1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

What box mod are you using / recommending for on-demand convection 510 vapes?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by AJS, Oct 11, 2017.

1. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

Figured this might be needed at some point. When Solinter gains popularity I think it's fair for us to have this information neatly organized in a separate thread. (IHeat could also fit here right?)

What mods are you guys going for? If TC works on production models will you only look for mods with TC?

Single batt, double batt, triple batt?

Aesthetics or performance? Size matter? Upgradeable software?

Just looking for the cheapest mod possible that works?

If you decide to recommend a mod, I think it would be appreciated by most if you can categorize it. Cheap, cool, small, techy, etc. If not no worries, may help for skimming tho.

Bizkat, KeroZen and ataxian like this.
  2. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

I've read that Smok TC implementation is poor and overall quality is lower than Eeaf (it's often compared to this brand because Smok copied the Pico design etc) but this time they claim it's ultra fast and precise so there is hope?

For those wanting a wooden look, I've found these Wûd mod wraps. They look ok on picture but I'm pretty sure it's a pain to apply properly and it probably doesn't age very well. But still the idea is fun (make sure to click on the different products as there are several colors for each)

https://wudbx.com/collections/wraps?page=1

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    invertedisdead, AJS and grokit like this.
  3. ataxian

ataxian PALE BLUE DOT

@AJS you know you are loved (brother)
    I use a MOD because it has controls.
    Ergonomic (fit's your hand)

Get a UNIT on ebay if $ is a concern?

$30 - $50 = 100 to 200 watt MOD
    You usually set it at 30 - 50 watt's.
    Now your batteries will last longer between charging.

Many FACTORIES make them. (some times many makes are made in one factory)

I have so many. (kine stupid)

Now remember I'm addicted to CONCENTRATES.

ATOMIZER'S are another topic.

You can go lower wattage however I hate batteries. (the less I deal with them the better)

26650; 18650 batteries are topical

KeroZen, AJS and just_the_flu like this.
  4. rosedale

rosedale Well-Known Member

I have an Insta-Heat coming soon and I am on the Splinter pre-order list so I am trying to figure out my box mod situation. Does anyone have any experience with the Smok Alien 220 TC? It has temperature control and two removable batteries which seems to be two requisites for a lot of people. Anyone care to weigh in?

5. cannabis.pro

cannabis.pro OpenCannabis Advocate with a shop at 420EDC.com Accessory Maker

6. KeroZen

DNA-based, it's a sure bet! :tup:

7. Breathemetal

Breathemetal Well-Known Member

I have the camo version. Love it.

rosedale likes this.
  8. invertedisdead

invertedisdead trance-form

Smok TC is pretty bad, I sent my AL85 back and got a Primo Mini instead.

9. just_the_flu

just_the_flu take it as it comes, specialize in havin' fun

...arctic fox is supposed to be on par with DNA mods for T/C mode... wismic, joyetech and eleaf mods will support arctic fox firmware (most models at least)... https://nfeteam.org/

cannabis.pro likes this.
  10. KeroZen

Yes but no lol!

I use AF and myevic extensively and well... they try to emulate the best features of escribe (DNA) but it's a mimic at best.

The ADC on this family of chipsets is just poor, so you can PID all you want, when the sensor has such a large variation range in readings when cold, it's just not possible to get the precision claimed on screen. You got many digits displayed but the last one is basically bogus, and a small variation in that digit already amounts to a large variation in computed temperature.

And the lower the resistance the lower the resolution and precision in the end. Problem is: iHeat, Tubo and probably Splinter are rather too low in resistance (they all recommend over 0.5ohm for SS TC). Project Pure SF is at the limit, older versions were a tad better IIRC (forgot the figure for the Eraser and OG, haven't used them for a while)

I've always said it: to me TC via resistance change is still inferior to TC via a dedicated sensor. The ADC is one reason, but the fact that the act of measuring already changes the resistance itself is also a major problem.

DNA boards have superior hardware, as well as the new FSK chipset found in latest Hohmtech devices (ex: http://hohmtech.com/store/?model_number=3609067 ) Recent YIHI chipsets are also very good albeit pricey.

We're duplicating a lot of discussions we already had in the Project thread back then, including most mod talk this thread is about, so I invite you all to read it when you got some time.

PS: I had hope Joyetech would improve their shit when I bought the Primo Mini but it sports the same issues that I experienced previously with the evic VTC mini.

just_the_flu and OldNewbie like this.
  11. Tuck

Tuck Well-Known Member

Which MOD would you use for a preloaded cartridge that says 8 watts on it? I'm a noob here and currently have the cartridges on the battery that came with my yocan evolve plus.

12. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

My brother was saying with his E Cig he needs special coils when he uses TC on his mods or else something could blow. How does this affect the Splinter? Also .. he says there are wattage spikes when in TC mode ... is this only during heatup?

13. SpudBob

SpudBob Member

Lamart uses the Joytech Evic. Is that one bad. I found em for $38 from a online store on sale. Not a clone either!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors