Ways to find out about new music?

MileHigh

I know about Pandora, but it doesn't really work that well IMO. Are there other ways to find out about new stuff on the internet? I have very specific tastes in music and I rarely come across a song I really enjoy, so I have to sift through a bunch of stuff to find something I like.

How do you all find out about new music online?

MileHigh,

Frickr

on my zune, the zune pass has a deal that reccomends new artists to you from the music you already listen to. also has related artists. 15 dollars a month isnt to bad for unlimited downloads.

Frickr,

MileHigh

If you stop paying the 15 can you still listen to the music you've already gotten?

MileHigh,

Frickr

MileHigh said:
If you stop paying the 15 can you still listen to the music you've already gotten?
well for every month you keep the service you get to keep 10 songs permenatly. the rest will stop working once you stop paying the service.

Frickr,

indigal

Amongst the corn
I've actually found a few on Pandora, though I am specific when I make a new "station'..
Also internet radio has turned me on to many a great find. I really love exploring CBC Radio3 (Canada).. there's a lot to mine in the playlists..
NPR All Songs Considered. big public radio fan, I don't listen to commercial radio- I don't care for most of the stuff that tends to be played on popular radio. Friends turn me on to new stuff and then there's the Library Roulette- walk over to the CD stack and pick a handful just based on the name, cover or whatever- works well sometimes!

indigal,

Purple-Days

I'm lucky enough to have this as broadcast FM Radio on a repeater in our town. One of the very few we can tune. Jefferson Public Radio, www.ijpr.org . And available on the web. Open Air from 9-3 weekdays is very random and has things from the new Ringo to ... well Pammy walked into the shop and asked if it was a Hareem. Very eclectic. World Cafe is a national show at 7 PM??? And probably available at a station near you. :peace:

ps. Support Public Radio. :2c:

Haha, wrote that and then read yours. :)

Purple-Days,

MileHigh

Does anyone have any resources that would be specific to hip-hop, reggae or jazz? Those are basically the only genres I ever listen to, besides a bit of classical and opera. I really don't like white people music.

MileHigh,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Purple-Days said:
ps. Support Public Radio. :2c:

Haha, wrote that and then read yours. :)
Yep- do :D

& MileHigh- CBC3, and Pub Radio are both good sources to find the music you specified, color has nothing to do with it- :/ :2c: Just dig a little.

indigal,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
if you like heavy, weird, droning and rockin' click my link for the info on my radio show. my show is specifically designed with the medicated in mind.

SSS,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Years ago my friend Scott picked up Don Van Vliet at the airport; Captain Beefheart was playing at our college that night. He said nothing in the car, stared out the window. Then he shut the radio off abruptly. He told Scott that he doesn't like music.

jeffp,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
the electrician said:
i dont like black people music, i think its talentless and pathetic. what do you say to that?
if you're serious then you're stealing my oxygen.

SSS,

the electrician

i like a mix of tech grind, mathcore, and avant garde because im an awkward little bastard. i dont really have a clue what black guy music is, but no i know nothing of stevie wonder other than he cant see and i dont have a clue who chuck berry is

the electrician,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Start torrenting.
Listen to online radios.
Read music-orientated websites about whats 'new/hot'.
Youtube randomly.
Ask folks on IRC channels what they might like...

Just dive in man, so much good music out there, it's not 'where' to start looking, but really 'when'; NOW!

MileHigh,
What do you like?

SpiralArchitect,

The_Other_Shoe

What's Going On?
To contribute towards finding new music, you can try grooveshark.com as well. It is similar to pandora, yet it allows you to choose specific songs you want to listen to and build playlists. It is free, there is just no downloads. A terrific site and it also can suggest similar music to artists, songs and so forth.

The_Other_Shoe,

itriplots

jeffp said:
Years ago my friend Scott picked up Don Van Vliet at the airport; Captain Beefheart was playing at our college that night. He said nothing in the car, stared out the window. Then he shut the radio off abruptly. He told Scott that he doesn't like music.
ha ha ha That is great, and very believable too. I really like the stuff he did with the magic band, but after that it seems to stray to far from music for me to want to listen to it more than once.

But, about the topic, Amazon is where I go to find new music. There are all sorts of lists people made with music suggestions on it and it is also very convinient to preview a new song/artist.

itriplots,

Persona Non Grata

turn on, tune in, hulk out
last.fm for sure

metal-archives.com if your into that sort of thing

sirius radio plays some cool stuff

Persona Non Grata,

WhispOfVapor

Spotify. You'll have to use british proxy to install that. Google helps: spotify without invite

WhispOfVapor,
Top Bottom