1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Vriptech Heat Wand

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by stonemonkey55, Nov 12, 2008.

1. stonemonkey55

stonemonkey55 Chief Vapor Officer Manufacturer

Yeah, if you watch the video, you will notice that the light comes on periodically for a few seconds, but for the most part, remains off once it reaches the desired temperature. I don't really base my inhales on when the light is on or off as I'm pretty sure the controller doesn't allow the temperature to fluctuate all that much.

If you have it on the max temp setting and do super slow inhales, there might be a small chance at combustion, but I think for the most part, you would have to be deliberately trying to make it combust in order to get that result.

2. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect ? & beyond

Awesome.... I actually just remembered I own a Blue Dot bong but it's sitting at my friends house, unused in Seattle!!! This is looking like it may be my next vape purchase. Looking forward to it. :brow:

Has anyone else picked one up? How did you get yours so early dude?

3. stonemonkey55

I took the silicone sleeve off so that you guys can get a chance to look at the intricate glass work on the VHW. Not too sure if you can see the intakes in these pictures but the way they are angled makes the air flow in double helix type of pattern to induce the venturi effect. I don't know how much this actually adds to the vaprizor's performance but as you can tell by the video, you get really high vapor to air ratios without the vapor ever tasting remotely smokey. It's a bit tougher to tell, and even though ceramic doesn't off gas until much higher temperatures, I think it's pretty sweet that the heating element is also encapsulated in glass. I can see the VHW having a very good relationship with your blue dot! :brow. To answer your question, I just happened to contact Mark the day he came back with a working VHW and lower intake. The first couple ones were all hand blown, including the lower intake and they began creating tools so that they could start standardizing the pieces. Long story short, because of the delays (the lower intake proved to be very tricky for some reason, I forget), I just happen to have the first functioning commercial VHW. As far as I know, the actual ship date should be sometime this week:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. SpiralArchitect

Awesome man, thanks for those pictures.... I'm starting to really crave one now, and that spiral design -- fuck, of course I am a fan! :p

I'm a bit curious about the length of the cord however.... do you have any specs on that? I'd hope for something super long so that you can pass it around the room, instead of people having to rotate around the power outlet. :/

By the way bro, your going to have to use a different hosting site for your signature picture -- CoolText doesn't allow hotlinking.

5. hazy

hazy dreamer Manufacturer

After watching that video, you're really making me want one of these. I'm a bit late to the party and I'm getting confused with all the terminology (also I haven't owned any kind of pipe for many years). Were you saying that the whole setup costs $275? So that's the bong, the glass stem, the glass bowl, and the wand all together in a kit?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is the temperature adjustable? If so, is it a separate control unit, or on the wand itself? Does it work well with small bits of weed? Do the glass bowl and stem get too hot to touch?

The only problem I see with this setup is that I'd be concerned about dropping it, and the hot wand lying around. Other than that, it looks great.

6. stonemonkey55

Hazy my friend, how are you doing? Have you had a chance to practice some capoeira with the group you met? Anyhow to answer your questions, yes, there is an adjustable temperature control located on the heat wand itself. I had wanted to make my own heat wand with one of the high end Hakkos but couldn't find one with a built in heat dial, they all needed to be hooked up to a separate controller.

So for $275 you will get: $100 VHW (with the broform special), $50 Shorty VCB, $125 Pro Water Tool, hopefully he will come out with a 007 kit for the VHW, that will be sweet and allow for easy travel. The VHW works well with with whatever amount of herb you would like to use although the PD is still the more efficient vaporizer.

One of the disadvantages of the all the glass set up is that it is more fragile. The silicone on the outside shields you from getting burned but is still warm to the touch.

Spiral - I measured the length of the cord and it is 6 feet long. Not extremely long but not really short either. I have mine connected to an extension cord to make it easier to pass around. On a side note, I do recall Mark saying that the 240v VHWs have a 8 foot cord and maybe the next gen of VHWs might have the longer cord. Honestly, it could be longer but the length of the cord doesn't inhibit you from normal use when passing it around

7. hazy

hazy dreamer Manufacturer

Thanks stonemonkey, haven't been able to do anything for a few weeks due to a small health problem (which I've mostly recovered from), and now it's the summer holiday season and everything basically shuts down for a while, so hopefully I'll be able to get onto it some time in the new year.

I've just read through the whole thread and I realise some of my questions have already been answered :rolleyes:. I also looked at the vriptech site and I'm starting to get a better idea of what this is all about. For the uninitiated then:
    VHW = the heat wand
    VCB = the glass piece that allows the VHW to seal against it
    VWT (pro version) = the bong including a glass-on-glass stem with integrated bowl

If possible it would be good to see a clear closeup of the VWT featuring the GonG joint and the steel mesh in the bowl, and another shot with the VCB mounted as well. Sorry for being a bit clueless about this, but I'm having trouble visualising all the details exactly.

