Washington Residents Smoke Way More Weed Than Officials Thought

gangababa

So, @CarolKing, et al, amoung those of you here across the wide Columbia, hear any info on Vancouver store(s) and how will WA deal with OR residents and Canadians?

Oregon will have to car searches at the I-5 bridge river crossing totally stopping traffic for fifty miles.

gangababa,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Marijuana store eyes July opening in Vancouver
Main Street Marijuana would be county's first pot shop
By Sue Vorenberg, Columbian features reporter

Published: June 19, 2014, 9:24 PM

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on gmailMore Sharing Services33

A A
The first recreational marijuana store in Clark County could open on Main Street in Vancouver in about two weeks.

The store, Main Street Marijuana, came in first in the Washington State Liquor Control Board lottery for retailers in Vancouver. The business expects to receive final inspections from the board by the end of the month, said Ramsey Hamide, a manager.

"We're planning on opening the first (of July) or the eighth, depending on the process for the first batch of stores," Hamide said. "The eighth is probably more likely."

The board plans to permit stores around the state to open in groups on those dates, he said.

Main Street Marijuana has been rapidly remodeling what had been the location of Pacific Jewelers.

The store won the lottery under the name of Mary Jane & Friends and is owned by Reid Eickhorst.

Employees have been replacing carpet, painting and installing the security system.

"There's a million little things we're dealing with as far as the license and getting the business ready," Hamide said. "Product, though, is probably the biggest issue right now."

At least one other store in a more eastern part of the city is also planning for a July opening, but owners weren't yet ready to go on the record.

Products may be hard to come by for the first group of stores.

To date only one marijuana producer, CannaMan Farms, has been licensed in Vancouver.

That probably means prices will be a little high to start, but Hamide said the company will do what it can to offset them by offering special deals on glassware or other items.

"It will probably be around $20 to $25 a gram to start," Hamide said. "Then maybe $15 to $20 the first few months and hopefully down to $12 or $15 ongoing. Right now we're trying to get as much stock as we can."

The company so far has no website, public phone number or social media set-up, said Adam Hamide, Ramsey's brother, who will also be a manager at the store.

"We're basically just trying to do a million things at once," Adam Hamide said, adding that some of the regulations on marketing and advertising are strict.

They hope to provide more information for the public soon, the brothers said.

"It's going to be interesting to see how all this progresses," Adam Hamide said.

Anybody can buy as long as you are over 21 and you don't take it over the border into another
State.

Tommy Dukes

Live everyday like it's your last
Washington State Is About to Face a Serious Weed Shortage
https://news.vice.com/article/washington-state-is-about-to-face-a-serious-weed-shortage

Almost a year and a half after voters passed the initiative to legalize recreational marijuana, Washington has no marijuana. The main reason for this is the way the medical marijuana system has been built in the state, and the bureaucratic nightmare that has resulted from this emerging and often stigmatized industry. Out of the 2600 hopeful business owners who have applied for growing licences only 79 were approved. Out of the 79 that were approved recently, many of them are not ready to sell, because marijuana requires several months of growing time. What gives?

CarolKing

Washington pot shops expected to open with high prices, shortages
Rethinking_Pot_Washin_Gasp_t653.jpg

ELAINE THOMPSON / AP

Cannabis City manager Amber McGowan takes the marijuana shop’s first call, from a potential customer, days before the grand opening Wednesday, July 2, 2014, in Seattle. The store expects to begin selling pot Tuesday, July 8, the first day that recreational marijuana can legally be sold in Washington state and is expected to be the first licensed retailer in Seattle.

By Gene Johnson, Associated Press

Monday, July 7, 2014 | 8:09 a.m.

SEATTLE — Washington state issued its first retail marijuana licenses on Monday with a middle-of-the-night email alerting bleary-eyed pot-shop proprietors that they'll finally be able to open for business.

"We're pretty stoked," said John Evich, an investor in Bellingham's Top Shelf Cannabis, in a 2:30 a.m. Pacific time interview with The Associated Press. "We haven't had any sleep in a long time, but we're excited for the next step."

Randy Simmons, the state Liquor Control Board's project manager for legal marijuana, said Sunday night that the first two dozen stores were being notified so early to give them an extra few hours to get cannabis on their shelves before they are allowed to open their doors at 8 a.m. Tuesday — an opening that's expected to be accompanied by high prices, shortages and celebration.

The issuance of the retail licenses marked a major step that's been 20 months in the making. Washington and Colorado stunned much of the world by voting in November 2012 to legalize marijuana for adults over 21, and to create state-licensed systems for growing, selling and taxing the pot.

