Weight loss in ABV after vaporizing?

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
notmyrealUSERname said:
akwardsauce said:
i assume you mean a higher extraction percentage?

nice work!

i think that there are a few reasons why our numbers are different;
1 different vapes
2 different vapes used at different temps
3 different scales - mines only good to 0.00g whereas yours goes to 0.000g
4 different stuff inside the vapes
5 i never stirred my crucible, did you?

i only measured the weight when both the crucible and stuff inside where cool, both before and after vapeing.

don't forget that there is some water weight that will be lost during vapeing, probably other stuff too. so i am not convinced that we can completely measure the effectiveness of a vape though weight measurements.

well i actually didnt do any tests because i dont have access to a reliable scale (so i think you quoted me but were talking to frederick?). those are definitely relevant variables in this experiment. i think the accuracy of the scales is not a huge factor in differing percentages, though...as long as they are both reliable, though...

you should both weigh a nickel & see what it displays...i know my scale is so shitty that it may be some crazy number...id have to dig up my scale to even try this...which isnt worth it for me to come back & report a bullshit number (and since my scale wasnt involved in this at all)

akwardsauce,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Yeah, I'm pretty sure USER (lol, that was the best shortening I could come up with) was talking to me.

My scale actually only does 0.00, I've gone to 3 decimal places because sometimes my measurements will keep bouncing between 2 numbers, so I used the average (the difference is always 0.01g, so if it was bouncing between 0.06 & 0.07, I used 0.065.)
Aside from that, everything else you said sounds right, I was just surprised that my extraction rates were doubleing yours.
I also do stir between most hits, it's pretty much required with the ssv...

I also just updated my earlier post to add a run I did with some kif:
Load: 0.06g fresh herb, 0.07g kif = 0.13g total
ABV: 0.065g
Extraction rate: 50%

I should note that I vaped this run a bit harder than usual, but not so much as to make it atypical.

Edit: I'm also plannin on doing a few runs with my solo, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to weigh the stem...

Edit 2: I'm in Australia, so I don't have any nickels handy...
But I do think I might have a quarter hidden away somewhere...
If I do manage to find any US coins, I'll give em a measure to see what they say.

Frederick McGuire,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
double the extraction rate with kif! thats interesting!

i don't have any us coins.

i think you should weigh the solo stem and all, question is when do you weigh it? after each puff, or after the last exhaled cloud, or when the stem has completely cooled down, etc.

notmyrealUSERname,

akwardsauce

so you did a run with fresh herb, fresh kif, & vaped herb? is there a reason that you mixed vaped & fresh?

dont worry about the nickel thing...i think i used it as a calibration because its supposed to be 5 grams (i could be wrong about that so dont hate me if i am). but i havent messed with that scale in so long (the iphone scale)...it came free with my volcano vaporizer so i didnt even make a big deal when i found out it was garbage...i got a good enough deal on the volcano to keep my mouth shut about the balance!

akwardsauce,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Sorry if my graph was unclear, I'll try to explain it a little better:

Each column is made up of 2 sections; the ABV section, and the vapor section.

The height of the whole column is the fresh load,
The ABV section is what I have weighed when I finish a run,
And the vapor section is the difference i.e. What was vaporized.

For the run with some kif, I had a total load of 0.130g, of which 0.070g was kif, and 0.060 was fresh herb.
there was no ABV in there at the beginning

sorry if there was any confusion.

As for when/what I weigh. Here it is:

1a weigh wand, cold, nothing in it.
1b zero scale with wand on it.
2 load wand & weigh it
3a remove wand & zero scale with nothing on it
3b weigh loaded wand
***Vape***
4 weigh completed wand
5 weigh ABV
6 (sometimes) weigh empty wand again.

This gives me:
Unloaded wand (before)
Loaded wand
Actual load
Finished wand
ABV
Unloaded wand (after - sometimes)

But so far I've only been using the Actual Load & ABV weights to calculate things.

As for the temperature of my stuff when it is weighed (would it even make a difference?);
all pre vape weights are cold (obviously), post vape weights vary, usually it's 2-5 minutes after the las hit, but it can be up to an hour after.

I hope that explains everything.

Btw, last night I was grinding up some more herb (7grams), and I got a crazy amount of kif from it (2.45), so I decided to take one for the team in the name of science:
0.200g load, all kif, no other herb.
Fun times.

I also just ordered a 0.001g scale, which i should get in the next week or so.
it was only $35, so its probably not very accurate, but I'll see how it goes.

Frederick McGuire,

akwardsauce

i actually thought your graph was pretty easy to understand.

so, one last thing, did you weigh your wand & tubing or you actually removed the wand & weighed it every time...cuz that sounds annoying as fuck to do every time (i know my wand was hard to connect to the tubing without folds, so once i got it, i havent removed it yet). but i should say that i have the cloudy silicone tubing instead of the clear tubing that comes with it as default...

akwardsauce,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I take the tubing out each time.
My scale isn't big enough to weigh the tubing as well.
I use 7th floor tubing, either the stock clear, or some black I got when I last ordered some stuff from them.

I don't have too much of a problem swapping it out.
How far in to the wand do you slide your tubing? I only put it in about 1-2cm (.5-1inch)

I'm glad my graph is easy enough to understand, I was trying to cram a lot of figures in there...
I just thought it might have been hard to read because you asked about me using ABV, fresh herb & kif in the same run, when I only used fresh & kif...

Frederick McGuire,

akwardsauce

Frederick McGuire said:
I also just updated my earlier post to add a run I did with some kif:
Load: 0.06g fresh herb, 0.07g kif = 0.13g total
ABV: 0.065g
Extraction rate: 50%

that was just from those lines there...your charts are perfect!

akwardsauce,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Ahh, ok, I was saying that I was left with 0.065g ABV after vapeing the 0.130g fresh load.
Glad everything else is good :)

I just realized I forgot to account for the weight gain of my wand in that last run on the graph, I'll update it soon enough to reflect that my wand gained 0.020g after that load.
So the real extraction rate is closer to 50% than 60%.
This was the first time I've used straight kif for a whole load.
The hits were ridiculously thick - it almost looked like smoke in my bong.

I'm definitely going to use a herb bed from now on though, as I've never noticed that much staying in the wand before (I also have never vaped that much kif at one though)

Frederick McGuire,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Just an update for everybody:
I've done about 9 more measurements, 1 of which was with my new 0.001g scales (they were only like $30 from amazon - bargain) - I'll update my graph and post my results soon.

Unfortunately, the 0.001g scales max out at 20g, so I cannot measure the SSV wand with it. but its easy enough to just weigh the actual load...

I will try to get some tests of my other vapes soon, but I mostly use my others when I'm with friends, and i cant exactly measure everything... (I have done 1 test with my vaporstar, which I will add soon too)

Here are my overall stats so far:

Total Fresh: 2.70g (of which 0.76g was kif)
Total ABV: 1.655g
Extraction %: 38.7%

Now for only loads without any kif (these are included in the above stats):
Total Fresh: 1.01g
Total ABV: 0.66g
Extraction %: 34.7%

Frederick McGuire,
Top Bottom