Since I started vapourising, I've realised that I'd like to be able to completely vapourise small amounts of weed in one hit (like pulling a bong I guess). I was reading on the vrip site about "full-spectrum" vapour. Is that was this implies?

I think that the Pelican case is a must for this setup :cool:

8. stonemonkey55

Hazy - You got it on all the abbreviations, although I was incorrectly calling the Pro Vaporization Water Tool PWT, instead of VWT. I will post up a picture later on today that will show you how everything works together.

As far as your desire to completely vaporize a small amount in one hit, I think the Purple Days would be your only that can do that due to the size and shape of it's stem. What I can tell you is that next to the Purple Days, this unit produces the highest vapor to air ratio of all my other vaporizers. It is possible to vape an entire bowl in 2-4 hits, but unfortunately, the one hitter is not possible with this unit. Even with the PD, it sometimes takes 2-3 hits to clear an entire bowl. I guess the flipside is, with the way the vapor tastes coming out of this thing, you'll want to be taking more hits :o

9. SpiralArchitect

Really? Even with a large bong and killer lungs like myself? When I use to rip the bong daily, I could take a .5-.7 bong snap with the greatest of ease....

How does this compare to the Herborizer in delivering those one-hitters? IIRC, you do own one, right?

10. stonemonkey55

SA ? I was just speaking in terms of my own lung power, I think you could potentially clear a bowl in one hit if you were to have the following factors:

1 ? someone with huge lungs
    2 ? a higher than normal vaporizing temperature
    3 ? dry herbs

The performance differences between the Herbo and the VHW are minimal. I believe the VHW to be the slightly better performing unit between the two but in a beauty pageant, the Herbo takes the cup. I would consider the Herbo if you want something 100% handsfree, if you prefer the standard wand set up for the SSV, then the VHW will be more up your alley. I have no issues with the stainless steel heating element (it holds it?s temperature extremely steady) with the Herbo but I wish it were encapsulated in glass like the VHW.

11. SpiralArchitect

Yeah I hear ya.... I've never owned a standard vaporizer (my VW is handsfree). So yeah, I think it will be a nice change. And for the price of the Herbo Injector I could get 2 of these puppies. :cool: Hopefully vriptech will reply to my email quickly so I can put in an order and maybe try it out before new years.

12. youdontknowme

youdontknowme Well-Known Member

Exactly, that pretty much sums up what I was going for in my "Big hits, small doses" thread. FWIW, I've been able to try out a PD a few times now, and while I'm not going to knock its claims of efficiency or anything else, I am going to say that even if the bowl is completely vaporized it still does not deliver the same strength of hit even as my VB. This is probably due to the size and design of the bowl. At this point I am basically saving up for the Herborizer XL Sphere, hopefully get it around spring, we'll see. I think what sold me on the Herbo is the potential for more hands-free action, but if you want you can throw the element on to a GonG piece to get that pipe feeling.

13. stonemonkey55

The PD just has a different feel to it. It has such a constricted air flow, that you can't help but get thick vapor hits. If you were to hit the VHW just as slow, I guess there is a possibility you can clear the bowls in one hit but I don't like vaping that way. I just like inhaling and exhaling at the pace that I want to and the VHW does a pretty good job of readjusting it's temperature so that your vapor won't be too light or too smokey.

I wish I could figure out a way to make the VHW hands free, maybe in the next gen versions, that could be a possibility. Still, I am very satisfied with the VHW in it's current form. The custom glass piece on the VHW does come off it you want it to, so I could definitely envision different glass pieces in the future, hands free, gong joints, etc etc.

hazy - still haven't forgot to put the photo where the VCB connects to the VWT, but will do so sometime today.

14. KeepCalm

KeepCalm Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer

Just have him look at a site like tokecity.com and hopefully he'll realize he's nuts for ignoring the gong world. The bowl NEEDS a gong joint!!

15. stonemonkey55

KC - are you referring to a GonG joint for the bowl to the waterpipe? or a GonG joint for the heatwand to the bowl? Man, if only a few of us would email VRIPtech and request this product so he doesn't think that I'm the only one here that wants GonG joints

16. stonemonkey55

Here's the pic of the current stem and how it goes into the VWT. They said it was designed this way to mimic the act of clearing a waterpipe...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. SpiralArchitect

Seems like a complicated setup for something that could be much simpler; a ground glass bowl piece with the large 'wide bowl' for the herbs and where you stick in the wand. One piece, simple and easy. Put a screen in that sucker and your ready to rock.

18. vtac

vtac vapor junkie Staff Member

Count me as one who likes the current design (in theory at least, I haven't tried it). Ground glass joints are sick, but for something that gets pulled a lot, and by clumsy people, an airtight faux-GonG connection is cool.

sm5, please stop teasing us. When can I actually buy one? :p (Just kidding, thanks for the pics)

ataxian likes this.
  19. stonemonkey55

Vtac, he sent me an email saying that they got the tooling finished for the intake and have made a few pieces that work and make the proper seal with the VHW. I took that to mean that he would be shipping out VHWs shortly as that was the final piece holding everything up.

SA - I've tried to convince Mark to basically do what you described. He says that in the future, those will be likely features that would be added, but he had experimented with a few different designs and like Vtac had alluded to, you will be pulling this thing in and out quite a bit and found that the GonG weren't holding up as well as he would like (he did mention that he met some guy that did loose gong joints that would pull apart easier). The two piece design does come in handy for when you need to clean and remove screens though.

With my Herbo, I just tend to leave the heat injector in and just sit back and take huge vapor rips. Whereas with the VHW, I'll remove it after every other hit as I'm talking or just taking breaks in between inhales. While I do enjoy taking hits from a hands free perspective (like with the Herbo), sometimes I just miss the ritual of lighting a fresh bowl with a glass water pipe and taking a huge rip. With the VHW, I always feel like it mimics that's ritual so well and one of the main reasons I love it so much asides from the kick ass vapor quality.

I made some edits above because the grammar was horrible, I blame it on one too many sessions with the VHW :ninja::uhoh::o:D

20. stonemonkey55

My wife had to work today so I did't have any help taking a picture of this, but was just getting creative with the VHW...:D

[​IMG]

21. stickstones

stickstones Eccentric of mist Staff Member

I love your creativity, monkey!

Funny you talk about ritual with a bong. I felt the same way when I started vaping...the VG was a nice transition to a new ritual. I look forward to the day when vaping is the ritual everyone is trying to satisfy, instead of trying to mimic smoking!

Sounds like a 'give peace a chance ad'!

ataxian likes this.
  22. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Well-Known Member

Video=Wow...Thank you very much.

23. stonemonkey55

Just started off Xmas with a nice VRIP :D I took my three dogs to the dog park and it started snowing. I live 15 minutes south of San Francisco and it almost never snows here. I can't remember the last time it snowed but it's usually at least 5-10 years in between. My dogs have never seen snow and were having a lot of fun.

On a side note, Shooting the video was fun, I didn't realize how hard it is to just talk about something without preparing any notes but I never claimed to be a pro. If there was only a job to be a vaporizer reviewer, just like being a food critic. That'd be awesome!

SS - I'll be a very happy man when one day, vaporizing becomes it's own ritual. Someone on another forum posted this link about him talking about being introduced to a vaporizer by his caucasian friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOI8...111637-kat-williams-discusses-vaporizers.html

I don't know what your favorite method of smoking was but mine was waterpipes, joints, blunts, then pipes. This is one of the main reason I love the VHW so much, being able to get thick, clean tasty vapors while still performing the ritual most familiar and satisfying to me. Since I'm vaping a bit less these days, I don't mind all the extra prep work of getting the ice crushed (I don't have an ice maker and have to crush it in a food processor) and prepping the glass because the pay off is unbelievable. I just sit back and take ice cooled vapor hits and think about the good times in Jamaica and how they say the good herb makes you feel closer to the earth...sweet feeling, happy holidays!

Honeybear - thanks for the good review on the video, I did it just for fun but I'm happy that someone enjoyed it as well.

24. stonemonkey55

Hey guys, Mark asked me to ask you guys to get some feedback on the potential new logo, thoughts?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

25. SpiralArchitect

Top, totally. That is some cool shit. The bottom looks 'Nickelodeon' in comparison.

Tell Mark he hasn't replied to my inquiry from about a week ago. Spiral wants one of these bad boys!!!! :p //edit// nvm, just checked my inbox! A Christmas surprise. :D

I'm with you stonemonkey, my favorite way to toke was always a bong. I just loved the big clouds, the ritual of preparing your self, the bubbles, all the cool add-ons and nice ice cooled hits. I am seriously looking forward to this. I talked to my friend and my Bluedot should be in the mail by the end of the year, he was very apologetic about having not sent it, it's ok though. :) Can't wait!

Do you use a diffuser with this puppy? I kinda wish I still had my huge bong just to try it with this.... I guess it is a trade-off. I saw it at my friends the other day and it was just nasty with resin, hes putting it to good use. :brow:

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors