What box mod are you using / recommending for on-demand convection 510 vapes?

FractaLSD

PsychMyc
I just use the TC box mod that came with my Source Nail XL. I think its called a Max Volt. Its like 60w max. Usually needs to be in the 20's for those atomizers. Its a decent box mod for sure, just not as cheap as the istick if buying the mod by itself.

But it does have specific temp control for their titanium coilless and other materials, so its preset to be accurate with their atomizers. I dunno how well other TC mods would work (im new to box mods period, ive always been into just herbal vapes and ive had regular 510 ecigs)

I just use box mods for dabbing. Before that i just used the Yocan Torch or a rig

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I just use the TC box mod that came with my Source Nail XL. I think its called a Max Volt. Its like 60w max. Usually needs to be in the 20's for those atomizers. Its a decent box mod for sure, just not as cheap as the istick if buying the mod by itself.

But it does have specific temp control for their titanium coilless and other materials, so its preset to be accurate with their atomizers. I dunno how well other TC mods would work (im new to box mods period, ive always been into just herbal vapes and ive had regular 510 ecigs)

I just use box mods for dabbing. Before that i just used the Yocan Torch or a rig
I had/have that one too. Its an Evic vtc mini w/ 60w. They have them with different max wattage settings but its the same mod that Source sales as the Max Volt. Mine no longer works because I had let too much oil get down into the 510 connection to the point I could not get a steady reading. That was after about 2 years of putting it through its paces while I learned how to best use box mods, TC and all these different wax atomizers. It truly was a beast.

If you bought the mod by itself with out the Source profile it only runs about $30-$40.

ray_b

...damn you:lol:. I blame this recent lost of control on you

Well shit I hate you both now j/k I sold my pax2 yesterday so guess what I just bought
Bwahahaha :evil:

Here's an odd one, a Pioneer4You iPV D4 box mod with a YiHi board. I found it in a clearance section and couldn't resist. Its TC mode is called "Joules Mode" even though you enter your pre-heat number in watts. Your pre-heat number is on top and you have to dig through the menus to change the temperature setting, a PITA. I'll be testing it later today.

G8Kw5rhC_o.jpg

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Last edited:

ray_b

by the way, unless something has changed, stay away from the Yihi chips. at least for this use. they have a dry coil warning feature that cuts the power when it detects the coil isnt submerged in liquid.
Okay, good to know, thanks for bringing it up. The meager instruction sheet for the mod lists the following protections:
  • Low Voltage Protection
  • Low Resistance Protection
  • High Input Voltage Warning
  • Output Short Circuit Protection
  • Reverse Battery Protection
  • Temperature Overheat Protection
The board is called out as: YiHi SX130H
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to add: I tested the P4Y iPV D4 with my RBT Splinter, an XL8R cooling stem and a small amount of material, ~0.06g, in Joules Mode. It works as TC should although it's too soon to make a judgement on how good the TC is. The mod does get a bit warm. The only other single cell mod I've used with the Splinter is a Smoant Battlestar Mini and it didn't noticeably warm like the iPV D4 does. I used a Samsung 25R in both mods. The Battlestar Mini, like apparently all Smoant mods, has great TC. I bought the iPV D4 primarily for use with an e-cig atomizer, being able to test the YiHi board TC implementation was a bonus.

I wonder if the dry coil warning is a feature of the higher end YiHi boards.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second edit: The iPV D4 ain't bad at all, better than my Vaporesso Revenger in TC. :)

Z4dvr6Jq_o.jpg

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

Here's an odd one, a Pioneer4You iPV D4 box mod with a YiHi board. I found it in a clearance section and couldn't resist. Its TC mode is called "Joules Mode" even though you enter your pre-heat number in watts. Your pre-heat number is on top and you have to dig through the menus to change the temperature setting, a PITA. I'll be testing it later today.

That apparently (at least some models) were not suitable for our application as the chipset somehow managed to determine that the coils are not submerged in liquid and cuts off as a protection. Or at least that's how I understood the remark back then.

I'll try to find it back.

EDIT: that would be it >> http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/divine-tribe-attys.14455/page-144#post-1218384 and >> http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/divine-tribe-attys.14455/page-139#post-1208138

Interested too about the YiHi and how it works. Now that the iheat has a DNA mod might screw around with the Movkin Disguiser and see if a YiHi chip might fit if works dry. The disguiser does ok TC but since only have 11 buck tied up might mess around and try change the chip. The mod itself is all metal and other than battery door seems solidly built.

There's really nothing I found other than the disguiser that will fit device like the stempod. I think I can file enough off battery cover the stempod will fit. It be a nice backup mod if can get it all working.
Don't see it replacing the p80 as stempod main mod. Still I already own it mighta as well try find a use for it.

almost there

Bwahahaha :evil:

G8Kw5rhC_o.jpg
Always one step ahead my friend, I've actually been drooling over the yihi SL class but those buggers are expensive since they’re new, bet it would look marvelous with one of our 510 atty’s. That whole Joules business intimidates me though.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I received my DNA75-powered Steam Engine vape. Thanks again to that member who posted the link to that Chinese shop clearance sale. I grabbed one while it lasted, and mine doesn't have any screen issue so far.

Build is okay, but I didn't look at the internals yet, I hope I won't find bad surprises in there. The leather around the screen needs to be re-glued on mine, but it's a detail. On the other hand what's not a detail is the damn weight of this mod! It's a brick really! Even without any cell, it's not the kind of mod you can forget in your pocket... you definitely know it's there, what a fat cat!

Look is nice. I paired it with my iHeat for now and it sure looks better than on my red evic VTC mini. I agree with you guys: the Splinter, iHeat and Stempod really pair better with dual or more cells mods. On single cell ones they feel out of place and silly. If you have a hefty atty you need a hefty mod!

So here's a picture, but see it's ridiculously big next to a iStick Pico fitted with the CeraWax attachment. I really wish our convection 510 attys would look like that, but no, we're stuck with big things and we need long stems for cooling... our only hope is with SBS mods.

2di0i9l.png

I really hope we can collaboratively produce a FC-special SBS mod at some point, or find a craftsman (AKA mod maker) able to create one for us at a reasonable price.

PS: @PPN my friend, that one could pair nicely with your blackwood iHeat! Unfortunately it will likely not solve your dicky resistance readings problem. I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem comes from the iHeat base itself, and not from the mods. I tested mine on so many mods and there's still way too much variation in the readings, it's a pain.

ray_b

That whole Joules business intimidates me though.
Don't be intimidated, best as I can tell Joules Mode is a gimmick, it's just TC mode with a different name. Watts and Joules aren't equivalent units even thought the iPV D4 treats them that way.

Here are the settings I found that work with my Splinter on the iPV D4, note that the settings are the same as what works with my Charon Mini. I like the performance of this mod and I'll definitely consider a YiHi board in the future.

TCR=260; 33 joules; 360F

RBT Splinter
  • Lyra - TCR=260; 31 watts; 355F
  • Charon Mini - TCR=260; 33 watts; 360F

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Andreaerdna,
Reactions: Hogni

HerbieVonVapster

I received my DNA75-powered Steam Engine vape. Thanks again to that member who posted the link to that Chinese shop clearance sale. I grabbed one while it lasted, and mine doesn't have any screen issue so far.

Build is okay, but I didn't look at the internals yet, I hope I won't find bad surprises in there. The leather around the screen needs to be re-glued on mine, but it's a detail. On the other hand what's not a detail is the damn weight of this mod! It's a brick really! Even without any cell, it's not the kind of mod you can forget in your pocket... you definitely know it's there, what a fat cat!

Look is nice. I paired it with my iHeat for now and it sure looks better than on my red evic VTC mini. I agree with you guys: the Splinter, iHeat and Stempod really pair better with dual or more cells mods. On single cell ones they feel out of place and silly. If you have a hefty atty you need a hefty mod!

So here's a picture, but see it's ridiculously big next to a iStick Pico fitted with the CeraWax attachment. I really wish our convection 510 attys would look like that, but no, we're stuck with big things and we need long stems for cooling... our only hope is with SBS mods.

Wanted that mod myself before I grabbed the wismec 250. The chip no matter of quality of mod is good. Just try run case thermal analyzer when you have couple spare hours if you haven't already.

Also when can check out the fcshare file btw that and link I posted to graphic themes etc download should be able come up with something you like.

Totally agree on SBS mod ideal. If could somehow replaced the Squonker with a 510 connection sort setup like the movkin disguiser. But even a single battery sbs would be nice. Problem with single is size. You still need enough height for battery and the chip. But with it laid out like the movkin you get nice trade off btw sizes and function..

img-6846_1_orig.jpg

authentic-movkin-disguiser-150w-tc-vw-variable-wattage-box-mod-white-5150w-2-x-18650-100300-c-200600-f.jpg

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Woah @TNT_error, the StemPod looks *huge* on that mod! I prefer small mods but when it comes to the overall mod + atty proportions, with the Splinter, iHeat and StemPod I find it looks better on a fat mod... but then it's less portable, more something I would use around the house or bringing to parties, but not at work or on the street etc.

My goal is really the opposite: I'm all for miniaturization. The Nomad is the proof that the heater can be ultra small. We just can't really reduce the stem length much as we need it for cooling. Maybe by using a cooling spiral or similar apparatus we could reduce it further, but there are drawbacks.

I'm convinced we could have something that is around or under 10cm tall (3.93 inch), mod, attachment and stem included.

I took a picture of my mods fitted with various attachments to illustrate the wide size variation they have, from impractically short to silly tall:

25ho1fr.png

From left to right we have:
  • The Witcher fitted with a custom attachment based on the Kennedy 24 RDA. This is the smallest working size I managed to achieve but vapor path is way too short and by using 810 drip tips as stems you can only micro dose (and not even mini dose, really ridiculous! it's okay for a couple of ninja hits but you would be better of vaping e-liquid or concentrates in that case)
  • The eLeaf Pico 75W fitted with the CeraWax attachment. Looks like your regular e-cig, but we'll never manage to have convection working in that form factor. For a dry herb conduction attachment of similar size, I invite you to check the Divine Tribe thread.
  • The SmoAnt Knight v2 fitted with the Project Pure SF using standard taper 14mm stems. It's great but we could go even shorter I'm sure.
  • The evic VTC mini fitted with a custom attachment based on the Fishbone RDA and a 14mm wooden stem I got from the MistVape Touch. That stem is too short though, vapor is hot on this one.
  • The evic Primo mini fitted with a custom attachment based on a Fishbone variant. This one looks a bit like a long antenna but it's in fact shorter than the Project Pure SF already. Inside the Knight it's way better.
  • The Steam Engine DNA75 fitted with the iHeat. Damn that's tall!
  • The VapeDynamics Duo (crap) fitted with another custom attachment based on the Fishbone Plus RDA (or something like that, forgot the name)
  • Then the FlowerMate Aura Hybrid X fitted with the Project Eraser version, to illustrate what we clearly don't want!

If we look only at the mods, the eLeaf Pico 75W is clearly the winner when it comes to size. But it only accepts small diameter attachments due to the battery cap (check the Pico 20700 though it accepts larger diameters!) Tall attys also look completely out of place and unprotected on it. The aspect ratio only works with standard e-cig sized attys.

ezo02a.png

The evic VTC mini is small too, albeit actually slightly taller than the Primo mini, but both tend to give a "thin and tall" impression. The Witcher is absurdly wide, it's almost as wide as the Steam Engine but it has a single cell where the latter has two! I also don't like its design much and it weights too much.

The right part of the Pico is about as small as we can get if we stick to 18650's. Smaller cells have poor characteristics anyway and are much less widespread. A 18650 is 65mm tall, so we can't expect much less than 70mm if we include the contacts, 75mm would be even more realistic (the Pico is 70mm so it's possible) That translates to 2.76inch in your barbaric unit.

In the Knight v2 the circuit board is pretty short. Buttons are on the front and the screen is on the side. I didn't open it though, but if it was not discontinued (I think it is) we could use that circuit as a base, as the stock TC implementation is great out of the box and there's nothing to configure (just enter the TCR value and set the temperature)

The Pico circuit is small though. In this picture you can see a Chinese clone Pico board which costs under $10 shipped. I believe the original Pico PCB are exactly the same dimension (plural because there are two stacked PCB)

2mfabug.png

That clone board is unfortunately not really an option: it doesn't mount as a USB device, so we can't flash it easily with NFEtoolbox etc. I lifted the small OLED hoping to identify the MCU below but the package is completely blank, no markings nor grinding marks. So there's little hope we can easily program it and it's probably crap hardware overall anyway. It does TC for a few coil materials but probably as bad as the stock joyetech/eleaf/wismec implementation.

But for $25 shipped we can get the Pico dual and maybe salvage its board and contacts. It's fully supported by AF and with some work my_evic/tubo_evic could be ported to it. The screen is small though, can't display much on it...

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...hentic-eleaf-pico-dual-200w-tc-vw-apv-box-mod

That's still way cheaper than DNA boards (and you get a full mod for that price not just a chipset!) On that subject, maybe we could look into other DNA variants and not just the DNA75/75C and DNA250/250C? We don't need that many Watts anyway no? The DNA60 is super small for instance and comes with either a small or a large screen:

https://www.evolvapor.com/products/dna60

Don't know how well it performs though...

I think we would be better off using a chipset that we can fully reprogram, like any of the mods supported by ArticFox. It would give us more control. The best would be to get rid of the 510 port completely, as it's the Achilles's heel of these systems anyway. That's what @funkyjunky did for the Tubo in fact: he chose the cheap and ubiquitous evic VTC mini as a base, built a custom heater and custom software to drive it, and enclosed the whole thing in CNC'ed wood. Brilliant! :tup:

Last edited:

TNT_error

@KeroZen yeah I knew that going in that size would be a bit off. I just wanted an excuse to buy another mod lol. I agree, I wish one day we will get an atty the size of an rda or rta. Proportions make it hard to match a mod unless it's huge and/or custom. That's a nice lineup! Where would you rank the SP so far?

HerbieVonVapster

I got a hold of aspen on there web chat about my mistake double order. They cancel the silver lost vape paranormal 250c no problem.

But... there was a problem then with the gunmetal black rhombus black gray kevlar one I ordered not being available.

So he offered me a gunmetal carbon fiber pearl fish models instead. Both look great so went with it.

There shipping it today priority mail. So even more stoked will have it on weds. Thanks again @ray_b for sharing this deal.

Debating who should get the DNA250C it be between the iheat and Splinter.

Well since doing show and tell. Here is my mod collection.

122yngm.jpg

iheat/Movkin Disguiser-- Splinter/Wismec Reuleaux DNA250--Stempod/Wismec Sinuous P80 Evolution/Witcher--Dart/Hana Modz One DNA40.

Last edited:

b0

Cloudy...
I got a hold of aspen on there web chat about my mistake double order. They cancel the silver lost vape paranormal 250c no problem.

But... there was a problem then with the gunmetal black rhombus black gray kevlar one I ordered not being available.

So he offered me a gunmetal carbon fiber pearl fish models instead. Both look great so went with it.

There shipping it today priority mail. So even more stoked will have it on weds. Thanks again @ray_b for sharing this deal.

Debating who should get the DNA250C it be between the iheat and Splinter.

Well since doing show and tell. Here is my mod collection.

122yngm.jpg

iheat/Movkin Disguiser-- Splinter/Wismec Reuleaux DNA250--Stempod/Wismec Sinuous P80 Evolution/Witcher--Dart/Hana Modz One DNA40.

Isn't the stempod harsh with that short mouthpiece?

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Here is my little mod collection. Got a use for each one.
L to R:
Innokin Cool Fire 4 in volts mode for carts.
Segelei Kaos Z with the HVT Sai in watts mode.
Evic mini with FJ firmware in Tubo mode with the Splinter.
Vapman Steam Engine with the I Heat in watts mode.
Think I want a two battery mod running FJs firmware for my Splinter, just to look more natural, as @KeroZen mentioned.

1p9gko.jpg

HerbieVonVapster

Isn't the stempod harsh with that short mouthpiece?

Yes it's a hot draw with the stempod. It's my travel vape so trying out different stems. This short one works better on a DNA mod. With a little hemp filter it's doable and it fit's in pocket better.

Since stempod is on a non DNA mod I decided it's going get a longer stem.
I have a blackwood on order it's an inch so longer.

I really like using a more inexpensive mod for my stempod use. If I drop the stempod it will survive.
Since this combo is used mostly out of the house it's much more likely to be drop onto a harder surface. Rather be out 25-30 buck to replace the p80 than over a 100.00 for DNA replacement.

I mentioned before the stempod and the P80 make a great travel combo.
Everything works the TC runs great you have cruise add it's small really portable.

Something bigger like splinter I also feel just looks better on a larger mod.

Even the iheat's smaller size looks great on a larger mod. Picture don't really do this combo justice.
2lo16s1.jpg

y0vw9.jpg

b0

Cloudy...
Top Bottom