Sales began in Colorado on Jan. 1.

It remained unclear how many of the pot-shops being licensed in Washington planned to open on Tuesday. Officials eventually expect to have more than 300 recreational pot shops across the state.

At Cannabis City, which will be the first and, for now, only recreational marijuana shop in Seattle, owner James Lathrop worked into the night Sunday placing no-parking signs in front of his building, hoisting a grand-opening banner and hanging artwork before he turned his attention to his email — and the official notification that he was a licensed marijuana dealer.

"I've had a long day. It really hasn't sunk in yet," he said early Monday.

He planned to hold off on opening his store until noon on Tuesday.

"Know your audience: We're talking stoners here," he said. "I'd be mean to say they need to get up at 5 a.m. to get in line."

With the emailed notifications in hand, the shops immediately worked to place their orders with some of the state's first licensed growers. As soon as the orders were received, via state-approved software for tracking the bar-coded pot, the growers could place the product in a required 24-hour "quarantine" before shipping it early Tuesday morning.

The final days before sales have been frenetic for growers and retailers alike. Lathrop and his team hired an events company to provide crowd control, arranged for a food truck and free water for those who might spend hours waiting outside, and rented a portable toilet to keep his customers from burdening nearby businesses with requests to use the restrooms.

At Nine Point Growth Industries, a marijuana grower in Bremerton, owner Gregory Stewart said he and his director celebrated after they worked through some glitches in the pot-tracking software early Monday and officially learned they'd be able to transport their weed 24 hours later, at 2:22 a.m. Tuesday.

"It's the middle of the night and we're standing here doing high-fives and our version of a happy dance," he said. "It's huge for us."

Pot prices were expected to reach $25 a gram or higher on the first day of sales — twice what people pay in the state's unregulated medical marijuana dispensaries. That was largely due to the short supply of legally produced pot in the state. Although more than 2,600 people applied to become licensed growers, fewer than 100 have been approved — and only about a dozen were ready to harvest by early this month.

Nevertheless, Evich said his shop in Bellingham wanted to thank the state's residents for voting for the law by offering $10 grams of one cannabis strain to the first 50 or 100 customers. The other strains would be priced between $12 and $25, he said.

The store will be open at 8 a.m. Tuesday, he said, but work remained: trimming the bathroom door, cleaning the floors, wiping dust off the walls and, of course, stocking the shelves.

In Seattle, among those who planned to buy some of the first pot at Cannabis City was Alison Holcomb, the lawyer who drafted Washington's law. She said it was a good opportunity to remind people of the big-picture arguments for ending nearly a century of prohibition and displacing the black market, including keeping nonviolent, adult marijuana users out of jail; redirecting profits away from criminal groups; and ending racial disparities in who gets busted.

CarolKing

They say the cost will go down in price when there is more product. It will be double for a while compared to medical stores.

What I am afraid of is the state artificially causing a shortage so the cost will continue to be high,
then do away with MMJ. :evil:I don't believe the state wants to continue MMJ, it interferes with their profits.

Last edited:

Enchantre

Oil Painter
They say the cost will go down in price when there is more product. It will be double for a while compared to medical stores.

What I am afraid of is the state artificially causing a shortage so the cost will continue to be high,
then do away with MMJ. I don't believe the state wants to continue MMJ, it interferes with their profits.
So, talk to your elected representatives. MMJ is protected by state law (R.C.W.), and cannot be "done away with" without legislative vote. I seriously doubt that, with more and more states establishing a MMJ access, anything will be done to shut down our system here.

However, once the initial shortage of recreational weed is past, and more growers on online, I can see the prices falling to just a bit over MMJ dispensary prices.

215z

I don't believe the state wants to continue MMJ, it interferes with their profits.
Washington state makes just as much money off medical cannabis as they will recreational cannabis. They have no monetary incentive to shutdown the MMJ program, which they cannot do given Washington courts will enforce Washington law.

