1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

What books are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Vapor Lounge' started by Helios, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Helios

Helios Well-Known Member

Hi, curious what books, novels, everyone is digging into lately? I recently stumbled onto Brandon Sanderson's, Way of Kings and Words of Radiance book one and two of the Stormlight Archive at a used bookstore, which btw are my first reads from this Author. what are you all reading?

2. grampa_herb

grampa_herb http://brave.com

Lively thread.

Re-reading The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

Just finished:
    Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships

3. Silver420Surfer

Silver420Surfer Well-Known Member

Taking my time perusing "The Cellular And Molecular Biology Of Cannabis Sativa For Growers And Gardeners"
    and also, "Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces".

4. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

"The Science of Good Cooking" by Cook's Kitchen

Conduction and convection and radiant heat and more...

5. Winegums

Winegums I make things from wood Accessory Maker

I just finished re-reading Chris Wooding’s “Broken Sky”. It’s written for young audiences but the sci-fantasy world he creates is lovely.

I might re-read the Hobbit or finish The Wheel of Time

6. Helios

Helios Well-Known Member

great read, If you like the science of cooking in that regards, may I suggest Harold McGee " on food and cooking" in some ways its the food science bible.:science:

GetLeft, Morty and Silver420Surfer like this.
  7. ginolicious

ginolicious Well-Known Member

Reading origin right now by Dan Brown.

GetLeft, Helios and Morty like this.
  8. Tanko

Tanko New Member

I like classical iterature, for example Jack London, Erich Maria Remarque, Honore de Balzac.

GetLeft, Morty and Helios like this.
  9. Megaton

Megaton Well-Known Member

Such a good book!

I'm reading the second game of thrones book at the moment after deciding to see what the fuss is about. The first one hooked me, but im struggling with this one, mostly due to the extreme sleep deprevation which comes as a side effect of fatherhood.

10. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

Right now I'm reading "From Sufism to Ahmadiyya: A Muslim minority Movement In South Asia."

11. StickyShisha

StickyShisha Well-Known Member

I just finished Robert heinlein's the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Do you ever get that feeling of not wanting to start a new book because you don't want your mind to leave the world of the one you just finished?

GetLeft, Morty, grampa_herb and 5 others like this.
  12. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

Right now I'm reading a book about the tv series "Last of the summer wine" by Andrew Vine.

I love this silly show, someone turned me onto it with a complete set of all 31 seasons on DVD along with a handful of books about the show, watched the first 10 seasons and now i'm starting on the books. . . good mindless fun.

13. Helios

Helios Well-Known Member

Just started the Sci-fi Trilogy by Pierce Brown "Red Rising" a mix between GOT/ Hunger Games/ I must admit it is a compulsive read. wouldn't be surprised if Hollyweird picked this up.

GetLeft, Morty and RUDE BOY like this.
  14. Skunkport

Skunkport Well-Known Member

Doooo eeett!

[​IMG]

I'll have to check out that Broken Sky series, I've read Chris Wooding's Ketty Jay series and that was good, if a little short and straightforward. The problem with being a Wheel of Time fan is almost everything seems a little short.

Totally bored by Game of Thrones, read the first 4 and it really didn't seem to be going anywhere or have any actual plot other than 'fuck, kill, fuck, kill'. The only character I liked was Jon Snow's pet wolf. I don't rate it as epic fantasy, it's like Dallas with swords and dragons.
    His Egg & Dunk books though, they're good. Short stories is more his forte.

I'm just reading a series by Marc Alan Edelheit on kindle unlimited right now, it's a military fantasy with very strong elements of Roman Empire historical fiction, mixed with a little magic and a scattering of elves and dwarves. It's fairly fast-paced and well-written, if slightly predicable at times, and the author does a good job with tactics and strategy in the battles.
    Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer, I've just started book 3 earlier tonight.

GetLeft, Morty, RUDE BOY and 3 others like this.
  15. Ricardo

Ricardo Well-Known Member

Yes. I remember this TV show from back in the day - Sunday evening, BBC 1 .
    I know this is the wrong thread, but if you liked that I predict you will enjoy this: very different but a similar vibe:
    Detectorists
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4082744/
    :peace:

GetLeft, Morty, Helios and 1 other person like this.
  16. grampa_herb

Just finished Testimony by Scott Turow, a fiction novel about investigating war crimes in Bosnia.

Turow is probably most known for Presumed Innocent which was made into a film starring Harrison Ford. He's my favorite legal drama author.

GetLeft, Morty, Helios and 1 other person like this.
  17. StickyShisha

I listen to a lot of audio books, but I don't think this one would work for me
    Click to play YouTube Video

18. Morty

Morty Well-Zoned Member

Solitude: Seeking Wisdom in Extremes - A Year Alone in the Patagonia Wilderness by Robert Kull

and

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson

19. StickyShisha

Recently found out that there were a bunch more books in the Ender's Game series than I knew about, from when I read the first few, years ago.
    Starting the series over now.

GetLeft, Helios and Skunkport like this.
  20. Dank_Star

Dank_Star In space no one can hear you purr.

The Dune Trilogy by Frank Herbert. I'm also gradually working my way through all of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories as a kind of longer term project.

DirtyD, Gray Area, GetLeft and 4 others like this.
  21. Megaton

I loved the first two dune books @Dank_Star! Still got the third one to read i think.

DirtyD, GetLeft and grampa_herb like this.
  22. Dank_Star

@ Megaton I've started the third and so far enjoying it more than the second.

23. Megaton

Ahh nice @Dank_Star! Well, once i've finished the rest of the GOT books and the third book in Cronin's 'Passage' trilogy (which i am very excited to read!) Ill revisit the Dune world.

GetLeft, Dank_Star and grampa_herb like this.
  24. grampa_herb

Dune stories were great! I've also read most of Conan Doyle's stuff. He wrote one fantasy book I liked a lot, The Lost World, of which there are multiple film versions.

Gray Area, GetLeft, Dank_Star and 2 others like this.
  25. Dank_Star

I wasn't aware that he wrote The Lost World. Love your avatar pic btw

GetLeft and grampa_herb like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors