What box mod are you using / recommending for on-demand convection 510 vapes?

Urbanistic

Retailer
... but not really in the mood for some headaches lol

Lol I think the more you do with all this you're going to get headaches somewhere -

I still consider myself a noob with all of the 510 mods being honest - I never had use for an eCig. I do have basic electronics knowledge and have flashed plenty of devices - updated firmware for musical devices via MIDI and serial connections. Jailbroken iPhones and done a little bit of coding myself.

So far only I've tried a handful of Wismec mods - RX Mini, loaded tubo first time but had to use the manufacturer's tool - tubo's one wouldn't load it. Haven't tried AF with that although I should as the battery life is rubbish with the tubo. Arctic fox may improve it. I do prefer the 'older' firmware version that lets you have a longer cruise (session) timer.

RX2 21700 - First one I had was DOA - this was the first faulty unit our supplier has ever had.
The second flashed with Arctic Fox and was setup with my @mistvaporizer Imp within minutes of plugging it in to the PC (it was fully charged first). I never tried any tubo version on this as I don't believe it is compatible. Either way Arctic Fox seemed to get really good results. Great battery life and much better performance than the mini - this was sent back to HQ for further testing. I do remember using the USB interface to use the sensors on Arctic Fox

P80 - This flashed with a newer version of the Tubo firmware. I then had difficulty trying to get it to respond at all after that. This is when I went through a bunch of USB cables and 3 different PC's trying to get the device to be recognised. I really believe that resetting it as I described in my earlier post helped -

Hold the + button when plugging the mod in to your computer. Use the manufacturers tool to load the original firmware and THEN try to load Arctic Fox. Other button combinations may work depending on the mod.

I hope it helps.

Good luck!

I also have 2 more RX2 21700's coming to be setup and tested further next week along with another 510 compatible vape. I'll keep reporting back.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Lol I think the more you do with all this you're going to get headaches somewhere -

I still consider myself a noob with all of the 510 mods being honest - I never had use for an eCig. I do have basic electronics knowledge and have flashed plenty of devices - updated firmware for musical devices via MIDI and serial connections. Jailbroken iPhones and done a little bit of coding myself.

So far only I've tried a handful of Wismec mods - RX Mini, loaded tubo first time but had to use the manufacturer's tool - tubo's one wouldn't load it. Haven't tried AF with that although I should as the battery life is rubbish with the tubo. Arctic fox may improve it. I do prefer the 'older' firmware version that lets you have a longer cruise (session) timer.

RX2 21700 - First one I had was DOA - this was the first faulty unit our supplier has ever had.
The second flashed with Arctic Fox and was setup with my @mistvaporizer Imp within minutes of plugging it in to the PC (it was fully charged first). I never tried any tubo version on this as I don't believe it is compatible. Either way Arctic Fox seemed to get really good results. Great battery life and much better performance than the mini - this was sent back to HQ for further testing. I do remember using the USB interface to use the sensors on Arctic Fox

P80 - This flashed with a newer version of the Tubo firmware. I then had difficulty trying to get it to respond at all after that. This is when I went through a bunch of USB cables and 3 different PC's trying to get the device to be recognised. I really believe that resetting it as I described in my earlier post helped -

Hold the + button when plugging the mod in to your computer. Use the manufacturers tool to load the original firmware and THEN try to load Arctic Fox. Other button combinations may work depending on the mod.

I hope it helps.

Good luck!

I also have 2 more RX2 21700's coming to be setup and tested further next week along with another 510 compatible vape. I'll keep reporting back.

Hmmm Tubo isn't compatible with P80 though... You mean surmyevic?

Shit Snacks,

Urbanistic

Retailer
Hmmm Tubo isn't compatible with P80 though... You mean surmyevic?
Sorry yes I think I'm getting confused between tubo, myevic and surmyevic although I don't think I've ever downloaded surmyevic.

I just remember sporadically plugging it in to every pc I had with pretty much every cable I had multiple times.

Is there no page or spreadsheet that we can go to that you can easily cross reference these 3rd party firmwares and mods? Would something like this help people?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Sorry yes I think I'm getting confused between tubo, myevic and surmyevic although I don't think I've ever downloaded surmyevic.

I just remember sporadically plugging it in to every pc I had with pretty much every cable I had multiple times.

Is there no page or spreadsheet that we can go to that you can easily cross reference these 3rd party firmwares and mods? Would something like this help people?

I have not seen any larger cross reference for all the firmwares and mods, just individual ones for each firmware. Myevic is what Tubo and Sur are based off of, the original version I've heard is not so good for our use actually? I know several members have downloaded it by mistake when looking for Sur lol

sickmanfraud

I can not speak to shipping times for other locations, but I can say that Aliexpress has had packages here (Israel) from China in under 2 weeks! and Fasttech has been even faster.

Not all packages are that fast, but mods are better tracked and arrive quicker, in my experience.

sickmanfraud,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
For those liking side by side mods and who have a pocket that is both small and deep at the same time (small being the reason why you like compact mods, deep because well.. this one costs an arm!) here is the Zero Nega 2 by Sunbox, sporting a Dicodes chipset which should be able *on paper* to perform TC properly:

https://www.phileas-cloud.com/zero-nega-2-by-sunbox.html

Please be aware that so far no one on FC ever reported using any Dicodes based mod for our rather deviant usage (i.e. on demand dry herb convection vaporization) They have quite an excellent reputation but we have no warranty there won't be any show stopper as confirmed with (some of) the YiHi chipsets (which also have otherwise a rather good reputation for e-liquids)

Plutonic

For those liking side by side mods and who have a pocket that is both small and deep at the same time (small being the reason why you like compact mods, deep because well.. this one costs an arm!) here is the Zero Nega 2 by Sunbox, sporting a Dicodes chipset which should be able *on paper* to perform TC properly:

https://www.phileas-cloud.com/zero-nega-2-by-sunbox.html

That's beautiful! On this topic of advanced-chip SBS mods, there's also the XvoStick (facebook page here). It uses a DNA chip and is cheaper, the only bummer being it's made to order and there's a several month wait.

Oops, sorry @KeroZen, I now see you posted about the XvoStick here, as did @deadlytoaster here, @mephisto here, etc.

Last edited:
Plutonic,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Right, but I just read on ECF that some people were having issues with the latest XvoStick batch... and also concerns with how the company handles their customer support. So I would be rather hesitant...

Not that I'm in the search for a new mod at the moment anyway, I'm quite happy with the SmoAnt Knight V2. A shame it was discontinued. Apparently you can still source some old stock from some places if you search deeply enough, but it's becoming increasingly difficult.

I thought the Nega could be interesting as it supports up to 14mm, still not enough for the Splinter but maybe okay for the Stempod or some very slim iHeats?

KeroZen,
Reactions: Plutonic

Plutonic

Right, but I just read on ECF that some people were having issues with the latest XvoStick batch... and also concerns with how the company handles their customer support. So I would be rather hesitant...

Damn, I hate to hear this. I'm already in my third month of waiting for the thing, and I just went to ECF and probably read what you read. Ugh. I should probably cancel the order, but I really want an SBS DNA mod (preferably for $150 or less). Do you know of any others?

Plutonic,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I wish... There are plenty of models but most are mech mods. The few that do TC properly (including DNA ones) are super pricey.

I think at some point, building your own could be the best solution.

lordtinuviel

Got a question, I'm using a P80 running articfox (TCR) and have locked the coil to .23, should the coil value increase when I'm using it?

lordtinuviel,

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
Got a question, I'm using a P80 running articfox (TCR) and have locked the coil to .23, should the coil value increase when I'm using it?
The coil value should be locked for TC calculations as TC uses an algorithm to calculate temperature based upon the increasing resistance as the coil becomes hotter. If you have the resistance locked, but your mod is displaying the increasing resistance I would check that off as a feature.

lordtinuviel

The coil value should be locked for TC calculations as TC uses an algorithm to calculate temperature based upon the increasing resistance as the coil becomes hotter. If you have the resistance locked, but your mod is displaying the increasing resistance I would check that off as a feature.

I have reload sinuous P80 firmware then load articfox and is doing that crazy thing...also sometimes I turn it on and switch profiles by itself, is there a way to do a complete reset?

lordtinuviel,

Summer

Long Island, NY
If you have the resistance locked, but your mod is displaying the increasing resistance I would check that off as a feature.

Further explanation please as I'm confused. If resistance is locked, I'm assuming that the resistance should stay at the locked value, no? So what do you mean by checking that off as a feature? Thanks!

lordtinuviel

Further explanation please as I'm confused. If resistance is locked, I'm assuming that the resistance should stay at the locked value, no? So what do you mean by checking that off as a feature? Thanks!

Yes, I'm confused too...it's locked should stay...maybe a bug of the firmware? BTW I have try the last 2 firmwares, same issue with both

lordtinuviel,
Reactions: Summer

Hippie

As the locked resistance is higher than the cold resistance the Smart feature assumes its a different atomizer and switches over to what it thinks is the most appropriate profile

Hippie,
Reactions: Summer

Summer

Long Island, NY
As the locked resistance is higher than the cold resistance the Smart feature assumes its a different atomizer and switches over to what it thinks is the most appropriate profile

So, the locked resistance is based on AFTER heating up? :hmm: And it can only switch over to the most appripriate profile IF you have more than 1 profile. :hmm:

I know these are kindergarten questions, but it's finally time for me to learn & move past the stock firmware, so I gotta start at the beginning.

Summer,

lordtinuviel

But the smart feature is off or not selected

lordtinuviel,

Hippie

Have a flicker through these @Summer
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/guide-to-fine-tuning-temp-control-vaping.t18206/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...tcr-tfr-for-all-the-different-tc-mods.742439/

Scroll down to the graph in the 1st link (section 3)
The angle of the graph is the TCR (if you want more angles that's what TFR is)
Where the graph starts on the left is the locked resistance

Soooo ... if you increase or decrease the TCR the or the locked resistance it will increase or decrease the coil temp for the temp shown on-screen

@lordtinuviel I would let it all cool for a few hours. Then get a good cold resistance reading, lock that in and increase the TCR to compensate for the difference.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Yes in case it's not clear, the live resistance display will of course increase as you heat up. TC mode works only because there is a resistance change, it's the only mean available to the mod to extrapolate the coil temperature (compared to having a dedicated temperature sensor like all other vapes on the market)

Top Bottom