CarolKing

And here it is: The 24 Washington marijuana shops that are licensed to start selling retail cannabis to consumers 21 and older on July 8 — and, imagine this, only one of them is in Seattle:

1. Whidbey Island Cannabis Company
360-221-1131
5826 S. Kramer Road, Langley

2. Westside 420 Recreational
360-423-5261
4503 Ocean Beach Hwy., Longview

3. Verde Valley
509-833-5800
4007 Main St., Union Gap

4. Top Shelf Cannabis
360-224-3735
3857 Hannegan Road, Bellingham

5. The Happy Crop Shoppe
509-669-6835
50 Rock Island Road, East Wenatchee

6. Spokane Green Leaf
509-496-5696
9107 N. Country Homes Blvd., Spokane

7. Space
206-650-8908
3111 S. Pine St., Tacoma

8. Satori/Instant Karma
509-994-7051
9301 N. Division St., Spokane

9. New Vansterdam
901-335-7688
6515 E. Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver

10. Margie’s Pot Shop
509-369-2022
405 E. Stueben, Bingen

11. Main Street Marijuana
425-429-4797
2314 Main St., Vancouver

12. High Time Station
509-754-2373
1448 Basin St. NW, Ephrata

Keep reading and see the other 12 Washington marijuana shops licensed to open July 8

1 2 All Next
TOPICS: JULY 8, WASHINGTON, WASHINGTON MARIJUANA SHOPS

Last edited:

CarolKing

Seattle’s pot store opens: It’s time to ‘free the weed’
Posted by Matt Kreamer
It’s time to “free the weed,” Cannabis City owner James Lathrop said, shortly before opening the doors to Seattle’s first pot store shortly after noon.

The weed isn’t free, of course. It’s going for about $20 a gram. But there are plenty of buyers ready, including some notables such as Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes and Alison Holcomb, author of the state’s legal pot law.

“Today marijuana sales became legal and I’m here to personally exercise that new freedom,” Holmes said.

Then the crowd started a countdown to “high noon,” though the store officially opened a few minutes later.

lathrop-620x465.png

Cannibis City owner James Lathrop (center) shortly after cutting the police tape “ribbon” to open Seattle’s first pot store. Photo by Times staff reporter Evan Bush.

They aren’t the first buyers in the state — two stores opened at 8 a.m., including Top Shelf Cannabis in Bellingham.

Cale Holdsworth and Sarah Gorton of Kansas, who arrived about 4 a.m., were first in line there to buy a portion of the store’s 20-plus pounds of pot that was delivered earlier in the morning. By the time the store opened, dozens of others had joined them in line.

PotSales_176_mh-300x200.jpg

Cale Holdsworth of Kansas celebrates buying the first bag of pot at Top Shelf in Bellingham. Photo by Times staff photographer Mark Harrison

Store owners initially planned to sell their more-than-20 pounds of pot two grams at a time, but this morning, citing fewer people than expected, said they would allow people to buy up to an ounce, the maximum allowed under the law. A second Bellingham store had todelay its planned Tuesday morning openinglate Monday because of supply issues.

In dry heat steadily climbing to a high of 101, scores of customers waited outside Altitude in Prosser for their first legal purchase.

Manager Tim Thompson and his team of 18 employees passed out water to the crowd, which began lining up around 5 a.m.

“We’re grateful to have them and keep them hydrated,” Thompson said.

Sixty customers and an hour and a half after Altitude’s doors opened at 8 a.m., the grapefruit strain was sold out, and their querkle, a hybrid indica-sativa, was almost sold out.

Altitude expects to receive new shipments every day from Fireweed Farms in Prosser.

The store will remain open until noon today and will be open the rest of the week from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.

“We’re doing soft openings just for this week and just to get our employees adjusted and get supplies and everything up to date,” Thompson said.

Cannabis City, meanwhile, held a a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 11:30. The line outside the Sodo shopstarted forming Monday afternoon.

First in line was Deborah Greene, a 65-year-old grandmother who arrived Monday afternoon with a trenta black iced tea lemonade from Starbucks, a roast beef sandwich, chips, a folding chair and a sleeping bag.

Greene, who is retired from the insurance industry, decided on a whim to wait in line to witness history.

“My old supplier just texted me, said, ‘I saw you on TV. Now I know why you’re not calling me,’” she said this morning.

Only five stores statewide are expected to open today; the other two are in Spokane and Kelso.

For more information about the state’s new legal pot market and for updates throughout the day, visitThe Evergreen, The Seattle Times’ new pot blog.

Times staff reporters Bob Young, Evan Bush, Colleen Wright and Andy Mannix contributed to this report.

90 COMMENTS | More in NEWS | Topics: MARIJUANA

From around the web
Selected for you by a Sponsor
7 Seattle Food Trucks That Live Up to the HypeZagat
10 States That Aren't Pulling Their Own Economic Weight

215z

Are are of these new Washington dispensaries posting their menu online, with price and THC%?

CarolKing

They don't have a lot of inventory at this point. I looked online, I didn't see any menus for the rec stores. Most stores will sell out but some will be getting more inventory tomorrow is what I've read and seen on the news. It said prices will be about $20 a gram and you can only get 2 grams at most places. I see one store is charging $28 for 2 grams, that's not terrible.

I feel very secure with my mmj supply at hand. Glad I don't have to be one of the herd standing in line. It's hot here in SW Washington, it will be in the mid 80s. We're just getting used to the higher temps around here.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

GeekyGodiva

Happy Hairy Herbal Faerie
I live closer to New Vansterdam than Main Street Marijuana, so when I go to a shop it will be NV. They plan to open on 7/11 and have gorgeous countertops.

MindFork

Part-Time Toker
I kind of love being out of the standard news loop. I just happened to see a headline online today that retail sales finally started, so I came here looking for a post.

I'm glad that things are finally rolling, and hopefully pricing will come down to fairly close to MMJ levels in a few months. Until then, I'll keep giving my MMJ friend a ride to pick up his gear. :-)

MindFork,
Reactions: Enchantre

Chill Dude

They don't have a lot of inventory at this point. I looked online, I didn't see any menus for the rec stores. Most stores will sell out but some will be getting more inventory tomorrow is what I've read and seen on the news. It said prices will be about $20 a gram and you can only get 2 grams at most places. I see one store is charging $28 for 2 grams, that's not terrible.

I feel very secure with my mmj supply at hand. Glad I don't have to be one of the herd standing in line. It's hot here in SW Washington, it will be in the mid 80s. We're just getting used to the higher temps around here.

My wife and I just got back from Seattle. I was going tho head down to Cannabis City to buy a couple grams and take a picture Lol, but I decided against it since I saw the big line on the local news. No worries though, I brought a gram of Fire Og shatter and my Dabbler pen vape with me.

We had an awesome time in Seattle. What a great city!! Went to Capital Hill one night and put my dabbler to work. It was actually pretty cool as there were a lot people using MJ around all the restaurants and bars. It seems joints and pen Vapes were the most popular method of consumption. I even ended up clubbing with some post Nirvana grunge rock types who, by the way, were much younger and cooler than we were (well maybe not cooler). We had a great time and saw some good bands. The Dabbler handled the heavy workload famously lol...

Hopefully, they will get the recreational Cannabis program up and running smoothly soon.

Anyway, all you that live in Seattle what a great city with a cool vibe and friendly people! A beautiful oceanfront, Downtown, Bellltown, Queen Anne, Capital Hill....I loved it all! It was kind of hot though. Really weird it was high 80s in Seattle and low 70s in San Diego. That doesn't happen often....

IDK, next time I'll go in the winter and with the persistent gloom I might not like it as much. When it comes to cold weather us San Diegan's are pretty wimpy!!!

CarolKing

July 17, 2014 in City, Health
Washington state agency sets rules for pot edibles
Jim Camden The Spokesman-Review
Tags:edible marijuana productsI-502Initiative 502legal potLiquor Control Boardmarijuanamarijuana sales
Marijuana stores in Washington won’t be allowed to sell lollipops, gummy bears or other candies infused with the drug, but will be able to sell properly labeled brownies and cookies, a state agency decided Wednesday.

The Liquor Control Board approved rules for marijuana-infused food products, also known as edibles, designed to restrict items that may appeal strongly to children.

Banned will be products that could easily be mistaken for candies commonly sold to children.

Lollipops, gummy bears and cotton candy can sometimes be found in medical marijuana dispensaries not regulated by the board, but won’t be allowed in state-licensed recreational marijuana stores.

The rules will allow marijuana-infused cookies or brownies providing those products have labels clearly listing the number of doses each contains.

If an item has multiple doses, the cookie or brownie must be scored to indicate the size of a single dose, and the dosage must be consistent throughout the item, said Becky Smith, the agency’s marijuana licensing and regulations manager.

Doses from different parts of the food item will have to be tested to ensure they have the same amount of psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, Smith said.

Kitchens also will have to pass inspections.

The state currently has no licensed marijuana processors producing edible products for recreational users, but those items are popular in Colorado, the only other state that has legalized marijuana for recreational use by adults, and with some medical marijuana users across the country.

Washington recreational stores only can sell marijuana products grown and processed in the state by licensed businesses.

Any Washington processor planning to produce an edible product will have to submit photos of the item and its label to the agency for approval, said Karen McCall, the rules coordinator. The agency will approve or disapprove it within two days, and a processor can appeal.

The agency has issued licenses to more than 100 marijuana growers around the state, most of them who also intend to process the drug into packages for individual or other products, Smith said.

The number of licensed stores remains at just over two dozen more than a week after the first stores opened, with not all of them operating. Some that are open have problems obtaining marijuana to sell, Smith said.
Pot_tarts.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom