Washington Medical Mess? Not really: Washington decides not to shut down dispensaries

Yes, mess is a massive understatement. Shit... I did a lot of research before voting yes on 502, and this was never kicked around as something that could happen. I really hope the ACLU is going to step up and protect the rights sick people were granted by the popular vote in 1998.

It seems obvious the state has to hurry up and get the medical access gutted well before their shitty mcpot shops open. Once patients see how bullshit the business model is with their own eyes, they'll be much more vocal about any attempt to make the medical rules similar.

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
The aclu hasn't done much in Oregon to protect patient rights. I believe there needs to be medical protection separate from recreational concerns - mainly, not letting them take away grower rights. It's a money game. I've disagreed w/ most OR/WA proposals because they try selling the idea as a means for the gov to rob patients even harder through taxation/fees. They've considered mj evil forever, but now it's ok if they can profit? hypocrites. There are actual efforts being made to tax backyard vegetable gardens. Beware of any terminology like 'agricultural use and zoning'. Southern Or sheriffs tried pulling this crap to further criminalize/control grows. The 1st line in the OR mmj law is that mmj is to be treated like every other prescription. Every line after that contradicts this statement. Could you imagine how up in arms the aclu would be if the gov harassed any other sick people taking legal meds like they do those who choose mmj?

I just can't see this ending well for the state either way. If they fail to gut the medical rules, their stores are going to look so shit by comparison. If they do cripple the medical, they are in for a little lesson about cats and bags. All the thousands of people who have built their life around this for the last decade+ are just going to quietly go away? They legalized it, and now are trying to draft rules to prohibit already accepted behavior... I wonder just who they think will enforce this since it's no longer a crime, and not the police's concern anymore.

Maybe they'll run crying to the justice dept and hope they only go after the "bad" people who are violating federal laws. :lol:

The author of 502, as well as the schmuck they have drafting policy on the recreational market are both vocally anti-mmj, and I've seen similar criticism from other relatively liberal folks that the movement should be counting as allies. They seem all hung up on the word MEDICINE. It can't be medicinal if a doc isn't micromanaging it all, and big pharma/brother didn't say it's ok! Well fine, it's not fucking medicine then. It is an extremely potent and effective homeopathic remedy that requires doctor authorization. All cannabis issues aside, it would be great if the "M" word could be reclaimed for the people, and society at large could regain the lost concept that you are capable of treating yourself!

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
Yeah, big pharma doesn't like getting their toes stepped on. There are billions of dollars spent every year to suppress/criminalize/discredit homeopathic/natural medicines. FDA always wants a piece of the action as well. If you spend enough millions/billions you can get a drug marketed. If you kill enough people, they might pull the product from the shelf.

Snake Plissken,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
If the states legislators decide that they will go along with voters if they vote for recreational cannabis in their state, they are only seeing dollars signs. The states want revenue that's fine.

Medical cannabis stores can specialize in the therapeutic area, and still should exist even though recreational cannabis will be available in Washington. It seems like they have been left in the dust in all this. I don't think that is what the voters intended on happening.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Armed guards are allowed in Colorado cannabis shops, the first amendment is very important in CO, but not in Washington state. Even though shops will possibly dealing with just cash (if banking industry doesn't change) WA state laws says cannabis and guns don't mix. So no armed guards in WA.

Recently a cannabis patient was charged in a shooting. Two armed men came into his home and tried to rob him of his medical cannabis, they actually tied him up, somehow the man got his gun and shot one of the robbers. Now he is being charged in the shooting.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

Caligula

Maximus
Armed guards are allowed in Colorado cannabis shops, the first amendment is very important in CO, but not in Washington state. Even though shops will possibly dealing with just cash (if banking industry doesn't change) WA state laws says cannabis and guns don't mix. So no armed guards in WA.

First of all, that's terrible! Why is this not national news? Maybe thats a result of said restrictions? In any case, I would never live in a state that restricts my first amendment rights.

Secondly... what does that have to do with guns and/or MJ?

Caligula,

CarolKing

It has to do with a person needs to be protected in their own home
First of all, that's terrible! Why is this not national news? Maybe thats a result of said restrictions? In any case, I would never live in a state that restricts my first amendment rights.

Secondly... what does that have to do with guns and/or MJ?

I read this article in the newspaper then saw it online. I thought it was interesting how the cannabis laws vary from state to state.

I apologize if I posted it in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

CarolKing

The person was treated unjustly in my opinion because he was a cannabis patient. If he had been protecting his home and life from intruders, I think he would have been treated different because cannabis is involved a different story.

I dont know all the details of this case but, IMO I think the legal system was prejudice against this person.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

CarolKing

Washington state isn't thinking about what's best for the medical marijuana patients with the new rec. cannabis law. Medical cannabis dispensaries will not exist after the states new rec cannabis stores open up sometime in 2014. The state makes 6.5% tax on the medical cannabis but will be making 40% tax on the rec cannabis. It's not profitable enough for them to continue med cannabis. The powers that be want to make as much money from taxes as possible.

Who knows what the actual price for cannabis will be? They may even price people out of the market. Who knows what kind of quality it will be? Folks could go back to black market cannabis.

Who knows what will happen to the med cannabis for sure, but the only way the state would allow them to exist, if they could make the 40% tax on med cannabis too. This will be an interesting year in the Evergreen State. I hope the state will make provisions for med cannabis. I don't see it happening unless there's an amendment to the law or a new law is put in place.

People may have to make a petition for the voters to decide on a medical cannabis law separate from rec cannabis.

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
This is what happens when explicit language protecting grower and patient rights is not included in the original bill. I highly doubt the gov is going to embrace new criteria which cuts their profit. This is why I always complain and argue against bills/measures that don't include these protections, yet encourage gov cooperation through ridiculous taxation. I've always felt that bribing our way into legalization at this kind of expense to the user was not only hypocritical but so obviously destined to bite us in the ass. Of course it will encourage black market, like all other gov controlled medicines.

Washington state isn't thinking about what's best for the medical marijuana patients with the new rec. cannabis law. Medical cannabis dispensaries will not exist after the states new rec cannabis stores open up sometime in 2014.
This is not true. The Washington State Liquor Control Board has recommended something along those lines. We currently don't know exactly what the future holds for MMJ in WA. There are also people working to get medical lasting legal protection. Let's all hope for the best!

CarolKing

There's all these ideas floating around confusing the public, me included. The legislature is talking about all these possible amendments to the medical marjijuana law. They are talking about eventually not allowing the collective gardens. Maybe only allowing one type of state regulated grow operations throughout the state.

I hope all the changes come out in favor of medical cannabis. For patients to be able to get their medicine at reasonable prices and the high quality they've been accustomed to.

I just read from the website. WA FAQ on mmj (up above) says that there will be no medical cannabis dispensaries, just the State Liquor Control Board Cannabis Stores.

I did make some errors in the above post, especially the last sentence, there is already separate medical cannabis laws.

So if I've garbled the facts in all this I'm sincerely sorry.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: Enchantre

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Hey, it's all good.
The "collective gardens", the publications, and any random group of MMJ people in WA is screaming that we're about to be taken over by the LCB. It's been pushed for so long, many people are completely convinced that it has already happened.

This is a short session year, right? Legislature is not going to spend a whole lotta time on MJ, and LESS on MMJ. The critical issues, as I see it (from the fringes, mind you), is MJ vs. Banking, Feds, and Security. A very important issue that they WILL have to deal with, is local control over locales for retail stores.

It's good that we all keep aware, and it very well COULD get messy.

MindFork

Part-Time Toker
Wow, it sucks that WA is so totally dysfunctional in regards to MMJ and legal MJ. Colorado makes WA look like a bunch of chumps. They're legal and selling TONS (literally) of product, and the MMJ people's rights aren't being infringed.

MindFork,

PNWMMJ

The wa LCB is a bunch of obtuse chumps. Wa mmj is fucked is the lcb gets its way.

PNWMMJ,

Dr. Plutonious

Being a dual citizen I bounce between Seattle and Vancouver a lot, especially since I got family on both sides of the border.

But man, everyday I'm happier and happier I live in BC currently with all this BS in Washington.

Dr. Plutonious,
Reactions: grokit
Yeah, I wrote some factual explanation of the situation, and quoted reliable sources. Then I realized that I had already done that once in this very thread. [snip] Let the fear-mongering resume.

sasNW

This is the same as if Toyota suggested ford shut down... And now everyone thinks ford is fucked?!? Because of a suggestion?

There is nothing official shutting down co-ops in WA just suggestions by the board. Of course they want medical gone, as I'm sure most businesses would be rather happy with their cheaper competitor gone. But just because they suggested it doesn't make it close to happening. Good amount of false info on this thread, thanks @mrboote and @Enchantre for throwing in some facts.

And if Colorado makes our medical scene look like chumps, then out medical scene makes them look money hungry.
I can get anything you can find in Colorado within a few blocks in Seattle, and soooo much cheaper. Check out our 25%THC strains for $10/g to there's for $25/g lol. You all feel free to go to Colorado and us Washingtonians will enjoy our delicious, cheap, high quality mmj. And it's not leaving yet, let's wait for some facts

The mmj system will stand for awhile longer, it seems. :cool: Some highlights from another (semi-sensationalist) article:

"Will it expose the MMJ to a federal crackdown?"

“It’s fair to say it’s definitely an increase in risk,” he [chair of the House Finance Committee] said.

Yes sir, since dispensaries will continue to exist in physical reality, instead of being not there any more... That does does increase the risk from 0% to some number! There are a few tidbits of information in this salty stew of speculation:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana...ul-in-washington-will-feds-storm-collectives/

Top Bottom