What box mod are you using / recommending for on-demand convection 510 vapes?

BigJr48

Yes, eight solder joints on this build, plus you have to seat the delicate screen ribbon in a tiny connector on the board. It's not nothing, getting everything to fit is a puzzle, but a first-timer w/ a $15 iron could do it.

Can I pay them extra to assemble it for me? Is the DNA chip from Evlov?

hippogriff

Can I pay them extra to assemble it for me? Is the DNA chip from Evlov?
Lots of mod builders out there, certainly someone you can pay, the two shops I've been using (analogboxmods.ca and dripp3d.com) are small operations and likely available to build for more $. Are you attached to this chip/battery/enclosure setup in particular? If not, you can find DNA75-based manufactured mods for less than a small shop would charge, too. Almost too many choices, really, but Evolv gives the most builder support by far, and has the best reputation for on-board charging, and a developed interface for customizing the software, etc.

I did not go the cheapest/easiest route, I just wanted what I wanted and had the tools from my other work.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Those who have a DNA mod. Is there a fire button timeout?

Just wondering how it compares to cruise control on the evic

oddjobold,
Reactions: BigJr48

Summer

Long Island, NY
How about someone explaining in detail (baby-talk) what exactly cruise control is & how it works on the vape. The splinter waitlist is gonna start & I believe the iHeat is underway (don't quote me, maybe pre-orders) so us newbies have to be brought up to speed. [(I'm thinking of you, too, @cybrguy & your vast knowledge of mods. :p;)] For me, I'm gonna go re-read this thread along with the Splinter & iHeat threads for comprehension this time around & ask my baby questions as I go along.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
How about someone explaining in detail (baby-talk) what exactly cruise control is & how it works on the vape. The splinter waitlist is gonna start & I believe the iHeat is underway (don't quote me, maybe pre-orders) so us newbies have to be brought up to speed. [(I'm thinking of you, too, @cybrguy & your vast knowledge of mods. :p;)] For me, I'm gonna go re-read this thread along with the Splinter & iHeat threads for comprehension this time around & ask my baby questions as I go along.

Double tap - vape is always on. Turns a vape in to a session style.

I just want to know of there is a timeout on DNA.

duff

Well worn
As a public service announcement, I've been using my Splinter for a bit now and wanted to chime in on one thing.
If you will be going through water i think getting a mod with a centered 510 connection may be beneficial for the longevity of the vape.

When upside down and inserted into the glass, the uneven distribution of weight adds unnecessary stress to the 510 joint as well as where the threaded 510 fitting attaches to the wood.

I don't know if it is really an issue but it is something that I am reconsidering.
If you won't be using it upside down it shouldn't be an issue.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@duff, if I'm using a bubbler that has a female centered joint on top of the can like these (courtesy of @Stu) it shouldn't be a problem, right? My intial mod won't be centered, but I don't want to put the cart before the horse until I can make an informed buying decision. And I surely ain't at the point yet. I want to buy wisely & only once -- $$.

5gOvHR3.jpg

Summer,
Reactions: BigJr48

duff

Well worn
It's not about tippage @Summer. It's about the weight of the mod with batteries on the vape.

My SmoAnt Charon isn't light and half of it is overhanging to one side on the Splinter (in my case). 510 fittings are finicky and fragile to start with in my experience.

And then you've got where the male threaded 510 fitting is in the wood.

We probably want to limit stress on both areas for longevity sake.

By the way the mod is heavy if you're using a drop-down. Not the mod itself but with the two batteries added.

Last edited:

Hippie

Yay! Kung Hei Fat Choi!

The Chinese new year sales are starting on the major ecig sites so there are some bargains to be had in the next few days if you don't mind the wait (as some won't be shipped 'til they return to work after the festive season)

I've been looking for weeks and still can't decide which dual 18650 and single 26650 mods I want this year.
I think I'm erring towards the Aegis 100w for the Splinter as it looks pretty robust and an Eleaf Invoke (or 2) to replace my aging Cuboids at the moment.

almost there

Much as I hate to miss a sale I'll have to let this one go. No telling when my number will be called with the splinter and the iheat cartridge is even farther away. Most of these vendors have a 30 day window of returns, don't want to sit on a funky mod for months possibly to find out it doesn't work when my heaters arrive.

hippogriff

Those who have a DNA mod. Is there a fire button timeout?

Just wondering how it compares to cruise control on the evic
There is a 20-second timeout. For me, that means draw as long as you like cause I never draw long enough to exceed 20 seconds plus the natural vapor-producing an RBT heater does w residual heat after shutoff.

Basically, DNA boards are always in TC mode - there is temperature protection based on your settings, resistance monitoring of the Splinter, and temperature sensors on the board. You can change that first one, your target temp, between 200 and 600 degrees Fahrenheit (450 is default), or set it a tick past 600 to turn TC off. Additionally, changing the wattage changes how agressively the board applies the heat.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
so us newbies have to be brought up to speed. [(I'm thinking of you, too, @cybrguy & your vast knowledge of mods. :p;)]
I hope you are thinking of me as a noob needing help as I am still completely in the dark on mods, other than what I have read in these groups. Have seen them, but not even held one yet.
I'm sure Splinter will pull me into this eventually, but not yet.

Soon come. But probably not too soon...

sickmanfraud

It's not about tippage @Summer. It's about the weight of the mod with batteries on the vape.

My SmoAnt Charon isn't light and half of it is overhanging to one side on the Splinter (in my case). 510 fittings are finicky and fragile to start with in my experience.

And then you've got where the male threaded 510 fitting is in the wood.

We probably want to limit stress on both areas for longevity sake.

By the way the mod is heavy if you're using a drop-down. Not the mod itself but with the two batteries added.

tuboxevicvtwominid020d-1200x1200.png

Folks who use water filtration should consider the TUBOx which has the vast majority of the weight (the mod and batteries) resting on the table, not the bubbler.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
tuboxevicvtwominid020d-1200x1200.png

Folks who use water filtration should consider the TUBOx which has the vast majority of the weight (the mod and batteries) resting on the table, not the bubbler.

Or maybe a couple of these:

510 GOOSENECK EXTENSION
510-gooseneck-extension.jpg

I don't think one would provide enough length to go from the mod to the splinter and be able to reach the bubbler but two might do it.

db_w_e-huge_w_2x-gooseneck.jpg

I don't know what affect these cables would have on TC mode, they may add resistance to the circuit and mess it up. I'm no expert but at $18ish including shipping (USA) for two cables, I figured someone with a splinter might be willing to risk it, for science :brow:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Hard tp say, someone will have to test! :science:

What this interview confirms though: as he says, only 10% of DNA user base really uses TC. It's the same across all e-cig forums I read, and whatever the brand they use. They just use power mode and they don't care.

It's problematic for us because manufacturers have little incentive, if any at all, to improve their TC algos. It's just a gadget meant to avoid dry puffs and burning your cotton wicks in the first place. While for us, it's the number #1 requirement to use our on demand convection vapes properly (yes Splinter and iHeat can work in power mode too, but trust me, when TC works it's clearly worth it. And for the Project, it's barely usable in power mode, you really need TC)

I had hopes that with the recent waves of research articles showing that many pyrolysis by-products are produced at high temperatures with e-liquid, including potential carcinogens, they would all react and switch to TC exclusively, but it's not happening or at least only very slowly.

They stick to the urban legend that says e-liquid is 95% safer than real cigarettes, so they couldn't care less about the last 5%.

Tranquility

Hard tp say, someone will have to test! :science:

What this interview confirms though: as he says, only 10% of DNA user base really uses TC. It's the same across all e-cig forums I read, and whatever the brand they use. They just use power mode and they don't care.

It's problematic for us because manufacturers have little incentive, if any at all, to improve their TC algos. It's just a gadget meant to avoid dry puffs and burning your cotton wicks in the first place. While for us, it's the number #1 requirement to use our on demand convection vapes properly (yes Splinter and iHeat can work in power mode too, but trust me, when TC works it's clearly worth it. And for the Project, it's barely usable in power mode, you really need TC)

I had hopes that with the recent waves of research articles showing that many pyrolysis by-products are produced at high temperatures with e-liquid, including potential carcinogens, they would all react and switch to TC exclusively, but it's not happening or at least only very slowly.

They stick to the urban legend that says e-liquid is 95% safer than real cigarettes, so they couldn't care less about the last 5%.

I've read many of the posts in the forums here and elsewhere in regards to the DNA and TC. I greatly respect the knowledge of @KeroZen in some of the electronics sections. And, I'm an OK smart guy who loves to tinker and has some ability in sciency things.

I'm pretty much just one of the power mode guys.

TC has not been good to me.

Maybe it was because most of my experimentation with it was in my earlier days where I was testing everything on most anything. Sai in all the early buckets, DT doughnuts, DT dry, and some other heaters all required different settings that seemed to react in different ways on different days. I could never get anything really dialed in and, when I went to power, I'd just input a number and hit it like a MFLB. By feel.

i-dont-have-a-problem-i-am-the-problem.jpg

ghostofcyberx13

And That Ain't No Joke, You Can Disappear In Smoke
Wow what a great but highly complex thread. Well as the saying goes, "In for a penny, in for a pound", I have already bought(Just received this week) a Vaporesso Revenger X 220W Kit w/ NRG Tank 5ml. I'm 68 and a FNG at all this and quite frankly I'm no "Rocket Scientist" and could use all the help I can get, especially any pics, videos, opinions, info and advice. I also bought a NITECORE double batt. charger. I'm receiving today 2 NITECORE IMR 3100 mAh 35A 18650 Batteries(with free Eco-case) that were advertised as great for Vape Mods. I purchased them on Amazon from Andrew-Amanda NITECORE($31.95).

After searching quite a bit I decided to get the Revenger X 220W($60 approx)because it apparently has all the "Bells and Whistles" like the most updated chip, newest video screen, magnetic back(batteries) and even a clock face. I got a very bright green one and it's absolutely gorgeous and seems quite solid and well made, but hey "The proof's in the pudding" and since I have been waiting on the batteries I haven't tried yet.

In the end what sold me was that this RevengerX 220W Mod was like a "Mod For Dummies" with easy basic settings but yet tons of options for the advanced users or master users. Latest chip and the ability to update. So I want all the help I can get, thanks a bunch to all who have contributed to this fantastic thread. Sayonara.

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...I like the 3 battery mods myself... I like the weight and feel of them...

... I have a rx200s with articfox and a lostvape triade(dna).. I also like the fuchai it's a 2/3 battery mod.. I prefer that one in 2batt mode...

... I also like smoant battlestar for a 2 cell mod....

cancertoast

Anyone give me some pointers? I have a VooPoo Too, and a G2 DC Dry Herb Atomizer. It is not working. I hold the button down and it times out. Are the batteries bad? I have wattage set to 33, and the temp set to 390, in TCR mode. And nothing.

ed:
So I switched it to NI mode and now it works, though it runs hotter than what I have the temps at.. Any thoughts on why that is? Sorry, I am new to boxmods. My wife found this unit at the bar she works at (A drunk left it.) So we adopted it.

Last edited:
cancertoast,
Reactions: Summer

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Better ask attachment-specific settings in the respective product threads (Divine Tribe donuts in your case?)

You didn't say what value you used for TCR. But beware, the DT donuts are quite delicate animals. From memory 33W is too much for them (excepted maybe the latest quartz one)

Also don't trust the displayed temperature, trust your throat and the vapor you get, as well as the ABV color and if it chars or not.

cancertoast

Better ask attachment-specific settings in the respective product threads (Divine Tribe donuts in your case?)

You didn't say what value you used for TCR. But beware, the DT donuts are quite delicate animals. From memory 33W is too much for them (excepted maybe the latest quartz one)

Also don't trust the displayed temperature, trust your throat and the vapor you get, as well as the ABV color and if it chars or not.
That is a confusing thing. If I run the software, my TCR value is 1000. The adapter asks me to set the TCR at 300. Which one am I changing????

cancertoast,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
What software? Never owned a Vaporesso, is there a desktop / computer software to configure it?

If you can set the TCR value on the mod itself that would work too. But from memory, I think the Ni(ckel) preset is what you want for DT donuts anyway.

KeroZen,
Top Bottom