a Leafly report. Authorities seized gummies and disposable vapes in the company’s packaging in the enforcement action.

Bureau of Cannabis Control spokesperson Alex Traverso told Leafly that the agency confiscated “thousands of illegal vape carts worth millions of dollars.” The seizure comes amid a nationwide breakout in pulmonary illnesses that have been linked to cannabis and nicotine vape products.

A source told Leafly that the company had two manufacturing facilities – one for legal, and one for illegal products. The source claims that the illicit market products are manufactured using “untested black market oil that is heavy in pesticide.” The BCC was informed of the illegal facility based on a tip that “checked out 100 percent.”

“Based on the tip, there is a legal side of things and an illegal side of things. We’re still investigating both sides of the equation. If this is something we’re seeing linked back to someone who has a license I would be surprised if they had a license much longer.” – Traverso, to Leafly

Ruben Cross, CEO for Kushy Punch, said that the allegations are “completely false” in an email to Ganjapreneur. “BCC went into an old storage warehouse and found two-year-old disposable vapes with dead batteries than have been off the market even before regulations came around and they assumed we are selling vapes to the black market,” Cross said.

Kushy Punch provides products in both the medical and recreational markets.

NORML co-director Ellen Komp told Leafly that the trend of companies selling products illegally “started happening … when California’s pesticide regulations kicked in.”

“It stands to reason that not everyone might have destroyed all their expensive products [that wouldn’t have passed testing],” she told Leafly.

There has been a long-standing rumor in California about licensed operators who deal in the state’s unregulated cannabis industry. The investigation is ongoing.​

cpk

Brother of the Leaf
Socal has these blackouts and claim it is due to high wind. Word is their equipment is the real reason and they are trying to avoid these fires being blamed on them.

Tranquility

Socal has these blackouts and claim it is due to high wind. Word is their equipment is the real reason and they are trying to avoid these fires being blamed on them.
There is a law in CA that says "privately-owned" "utilities" are "strictly liable" for "any" harm caused by their equipment. That is strict liability so, there is NOTHING the company can do to prevent liability. Acting reasonably is not good enough. Spending extra to make everything perfectly safe BUT, one thing no one ever thought could happen happened and a fire started is not good enough. Strict liability. Just like if you were working with explosives or had wild animals caged on your property.

The big fire happened and, while the company would not be liable under negligence, under strict liability they were. At least one company went bankrupt to pay for the damage. Cool beans, they'll just ask the PUC (public utilities commission) for higher rates to pay for the damage. The request was denied.

Except...the government can't just let a utility go bankrupt because, if they're not making any money, they're not going to deliver the stuff. That stuff can be gas or water or electricity, but, if you can't afford to deliver it it does not get delivered. Voters want electricity, water and gas though.

What to do?

Utilities said the rules were silly. We can't win. So, we'll just reduce the chance of fire that could possibly be sourced to their equipment by turning it off on windy days. Solar cells are off too, unless you have a house battery, as we cannot have the risk of the power on the line.

CA becomes a third world nation when the wind blows.

It's not the utilities' fault. Gas is over $4.00 a gallon and is said to be going up here. Almost all of the rest of the country is far less. What accounts for the difference? Our Govenor (Nancy's nephew) has formed a committee to see why gas is so high here. Other than the winter/summer blend, air board resources regulations and incredibly high taxation designed to fund the roads but that goes to a train that will never run and to pensions, it must be market manipulation.

At least that's what the government says. I suspect the cause of both problems is the same. Especially since one "problem" (high gas price) is a goal of some, I might look there first.

cpk

Brother of the Leaf
SCE will be having their rate case for 2021 coming to a decision. They need more troops on the ground for inspections and cutting back of vegetation. The CPUC needs more thorough inspections. The inspectors are getting better and more knowledgeable as I have witnessed, which even included video taping of inspections and testing. Funding the train to know where is total BS. Well I am glad I am not part of SCE as I am with IID(Imperial Irrigation District) and need medical equipment during the day so that is a huge relief.

Tranquility

SCE will be having their rate case for 2021 coming to a decision. They need more troops on the ground for inspections and cutting back of vegetation. The CPUC needs more thorough inspections. The inspectors are getting better and more knowledgeable as I have witnessed, which even included video taping of inspections and testing. Funding the train to know where is total BS. Well I am glad I am not part of SCE as I am with IID(Imperial Irrigation District) and need medical equipment during the day so that is a huge relief.

Good news and bad news. The good news is that, because they are not an "investor owned" utility, but a governmental one, they don't have strict and unlimited liability on anything that can possibly be related to their equipment so they have no need to reduce revenue and turn off the power.

Bad news is that, rather than strict liability, your rights to actual things that go wrong are prevented by "governmental immunity"--where you have to ask the government for permission before you can sue for anything.

You have power, but, if something goes wrong in a fire, you won't have IID to kick around.

(I will omit a discussion on the CA torts claims act which may or may not give some rights to sue. However, it has never been used on any but an individual basis so it would be interesting to see what would happen if a governmental agency actually caused a fire that destroys things on a widespread level.)

Tranquility,

Tranquility

And of course you need natural gas to produce electricity.
Electricity? We're beyond that.

https://babylonbee.com/news/progres...first-state-to-eliminate-electricity-entirely
SACRAMENTO, CA—California is being heralded as a progressive utopia after eliminating electricity entirely.

Working by candelight at his desk, Governor Gavin Newsom signed a new law that bans electricity, propelling the state into a progressive futuristic paradise. Newsom said he got the idea while experiencing the latest round of rolling blackouts in the state. He decided to make the blackouts the law of the land.

"Other, backward states still use carbon-heavy electricity, gas for heating and cooking, and wasteful air conditioning," he said proudly as people applauded around him. "But not on my watch. California has progressed beyond these archaic concepts."

The law also bans vehicles, forcing pedestrians to use innovative new horseless carriages.

Next on the legislative docket? The elimination of water-wasting toilets, to be replaced by just going on the sidewalk. A pilot program in San Francisco has been very successful, according to the homeless population there.​

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Free cannabis for ill Californians and 7 other laws Newsom signed to regulate marijuana

California Gov. Gavin Newsom handed a win to the cannabis industry over the weekend when he signed a law allowing marijuana businesses to claim state tax deductions.

It’s one of eight laws he signed in the closing weeks of the legislative year aimed at fine-tuning the 2016 ballot initiative voters passed to legalize cannabis and at helping state-registered marijuana companies compete with black market dealers.

Tranquility

I think it's the same as the Mexico legalization issue, all the wrong people got paid off and they need a "do-over".

https://mjbizdaily.com/l-a-council-...-shockwaves-through-worlds-largest-mj-market/
More confusion was added to the mix in Los Angeles this week over the city’s latest marijuana business licensing round after City Council President Herb Wesson called for the process to be redone, thus throwing into doubt the fate of 100 highly coveted cannabis retail licenses in the largest MJ market in the world.

Some winning applicants, in response, threatened to sue the city if the initial results are scrapped.

But industry officials applauded the move, saying last month’s licensing round had been flawed.

In a letter to the L.A. Department of Cannabis Regulation (DCR), Wesson recommended that:

• The roughly 800 retail marijuana license applications submitted last month be suspended.
  • License applicants be given a refund for their fees.
  • All invoices sent to winning applicants be canceled.
  • A third-party audit be performed to ensure the licensing system has been working properly.

“It is paramount that the application process have the utmost integrity, be transparent, and fair,” Wesson wrote. “There appears to be no scenario in which the Retail Round 1 process can meet those three principles currently.”
Wesson cited an admission by DCR Director Cat Packer last week that two applicants were able to get into the application system before 10 a.m., the designated start time for filing applications. As a result, Wesson said, the entire process was “compromised.”

In an emailed statement to Marijuana Business Daily, a DCR spokeswoman said the agency is “committed to the most fair and transparent process possible. We’ll be meeting with the Council President’s Office soon to discuss their recommendations.”

Packer said last week that the two applicants that gained early entrance were detected by her staff and the candidates’ places in line for applications were adjusted accordingly to a start time of 10 a.m....​

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Over 400 California marijuana business licenses suspended, injecting fresh uncertainty into state’s cannabis industry

California has suspended more than nearly 400 marijuana business permits, temporarily paralyzing roughly 5% of the state’s legal cannabis supply chain ranging from retailers to distributors.

Those companies must cease all sales transactions until their licenses are reinstated to “active” status, leading one prominent trade group to criticize the state for temporarily reducing the number of legal shops.

Tranquility

Over 400 California marijuana business licenses suspended, injecting fresh uncertainty into state’s cannabis industry

California has suspended more than nearly 400 marijuana business permits, temporarily paralyzing roughly 5% of the state’s legal cannabis supply chain ranging from retailers to distributors.

Those companies must cease all sales transactions until their licenses are reinstated to “active” status, leading one prominent trade group to criticize the state for temporarily reducing the number of legal shops.
A dispensary I use fell under the license suspension for failure to train in track and trace. When I went in, they got their license back after sending the people for training.

They were trained poorly.

After about 15 minutes of the budtender trying to input a sale of an 1/8th, I told them I was OK and they could keep it. I left and, in less time than I spent in waiting (including travel), had what I wanted from another dispensary. The ones who lost their license (for an infinitesimal moment) did not put in the effort to do things all legal like and lost a customer. I like the new place better and I wouldn't have tried it but for the snafu on worker training at the dispensary I usually use.

It just goes to show there is weed all over town. Legal weed. (Lots of...less legal and cheaper, too.) Getting a dispensary license is not a guarantee you get drug lord money for no effort. Until we get the genetic components down where we get precise weed for the user and/or a bunch of boutique providers bringing out hand-massaged buds of consistently superior quality, weed is weed. It's going to be an agricultural product that many can produce well and there's going to be business competition to see who comes out on top. I recommend focusing on service unless they can differentiate on product. In today's market, I don't see how to differentiate on product. (Then again, that's why I'm not in the business.)

Tranquility

Bottom line; market sucks, it's the government's fault, and it can't be fixed because the state already loves cannabis money and refuses to put any on the table unless you pry if from their cold dead hands. (The good news is, money on the East Coast is ready to fly in and pick up properties for pennies on the dollar when the whole shebang goes down.)

https://mjbizdaily.com/california-marijuana-market-has-no-clear-path-forward/
California’s cannabis industry continues to struggle with problems that remain much the same since early 2018 when the state transitioned to a legal market – and no clear solutions have yet emerged.

At a two-day marijuana industry conference in Long Beach, California, this past weekend, state regulators and industry insiders mingled to lament those familiar business hurdles:

• A lack of overall marijuana licensing opportunities.
  • Significant barriers blocking unlicensed cannabis business operators from transitioning to the legal market.
  • Widespread bans on commercial marijuana activity by a majority of the state’s municipalities.
  • High tax rates pushing consumers to the illicit cannabis market.

Many ideas were floated during the State of Cannabis conference, but little consensus emerged to provide a clear-cut way that California’s cannabis industry can best address these longstanding challenges – in addition to the vape crisis that emerged this year.
Several attendees raised the possibility of yet another statewide ballot measure to lower California’s cannabis taxes or require more legal marijuana retailers.

That potential legislation would serve as a sort of sequel to Proposition 64, which legalized growing, selling and possessing marijuana for recreational use in California in 2016....​

Adobewan

Illegal pot sales outpace legal cannabis in California

California’s marijuana industry is undergoing some severe growing pains -- and it’s much bigger than just licensing permits.

Nearly two years after recreational marijuana became legal in California, the black market is still much bigger than legal sales of marijuana.
With licensing fees, taxes, overhead, etc making legal cannabis considerably more expensive than black market, packaging that keeps people from examining the product, and that fact that many cities don't have dispensaries, the balance is crazy skewed.
With a product that can be considerably more expensive than alcohol already, choosing to go with the added costs of legal cannabis is probably a tough choice for people on a budget.

Hoping for the day when farmer's markets proliferate like Starbucks.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
With licensing fees, taxes, overhead, etc making legal cannabis considerably more expensive than black market, packaging that keeps people from examining the product, and that fact that many cities don't have dispensaries, the balance is crazy skewed.
With a product that can be considerably more expensive than alcohol already, choosing to go with the added costs of legal cannabis is probably a tough choice for people on a budget.

Hoping for the day when farmer's markets proliferate like Starbucks.

Do you see much difference in price between licensed and unlicensed SoCal shops? I feel like the grey market shops in my area want just as much coin as the rec shops, regardless of all the money they are saving.

I was at a rec shop last week that was selling both pre-packed flower AND tending out of jars which I have not really seen before, AFAIK that's not rec legal but maybe I'm wrong.

Tranquility

The market's not working. What can we do to fix it? Raise prices!

https://mjbizdaily.com/california-m...-amid-worries-over-state-industrys-viability/
California marijuana tax hike puts future of legal market in spotlight amid worries over state industry’s viability

Published December 9, 2019 | By John Schroyer

Flurries of meetings and negotiations have occurred behind the scenes in Sacramento since California announced a cannabis tax increase last month.

The stakes surrounding these discussions – all aimed at lowering the marijuana industry’s tax burden – are nothing less than the survival of the state’s legal marijuana market, according to some industry watchers.

Representatives from multiple cannabis companies and trade organizations spoke with staffers in Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office, the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) and multiple state legislators with the aim of shoring up political support to lower tax burdens on legal marijuana businesses.

Among the proposals floated were:
  • Asking Newsom to order the CDTFA to cancel the tax increase.
  • Persuading the agency to postpone the tax hike.
  • Discussing prospective legislative measures to either simplify state cannabis taxes, lower them or both.
“We’re trying everything we can,” said state Assembly Member Tom Lackey, a Republican from Palmdale who sponsored unsuccessful bills in 2018 and 2019 to temporarily lower California’s marijuana taxes.

The lawmaker sent a letter to the CDTFA after the tax increase was announced to request more information about how and why the agency calculated the increase was necessary. But, as of last week, he had received no response.

Lackey said if the tax increases announced by CDTFA are allowed to stand through 2020, it’d sound a “death knell” for California’s legal marijuana industry.

Various options

Perhaps the biggest question mark in the tax equation is what the governor will do.

Newsom spokeswoman Nicole Elliott tweeted in late November that the governor is “sympathetic to the challenges faced by legal cannabis operators” and wants to work with stakeholders.

Industry insiders said they’ve received support from the Newsom administration but no firm policy position commitment yet.

“Things are changing every day, but I’m feeling cautiously optimistic that we can get something done” on marijuana tax reform in 2020, said Amy Jenkins, lead lobbyist for the California Cannabis Industry Association (CCIA), which outlined its concerns in a recent letter to Newsom.

“There have been a lot of signals from both the administration and the Legislature that they’re committing to do that.”

But the question remains what will be done – and in a timely manner so legal businesses don’t start failing or laying off employees.

Lackey and others speculated Newsom may have the power to order the CDTFA to either delay the implementation of the tax increase or to cancel it altogether.

Perfect Union – a vertically integrated cannabis company that has dispensaries in Sacramento and Marysville – sent a letter of its own to Newsom pleading for tax relief.

“Ultimately, the governor is in charge of the CDTFA and oversees it,” said Caity Maple, vice president of government affairs for Perfect Union.

“The governor has the authority to go in and say … ‘We’ve decided as a state that we’re either going to postpone this or for now cancel this.’”

Elliott, however, said that’s not an option, and pointed to laws established by both Proposition 64, which legalized growing, selling and possessing marijuana for recreational use in California in 2016, and Senate Bill 94, which brought the state’s medical and recreational programs under one umbrella in 2017 (the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act).

“The governor is not given carte blanche to simply ignore these legislative mandates, and it is a dangerous precedent to suggest he do so,” Elliott wrote in an email to Marijuana Business Daily.

She said the best way to address the issue is through the Legislature.

Jerred Kiloh, president of the United Cannabis Business Association (UCBA), said he’d received the same message from both the governor’s office and from talks with CDTFA Director Nick Maduros.

“(Maduros) was like, ‘The only way you can do this is through legislation.’ And that’s kind of what the governor’s office is saying, too,” Kiloh said. “We’re going to have to do legislation that’s going to override (current state law).”

Legislative fix?

Moving a tax bill through the state Legislature could take up to nine months, Kiloh estimated, and in the interim, companies could continue to lose money and possibly go under.

He suggested the conversation should shift to conflicting mandates within Proposition 64, which established the current tax structure but also required that the state eliminate the unlicensed marijuana market.

“If there’s a statute that says, ‘You can’t (enlarge) the illicit market,’ and you have a statute that says, ‘You need to charge us 15% (in excise tax),’ which one supersedes the other?” Kiloh said.

“We need to start looking at each of these provisions and ask, ‘Why does this tax supersede the intent of this law to stomp out the illicit industry?'”

Some industry watchers say the next step likely could involve a tax-reduction bill, either from Lackey or another industry ally such as Oakland Democrat Rob Bonta.

That could take the form of a temporary tax reduction – which both Lackey and Bonta have previously proposed.

Or it might entail a radical restructuring of California’s marijuana tax system to include a single tax collected at the retail point of sale – an idea some stakeholders are already pushing.

However, any stand-alone tax reduction bill would need to meet the tough threshold of two-thirds support in both chambers of the state Legislature.

If that doesn’t gain traction, then a marijuana tax reduction could get worked into the state budget, a process over which Newsom has a lot of control.

Jenkins, the CCIA lobbyist, also reiterated that a highly anticipated report on state cannabis taxes from the Legislative Analyst’s Office is due in mid-December, which could provide even more ammunition to persuade lawmakers to ratchet down taxes.

Jenkins said there’s “more appetite for tax reform this year than ever” inside the Capitol. CCIA has made the case to Newsom’s office and legislators that the legal marijuana industry is on the brink of failure, she added.

“We’re talking about layoffs, the fact that the industry has constricted pretty significantly, the fact that capital is drying up,” Jenkins said. “The industry is really struggling … and I think there’s a recognition of that finally among the majority of our legislators.”

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Although not strong enough for me, I found these "pouches" that you use as if they were snuss: you place a pouch between your cheek and gum. It contains 4.41 mg of THC and 16.49 mg of CBD. Claims quick absorption. I bet they make good stocking stuffers. Cannadips out of Humbolt. It's the thought that counts: they don't have to work.

Last edited:
macbill,
Top Bottom